ADVERTISEMENT

Cincinnati to the Big XII

If RU research dollars were so important Rutgers would have been a member long before the formation of the B1G network, it’s not like RU preferred the Big East over everything else. Furthermore on that argument, Nebraska, an academic tomato can, was given an invite before Rutgers.

Nebraska is a large land grant university that also has large grants for research from the government and private enterprises.
They are not on the level of Rutgers or Maryland but they are still top 10% of all universities.

Why wasn't Rutgers invited earlier?
I have no idea but to say that the B1G is looking to drop Maryland and Rutgers is untrue.
Both schools bring a lot to the table.

You are not understanding the Big East didn't have research universities nor an academic alliance.
The B1G does. Rutgers provides the B1G with 750 million dollars of research. Rutgers was brought in for two reasons. So the B1G network could be NY and so that the B1G universities could get more research funding.

Research money is way more important than football money. That money from sports is a tenth of what research money is.

You have to see the total picture.
Thanks for providing my Laugh of the Week. Do you think football fans even know how much research or what kind of research their university does? Hah!

No wonder you never caught the Bandit.

M agnificent Grier passes shredded Tennessee, 40-14

O verhelmed drenched Youngstown, 52-17

U nable to play North Carolina State because of Hurricane Florence

N asty defense against Kansas State, 35-6

T ramatize Texas Tech

A nnihilate Kansas

I ncinerate Iowa State

N ail Baylor

E rectile dysfunction Texas

E lectrify TCU

R eam Oklahoma State

S laughter Oklahoma

Thanks for providing my Laugh of the Week. Do you think football fans even know how much research or what kind of research their university does? Hah!

No wonder you never caught the Bandit.

M agnificent Grier passes shredded Tennessee, 40-14

O verhelmed drenched Youngstown, 52-17

U nable to play North Carolina State because of Hurricane Florence

N asty defense against Kansas State, 35-6

T ramatize Texas Tech

A nnihilate Kansas

I ncinerate Iowa State

N ail Baylor

E rectile dysfunction Texas

E lectrify TCU

R eam Oklahoma State

S laughter Oklahoma

But for a lot of universities it is the most important thing even before football.

Main reason why is the economy

Research brings job and attracts companies.
These companies employ more people and the housing prices and commercial real estate prices go up.

In the Rust Belt this is important. Reason why cities like Madison, State College, Ann Arbor, Bloomington and Columbus are anomalies in their state

Nebraska is a large land grant university that also has large grants for research from the government and private enterprises.
They are not on the level of Rutgers or Maryland but they are still top 10% of all universities.

Why wasn't Rutgers invited earlier?
I have no idea but to say that the B1G is looking to drop Maryland and Rutgers is untrue.
Both schools bring a lot to the table.

Agree to disagree, I don’t think they want out now, but they will as streaming continues to become mainstream and cable subscribers fall to a more threatening depth.

Conference realignment is coming in 2022; when the tier 1 & 2 contracts are up for renewal.

But this time the internet stations (amazon, netflix, yahoo et.al.) will be in competition too. Yahoo is already showing NFL games. so geography doesn't play as an important factor as it did in 2012.

the big 12 is in a good situation. it's centrally located and has deals with both Fox and ESPN. Throw in Amazon and we'll really be covered.

Plus, our contract money is closer to the SEC and B1G 10 then it is to the Pac and definitely more then the ACC.

So there will be more candidates available in a few years; maybe even a few from current power 5 conferences....with the money we are making we are still highly attractive.

Agree to disagree, I don’t think they want out now, but they will as streaming continues to become mainstream and cable subscribers fall to a more threatening depth.
To my knowledge no "cable" company owns a conference network, therefore if the network is part of a streaming package, whether supported by ESPN or FOX or whoever the revenue stream is still there. It's just shifted to a different platform. TV revenue isn't going to go away anytime soon at the conference level. In fact it may actually increase as more platforms come to the table.

To my knowledge no "cable" company owns a conference network, therefore if the network is part of a streaming package, whether supported by ESPN or FOX or whoever the revenue stream is still there. It's just shifted to a different platform. TV revenue isn't going to go away anytime soon at the conference level. In fact it may actually increase as more platforms come to the table.

Yes but if streaming is the option of the future and people just get to pick and choose the content they want to pay for regardless of wher they live then the whole needing Rutgers for the N.J./NY B1G cable package bundle is irrelevant and now Rutgers is just another mouth to feed and a drag to the overall appeal of any team in conference who has to play them annually’s schedule. A streaming or cable service is not going to pay the B1G extra because they have Rutgers like they do now.

You are not understanding the Big East didn't have research universities nor an academic alliance.
The B1G does. Rutgers provides the B1G with 750 million dollars of research. Rutgers was brought in for two reasons. So the B1G network could be NY and so that the B1G universities could get more research funding.

Research money is way more important than football money. That money from sports is a tenth of what research money is.

You have to see the total picture.

I guess if you keep saying that the Rutgers brings the NY market to the Big 10 enough times, it'll come true?

Cincinnati has three things going for them
Basketball
Ohio recruits
The desire to screw Ohio St

But

Cincinnati has three things going against them
Football
Name brand
Lack of big time boosters

I think only way this will happen ia if the Big XII can increase to 12 and make more revenue.
Don't think Cincinnati can do that.

Maybe if Luke Fickell has 4 good years there and they have 4 more years to the Sweet 16

Correct me if I am wrong. A lot of people in that city and in Covington are Ohio St football/Kentucky basketball fans.
What do WV fans think of Cincinnati?

Does Cincinnati really have fans.
Ah HELL NO!!!..I totally dispise those cockholds

I guess if you keep saying that the Rutgers brings the NY market to the Big 10 enough times, it'll come true?

If that was true the B1G would have brought in Syracuse.

Like I mentioned earlier both Rutgers and Maryland made sense because they contribute over 1 billion dollars to the B1G Academic Alliance.

Research creates jobs
Research brings companies especially in technology and the medical field
People buy homes
People need places to shop and eat
This brings additional people to the area because there are jobs

A lot more important than football.
I am a diehard football fan but even I know a lot of schools value research over sports.

150-800 million dollars compared to 50-200 million

Cuyhoga Falls has it right - the Big 12 does have it right - everybody plays everyone else - once in FB and twice in BB. No
way to avoid anyone like is possible in the other conferences. At the end of the season we have true champions. TV folks
continue to go after Big 12 but that's all about $$$$$$ IMHO. This is particularly true in football. Admittedly it does put
Big 12 at disadvantage given that it's difficult to come out of conference play with an undefeated team. Won't even go
into the half-assed playoff system with only four teams. Seems like it would be best for college football to have all the
major bowls involved in playoff games - got to 8 teams. Anyway enjoy reading Cuyhoga Falls - it that you Doug?

Cuyhoga Falls has it right - the Big 12 does have it right - everybody plays everyone else - once in FB and twice in BB. No
way to avoid anyone like is possible in the other conferences. At the end of the season we have true champions. TV folks
continue to go after Big 12 but that's all about $$$$$$ IMHO. This is particularly true in football. Admittedly it does put
Big 12 at disadvantage given that it's difficult to come out of conference play with an undefeated team. Won't even go
into the half-assed playoff system with only four teams. Seems like it would be best for college football to have all the
major bowls involved in playoff games - got to 8 teams. Anyway enjoy reading Cuyhoga Falls - it that you Doug?

Dose of reality here.
Media networks dislike the Big XII because of 3rd tier media rights
Reason why they went after Nebraska and A&M.

With this the Big XII was the weakest link.

Starting last year this changed. Mainly because the Big XII withstood the few years of attacks.
This has to do with the fact that Big XII is mainly based in one state.

Starting last year the media companies started to target the PAC XII.

Luckily their on the field performance hasn't helped.

At the end of the day the media companies will win.
The members of the Big XII must make sure that they place themselves in the best position going forward.
This is as a school that can be marketed.

The idea of certain schools joining with the PAC 12 and then creating a conference with one of the media networks most likely will not happen.
Even if it did I doubt WV would be included.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT