ADVERTISEMENT

College World Series and Big 12

70eer

Sophomore
Oct 7, 2005
The Big 12 had 3 teams in the NCAA baseball tournament of 64 teams - and all three have made it to the College World Series (round of 8) - Texas Tech, TCU, and Oklahoma State. Congratulations to all 3!

The ACC had 10 teams invited. One team is in the CWS (Miami) with perhaps one more (Florida State if it wins their game against Florida this evening). Overrated???

Perhaps the Big 12 is a stronger baseball conference than the committee thought... and further evidence that WVU should have been invited!

There's is no question , at this point, WVU was slighted. 2nd time in 3 years the Big 12 has advanced 3 teams to the final 8.
Of the 3 in, TCU owned us. We beat OSU 2 of 3, and split 4 games with TT.

Kinda hard to prove we deserve to be in the Super's with these losses and I suspect the committee saw them too. I would have thought being a win away from winning the Big 12 would have sealed the deal, but here's what I suspect played a factor.

One loss @ Charleston Southern, 4-3
Two losses @ Hawaii, 4-1 and 6-2
Home loss to Old Dominion, 5-4 (10 Inn.)
Two home losses to Canisius, 7-5 (10 Inn.) and 9-0

IF we don't lose too much to draft/graduation, we should hopefully pick up where we left off and hopefully win a Big 12 championship next year. Our boys didn't wake up until it was a tad late 'in the game'.

Compared to the last 2 in, we have better wins (by far) and our bad losses aren't as bad. Plus the a big 12 has erased any doubt as to it's stature in relation to other conferences. #s 1, 2 and 3 are in the series but 4 didn't get invited even to dance. Curious.

Compared to the last 2 in, we have better wins (by far) and our bad losses aren't as bad. Plus the a big 12 has erased any doubt as to it's stature in relation to other conferences. #s 1, 2 and 3 are in the series but 4 didn't get invited even to dance. Curious.

Not all that curious. WVU suffers from the horns and halo effect. We haven't been to the CWS since Hitler was a Road Guard. We must do something to make a splash to overcome history.

Kinda hard to prove we deserve to be in the Super's with these losses and I suspect the committee saw them too. I would have thought being a win away from winning the Big 12 would have sealed the deal, but here's what I suspect played a factor.

IF we don't lose too much to draft/graduation, we should hopefully pick up where we left off and hopefully win a Big 12 championship next year. Our boys didn't wake up until it was a tad late 'in the game'.

I think what caused people like me to question WVU being left out was that the Mountaineers were the hottest team in America, winning 10 in a row, losing in extra innings to TCU, which still is alive in the College World Series. Body of work, but you want to pick the teams that are playing the best just before the NCAA tournament. If Huggins had won 10 in a row, lost the Big 12 tournament by 1 point in overtime, WVU would be in March Madness. It think WVU was primed to make a run at it and could have provided the Big 12 with half the Elite Eight field.

Florida State lost last evening, so the final eight teams belong to the following conferences:
3 Big 12
1 ACC
1 SEC
1 PAC
1 Big South
1 Big West

I agree. This season was never meant to be a postseason-type squad. I knew that we'd be talented, just not as frustratingly "green." The fact we were two outs from getting into the regionals regardless was a hell of an accomplishment.

We lose Huth, Smith, Donato, Vance and I think Wood. We return most of our nucleus and only need to get a couple arms in what should be a deep bullpen to step up, and fill Huth's CF position and I think we will be gravy. A regional should most definitely be the bar next year no matter what. That means a well-balanced schedule and making sure we start and finish strong.

I think what caused people like me to question WVU being left out was that the Mountaineers were the hottest team in America, winning 10 in a row, losing in extra innings to TCU, which still is alive in the College World Series. Body of work, but you want to pick the teams that are playing the best just before the NCAA tournament. If Huggins had won 10 in a row, lost the Big 12 tournament by 1 point in overtime, WVU would be in March Madness. It think WVU was primed to make a run at it and could have provided the Big 12 with half the Elite Eight field.
The tournament isn't about who the hottest team is. Regionals are not like the tourney in basketball. The team has had to prove itself by winning the games it should along with some it shouldn't to make an at-large. We didn't quite take care of business there, at least in winning the games we should've. I think we should've been in like the rest of you, but given how pissed I was about us losing to Canisius and Furman, I know what cost us.

ACC is the first off the island.

Maybe the SEC this afternoon too.

You guys got jobbed.

SEC is gone also.

B12 with only 3 teams selected for the baseball playoffs - still has 3 teams in it with only 6 teams remaining.

Edit: Update - Now B12 guaranteed to have two of final four teams with Okie St and TCU being undefeated and awaiting loser's bracket winners. Unreal.

Congrats to both and also to TT for repping the B12 with great tournament runs.

Last edited:
TT loses 7-5 to Coastal Carolina, first B12 team out.

Really tough way to lose, only gave up 1 earned run (6 unearned runs killed them).

Coastal Carolina proves the Big South is the best college baseball conference. 3-1 against Big 12 teams.

Oklahoma State and TCU do the Final Four flop.

Beat Arizona in best-of-3 and Coastal Carolina provides a Cinderella story for college baseball.

If they had let WVU in, then Coastal Carolina would be toast.

"Coastal Carolina Would be Toast?" They won the Big South Regular Season & Tournament, NCS, LSU, # 1 Florida, TT, Little 12 Champ TCU. You can always Win with wishful thinking when you're not Good Enough to get in the Tournament. Keep Dreaming.

"Coastal Carolina Would be Toast?" They won the Big South Regular Season & Tournament, NCS, LSU, # 1 Florida, TT, Little 12 Champ TCU. You can always Win with wishful thinking when you're not Good Enough to get in the Tournament. Keep Dreaming.

Since WVU, the hottest college baseball team at the time of the selections, didn't get into the playoffs, you can't prove that I'm wrong. Big South? Big deal? How many schools quake in their shoes at the thought of playing Big South teams? You sound like Marshall fans, huffing and puffing at the giants of college sports.

Since WVU, the hottest college baseball team at the time of the selections, didn't get into the playoffs, you can't prove that I'm wrong. Big South? Big deal? How many schools quake in their shoes at the thought of playing Big South teams? You sound like Marshall fans, huffing and puffing at the giants of college sports.
It's wishful thinking and nothing more. I have reiterated why we didn't earn a spot in the tourney and at the same time lamented that we could have completed. Had we taken care of business in the 9th against TCU, then we would've found out.

It's wishful thinking and nothing more. I have reiterated why we didn't earn a spot in the tourney and at the same time lamented that we could have completed. Had we taken care of business in the 9th against TCU, then we would've found out.

Coal.............are you saying that WV's failure to perform in a single inning doomed them to the snub? I hope you ain't right this time.

Coal.............are you saying that WV's failure to perform in a single inning doomed them to the snub? I hope you ain't right this time.

Right! I will never understand that. 1 more stinking run and WVU automatically is in the College World Series. To go from in to way out below a ton of teams is inescusable. WVU, like Coastal Carolina, could have made it to the best of 3 title series.

I know why Coastal Carolina made its miracle run to the College World Series title: Because it didn't have to play WVU, the hottest team in the nation that didn't get invited to the dance. It would have been a great thing to watch, the two hottest teams in the country going against each other. But the selection committee blew it.

I know why Coastal Carolina made its miracle run to the College World Series title: Because it didn't have to play WVU, the hottest team in the nation that didn't get invited to the dance. It would have been a great thing to watch, the two hottest teams in the country going against each other. But the selection committee blew it.
CCU National Champs, Keep Dreaming Cuyahoga, WVU is still Smelling their J--K's. Please tell me how WVU was the Hottest Team ending the Year. CCU started the season 7 - 7 & what was their Record after Yesterdays Game. OPS, 56 & 11, I believe. Big Party Down here in Surfside Beach right now. I'll Beep when I drive thru Morgantown on my way to Pittsburgh.

Have a Great 4th

Last edited:
Don't have to Prove you wrong. WVU wasn't Good enough to get in. No not a Marshall Fan but I really like a Team that was a 5 TD under Dog & goes into WVU & Wins 13-9. HTP

How pathetic, a kitty kat fan coming over to our board trying to ride on some other team's bandwagon. His baseball team is so bad that they lose 7 in a row to finish the season, can't even win a game in their own tournament.

To be such a wuss by trying to troll this board by talking about a football game that happened a decade ago in a baseball forum. Grow up!

How pathetic, a kitty kat fan coming over to our board trying to ride on some other team's bandwagon. His baseball team is so bad that they lose 7 in a row to finish the season, can't even win a game in their own tournament.

To be such a wuss by trying to troll this board by talking about a football game that happened a decade ago in a baseball forum. Grow up!
Monroeer,

You need to read all my Post before the Last the last one. I Live in Surfside Beach, 10 minutes from the Campus & have been watching CCU baseball for over 20 years. Your fellow WVU made a statement that they were the Hottest team at years end & got hosed by the NCAA for not getting picked & made fun of the Sun Belt. I just pointed out that He made few mistakes in his post. CCU started the season of 7 & 7 & ended up 56 & 16. That's Hot.
Yes, I regret making the sly remark because at 73. I should be grown up.

Have Great & Safe 4th

Monroeer,

You need to read all my Post before the Last the last one. I Live in Surfside Beach, 10 minutes from the Campus & have been watching CCU baseball for over 20 years. Your fellow WVU made a statement that they were the Hottest team at years end & got hosed by the NCAA for not getting picked & made fun of the Sun Belt. I just pointed out that He made few mistakes in his post. CCU started the season of 7 & 7 & ended up 56 & 16. That's Hot.
Yes, I regret making the sly remark because at 73. I should be grown up.

Have Great & Safe 4th

I have been reading this thread from the start while you joined in after Cuyahoga Falls Eers had said this -

"Coastal Carolina proves the Big South is the best college baseball conference. 3-1 against Big 12 teams.

Beat Arizona in best-of-3 and Coastal Carolina provides a Cinderella story for college baseball.

If they had let WVU in, then Coastal Carolina would be toast."

Look at the first line - could that be any more complimentary from a member of the B12???

His last line was obviously a light hearted attempt at being funny. You then proceeded to disparage his team - which he thought must be coming from a Marshall troll so he lashed out.

Maybe go back and re-read your own comments about jock sniffing and other crap because it was obvious that you were just trying to get under his/our skin.

One more thing, his major mistake in all of this was leaving out two words - one of. As in, one of the hottest teams in baseball for the last month of the season. If you compare the committee's last three in, I feel he is right in saying we should have been chosen before them. I laid out my reason for believing this in another thread.

Congrats to Coastal Carolina as this year's Champs!

I have been reading this thread from the start while you joined in after Cuyahoga Falls Eers had said this -

"Coastal Carolina proves the Big South is the best college baseball conference. 3-1 against Big 12 teams.

If they had let WVU in, then Coastal Carolina would be toast."

Look at the first line - could that be any more complimentary from a member of the B12???

His last line was obviously a light hearted attempt at being funny. You then proceeded to disparage his team - which he thought must be coming from a Marshall troll so he lashed out.

Maybe go back and re-read your own comments about jock sniffing and other crap because it was obvious that you were just trying to get under his/our skin.

One more thing, his major mistake in all of this was leaving out two words - one of. As in, one of the hottest teams in baseball for the last month of the season. If you compare the committee's last three in, I feel he is right in saying we should have been chosen before them. I laid out my reason for believing this in another thread.

Congrats to Coastal Carolina as this year's Champs!

You got it right, but I guess I'll have to spell it out. Coastal Carolina is a fabulous Cinderella story. BEFORE the first pitch in the College World Series, WVU was the hottest team in college baseball, with a 10-game winning streak and within 1 run of winning the Big 12 tournament.

Coastal Carolina got really hot in the College World Series, even after losing a game. Kudos!

WVU still should have been invited to the party. It would have been fabulous to have the hottest team before the CWS started, WVU, go against the hottest team in the CWS, Coastal Carolina. I still think WVU would have won, but I always think that.

Again, I congratulate Coastal Carolina. And I think the CWS selection committee made a grevious error by not letting WVU, a really hot team late in the season and conference tournament, join the party.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT