ADVERTISEMENT

Corporate legal scholars of the OT board. A question...

WVUCOOPER

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Dec 10, 2002
Or tech nerds I guess.

How is Nextar allowed to keep CBS from me while they fight DirecTV? Also, my HD antenna won't pick up CBS - does fine with ABC, Fox, NBC. College football and NFL seasons are coming up. Who will help me sue?

Reactions: Airport
Or tech nerds I guess.

How is Nextar allowed to keep CBS from me while they fight DirecTV? Also, my HD antenna won't pick up CBS - does fine with ABC, Fox, NBC. College football and NFL seasons are coming up. Who will help me sue?

I'm pissed. I called and told D-TV to give me another CBS channel. They said they couldn't "by law". I said how could they then charge me full price while not providing me with my full list of channels I'm paying for. Their response was = ummm, sorry?

Reactions: WVUCOOPER
I'm pissed. I called and told D-TV to give me another CBS channel. They said they couldn't "by law". I said how could they then charge me full price while not providing me with my full list of channels I'm paying for. Their response was = ummm, sorry?
DirecTV is garbage, but this clearly seems like a Nextar fault. They own "public" channels and are asking for double what the last contract paid? Sheesh. WOWK is so pathetic you can't pick it up if you were beside the tower.

If you live in a place where a digital antenna will help you, get one and put it up. And then you'll always get the local networks regardless of what Direct TV or whoever else your provider is says. You don't have to worry about their squabble with the local networks. If a provider pisses you off you can quit them and still have some TV, which will make you more likely to quit them if/when they treat you badly. A digital antenna is a good investment (which only costs like $60-80).

If you live in a place where a digital antenna will help you, get one and put it up. And then you'll always get the local networks regardless of what Direct TV or whoever else your provider is says. You don't have to worry about their squabble with the local networks. If a provider pisses you off you can quit them and still have some TV, which will make you more likely to quit them if/when they treat you badly. A digital antenna is a good investment (which only costs like $60-80).
Usually agree. WOWK (local CBS) is garbage though.

Reactions: countryroads89
Usually agree. WOWK (local CBS) is garbage though.

How is a local CBS affiliate garbage, unless you mean like the local news on it?. I was thinking in terms of, if a show or game is on the CBS network and you have a digital antenna that lets you get CBS then you can see the show regardless of what the cable company or Direct TV says.

How is a local CBS affiliate garbage, unless you mean like the local news on it?. I was thinking in terms of, if a show or game is on the CBS network and you have a digital antenna that lets you get CBS then you can see the show regardless of what the cable company or Direct TV says.

I think he's talking about their digital signal.

Their signal. Can't pick it up, even with a digital OTA antenna.

Or tech nerds I guess.

Only network I can't pick up with antenna is NBC. I'm good with that.

Can you stream live on CBS app? I think it's going to run you like 5 bucks a month though.

Or tech nerds I guess.

If Nexstar is the affiliate station for CBS in that area, and an exclusive agreement with CBS, then they negotiate with DirectTV directly and not CBS.

Where are you located at. With antenna's there are few things to keep in mind.
1) There is no such thing as an "HD" antenna. You either have a VHF antenna, a UHF antenna, or a combination of both.
2) Where are the stations located in relation to you, angle in degrees, and what frequency are they actually broadcasting on. For example, Fox DC is channel 5 on the dial, but are actually broadcasting on 36.
3) Channels actually broadcasting on channel 13 or higher will require a UHF antenna. Below 13 needs a VHF antenna.
4) With digital TV, distance from the source matters. As at a certain point the signal will completely drop off and you won't pick up squat. Also, multi-path signals in the past (during the analog days) would still give you a picture (though not always clear), where as today a multi-path signal may not lock in at all.
5) Antenna placement. High and with a clear line of sight is always best.

So the first thing you need to do is map out stations around you and their distances. Then you need to look for an antenna that can cover both spectrum's adequately. I use this, Clearstream 2, antenna myself, in my attic, and I'm getting most all stations from DC and Baltimore (60+ miles) with no problems, but I have excellent line of sight towards DC.
c2max-withmount1.jpg

Avoid the flat antenna's, and antenna's proclaiming to be "HD".
If you really want the biggest and best, then go with something like this.
channel-master-tv-antennas-cm-3020-64_1000.jpg

You also may want to invest in a Pre-amp if your run from the antenna to the TV is of any distance.

A digital antenna is a good investment (which only costs like $60-80).

Good advice. Info in post #11 is also very good. I got this 3 years ago, and even though Atlanta is very hilly, it pulls in over 60 stations

GE Pro Bar HD 200 Amplified Antenna Item # 370533
shopping

Description
Capturing over-the-air signals allows you to watch local broadcasts in crystal-clear high definition. This antenna has a built-in amplifier that allows you to receive signals from up to 60 miles away.
  • Use to receive 1080p full-HD signals from over the air. 4K Ultra HD ready.
  • Built-in amplifier can capture signals from up to 60 miles away.
  • Sleek design fits in well with existing décor.
  • Can be wall- or table-mounted for increased versatility during placement. Mounting hardware is included.
  • Backed by the manufacturer's 30-day limited warranty.
https://www.officedepot.com/a/produ...VrP_jBx397gzcEAQYBCABEgIJafD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

If Nexstar is the affiliate station for CBS in that area, and an exclusive agreement with CBS, then they negotiate with DirectTV directly and not CBS.

Where are you located at. With antenna's there are few things to keep in mind.
1) There is no such thing as an "HD" antenna. You either have a VHF antenna, a UHF antenna, or a combination of both.
2) Where are the stations located in relation to you, angle in degrees, and what frequency are they actually broadcasting on. For example, Fox DC is channel 5 on the dial, but are actually broadcasting on 36.
3) Channels actually broadcasting on channel 13 or higher will require a UHF antenna. Below 13 needs a VHF antenna.
4) With digital TV, distance from the source matters. As at a certain point the signal will completely drop off and you won't pick up squat. Also, multi-path signals in the past (during the analog days) would still give you a picture (though not always clear), where as today a multi-path signal may not lock in at all.
5) Antenna placement. High and with a clear line of sight is always best.

So the first thing you need to do is map out stations around you and their distances. Then you need to look for an antenna that can cover both spectrum's adequately. I use this, Clearstream 2, antenna myself, in my attic, and I'm getting most all stations from DC and Baltimore (60+ miles) with no problems, but I have excellent line of sight towards DC.
c2max-withmount1.jpg

Avoid the flat antenna's, and antenna's proclaiming to be "HD".
If you really want the biggest and best, then go with something like this.
channel-master-tv-antennas-cm-3020-64_1000.jpg

You also may want to invest in a Pre-amp if your run from the antenna to the TV is of any distance.
Thanks, nerd. I believe I have both UHF/VHF, though it's possible I just have UHF. Distance is the same for NBC and CBS. NBC is crystal clear (unless someone stands in front of the antenna) and CBS doesn't get picked up. I think the problem is ABC, FOX and NBC signals are 500+ Mhz (whatever the f that means), while CBS is 192 Mhz.

Edit: After reading your post and doing a smidge of research myself, I believe the problem is my antenna is probably UHF only. Will check tonight. Nice work and thanks.

My direct TV is not getting the local NBC channel out of Grand Rapids. Sucks, but only thing I'm missing out on is Dateline, but it's probably been rerun season. Lots of Irish fans in Southwest Michigan so I'm thinking they'll really be bitching here in a few weeks.

Thanks, nerd. I believe I have both UHF/VHF, though it's possible I just have UHF. Distance is the same for NBC and CBS. NBC is crystal clear (unless someone stands in front of the antenna) and CBS doesn't get picked up. I think the problem is ABC, FOX and NBC signals are 500+ Mhz (whatever the f that means), while CBS is 192 Mhz.

Edit: After reading your post and doing a smidge of research myself, I believe the problem is my antenna is probably UHF only. Will check tonight. Nice work and thanks.

No problem. Yeah, sounds like CBS is VHF in your area. Try an antenna with good VHF results.

We're seeing more and more cable cutting, and being a nerd (typing this in a browser on my Oculus Quest), I always try and stay on top of latest broadcast standards.

No problem. Yeah, sounds like CBS is VHF in your area. Try an antenna with good VHF results.

We're seeing more and more cable cutting, and being a nerd (typing this in a browser on my Oculus Quest), I always try and stay on top of latest broadcast standards.
I cut cable 8 years ago. Used Netflix and an antenna for years. Picked up DirecTV Now streaming service and got locked in @ $34 a month. It's been great. Just Nextar f'n shit up.

I cut cable 8 years ago. Used Netflix and an antenna for years. Picked up DirecTV Now streaming service and got locked in @ $34 a month. It's been great. Just Nextar f'n shit up.

I'm close to making the same move. I've already got the antenna. Tivo for the antenna. And watch very little live TV anymore, other than sports.

How has it impacted watching WVU?

I'm close to making the same move. I've already got the antenna. Tivo for the antenna. And watch very little live TV anymore, other than sports.

How has it impacted watching WVU?
I miss a few December basketball games on Root. Prior to a streaming service I would "borrow" logins to watch the ESPN and FOX apps. I go to all home games and a game or 2 away for football. Any other game is usually at a friend's house or a bar.

I miss a few December basketball games on Root. Prior to a streaming service I would "borrow" logins to watch the ESPN and FOX apps. I go to all home games and a game or 2 away for football. Any other game is usually at a friend's house or a bar.

Sounds like the new ESPN deal will be nice for cord cutting then, with ESPN+ being available.

Sounds like the new ESPN deal will be nice for cord cutting then, with ESPN+ being available.

This will probably never happen but I would love for the sports entities to sell their rights to two different providers. I can't stand ESPN but I have no choice but to get them if I want to watch the sports. I wish two networks had the sports so we could choose which to watch the games on.

Reactions: roadtrasheer
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT