ADVERTISEMENT

Classic Nehlen

I went to that game; rained like crazy. Staying in downtown Atlanta and there was an Army/Navy Surplus store on Peachtree St across from the hotel. Got the last two raincoats they had in the place along with a couple of rain hats.

Got to old Fulton County stadium to find that our seats were high enough in the upper level to be under the overhang; dry the whole game. Great memories that day and night.

The Don Nehlen era was the Golden Age for WVU football. Pure class. Anyone who tries to diminish what he did for WVU football is either too young or too clueless to remember the days before he blessed us with his presence. Enough said.

The Don Nehlen era was the Golden Age for WVU football. Pure class. Anyone who tries to diminish what he did for WVU football is either too young or too clueless to remember the days before he blessed us with his presence. Enough said.
wrong. The golden era was the Rich Rodriguez era. 3 straight 11 win seasons and 2 BCS wins. Before Rod, WVU had won 11 games twice in its entire history. He did it 3 years in a row. Enough said.

I have supported every WV coach down thru the years. I support Holgs and will support his successor when and if Holgs leaves the program. Seldom (if ever) have the shiny shoes at WVU called and asked me to approve or otherwise bless their selection of coaches. Hail, why would they.........................I don't send them no money. Know what I mean?

Stop trying to argue with Punish. He's never once been swayed by another poster on here, regardless of facts. It is a waste of time.

wrong. The golden era was the Rich Rodriguez era. 3 straight 11 win seasons and 2 BCS wins. Before Rod, WVU had won 11 games twice in its entire history. He did it 3 years in a row. Enough said.

You don't get it and you probably never will with your sorry outlook on life. You only see what's right in front of you. And I wasn't talking about moral victories I was talking about solid coaching over a period of time.

And just for the record, RR had two 11 win seasons and ONE major bowl victory. Stew got the others. RR didn't coach it so he don't get it. But keep ignoring who laid that foundation down and put us on the map for ungrateful pricks like you to enjoy.

And by the way, you just compared five years to 21 AGAIN. Worthless.

laid down the law with Oklahoma? Yes he beat them. Congrats. It was an upset. It happens. Appalachian State laid down the law with Michigan once I guess. To get a real understanding, compare Nehlens record against those great Pitt teams. Did he ever beat one of them when they were great? How did Nehlen fare against the top schools? He beat Penn State yes. However he beat Penn State when they were down. Beating a 5-6 penn state team is like high fiving Stewart for beating Auburn when they also were 5-6. Fact is Nehlen averaged 7 wins over 21 years and routinely got beat by the great teams when he played them.
And yet, he's in the Hall of Fame.

Reactions: GoWVU
You don't get it and you probably never will with your sorry outlook on life. You only see what's right in front of you. And I wasn't talking about moral victories I was talking about solid coaching over a period of time.

And just for the record, RR had two 11 win seasons and ONE major bowl victory. Stew got the others. RR didn't coach it so he don't get it. But keep ignoring who laid that foundation down and put us on the map for ungrateful pricks like you to enjoy.

And by the way, you just compared five years to 21 AGAIN. Worthless.
stewart was the head coach in 2007 and got all the wins? Interesting. Put the bong down son

nehlen was not superior to Holgorsen in his prime or anytime. Holgorsen is winning more against top competition than Nehlen did. Our win against Baylor last year is more impressive than that 1982 Oklahoma win
It is laughable and very telling that you would even attempt to put Nehlen, who built our program, in the same category as Holgorsen, who has done absolutely nothing to this point. Nehlen must have taken something very valuable from you, because your disdain for him makes you say really stupid things.

Last edited:
After all they did call him 'Dandy' Don Nehlen. Did Rich Rodriguez have any nicknames that can be repeated in this format?

Last edited:
It is laughable and very telling that you would even attempt to put Nehlen, who built our program, in the same category as Holgorsen, who has done absolutely nothing to this point. Nehlen must have taken something very valuable from you, because your disdain for him makes you say really stupid things.
what a fool. Holgorsen has done absolutely nothing to this point? Yeah the biggest win in our program history against 11-1 Baylor is nothing. The BCS Orange Bowl win over Clemson is nothing. The win against top 25 Texas at Texas our first year in the big 12 was nothing. Our win over top 15 Oklahoma State 2 years ago was nothing. Now, back to the other room to knit with the women where you belong.

Unfortunately some "fans" don't get it and think that wvu football started with RRod. They don't understand what Nehlen was up against in the 80's and how he built the mountaineers into a player on the national scene. No coach has or will come close to the accomplishments of nehlen's run at wvu.

Unfortunately some "fans" don't get it and think that wvu football started with RRod. They don't understand what Nehlen was up against in the 80's and how he built the mountaineers into a player on the national scene. No coach has or will come close to the accomplishments of nehlen's run at wvu.
lol good lord. I've been a fan throughout Nehlens entire career. Let me fill you in on something; Mountaineer football didn't begin with Nehlen either. However fact is rod accomplished something no other coach had - 3 straight 11 win seasons and 2 BCS bowl wins. Nehlen never did it. Nehlen never won a major bowl. Ever. Rod was the golden era. Spare me the quote, "you don't know what Nehlen was up against" crap. He came at the right time. He walked into a brand new state of the art football stadium to officially open up his first game. Cignetti left him a great bit of talent such as Oliver Luck and Darryl Talley to build around. No coincidence his best years were his first 4 for those reasons. He barely averaged 7 wins over21 years. He set a bowl loss NCAA record. He was a good coach, but not great. He was a class act. Let's not confuse him with a bear Bryant or woody Hayes.

Not enough said my friend.........you forgot to mention the sanctions the NCAA put on us after RR left. Nothing like that happened under Dandy Don.

Not enough said my friend.........you forgot to mention the sanctions the NCAA put on us after RR left. Nothing like that happened under Dandy Don.
lmao the NCAA sanctions were over extra practice time and spider pads. Not recruiting violations. It was so insignificant it carried over into Stewart.

stewart was the head coach in 2007 and got all the wins? Interesting. Put the bong down son

No, he didn't coach the 11 win so he doesn't get credit for it because there's nothing that says he would have even beaten OU the way he choked in big games where he was the favorite. He gets credit for one major bowl and two 11 win seasons.

Besides that, your problem is all you look at are wins and losses, ranking and only where a team's record finished, when it comes to Nehlen. Too bad you can't see the grand scheme of things and what he did for this program. You keep mentioning the new stadium as if it did all the work and he had little to do with it?

Okay, keep with this Holgersen is all this and that. I'm not going to keep rehashing the value in what Nehlen did in certain years that elevated this program and put it on the map for good.

Baylor was the best win in history just because they finished with the record they did? What did it do for WVU? The answer is very little. You have to go back and look at what big wins did for the team and the program. So DH has the Orange Bowl and Nehlen doesn't. I'll take Nehlen's 21 years over DH's lousy 5 every time.

laid down the law with Oklahoma? Yes he beat them. Congrats. It was an upset. It happens. Appalachian State laid down the law with Michigan once I guess. To get a real understanding, compare Nehlens record against those great Pitt teams. Did he ever beat one of them when they were great? How did Nehlen fare against the top schools? He beat Penn State yes. However he beat Penn State when they were down. Beating a 5-6 penn state team is like high fiving Stewart for beating Auburn when they also were 5-6. Fact is Nehlen averaged 7 wins over 21 years and routinely got beat by the great teams when he played them.

History will tell you that Pitt, Penn State, Maryland, and BC were ALL in the Top 10 during this time frame and WVU beat all these teams. Also, this discussion is hung up on Oklahoma but the win over Florida in the Peach Bowl was a much bigger win IMO. Also, the crashing win of TCU in 1984 bowl game was a big win because that team was loaded that year. So, please, stop comparing because history tells the true story and that Pitt had Marino who is in the Hall, Penn State was winning NC's, Maryland had Boomer who is in the Hall, and of course BC had Flutie and was the only team he did not beat during his tenure.

lmao the NCAA sanctions were over extra practice time and spider pads. Not recruiting violations. It was so insignificant it carried over into Stewart.
Weren't you the one comparing Holgorsen's salary and wins this year, to other coaches in the conference, hypocrite? Does that pertain to us, hypocrite? Which is it, hypocrite? Do Holgorsen's salary and wins, compared to other Big 12 coaches matter or not, hypocrite? Get your stories straight, hypocrite. This is why people are laughing at you, hypocrite...

A 15-21 Big 12 record is pretty impressive.

Since you aren't very intelligent, let me rephrase it for idiots like you... What happened to the Big 12 coaches with worse Big 12 records than Holgorsen? Why don't you want to answer that question, hypocrite?

Here's a hint, since you aren't very smart:

Coach Big 12 Winning %
Bob Stoops 79.43%
Mack Brown 74.81%
Mike Gundy 60.22%
Bill Snyder 59.26%
Gary Patterson 58.33%
Art Briles 56.52%
Charlie Strong 50.00%
Dana Holgorsen 41.67%
Kliff Kingsbury 37.04%
Paul Rhoads 26.23%
Charlie Weis 5.26%
David Beaty 0.00%

Tail-Betweeb-Legs-300x297.jpg

Weren't you the one comparing Holgorsen's salary and wins this year, to other coaches in the conference, hypocrite? Does that pertain to us, hypocrite? Which is it, hypocrite? Do Holgorsen's salary and wins, compared to other Big 12 coaches matter or not, hypocrite? Get your stories straight, hypocrite. This is why people are laughing at you, hypocrite...

Since you aren't very intelligent, let me rephrase it for idiots like you... What happened to the Big 12 coaches with worse Big 12 records than Holgorsen? Why don't you want to answer that question, hypocrite?

Coach Big 12 Winning %
Bob Stoops 79.43%
Mack Brown 74.81%
Mike Gundy 60.22%
Bill Snyder 59.26%
Gary Patterson 58.33%
Art Briles 56.52%
Charlie Strong 50.00%
Dana Holgorsen 41.67%
Kliff Kingsbury 37.04%
Paul Rhoads 26.23%
Charlie Weis 5.26%
David Beaty 0.00%

still not sure what your point is, mouth breather? Who cares about coaches that aren't as good as Holgorsen lol. And how does that pertain to us? Lmao

History will tell you that Pitt, Penn State, Maryland, and BC were ALL in the Top 10 during this time frame and WVU beat all these teams. Also, this discussion is hung up on Oklahoma but the win over Florida in the Peach Bowl was a much bigger win IMO. Also, the crashing win of TCU in 1984 bowl game was a big win because that team was loaded that year. So, please, stop comparing because history tells the true story and that Pitt had Marino who is in the Hall, Penn State was winning NC's, Maryland had Boomer who is in the Hall, and of course BC had Flutie and was the only team he did not beat during his tenure.
nice attempt to spin a lie. WVU never beat Marino and Pitt. WVU never beat a top 10 penn state. Maryland was never top 10 when WVU beat them. In fact when was Maryland ever top 10 back then? Wvu beat BC and flutie that's it. Another thing, Florida wasn't the Florida we know now back then.

what a fool. Holgorsen has done absolutely nothing to this point? Yeah the biggest win in our program history against 11-1 Baylor is nothing. The BCS Orange Bowl win over Clemson is nothing. The win against top 25 Texas at Texas our first year in the big 12 was nothing. Our win over top 15 Oklahoma State 2 years ago was nothing. Now, back to the other room to knit with the women where you belong.
So tell me, what has Holgorsen done since Stewart's players left? Baylor, the best win in program history...you are crazy. And by the way, if Nehlen had the money to work with that Holgorsen does, for assistants salaries and such, it is hard to tell what he could have accomplished.n even with what he had he did much more for our program than Holgorsen has to this point. I hold out some hope that he will improve.

I don't know exactly how you come to the conclusion that the win over Baylor was the biggest win in school History

nice attempt to spin a lie. WVU never beat Marino and Pitt. WVU never beat a top 10 penn state. Maryland was never top 10 when WVU beat them. In fact when was Maryland ever top 10 back then? Wvu beat BC and flutie that's it. Another thing, Florida wasn't the Florida we know now back then.

What is your problem, WVU won 81 games in the 1980's and played for NC. Don is in the HOF and helped set the base for future success. Im not sure why you want to put down the past history of our program, but the only thing I can think of is your really not a fan. The thing you forget or do not know and that is Eastern football was much better in the 1980's and all those teams had very high profile NFL players.

Here is the deal! WVU has the ability and has proven that we can compete at a very high level in football and we should expect our coaches to do just that. We fired Bill Stewart because we felt he could not keep us on a national level and we are finding out that Dana is the same type of coach. So you can run our program down all you want but you can't take away the fact that Don played for a National title, is in the HOF, and competed at a high level.

So tell me, what has Holgorsen done since Stewart's players left? Baylor, the best win in program history...you are crazy. And by the way, if Nehlen had the money to work with that Holgorsen does, for assistants salaries and such, it is hard to tell what he could have accomplished.n even with what he had he did much more for our program than Holgorsen has to this point. I hold out some hope that he will improve.

This is a very good point about funding. Our program was ran on a shoe string in the 80's. We had very little money to compete and we are lucky because Don turned down big money at least twice to stay. The TV money is allowing WVU to do things they have never done in the past.

Here's a hint, since you aren't very smart: It appears that Art Briles and Charley Strong are about one of two losses from getting fired. Anyone below Strong are on the short list to be fired.

Coach Big 12 Winning %
Bob Stoops 79.43%
Mack Brown 74.81%
Mike Gundy 60.22%
Bill Snyder 59.26%
Gary Patterson 58.33%
Art Briles 56.52%
Charlie Strong 50.00%

Dana Holgorsen 41.67%
Kliff Kingsbury 37.04%
Paul Rhoads 26.23%
Charlie Weis 5.26%
David Beaty 0.00%

still not sure what your point is, mouth breather? Who cares about coaches that aren't as good as Holgorsen lol. And how does that pertain to us? Lmao
The point is that your messiah is one of the worst coaches in recent Big 12 history, hypocrite...

The way it pertains to us is:

Coach Big 12 Winning %
Bob Stoops 79.43%
Mack Brown 74.81%
Mike Gundy 60.22%
Bill Snyder 59.26%
Gary Patterson 58.33%
Art Briles 56.52%
Charlie Strong 50.00%
Dana Holgorsen 41.67%
Kliff Kingsbury 37.04%
Paul Rhoads 26.23%
Charlie Weis 5.26%
David Beaty 0.00%

Not many coaches worse than your messiah in that list, hypocrite. Half of the ones actually worse than Holgorsen have already been fired, hypocrite...

I don't think you were a fan in the 80's. Any logical wvu fan in the Nehlen era through today understands what he did for this program and how tough of a job coaching wvu was at that time. 2 undefeated regular seasons at wvu is nothing short of a miracle. Bowl record wasn't good but this was a time when 30-40% of college teams made bowls compared to 70-75% today. Bowl competition was much tougher back then. He wasn't a world beater but to discredit his accomplishments shows how little you understand and respect the job he did here. I hope holgs can get wvu to the level during Nehlen's time, but he has a lot of work to do.

lol good lord. I've been a fan throughout Nehlens entire career. Let me fill you in on something; Mountaineer football didn't begin with Nehlen either. However fact is rod accomplished something no other coach had - 3 straight 11 win seasons and 2 BCS bowl wins. Nehlen never did it. Nehlen never won a major bowl. Ever. Rod was the golden era. Spare me the quote, "you don't know what Nehlen was up against" crap. He came at the right time. He walked into a brand new state of the art football stadium to officially open up his first game. Cignetti left him a great bit of talent such as Oliver Luck and Darryl Talley to build around. No coincidence his best years were his first 4 for those reasons. He barely averaged 7 wins over21 years. He set a bowl loss NCAA record. He was a good coach, but not great. He was a class act. Let's not confuse him with a bear Bryant or woody Hayes.

Reactions: GoWVU and 5150
I don't think you were a fan in the 80's. Any logical wvu fan in the Nehlen era through today understands what he did for this program and how tough of a job coaching wvu was at that time. 2 undefeated regular seasons at wvu is nothing short of a miracle. Bowl record wasn't good but this was a time when 30-40% of college teams made bowls compared to 70-75% today. Bowl competition was much tougher back then. He wasn't a world beater but to discredit his accomplishments shows how little you understand and respect the job he did here. I hope holgs can get wvu to the level during Nehlen's time, but he has a lot of work to do.
He isn't a fan, period...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT