ADVERTISEMENT

Coal is coming back

Cuntrywrong thinks Obama was President in the 2nd quarter of 2017. Bless his heart. Lets all say a prayer and ask God to allow him to be right one day.

Or seek out a competent grief counselor to assuage the trauma of being exposed yet again.

You think our most abundant and cost effective domestic energy source is dead and claim I'm dreaming?

Are you conscious?
given the advances of solar and wind power generation, plus the advantage of natural gas over coal? Plus, you do realize that WV has only 20K coal miners left due to automation. Do you rally think coal will save WV? If so, you are on crack.

And I haven't even gotten into the jobs lost due to coal over the last 100 years.

Reactions: countryroads89
given the advances of solar and wind power generation, plus the advantage of natural gas over coal? Plus, you do realize that WV has only 20K coal miners left due to automation. Do you rally think coal will save WV? If so, you are on crack.

And I haven't even gotten into the jobs lost due to coal over the last 100 years.

You view coal use and production in a static petrie dish based on the war that was waged on it during the last administration.

You make no allowances for either the new technological advances, radically adjusted market conditions, or streamlined regulatory environment that are combining forces to have a dynamic impact not only on demand for coal, but its expanded uses.

Similar to the "global warming" fabricated arguments, you have been brain washed to believe that something as natural as CO2 will kill us if we manage it responsibly.

Fortunately, far more informed and financially equipped players are not viewing coal use in such dire straights as you, and as a result plenty of Americans (& WVirginians) will both have great jobs producing more coal for the nation as well as lower energy costs for us all.

This will further drive the free market American economy to new levels of wealth generation and business expansion which leads to increased economic activity that provides better paying jobs and funds the essential functions of our Government.

Coal is definitely in our future and your wild dreams of it being otherwise are just you sleepwalking through your ill informed life.

Last edited:
My God.

WV had the 2nd highest GDP growth behind only Texas. We actually topped 3%.
http://www.register-herald.com/news...cle_2003ea40-3235-56dd-be5c-96255a5277ea.html

If you like that, you’ll love this one:
According to the bureau, mining grew 21.6 percent nationally and contributed to growth in 48 states. It was the leading contributor to growth in West Virginia, Texas and New Mexico.

And then there is this:
“According to the U.S. Energy Information Administration, West Virginia coal production has increased 31 percent from June 2016-June 2017, and natural gas production is at a five-year high,” Robert said in the release. “Additionally, recent reports from the U.S. Department of Labor's Bureau of Labor Statistics show that in June, total employment in West Virginia climbed to over 747,100 for the first time in nearly a year. All of these numbers indicate that West Virginia's jobs recovery is real.”

So, I don’t know, Trump and Justice been good for the state? Certainly appears that way. Since you still live there, I think you’d be ecstatic to see things improving the way they are. For the first time in nearly a decade, I have friends back there who seem optimistic about the future.

My God.

WV had the 2nd highest GDP growth behind only Texas. We actually topped 3%.
http://www.register-herald.com/news...cle_2003ea40-3235-56dd-be5c-96255a5277ea.html

If you like that, you’ll love this one:
According to the bureau, mining grew 21.6 percent nationally and contributed to growth in 48 states. It was the leading contributor to growth in West Virginia, Texas and New Mexico.

And then there is this:
“According to the U.S. Energy Information Administration, West Virginia coal production has increased 31 percent from June 2016-June 2017, and natural gas production is at a five-year high,” Robert said in the release. “Additionally, recent reports from the U.S. Department of Labor's Bureau of Labor Statistics show that in June, total employment in West Virginia climbed to over 747,100 for the first time in nearly a year. All of these numbers indicate that West Virginia's jobs recovery is real.”

So, I don’t know, Trump and Justice been good for the state? Certainly appears that way. Since you still live there, I think you’d be ecstatic to see things improving the way they are. For the first time in nearly a decade, I have friends back there who seem optimistic about the future.

Somebody wake @bamaEER up with this post! He says we
are "dreaming" & he thinks Coal is dead but maybe he's the one who is comatose or having a nightmare about Coal?

Somebody wake @bamaEER up with this post! He says we
are "dreaming" & he thinks Coal is dead but maybe he's the one who is comatose or having a nightmare about Coal?
They post all of those articles, and at the time of writing them, they were accurate. Just like with all of the increased regulation and looney enviro clowns in the White House making decisions, anyone with half a brain was going to move away from coal. It wasn’t coming back. Laws were being passed. There was nothing but a pessimistic outlook towards its future. Dems and environuts could continue parroting the “Natural Gas done it, not us”.

But then Trump happened. And look at that, things start returning to normal. The reality is such that the Obama Administration created a culture and began implementing regulations where coal had no future. As long as that trend line continued, Coal WAS done. Trump changed course and just like you’ve been saying, when the cheapest and most abundant energy source is available, it will be used. The average person doesn’t give a flying baker’s fvck about the impact coal has on the environment. They do care about that $200-$300 power bill every month. Liberals ignorance stems from their belief that idealism is reality and that everyone shares their idealism.

Last edited:

Neither solar, nor wind, nor oil, nor Nuclear, nor Geothermal, nor Hydro, nor Natural Gas are overall superior to Coal. Each have significant drawbacks especially when measured against Coal's availability and lower overall costs in comparison.

Ironically, Coal was still competitive with these alternate sources of energy despite the declared "war" on it by your benevolent former President. Now that we have national leadership that is not maniacally determined to "kill coal" it has even more advantages.

My question to you is are you a racist? Why do you hate Coal so much? It is Black you know? But to me (I'm Black) it's beautiful because it means I get cheaper electricity bills the more we use it and that color my Man is green!!!

Last edited:
The reality is such that the Obama Administration created a culture and began implementing regulations where coal had no future. As long as that trend line continued, Coal was done.

This...and it is the direct hit on the head of the nail!
Bulls eye DvlDog4WVU. That entire post is spot on. Well done.
images

Last edited:
So much good stuff in this post I just couldn't let it go unnoticed.

They post all of those articles, and at the time of writing them, they were accurate.

This is the comical part of their (Leftist) arguments. Totally ignoring the current dynamic resurgence of Coal with a drastic change in the market it's operating in now.

Just like with all of the increased regulation and looney enviro clowns in the White House making decisions, anyone with half a brain was going to move away from coal. It wasn’t coming back

Who wouldn't? Obama said he was going to put coal mining out of business! He damn near did, and the Left cheered. Energy investors & money managers aren't as stupid as Leftists are!

Laws were being passed. There was nothing but a pessimistic outlook towards its future. Dems and environuts could co to us parroting the “Natural Gas done it, not us”.

They did, all based on the phony scare of "global warming". They tried to do the same thing to us with Natural gas but frackers sure fvcked them on that one! Technology turned the tables on their attempts to kill off natural gas, and it (technology) is the promise for expanded uses of Coal.

But then Trump happened.

This was the Left's worst nightmare come true especially when it comes to Coal. They despise Trump for reviving Coal after they thought Obama had killed it off.

things start returning to normal.

Imagine where it'd be if Obama had not come along with his "war"? Coal makes so much sense for us, that's probably why he tried to kill it...hoping it finished us as an energy independent nation! Clown.

The reality is such that the Obama Administration created a culture and began implementing regulations where coal had no future. As long as that trend line continued, Coal was done

This is not even arguable. That Dude himself said he aimed to put coal mining out of business. Bragged about it even and misguided Leftists (especially surprisingly here in West Virginia) clapped and cheered that big Oaf on. Unreal.

Trump changed course and just like you’ve been saying, when the cheapest and most abundant energy source is available, it will be used.

This is the simple free market at work! Not surprising the Left is clueless about it. Coal's artificially high costs have been removed and restrictions on its uses environmentally have been either eliminated or relaxed. Of course we're going to use more of it now, why wouldn't we? It's the exact reverse of when Obama was trying to destroy it! Duh??????

The average person doesn’t give a flying baker’s fvck about the impact coal has on the environment. They do care about that $200-$300 power bill every month

Ha...ha...WORD @DvlDog4WVU!!!!!!

Right there in this line is where the rubber meets the road. Once again, the Left is totally clueless about what drives economic decisions in a free market. There's your proof.

Liberals ignorance stems from their belief that their idealism is reality and that everyone shares their idealism.

Perfectly stated and the major reason why Leftists' ideology doesn't work and always fails. It's NOT their idealism that free people desire and Thank God it is not! Another reason why they will always lose in the court of public opinion.

Your eloquence and accuracy in this post should be a wake up call to our friends here on the Left. If someone explains to you why you will always lose, why would you keep trying to use that strategy to win? You've explained perfectly why the war on Coal was waged, and lost...yet Leftists in this thread like @countryroads89 and @bamaEER are stuck in an Obama era "time warp" thinking he actually succeeded in his attempt to kill off Coal.

Time for them to wake up from their Leftist slumber and pay attention to the new realities of their failed Leader's (Obama's) dumbfvckery over Coal.

Nice job @DvlDog4WVU!

Last edited:
They post all of those articles, and at the time of writing them, they were accurate. Just like with all of the increased regulation and looney enviro clowns in the White House making decisions, anyone with half a brain was going to move away from coal. It wasn’t coming back. Laws were being passed. There was nothing but a pessimistic outlook towards its future. Dems and environuts could continue parroting the “Natural Gas done it, not us”.

But then Trump happened. And look at that, things start returning to normal. The reality is such that the Obama Administration created a culture and began implementing regulations where coal had no future. As long as that trend line continued, Coal WAS done. Trump changed course and just like you’ve been saying, when the cheapest and most abundant energy source is available, it will be used. The average person doesn’t give a flying baker’s fvck about the impact coal has on the environment. They do care about that $200-$300 power bill every month. Liberals ignorance stems from their belief that idealism is reality and that everyone shares their idealism.

Obviously, reading comprehension is not your forte.

With or without the Clean Power Plan, power companies say, coal is simply no longer the fuel of choice for keeping the lights on in America — and they do not expect it to make a comeback. Cheaper natural gas and renewable sources like wind and solar power have replaced it.

Sorry Trump, you lose again.

#somuchwinning

country would you say that was a recent quote from a utility power official or something they may have said in the middle of the Obama administration?

I ask that because as you know it is making a comeback and the quote says they don't "expect" it to make a comeback.

So which is it? Recent or from the Obama administration's 'war' on Coal?

Link it please?

Obviously it is killing you to see WV growing faster than 49 other states and to see mining up 21%. Once again while staring wrong in the face good ole double down dumbfuk defies the odds and pushes forward with wrong. Never change cuntrywrong. The world needs dumbasses and you are dumb enough for 50 of them.

Reactions: WVU82
Obviously it is killing you to see WV growing faster than 49 other states and to see mining up 21%. Once again while staring wrong in the face good ole double down dumbfuk defies the odds and pushes forward with wrong. Never change cuntrywrong. The world needs dumbasses and you are dumb enough for 50 of them.

Was that a compliment for country Dave?

OK, I suppose country earned it huh?

(notice how she/he won't repost that article of the utility company Official who says there's no future in coal? I just wanted to know when those comments were made in light of what you and others have posted about Coal's current comeback)

Was that a compliment for country Dave?

OK, I suppose country earned it huh?

(notice how she/he won't repost that article of the utility company Official who says there's no future in coal? I just wanted to know when those comments were made in light of what you and others have posted about Coal's current comeback)
There is no doubt that Obama era regulations damaged coal in the energy sector long term because energy companies were forced to make decisions to move away from coal just to assure their long term viability. Dems and Obama can be proud that they needlessly hurt working people with their stupidity.

Reactions: atlkvb
There is no doubt that Obama era regulations damaged coal in the energy sector long term because energy companies were forced to make decisions to move away from coal just to assure their long term viability. Dems and Obama can be proud that they needlessly hurt working people with their stupidity.

Why would anyone with a nickname Country Roads want to see folks from West Virginia economically hurt?

You're on a roll.

West Virginia liberals love Obama more than they love their home state and our people. The fact that they sit there and get angry that more West Virginian coal miners are working today than they were a year ago is telling.

A lot more WV railroad workers are getting more time as well along with other businesses in WV that are impacted by the coal industry. Thank God President Trump cares more about the people of WV than liberals do.

West Virginia liberals love Obama more than they love their home state and our people. The fact that they sit there and get angry that more West Virginian coal miners are working today than they were a year ago is telling.

A lot more WV railroad workers are getting more time as well along with other businesses in WV that are impacted by the coal industry. Thank God President Trump cares more about the people of WV than liberals do.

This is obviously true but why wvu2007? Why do Liberal West Virginians love this guy more than their own home state?

He's nothing but a choom gang dope-smoking Frank Marshall Davis Saul Alinsky radical left-wing activist who if he doesn't hate America sure tried to knock it down a few rungs on the world's economic status ladder.

Last edited:
This is obviously true but why wvu2007? Why do Native West Virginians love this guy more than their own home state?

He's nothing but a choom gang dope-smoking Frank Marshall Davis Saul Alinsky radical left-wing activist who if he doesn't hate America sure tried to knock it down a few rungs on the world's economic status ladder.

My opinion is that those in power who have been career politicians have succeeded in dividing the nation. Both sides do it but the left is better at it and more accustomed to do it.

It's all about your side being right and the other side being wrong and dangerous. You mentioned Saul Alinsky. His tactics are being put to use at the detriment of our nation. In the case of coal, liberal voters have been conditioned to think that coal is bad. The talking points say it is dirty and unsustainable. It will contribute to the destruction of our planet.

Like every other talking point, the truth is not as extreme and is more in the middle. You see posters like country, bama and other liberals celebrating when coal numbers decline and people are put out of work. You see them gnashing their teeth when numbers are up and more coal miners are working. The loss of coal jobs is a victory for liberals simply because it's part of their platform. It's all about being right, nothing else matters.

I would compare it to the fans who have hoped for WVU to lose while either Bill Stewart or Dana Holgorsen has been coach so that they would possibly get fired. Sides are chosen and all of a sudden the common goal of the fan changes.

In regards to coal/wvu sports, we all may have different views on what is best for the future of both. But when you start hoping for losses and celebrating losses because it somehow proves your point then you have loss touch with your basic humanity.

My opinion is that those in power who have been career politicians have succeeded in dividing the nation. Both sides do it but the left is better at it and more accustomed to do it.

It's all about your side being right and the other side being wrong and dangerous. You mentioned Saul Alinsky. His tactics are being put to use at the detriment of our nation. In the case of coal, liberal voters have been conditioned to think that coal is bad. The talking points say it is dirty and unsustainable. It will contribute to the destruction of our planet.

Like every other talking point, the truth is not as extreme and is more in the middle. You see posters like country, bama and other liberals celebrating when coal numbers decline and people are put out of work. You see them gnashing their teeth when numbers are up and more coal miners are working. The loss of coal jobs is a victory for liberals simply because it's part of their platform. It's all about being right, nothing else matters.

I would compare it to the fans who have hoped for WVU to lose while either Bill Stewart or Dana Holgorsen has been coach so that they would possibly get fired. Sides are chosen and all of a sudden the common goal of the fan changes.

In regards to coal/wvu sports, we all may have different views on what is best for the future of both. But when you start hoping for losses and celebrating losses because it somehow proves your point then you have loss touch with your basic humanity.

Well stated. My only other question is how are good paying Coal jobs bad for West Virginia or why is their loss acceptable?

But you've at least explained the political dynamic at work in this as perplexing in logic that still reads to me.

Oh well?

U.S. coal production averaged 192 million short tons (MMst) per quarter in the first half of 2017, a slight decrease from the second half of 2016.

The recent decline in production was a result of weaker demand for steam coal, about half of which is mined in Wyoming and Montana.

Dumbass.
2e823f87e5f2a84d55418887d589c01c.jpg

U.S. coal production averaged 192 million short tons (MMst) per quarter in the first half of 2017, a slight decrease from the second half of 2016.

The recent decline in production was a result of weaker demand for steam coal, about half of which is mined in Wyoming and Montana.

Dumbass.
2e823f87e5f2a84d55418887d589c01c.jpg
Yeah, this point really is moot. There's this myth that China would save the day as coal consumer for our market. But China has an aggressive goal to shift away from coal with less demand every year.
Game over.

Yeah, this point really is moot. There's this myth that China would save the day as coal consumer for our market. But China has an aggressive goal to shift away from coal with less demand every year.
Game over.
The experts mock you. At least for 12 more years. Go fishing.

Game over.

Yes, the US utility companies have already decided to shift from coal to natural gas and obviously see it as a more stable long-term source of energy with less fluctuation in supply and less fluctuation in price. Likewise, China is moving away from coal. So that only leaves met coal, which is only 8% of all US production.

In the 1940s Ralph Kiner played for the Pirates. One year Ralph Kiner led the National League in home runs and the Pirates finished in last place. After the season Ralph Kiner went in to negotiate a contract for the next season. He offered a number. The Pirates counteroffered a lower number. Ralph Kiner said "That's too low, I lead the National League in home runs last season." The Pirates replied "We finished last. We could've last without you."

That's what coal is to WV. People act like it's so important but even back in its glory days of coal WV was near the bottom in state rankings in per capita wealth. How many decades does WV have to rely so strongly on coal while still being near the bottom of state rankings in per capita wealth before it starts to sink in that coal isn't the answer for WV?

Game over.

Wouldn't your argument suggest that investments in Coal, production, and expectations of its increased use would be declining when in fact the exact opposite is currently happening?

In the 1940s Ralph Kiner played for the Pirates. One year Ralph Kiner led the National League in home runs and the Pirates finished in last place. After the season Ralph Kiner went in to negotiate a contract for the next season. He offered a number. The Pirates counteroffered a lower number. Ralph Kiner said "That's too low, I lead the National League in home runs last season." The Pirates replied "We finished last. We could've last without you."

That's what coal is to WV. People act like it's so important but even back in its glory days of coal WV was near the bottom in state rankings in per capita wealth. How many decades does WV have to rely so strongly on coal while still being near the bottom of state rankings in per capita wealth before it starts to sink in that coal isn't the answer for WV?

Great point. It is really important to a few people who can get very wealthy.

Great point. It is really important to a few people who can get very wealthy.

That's not all there is to it though country. It also means well paying jobs for needy West Virginians, expanded economic activity for the State, which means more money available through increased revenue to the Government to help more people in need,(don't you want that as a good Lib?) as well as lower energy costs for the nation which not only helps individual consumers with lower prices and costs for energy, but also helps us remain economically strong and secure by being energy independent and less susceptible to blackmail over crude oil.

There's of course also investors who stand to gain from Coal's resurgence but it's not a closed end bargain only for them and not effecting others as I pointed out.

Yes, the US utility companies have already decided to shift from coal to natural gas and obviously see it as a more stable long-term source of energy with less fluctuation in supply and less fluctuation in price. Likewise, China is moving away from coal. So that only leaves met coal, which is only 8% of all US production.
Utilities didnt shift from coal to gas because of gas prices. They shifted because of regulations that made building new coal fired plants and upgrading old plant impossible

Utilities didnt shift from coal to gas because of gas prices. They shifted because of regulations that made building new coal fired plants and upgrading old plant impossible

With or without the Clean Power Plan, power companies say, coal is simply no longer the fuel of choice for keeping the lights on in America — and they do not expect it to make a comeback. Cheaper natural gas and renewable sources like wind and solar power have replaced it.

Sorry Trump, you lose again.

#somuchwinning

Damn you're dumb.

So that only leaves met coal, which is only 8% of all US production.
Remind me again what type of coal is mined in WV?

I don’t understand why you all need to see the coal industry shot in the head. It will die off, on its own, eventually. And in that time, people can transition to something else. That’s what the dumbass Obama plans didn’t allow for, it didn’t allow a Natural and smooth transition. It went all DeNiro from untouchables on it.

Moreover, you all need to understand, it’s not just coal. It’s all of the businesses associated with coal impacted as well. It’s tax revenues for things like education and other state employees. It drives the entire state’s industry, car sales, home sales, entertainment, restaurants, etc.

And what we are seeing is increased optimism and realization that all of the liberal lies were just bullshit. An industry has reversed course, not on a rocket ship, but back to where it would naturally be, maybe a little less as some damage can’t be undone, like the premature switch to Natural Gas. I’m honestly in bewilderment why you all are against this.

Damn you're dumb.

excerpt:
The United States gets almost half its electricity from coal; it’s the cheapest source. Coal comes from inside the United States and there’s a lot of it. Coal’s affordability comes at hidden costs, like environmental degradation from mountain top removal, mercury-polluted water, acid rain, coal mining deaths, and so forth. If those factors are considered, coal starts to look costlier, but today, coal plant owners mostly only pay for equipment to reduce acid rain. They don’t have to pay for past pollution, or emitted airborne particulate matter, a difficult-to-measure but real contributor of lung cancer, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, and asthma. Additionally, it’s unclear how to add in the cost of climate change from carbon dioxide emissions, a substantial amount of which come from coal power worldwide. In 2009, natural gas gained some ground on coal as an inexpensive source of energy because natural gas prices dropped, coal prices increased, and environmental compliance is becoming more expensive for coal plants.

(mind you all of this was pre Trump and Coal was still the cheapest energy source)

What is the cheapest source of electricity?
full article:
http://burnanenergyjournal.com/what-is-the-cheapest-source-of-energy/

National Comparison
Mix of Electric Generation Sources
• Coal
52%
• Nuclear
19%
• Gas & Fuel Oil
18%
• Hydro
7%
• Wood/Biomass, Wind, Solar
4%
from 'Electric Vision' by Robert Preston Sept 7, 20
using figures from US Department of Energy, Septemb
er, 2005
Energy source cost comparisons
(full article)

https://www.des.nh.gov/organization...policy/documents/te_workshop_cost_compare.pdf

excerpt (Coal is cheapest)

http://www.renewableenergyaccess.com/rea/news/story
?id=35854
National average cost of Electricity
8.83 cents per kilowatt hour
from US Dept of Energy - Electric Power Monthly Janu
ary 12, 2007
http://www.eia.doe.gov/cneaf/electricity/epm/table5
_6_a.html

Coal
capital cost
0.72 cent per kilowatt hour
95 % capacity factor
operating and maintenance
1 cent per kilowatt hour
coal costs
2.14 cents per kilowatt hour
direct costs:
3.14 cents per kilowatt hour
(indirect social costs)
health costs
5.36 cents
climate
1.07 cents
total = 10.29 cents per kilowatt hour
from 'Electric Vision' by Robert Preston Sept 7, 20
http://www.renewableenergyaccess.com/rea/news/story
?id=35854

Most coal is purchased for power plants
About 93% of the coal consumed in the United States is used to generate electricity. In 2015, about 33% of total U.S. electricity generation was from coal. When based only on the cost per million British thermal units (Btu), coal has been the least expensive fossil fuel used to generate electricity since 1976.

Full article
Energy explained: (Coal prices and Outlook)
https://www.eia.gov/energyexplained/index.cfm?page=coal_prices

ADVERTISEMENT