ADVERTISEMENT

Chip Kelly

xgunnx

Senior
Oct 10, 2011
Morgantown, West Virginia
Chip Kelly got his first win as HC for UCLA Bruins. Interestingly they relied on the run game with 55 rushes to 15 passes or something close to that.

When Kelly was at Oregon I thought he was remarkable Head Coach. He had The Ducks rolling along really well. The spread styled offense he was using at the time was very potent. Then NCAA comes along and next thing Chip Kelly is hit with show cause punishment. Oregon received NCAA sanctions. So everything he did at Oregon is tainted.

I never imagined he would be back to coaching at the collegiate level after his stint in the NFL coaching ranks.

UCLA could be the next Oregon sans the NCAA issues. I think they will be a team to watch next couple years. After watching some highlights from the Arizona game. I'm convinced Chip Kelly will have UCLA in the mix for CFP eventually.

Chip was humbled by the NFL.
I heard Chip Kelly say that in the NFL situational football was the key.
3rd down on offense, 3rd down on defense and red zone play.
At Oregon he never really had to worry about third down.

His story is similar to Nick Saban. Not saying he is going to come back to college and win a bunch of NC but he could come back as a better coach.

Not to get into a lot of dirt but Chip Kelly wasn't cheating at Oregon. Oregon was. Willie Lyles was on their payroll before Kelly. Maybe just for scouting info but Willie Lyles and Oregon didn't start because of Chip Kelly.

Thing with UCLA....is they are an UA school like Auburn.
A lot of players around the country who play in that UA All American game are steered towards UA schools.

Not to get into a lot of dirt but Chip Kelly wasn't cheating at Oregon. Oregon was. Willie Lyles was on their payroll before Kelly. Maybe just for scouting info but Willie Lyles and Oregon didn't start because of Chip Kelly.

I never really read much about the Oregon NCAA investigation. So I don't know the complete story. I'll have to do some research into what transpired during that time.

Nick Saban is in a class of his own. Not many coaches come close to what he has been able to do at Alabama. Although I do think Chip Kelly will be just as good as he was at Oregon. I agree the NFL experience Chip got can only help him be a even better HC.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT