ADVERTISEMENT

College Football Playoff Board of Managers Votes to Expand Playoff to 12 Teams

WVUALLEN

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Aug 5, 2009

The board approved the following:

1. The 12 teams will be the six conference champions ranked highest by the selection committee (no minimum ranking requirement), plus the six highest-ranked teams not included among the six highest-ranked conference champions.
  2. The ranking of the teams will continue to be done by a selection committee whose size, composition, and method of selection will remain substantially unchanged. The Management Committee will modify the selection protocol as required by the change to the playoff structure.
  3. The four highest-ranked conference champions will be seeded one through four and each will receive a first-round bye.
  4. The other eight teams will play in the first round with the higher seeds hosting the lower seeds either on campus or at other sites designated by the higher-seeded institution (No. 12 at No. 5, No. 11 at No. 6, No. 10 at No. 7 and No. 9 at No. 8.)
  5. The model allows for first-round games to be played on either the second or third weekend in December in a way that best accommodates the format and the participating teams, with at least 12 days between the conference championship games and the first-round games. The Management Committee would make the final determination of the calendar.
  6. Subject to reaching agreement with bowls, the four quarterfinal games and two Playoff Semifinal games would be played in bowls on a rotating basis.
  7. The national championship game will continue to be played at a neutral site.
  8. Subject to reaching agreement with bowls, the four highest-ranked conference champions will be assigned to quarterfinals bowls on selection day in ranking order, and in consideration of current contract bowl relationships if those bowls are selected for the rotation. For example, if the Pac-12 champion were ranked #1, the Big Ten champion were ranked #3, and the Rose Bowl were a quarterfinal site, the Pac-12 champion would be assigned to the Rose Bowl and the Big Ten champion would be assigned elsewhere.
  9. With the four highest-ranked champions assigned to quarterfinal games in bowls, the opponent from first-round game winners will be assigned by the selection committee based on the bracket.
  10. The higher seeds would receive preferential placement in the Playoff Semifinal games.
  11. First-round games will not have title or presenting sponsors and existing venue signage will remain in place. The CFP will control the video boards.

Will allow 4 Sec teams and 4 Big 10 teams in. After that it's anybody's guess.

Unless the PAC, ACC and BIG 12 get 2 each. Which would be a rare thing.

The teams in the Championship Game each year will play either three (if they're a Top 4 seed and get a bye) or four (if they're 5-12 seeds and don't get a bye) playoff games. All those teams will also play 12 regular season games and most of them will play in a conference championship game too. So the teams in the Championship game will play 15 to 17 games in the season.

Isn't there someone in power somewhere saying "You know, this is kind of ridiculous?"

The teams in the Championship Game each year will play either three (if they're a Top 4 seed and get a bye) or four (if they're 5-12 seeds and don't get a bye) playoff games. All those teams will also play 12 regular season games and most of them will play in a conference championship game too. So the teams in the Championship game will play 15 to 17 games in the season.

Isn't there someone in power somewhere saying "You know, this is kind of ridiculous?"
LOL. The people in power are saying "where do I cash the check?"

I'm not disagreeing with you, but none of this is about football. It's all a straight up cash grab.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
Interesting that I don’t see anything that addresses ND. They can’t be a conference champion so can they only get in as an at large team?

Interesting that I don’t see anything that addresses ND. They can’t be a conference champion so can they only get in as an at large team?
Yup and that will hardly be guaranteed with what I feel will be a step down in coaching. Kelly leaving ND will be a lose-lose for both sides.

I can’t believe this topic hasn’t gotten more play on this board. This is like the best to ever happen to college football. Didn’t even make 2 pages.

This will allow for the Big 12 and PAC to stay alive with the AAC , MWC, Sunbelt to have a "Chance". I guess it would be cool to see Memphis vs OK State in the first round

When this shakes out the SEC and Big 10 (and to a smaller degree the Big 12) will have an even larger gap in revenue over the ACC and PAC 12 (assuming the PAC 12 is even a legit conference a few years from now). Then the fire sale will be complete.

I'm still in disbelief in the level of greed and stupidity shown by the ACC and the PAC 12 in particular. In exchange for some short term cash, they likely sped up the demise of their conferences by several years. The ACC truly deserves all of this and I will drink to their demise.

I’d say only the big 10 and the sec will be in division one so they will have this 12 team playoff all to themselves

ADVERTISEMENT