ADVERTISEMENT

WVU Release Chad Scott named OC

Keenan Cummings

Fact Based and Wonderful
Staff
Sep 16, 2007
organtown, W.Va. – West Virginia University football coach Neal Brown has named current assistant coach Chad Scott as the program's new offensive coordinator.

"Chad knows what our strengths are, and he has earned this opportunity. I have coached with him for 13 years, and I trust him and the positive energy he brings every day to our team," Brown said. "Coach Scott has been a part of elite offenses in the past at Troy, Texas Tech and North Carolina and that experience has prepared him for this leadership role. The fact that he has built strong relationships with our players and is a tremendous teacher of the game will have a positive effect on our entire offensive unit."

Scott is set to enter his fifth season on Brown's coaching staff at West Virginia, coaching the running backs in the four previous years. Additionally, Scott was the co-offensive coordinator for his first three years at West Virginia before serving as the run game coordinator in 2022. Scott will continue to lead the running backs in addition to his new duties as offensive coordinator.

Under Scott, West Virginia's running game averaged 171.5 yards per game in 2022 as he built a unit strong of depth and consistency. Running backs Tony Mathis, Justin Johnson, CJ Donaldson and Jaylen Anderson combined for 1,793 yards and 18 touchdowns. The Mountaineers have had a 1,000-yard rusher twice in Scott's four years as position coach.

"I appreciate Coach Brown's confidence in me to take this next step in my coaching career and become the offensive coordinator of the Mountaineers," Scott said. "We have a strong nucleus returning, and we know what we need to do to be successful on offense. It's time to get to work."

Prior to WVU, Scott worked with Brown during three different coaching tenures: Kentucky (RB/2013-14), Texas Tech (RB/2010-12) and Troy (RB/2007-09). He also was a teammate with Neal Brown at Kentucky. He came to Morgantown after serving as the tight ends and hybrids coach at North Carolina from 2016-18.

Scott will enter his 18th season as a collegiate coach that has included stops at Troy, Texas Tech, Kentucky, North Carolina, Louisville and West Virginia. He also spent time in the National Football League with the Cleveland Browns and Pittsburgh Steelers.
A native of Plant City, Florida, Scott began his collegiate playing career at Kentucky before transferring to North Carolina, where he lettered in 2003 and 2005. He earned first-team All-ACC honors from ESPN.com after rushing for 796 yards and eight touchdowns as a senior, which including a career-high 175 yards and two touchdowns in a Tar Heel victory over No. 4 Miami.

He graduated from UNC in 2004 with a degree in sociology. He is married to the former Brica Jones and the couple have a daughter, Kori, and a son, Jakobe.

ADVERTISEMENT