ADVERTISEMENT

College games ratings are down.

WVUALLEN

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Aug 5, 2009
The decline of NFL viewership has rightfully been one of the biggest sports media stories of the past two years but less has been written about where college football stands in aggregate viewership.

Experts given a number of factors including the innate regionalism of the sport, and the massive number of national windows between ESPN’s multiple networks, Fox and FS1, CBS and CBSSN, NBC and NBCSN and others.

2017: Per Karp, here’s where the networks finished for average viewership for this year’s CFB regular season:

CBS: 4.951 million viewers, down 10% from 5.489 million in 2016.

ABC: 4.203 million, down 18% from 5.097 million.

Fox: 3.625 million, up 23% from 2.951 million.

NBC: 2.742, down 3% from 2.814 million.

ESPN: 2.155 million, down 6% from 2.300 million.

FS1: 819,000, up 4% from 743,000.

https://www.si.com/tech-media/2017/12/10/college-footballs-declining-ratings-2017-media-circus

College football ratings and attendance declined; NBA ratings are up.
By David French February 13, 2018 11:27 PM

Every Power Five conference except the Big 10 lost fans in the stands. Multiple major universities are downsizing stadiums.

There’s also the question of geography and competence. The NBA is one of the best-run sports leagues in the world, and its blue urban fans are the fans most likely to be inspired by Steve Kerr’s or Greg Poppovich’s political rants.

NFL’s fan base is still enormous, It still dwarfs the NBA and the college game.

https://www.nationalreview.com/corn...eclined-nba-ratings-are-does-politics-matter/

Ourand quotes Mike Mulvihill, executive vice president of research, league operations and strategy at Fox Sports, who noted

“It’s not just an NFL issue or a college issue; it’s a football issue. The rise in football availability is pretty dramatic. This is what drives fragmentation in every area of television. You can argue whether there’s greater or lesser interest in the game of football than there was 10 years ago. But clearly whatever that interest is, it’s being spread out over quite a few more windows than it was 10 years ago.”

Ourand also quoted Mark Lazarus, chairman of NBC Broadcasting and Sports, as saying:

“I do believe that there is a lot of football on and by the time you get to Sunday, there could be a fatigue. Much of the loss of viewers is coming from 18- to 34-year-olds. They more and more are getting satisfied by the alternatives of highlights and scores that are available during the game. That continues to train young viewers to follow our sports, not watch our sports. That is concerning for all sports television."

In short, more football content from both the professional and collegiate ranks leads to football fatigue, diminishing marginal utility, and could easily be linked to a decline in NFL ratings.

Aside from the football fatigue argument, the way in which Americans consume entertainment content is also rapidly changing.

As cited in a 9/26 USA Today article, fewer U.S. homes (79%) are getting pay-TV service, down from 84% in 2014, according to Bruce Leichtman, president and principal analyst for Leichtman Research Group, a research firm that tracks media and entertainment. Leichtman argues that the fragmentation of the viewing public as more customers cut, shave or shirk the pay-TV cord impacts viewership. He goes on to say that "over the past 20 years, there's been a proliferation in channels, and now you have even more choices ... (with) Netflix, (Amazon) Prime (Video) and Hulu."

Cord-cutting and consumer behavior towards how they consume sports content is the other major contributor in NFL ratings declines.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/prishe...planations-for-nfls-ratings-dip/#526d289d4c34

College football ratings have fallen in some part cause certain schools are down. USC, Texas, and all 3 FL schools have been down for a bit the last few years. Those are pretty good tv & attendance draws and nobody is tuning in in large number to watch them go for 4th place in their division. Spoiled fair weather fanbases within those locations have options.

College basketball is a 2-3 week tournament and has a regular season most don't tune in for. I know I don't.

NFL ratings are down because of protests, politics, and the game is not as physical as it used to be-rule changes on hits. Bring in USADA, get rid of the roids & HGH which will minimize concussions, and then they can start hitting again.

NBA ratings are up????
Really???
Yeah I guess maybe from a few years ago, but when your highest rated finals was 20 years back, I wouldn't say that's exactly stellar growth. I quit watching after MJ shoved off Russell to beat the Jazz in 6.

Baseball ratings and attendance are down too. I quit watching after STRIKE Ball cancelled a World Series and then Sammy, Barry, & Mark starting looking like Mr Olympia Contestants and going yard 70 times a year. The traditional mentality running the game with this 162 game schedule has made it too long. More has become less.

Golf ratings are down. That all started when the Cat had the SUV wreck headed to the Black Friday Sale. HGH wrecked his joints and a few hostesses and a Perkins waitress wrecked the rest of his psyche.

UFC & MMA ratings are up though. Maybe that as an option allows viewers to say, "F$&@ these team sports with Primadonnas on guaranteed contracts that think anyone really cares what their opinions are on anything other than the sport they play!"

College football games are now on a million channels all week now. When you factor in all the colleges playing each week overall college football gets the most overall ratings but it’s not just one game with huge ratings. There are just too many schools in too many states. It’s spread out but by far the biggest sport in USA overall. NFL is only in 17 states and 28 or so metro areas among just 32 teams so it’s less games overall. College has a million teams on a million different channels. College gets more viewers overall by far.

College football games are now on a million channels all week now. When you factor in all the colleges playing each week overall college football gets the most overall ratings but it’s not just one game with huge ratings. There are just too many schools in too many states. It’s spread out but by far the biggest sport in USA overall. NFL is only in 17 states and 28 or so metro areas among just 32 teams so it’s less games overall. College has a million teams on a million different channels. College gets more viewers overall by far.

Per the headline College sports attendance and ratings are down. Saturation has caused issues with both NFL and College.

MLB is just boring.

NBA ratings won’t do well in next few years. They have had mostly horrible ratings the last 20 years. Don’t let liberal idiots fool you with cheap written fraud stories like people are actually watching the NBA. USA population has grown but ratings are not.

Over last 20 years the NBA has declined and had terrible ratings most years.

Conference realignment, every game on TV, overpriced tickets.....to name a few reasons.

All big money sports will see declines in revenue in next 5-10 years. It’s coming. Pro sports will really fall more. College will improve when they are forced to cut expenses including travel which will get teams back to more regional conferences.

NBA ratings are not up. The NBA ratings have been horrible for 2 decades and they tried acting like they are up because the league was almost dead 5-10 years ago. ESPN is trying to market but it hasn’t helped much. They overpaid badly and are losing big millions. The NBA is not delivering much ratings for ESPN. That’s why ESPN is hurting over the NBA flop bad ratings. They can’t get enough people watching.

NBA ratings won’t do well in next few years. They have had mostly horrible ratings the last 20 years. Don’t let liberal idiots fool you with cheap written fraud stories like people are actually watching the NBA. USA population has grown but ratings are not.

You must have majored in English.

NBA ratings are not up. The NBA ratings have been horrible for 2 decades and they tried acting like they are up because the league was almost dead 5-10 years ago. ESPN is trying to market but it hasn’t helped much. They overpaid badly and are losing big millions. The NBA is not delivering much ratings for ESPN. That’s why ESPN is hurting over the NBA flop bad ratings. They can’t get enough people watching.

Quit embarrassing yourself. College is dropping as well. Saturation of the football and basketball is bringing NFL, NBA and College sports down in ratings and attendance. The only station that has increased is FS1 and that's due to signing of the Big 10. FS1 was not doing well until they signed the Big 10 and their ratings increased. I don't like the Big 10 but facts are facts.

Conference realignment, every game on TV, overpriced tickets.....to name a few reasons.

All big money sports will see declines in revenue in next 5-10 years. It’s coming. Pro sports will really fall more. College will improve when they are forced to cut expenses including travel which will get teams back to more regional conferences.

tumblr_lx3ip5o4r31r0xo06o1_500.gif

Many experts claim the NFL ratings are down because college football is so exciting on Saturday that many football fans are bored on a Sunday cause the college Saturday high, excitement is gone. NFL is boring to many that watch college football. That’s reality.

Also after college football Thursday, Friday nights and a incredible all day Saturday it’s like blah blah blah on Sunday with no tradition NFL. Steelers, Cowboys are only teams keeping NFL a float.

Also many enjoy high school football on Friday nights. That combined with college football makes the NFL thugs boring.

WVUallen if you like college football and high school football you probably won’t get real excited about NFL nowadays. If you take liberal California, NY, NJ, Massachusetts, Connecticut, RI, PA and whatever other weird New England states off the map, nobody would be watching the pro sports, NFL. Literally like 40 of the 50 states are not big pro fanatics. 40 of the 50 states enjoy college sports much more. College sports has more viewers over all and more teams to view. Not even close.

Reactions: Rootmaster
Yet viewership is down...How do you explain this phenomena 304?

WVUallen if you like college football and high school football you probably won’t get real excited about NFL nowadays. If you take liberal California, NY, NJ, Massachusetts, Connecticut, RI, PA and whatever other weird New England states off the map, nobody would be watching the pro sports, NFL. Literally like 40 of the 50 states are not big pro fanatics. 40 of the 50 states enjoy college sports much more. College sports has more viewers over all and more teams to view. Not even close.

If you provide JUST ONE stat to back this up, I'll video myself eating a stink bug.

Do you ever have a link to back up the vomit you spew forth?

College basketball viewership was down during the regular season across most networks.

The trend for regular-season college hoops viewership has been going down for years now for several nets.

College hoop viewership is up overall but it’s too spread out over a million different schools on a million different channels. Ratings for a single game are slightly down cause every college team is on a million different channels. There is no limit. Every team gets on tv. College sports are bigger and more watched over all. There are just so many representing every state.

College hoop viewership is up overall but it’s too spread out over a million different schools on a million different channels. Ratings for a single game are slightly down cause every college team is on a million different channels. There is no limit. Every team gets on tv. College sports are bigger and more watched over all. There are just so many representing every state.

Saturation kills ratings.

The fact that conference championships mean nothing...nearly everyone goes to a bowl...defense is passe...football is viewed just as another entertainment device...students at a lot of schools don't support the teams as much as in the past...and once a team loses two games nobody seems to think they are worthy of further attention...adds to the flood of empty seats....and tv eyeballs. But hey 56-49 games are fun right? not!

All big money sports are going to dip in $ in next 5-10 years. Greed ruins everything. No focus on the long term health of the sports and too much of a get rich now focus. It’s catching up with sports now. The fall out will hit eventually.

Reactions: Rootmaster
The options are just better for the public from a cost standpoint. The bubble sports in in will bust. Fans have become disenchanted and have better options for entertainment.

All sports from D1 college through professional are over saturated, overblown, over hyped, over endowed with importance, and full of athletes who are overblown, over hyped, over endowed with importance and not prepared for real life. Student athlete and sportsmanship are a lost concept.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
College football still gets the most ratings overall. There are thousands of college games on tv with hundreds of different college teams and fanbases in all 50 states. College football overall generates the most $, fans, viewership, following, ratings. College football also plays in the biggest stadiums with the most fans and is way louder than pro.

The decline of NFL viewership has rightfully been one of the biggest sports media stories of the past two years but less has been written about where college football stands in aggregate viewership.

Experts given a number of factors including the innate regionalism of the sport, and the massive number of national windows between ESPN’s multiple networks, Fox and FS1, CBS and CBSSN, NBC and NBCSN and others.

2017: Per Karp, here’s where the networks finished for average viewership for this year’s CFB regular season:

CBS: 4.951 million viewers, down 10% from 5.489 million in 2016.

ABC: 4.203 million, down 18% from 5.097 million.

Fox: 3.625 million, up 23% from 2.951 million.

NBC: 2.742, down 3% from 2.814 million.

ESPN: 2.155 million, down 6% from 2.300 million.

FS1: 819,000, up 4% from 743,000.

https://www.si.com/tech-media/2017/12/10/college-footballs-declining-ratings-2017-media-circus

College football ratings and attendance declined; NBA ratings are up.
By David French February 13, 2018 11:27 PM

Every Power Five conference except the Big 10 lost fans in the stands. Multiple major universities are downsizing stadiums.

There’s also the question of geography and competence. The NBA is one of the best-run sports leagues in the world, and its blue urban fans are the fans most likely to be inspired by Steve Kerr’s or Greg Poppovich’s political rants.

NFL’s fan base is still enormous, It still dwarfs the NBA and the college game.

https://www.nationalreview.com/corn...eclined-nba-ratings-are-does-politics-matter/

Up front disclaimer: I'm not arguing with you, I'm arguing with the "experts" cited in your post.

How does making more networks/channels/options available to watch the college games contribute to a decline in overall viewership? I understand a correlation in potential decline in attendance, but not viewership.

Congratulations! Two idiotic posts in one thread. (WVpride304)

I love how some people try to make everything political. I'm a liberal and I couldn't care less about the NBA. I don't watch it and can barely tell you that Golden State team won the NBA Championship. I'll trust the facts that the NBA ratings are up. Don't let facts hurt your feelings, little fella (WVpride304). You keep hoping ratings for the NBA drop; don't give up on the dream.

Up front disclaimer: I'm not arguing with you, I'm arguing with the "experts" cited in your post.

How does making more networks/channels/options available to watch the college games contribute to a decline in overall viewership? I understand a correlation in potential decline in attendance, but not viewership.

Congratulations! Two idiotic posts in one thread. (WVpride304)

I love how some people try to make everything political. I'm a liberal and I couldn't care less about the NBA. I don't watch it and can barely tell you that Golden State team won the NBA Championship. I'll trust the facts that the NBA ratings are up. Don't let facts hurt your feelings, little fella (WVpride304). You keep hoping ratings for the NBA drop; don't give up on the dream.

Why did you feel the need to get personal? "Idiotic posts", "little fellow", etc. I didn't see where the OP called you out like that. He's entitled to his opinion and you yours. Can't we just respect that fact and stay away from the derogatory remarks?

Oh, I forgot, it's June. We go at each other around this time each year.

Half the NBA arenas are empty every night. NBA was dead extinct last 20 years the deal with ESPN barely helped their low ratings. The NBA ratings are still low and attendance is actually bad for more than half of NBA teams. NBA has no where to go but up because it was bad. Still is bad.

Nobody likes NBA.

Only the hood likes NBA. It’s become that small time. College sports much more important to 40 of 50 states.
Half the NBA arenas are empty every night. NBA was dead extinct last 20 years the deal with ESPN barely helped their low ratings. The NBA ratings are still low and attendance is actually bad for more than half of NBA teams. NBA has no where to go but up because it was bad. Still is bad.

Nobody likes NBA.

Is that you donnie? Lol! Complete with false narratives and racist dog whistle.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT