ADVERTISEMENT

Cincinnati leadership seeking new coach

Buckaineer

All-Conference
Sep 3, 2001
Look at the difference from all quiet WVU to Cincinnati which has had more success than WVU the last several years- even made a playoff appearance- as they take public and proactive steps to replace Fickell.

excerpt from UC AD:

Cunningham said he and a search committee are "going to move fast" as they conduct a "nationwide search" that will include both external and internal candidates.

"We're going to need somebody that can recruit at a really high level," Cunningham said. "We're going to need somebody that understands the NIL (name, image and likeness) space and fully grasp that. That's going to be really, really important. We're going to need somebody that can build a tremendous staff and somebody that understands the level of play and the dynamic offenses and defenses that you're going to see in the Big 12."

Look at the difference from all quiet WVU to Cincinnati which has had more success than WVU the last several years- even made a playoff appearance- as they take public and proactive steps to replace Fickell.

excerpt from UC AD:

Cunningham said he and a search committee are "going to move fast" as they conduct a "nationwide search" that will include both external and internal candidates.

"We're going to need somebody that can recruit at a really high level," Cunningham said. "We're going to need somebody that understands the NIL (name, image and likeness) space and fully grasp that. That's going to be really, really important. We're going to need somebody that can build a tremendous staff and somebody that understands the level of play and the dynamic offenses and defenses that you're going to see in the Big 12."
Sort of makes a difference when you have an AD and an actual opening for a head coach.

Maybe if people would have listened to what Gordon Gee said a couple of weeks ago then they wouldn't be in the speculation game at this point in time.
Exactly. People need to pay attention. Common sense tells me Neal Brown is back one more year at the least. First, we don’t even have an AD yet. Why would we fire Brown and look for a new HC before we find an AD? If we do that, why would an AD come in after a new HC was selected? Wouldn’t the new AD want input and the ability to select the next HC? Secondly, like it or not, Brown and his players displayed character and stayed together the final 3 games when it would’ve been easier to just lay down and roll over. I don’t care what anyone says, going 2-1 in the final stretch against Oklahoma, Kansas State, and Oklahoma State was impressive. Lastly, wouldn’t it make more sense to have a new AD onboard beforehand for a full year and lessened buyout to replace Brown? Especially since there literally won’t be much to choose from to find a new HC this late? Let’s say we get to the point next year and it’s impossible for Neal to get a minimum of 8 wins, we can fire him and have more available quality replacements to choose from. To sum things up, it would be idiotic to fire Neal right now or right after we hire a new AD in a couple weeks. The recruiting class would fall apart right before signing day

Reactions: Jason Voorhees
Cincinnati should go after Urban Meyer. If they want to further build on what Fickle has done, then open your wallet and pay the best coach available. He has "ties" to the Bearcats.

Cincinnati should go after Urban Meyer. If they want to further build on what Fickle has done, then open your wallet and pay the best coach available. He has "ties" to the Bearcats.
Urban Meyer is not gonna want to go down the ranks of college football programs. If he comes back, he’s gonna go to a blueblood school or someone close to one. Cincinnati is not that type of school

Urban Meyer is not gonna want to go down the ranks of college football programs. If he comes back, he’s gonna go to a blueblood school or someone close to one. Cincinnati is not that type of school
It seems like he would want a blue blood, but I think the money is #1 for all these guys. The idea is to turn Cinci into a blue blood. Coming into the B12 would be an easy path to the playoff every year. Easier than the B10 and SEC. That has to be appealing, but what would really be appealing to a guy like Meyer is 9-10 mil per year.

Last edited:
It seems like he would want a blue blood, but I think the money is #1 for all these guys. The idea is to turn Cinci into a blue blood. Coming into the B12 would be an easy path to the playoff every year. Easier than the B10 and SEC. That has to be appealing, but what would really be appealing to a guy like Meyer is 9-10 mil per year.
Cincinnati will never be a blueblood in football. They’re also gonna get a wake-up call starting next year. That’s why Fickle left while his coaching stock is high. Cincinnati will be similar to WVU’s painful transition upon entering the Big 12. Having depth is the biggest difference

Exactly. People need to pay attention. Common sense tells me Neal Brown is back one more year at the least. First, we don’t even have an AD yet. Why would we fire Brown and look for a new HC before we find an AD? If we do that, why would an AD come in after a new HC was selected? Wouldn’t the new AD want input and the ability to select the next HC? Secondly, like it or not, Brown and his players displayed character and stayed together the final 3 games when it would’ve been easier to just lay down and roll over. I don’t care what anyone says, going 2-1 in the final stretch against Oklahoma, Kansas State, and Oklahoma State was impressive. Lastly, wouldn’t it make more sense to have a new AD onboard beforehand for a full year and lessened buyout to replace Brown? Especially since there literally won’t be much to choose from to find a new HC this late? Let’s say we get to the point next year and it’s impossible for Neal to get a minimum of 8 wins, we can fire him and have more available quality replacements to choose from. To sum things up, it would be idiotic to fire Neal right now or right after we hire a new AD in a couple weeks. The recruiting class would fall apart right before signing day
“Secondly, like it or not, Brown and his players displayed character and stayed together the final 3 games when it would’ve been easier to just lay down and roll over”

Good point. However, Brown still had “brown” moments (Delay of games, starting behind the sticks, same miserable pre-snap penalties). This has not got any better.

Reactions: vietvet1
Cincinnati will never be a blueblood in football. They’re also gonna get a wake-up call starting next year. That’s why Fickle left while his coaching stock is high. Cincinnati will be similar to WVU’s painful transition upon entering the Big 12. Having depth is the biggest difference
Probably not, but their only chance to become that is with a great HC. Clemson did it with Dabo, they werent a traditional blue blood, but they are now. Oregon was starting to do it until Chip Kelley left. They were on the verge of blueblood status until they lost their HC. The secret to their success was a great HC. The better the coach, the better the team. Its unlikely that a team like Cinci will ever have that, but its not impossible either. But with his ties to Cinci, if I were their AD, I would at least kick the tires on Meyer heading into the B12. The dude might not actually want a super high profile job right now. You miss 100% of the shots you dont take, and that is a fact.

From an outside view, this appears to me that Shane Lyons was the fall guy here. Neal Brown will return as the football coach next year, and if the new AD (TBD) is happy with his performance next year, he'll likely be around for a while. With that said, things change within minutes in the world of college sports, but Lyons being the fall guy is how I'm seeing it.

Reactions: ThePunish-EER
Probably not, but their only chance to become that is with a great HC. Clemson did it with Dabo, they werent a traditional blue blood, but they are now. Oregon was starting to do it until Chip Kelley left. They were on the verge of blueblood status until they lost their HC. The secret to their success was a great HC. The better the coach, the better the team. Its unlikely that a team like Cinci will ever have that, but its not impossible either. But with his ties to Cinci, if I were their AD, I would at least kick the tires on Meyer heading into the B12. The dude might not actually want a super high profile job right now. You miss 100% of the shots you dont take, and that is a fact.
Clemson has been a sleeping giant/blueblood for a longtime. They’ve consistently had top 5-10 recruiting classes for a very long time. Way before Swinney arrived. They just didn’t win with it at a high level. Oregon is probably the closest example to support your argument. However I don’t think anyone considers oregon close to blueblood. Imo there’s 3 levels of programs in the P5 ranks. There’s probably 11-13 blueblood schools. The next tier would likely be Oregon, Iowa, Wisconsin, WVU, Syracuse, Kansas State, Oklahoma State, Virginia Tech, Pitt, Arkansas, Washington, Georgia Tech, Stanford, Michigan State, Ole Miss, Mississippi, etc. Then there’s the bottom rung of what’s left.

Sort of makes a difference when you have an AD and an actual opening for a head coach.
WVU has a losing coach if you can call him a coach with numbered days. Outside Lyons screwing WVU over with that extension and the hire in the first place- WVUs job would be open right now and everyone knows it. Cincinnati though is communicating with supporters about their situation while WVU administrators are silent as can be- except maybe as posers on message boards.

Brown is sinking WVUs program long term. Already hasnt been ranked for four seasons.

Tanking a season for Brown again makes no sense- every fake reason to keep him now will be there next year too, but by then WVU has a legacy of losing and it may take decades to recover.

From an outside view, this appears to me that Shane Lyons was the fall guy here. Neal Brown will return as the football coach next year, and if the new AD (TBD) is happy with his performance next year, he'll likely be around for a while. With that said, things change within minutes in the world of college sports, but Lyons being the fall guy is how I'm seeing it.
Temporary but necessary move- when Brown tanks another season hell be out anyway. The WVU brass obviously waited to have an excuse for Browns retention but that wont last past the first few losses next year

Clemson has been a sleeping giant/blueblood for a longtime. They’ve consistently had top 5-10 recruiting classes for a very long time. Way before Swinney arrived. They just didn’t win with it at a high level. Oregon is probably the closest example to support your argument. However I don’t think anyone considers oregon close to blueblood. Imo there’s 3 levels of programs in the P5 ranks. There’s probably 11-13 blueblood schools. The next tier would likely be Oregon, Iowa, Wisconsin, WVU, Syracuse, Kansas State, Oklahoma State, Virginia Tech, Pitt, Arkansas, Washington, Georgia Tech, Stanford, Michigan State, Ole Miss, Mississippi, etc. Then there’s the bottom rung of what’s left.
I dont disagree totally, but its still all about coaching. Oregon is not in the conversation anymore because after Chip left, once his recruits fizzled out, the momentum was killed, but they were on their way and it was because they had a great coach. That is what it takes to take the next step.

Yeah sadly under Brown we really dont belong in the 2nd tier anymore but we have to at least get back to that. With Brown as coach we would be better off playing a G5 schedule because thats the caliber of football we play. If we miss on the next coach, it wont be good.

Brown is sinking WVUs program long term. Already hasnt been ranked for four seasons.

Tanking a season for Brown again makes no sense- every fake reason to keep him now will be there next year too, but by then WVU has a legacy of losing and it may take decades to recover.
Wouldn’t an incoming AD prefer to make their own HC hire? Wouldn’t that make the AD job more appealing? There’s a lot more that goes on to this than screaming “fire him now!” It’s all about planning and executing at the right time for a multitude of reasons—-availability Of quality replacement options, financial reason’s regarding buyouts and money guaranteed, recruiting classes, etc. I think most everyone is in agreement a change is looming, the difference is when to make it. We can disagree, but I don’t believe the time is now. I’m not promoting keeping Brown. I’m promoting an ultimatum to win next year or you’re replaced. It’s that simple. And I believe from what I’ve heard, that’s exactly what has been discussed already with Brown.

Reactions: Euell and WVUALLEN

excerpt from UC AD:

They just lost their coach to a better team. DUMBASS. Go cheer for the bearcats and quit with your fake fandom of WVU.

I wish you would tank it on over to your Herd board and stay there.

Shane screwed up giving an extension to an unproven 2nd year coach. He should have been canned last year.

Reactions: deedoubleyou
Shane screwed up giving an extension to an unproven 2nd year coach. He should have been canned last year.
He was planning on sticking with Brown if he didnt get fired too. Based on his interview, he had no plans on firing Brown after the season despite losing at least half the fan base. That is not a good AD.

Reactions: WVUALLEN

excerpt from UC AD:

Will Dana be fired this season for another lack luster year. The AD at Houston stated clearly the coach should win 10 games or more every season at Houston. Probably because the AD knew the schedule was weak.

Reactions: Euell
I agree with everything you have pointed out. If we were moving on from NB it would have realistically needed to happen this week. If we end up hiring a good AD then I am sure he would want to do a comprehensive evaluation of the Athletic Department. That will probably take 2-3 months. Expecting a guy to come in and fire a coach right off the bat and do an extensive coaching search at this late of a date is asking a bit much. The only guys out there will be B and C Candidates. When Gee stated that one of the reasons for the change was the ever changing college landscape I think he was mostly referring to NIL/Transfer Portal issues. I think whoever the next AD is needs to start fixing some of the short falls in this area. Until we find a way to fix some of these issues we will struggle regardless of what the last name of the coach is.

Clemson is a blue blood they play in an 80K stadium their coach just signed a new deal that will pay him 11.5 mil a year for the next 10 years. If they can find that type of money on an ACC paycheck it shows you that their boosters are flush with cash.

How is Lyons a fall guy? He is responsible for Brown and his big guaranteed contract extension for a job so far poorly done. If he had not done the extension to the contract, I can see your point to some degree he might be a fall guy but that guaranteed contract extension is mind boggling. No one was going to steal Brown and so what if they did. A non guaranteed contract, I could see but even that was unearned so far beyond maybe one or two years.

How is Lyons a fall guy? He is responsible for Brown and his big guaranteed contract extension for a job so far poorly done. If he had not done the extension to the contract, I can see your point to some degree he might be a fall guy but that guaranteed contract extension is mind boggling. No one was going to steal Brown and so what if they did. A non guaranteed contract, I could see but even that was unearned so far beyond maybe one or two years.
Since I made this post on Monday morning, apparently Lyons did an interview with somebody in WV, and basically he said the same thing. Not sure if he read my post prior to the interview or not though.

Does anyone think Tom Herman might end up the Bearcats new coach? I didnt realize it until a couple days ago, but he grew up in Cinci. He would be a good fit there.

How about Prime time Sanders???? Cincy is now a power 5 school with a pretty good track record over the past 2 decades. It's a better job than Colorado and S. Florida Prime time, prime time, prime time

FAU has hired Tom Herman
Which means WVU can still hire him next year at anytime. So quit bitching like a baby seal.

But then again Herman was a failure at P5 level and successful 1 year at G5. So you probably would hate his guts. Fraud Mountaineer fan.

How about Prime time Sanders???? Cincy is now a power 5 school with a pretty good track record over the past 2 decades. It's a better job than Colorado and S. Florida Prime time, prime time, prime time
You're funny because Colorsdo is a superior job compared to Cincinnati. South Florida is where he ends up. Considering he is from that area.

Internal Options for Cincinnati are tops on their list. Kerry Coombs, Gino Guidugli, Mike Tressel.

Sanders heading to Colorado to finalize a deal to be HC. I guess that Cincy job is not as good as you think.

Colorado talked with Sanders before Cincy did- early bird got the worm. But Cincy tried. WVU maintained sub par status quo.

who hates WVU? The troll clown trying to sell that Brown has been a good coach and 5 wins is all WVU fans should expect? And attacking every poster who brings intelligence to the conversation in place of his trolling ego? Or someone presenting fact about the situation and pushing for WVU to remove the coach that is the worst hire in nearly 50 years in order to restore WVU to its winning records and rankings prior to this coach fleecing WVU?

who hates WVU? The troll clown trying to sell that Brown has been a good coach and 5 wins is all WVU fans should expect? And attacking every poster who brings intelligence to the conversation in place of his trolling ego? Or someone presenting fact about the situation and pushing for WVU to remove the coach that is the worst hire in nearly 50 years in order to restore WVU to its winning records and rankings prior to this coach fleecing WVU?
WOW. 10 lies in one post. Congrats.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT