ADVERTISEMENT

CBS on latest realignment for everyone

Buckaineer

All-Conference
Sep 3, 2001

excerpt(s):

You may have noticed: The SEC and Big Ten are a Notre Dame (or so) away from staging their own playoff. Maybe they don't even need the Fighting Irish, who are again deciding whether to join a conference after 130 years of independence.

What you can see is access and relevance slipping away for all but the elites -- and those lucky enough to be in their conferences. Certain ACC schools are freaking out. They are looking at being $50 million per year behind the SEC and Big Ten in annual rights fees.

...The battle now is to see whether one or more of the ACC, Big 12 and Pac-12 can amass enough notable programs to keep the SEC and Big Ten from staging a credible playoff on their own.

The Big 12 has been told by TV rights advisors that the two most important considerations for expansion are brand and geography. Geography pushed Oregon and Washington to the margins. (That doesn't mean the likes of Arizona and Arizona are necessarily "brands.")

If the Big 12 expands, it wouldn't necessarily be for money but rather survival and relevancy.

This an important note from the article:

A merger between the Big 12 and Pac-12 remains a possibility, but ... a source told CBS Sports the process of finalizing its membership -- at least from the Big 12 side -- could be completed in weeks, not months.

excerpt(s):

You may have noticed: The SEC and Big Ten are a Notre Dame (or so) away from staging their own playoff. Maybe they don't even need the Fighting Irish, who are again deciding whether to join a conference after 130 years of independence.

What you can see is access and relevance slipping away for all but the elites -- and those lucky enough to be in their conferences. Certain ACC schools are freaking out. They are looking at being $50 million per year behind the SEC and Big Ten in annual rights fees.

...The battle now is to see whether one or more of the ACC, Big 12 and Pac-12 can amass enough notable programs to keep the SEC and Big Ten from staging a credible playoff on their own.

The Big 12 has been told by TV rights advisors that the two most important considerations for expansion are brand and geography. Geography pushed Oregon and Washington to the margins. (That doesn't mean the likes of Arizona and Arizona are necessarily "brands.")

If the Big 12 expands, it wouldn't necessarily be for money but rather survival and relevancy.
The Dennis Dodd CBS articles are getting old. Its clear he has no information and is trying to rack up his brownie points with click bait articles. The Acc, Big 12 and Pac 12 are second class citizens to the Sec and Big Ten. The Acc, Big 12 and Pac 12 are essentially the same. The biggest problem a pac 12 team would have when considering a move to the Big 12 is why leave for the big 12 when your current conference is another version of it.

PAC 12 teams have problems moving East would solve— playing games in eastern time slots improves their tv ratings. Playing games vs the most enthusiastic fanbase of the PAC, Big 12, Acc also increase exposure and viewership and that is worth real money. Also the BIG 12 has played better football than most for a decade—despite not being credited for it by media pundits- #1 or #2 most years. PAC schools can’t replicate that and solve their playoff problem except by joining with the BIG 12.

No one in the BIG 12 is leaving, but the PAC is very likely to lose schools as is the ACC. So if you stay in the PAC then shortly Oregon and Washington, Cal and Stanford maybe bolt- what then?

Obviously if PAC schools join the BIG 12 there is going to be an increase in revenues above and beyond what they can make in the PAC- and despite media pundits working to try to destabilize ie the BIG 12, increased media rights are coming- their rights aren’t just worth what they were a decade plus ago because two schools left. Lots of markets and inventory will have been added and the rights fee for college rights has been reset to a higher figure.

Dennis Dodd is Bucky. Big 12 should grab 4 to 6 PAC teams screw a merger or find yourself being eaten.

PAC 12 teams have problems moving East would solve— playing games in eastern time slots improves their tv ratings. Playing games vs the most enthusiastic fanbase of the PAC, Big 12, Acc also increase exposure and viewership and that is worth real money. Also the BIG 12 has played better football than most for a decade—despite not being credited for it by media pundits- #1 or #2 most years. PAC schools can’t replicate that and solve their playoff problem except by joining with the BIG 12.

No one in the BIG 12 is leaving, but the PAC is very likely to lose schools as is the ACC. So if you stay in the PAC then shortly Oregon and Washington, Cal and Stanford maybe bolt- what then?

Obviously if PAC schools join the BIG 12 there is going to be an increase in revenues above and beyond what they can make in the PAC- and despite media pundits working to try to destabilize ie the BIG 12, increased media rights are coming- their rights aren’t just worth what they were a decade plus ago because two schools left. Lots of markets and inventory will have been added and the rights fee for college rights has been reset to a higher figure.
No one is leaving the Big 12 because none of the teams are wanted by any of the other conferences.

Dennis Dodd is Bucky. Big 12 should grab 4 to 6 PAC teams screw a merger or find yourself being eaten.
That's if they can get 4 or 6 teams. When the Big 10 expands you have teams throwing themselves at their feet. when the Big 12 gets mentioned as a possible landing spot they look for other options.

No one is leaving the Big 12 because none of the teams are wanted by any of the other conferences.
Wrong. Networks are driving the realignment bus and trying to devalue certain pieces to give that value to others. The conferences themselves have little to do with it.

That's if they can get 4 or 6 teams. When the Big 10 expands you have teams throwing themselves at their feet. when the Big 12 gets mentioned as a possible landing spot they look for other options.
The Big Ten didn’t have Texas blocking everyone’s moves. Now that Texas has relegated themselves to permanent also fans with a paycheck, the rest of the conference can now be proactive and as we see in the real world there is most definitely interest from elsewhere. Third parties in the form of ESPN are once again trying to interfere, but it doesn’t mean schools are not interested.

Common business sense tells you to explore all options so that’s what everyone is doing. Obviously the B10 isn’t adding everyone, so Voorwhore spouting his B10 lust is meaningless. Everyone else will continue on still- they aren’t going to stop competing or existing because they don’t get invited to the B10. I don’t watch SEC content now and cancelled my cable once they tried to have me pay to get an acc network I could care less about. Based on rapidly falling numbers many are doing the same.

The majority of the country won’t watch just a B10/ SEC schedule where their programs aren’t included So what seems great for them now isn’t likely to turn out that way down the road anyway.

Last edited:
The Big Ten didn’t have Texas blocking everyone’s moves. Now that Texas has relegated themselves to permanent also fans with a paycheck, the rest of the conference can now be proactive and as we see in the real world there is most definitely interest from elsewhere. Third parties in the form of ESPN are once again trying to interfere, but it doesn’t mean schools are not interested.

Common business sense tells you to explore all options so that’s what everyone is doing. Obviously the B10 isn’t adding everyone, so Voorwhore spouting his B10 lust is meaningless. Everyone else will continue on still- they aren’t going to stop competing or existing because they don’t get invited to the B10.

The majority of the country won’t watch just a B10/ SEC schedule where their programs aren’t included So what seems great for them now isn’t likely to turn out that way down the road anyway.
They will all find out in 10 years, this was a major mistake and miscalculation. The overall viewership of their mastermind plan of only blueblood programs competing is gonna tank. It’s not really surprising, nothing the media and elitists envision equals the reality of the situation. Operating like an NFL is not gonna appeal to the fans. Abandoning rivalries only will alienate the common fans. And a lot of fans follow college football because their teams like WVU still could compete with bluebloods. Once you take that away nationally, you’re gonna find a lot of fans across the country won’t give a crap anymore. If their Wake Forest, WVU, TCU, or NC State can’t play with the big schools, they will find another Avenue to spend their time and money. A lot of those eyeballs tuned in to watch #1 Alabama play #3 Georgia because maybe their school like WVU could move up in the polls with one of those top schools going down in defeat. Now it won’t matter. So those eyeballs will now watch something else. A recent article suggested that according to many “insiders” and power brokers, you can “easily build a brand”. That cannot be more false.

Last edited:
They will all find out in 10 years, this was a major mistake and miscalculation. The overall viewership of their mastermind plan of only blueblood programs competing is gonna tank. It’s not really surprising, nothing the media and elitists envision equals the reality of the situation. Operating like an NFL is not gonna appeal to the fans. Abandoning rivalries only will alienate the common fans. And a lot of fans follow college football because their teams like WVU still could compete with bluebloods. Once you take that away nationally, you’re gonna find a lot of fans across the country won’t give a crap anymore. If their Wake Forest, WVU, TCU, or NC State can’t play with the big schools, they will find another Avenue to spend their time and money. A recent article suggested that according to many “insiders” and power brokers, you can “easily build a brand”. That cannot be more false.
Agree - they will eliminate about 3/4 of the viewership of college football for most games. Why will advertisers pay for that At enormous rates?

Once you can’t watch your team play- what’s the point. We’ve already seen how this diminished the fanbase of schools like say East Carolina— and viewership even with the playoff has declined greatly because everyone is tired of a network picking who will be in the playoff before the season starts And ignoring everyone else.

Agree - they will eliminate about 3/4 of the viewership of college football for most games. Why will advertisers pay for that At enormous rates?

Once you can’t watch your team play- what’s the point. We’ve already seen how this diminished the fanbase of schools like say East Carolina— and viewership even with the playoff has declined greatly because everyone is tired of a network picking who will be in the playoff before the season starts And ignoring everyone else.
Yep, but they will find out. I predict a massive restructuring in 20 years. It will likely go back to independent schools and abandoning conferences.

Wrong. Networks are driving the realignment bus and trying to devalue certain pieces to give that value to others. The conferences themselves have little to do with it.
The big 12 doesn't have much value. Its a conference made up of Former G5 schools and middle of the pack power 5 schools. The Pac and Acc have more poachable schools then the Big 12 has. The only way existing power 5 schools will join the big 12 is if its their last option.

Reactions: ThePunish-EER

Common business sense tells you to explore all options so that’s what everyone is doing. Obviously the B10 isn’t adding everyone, so Voorwhore spouting his B10 lust is meaningless. Everyone else will continue on still- they aren’t going to stop competing or existing because they don’t get invited to the B10.

Its amazing that you still continue to post the same garbage expansion articles after all these years. You have never been right.

The BIG 12 has tremendous value and can create even more value for itself( as it always could) via expansion. Dont buy into the paid shills trying to sell otherwise. They are working for people with a vested interest in devaluing WVU and the BIG 12 to benefit those they work for instead.

Good thing is there are many more players now in the media rights business and most of the new ones have far more resources than the old ones do. What they lack is content under contract.

Last edited:
Reactions: quinnjj
Its amazing that you still continue to post the same garbage expansion articles after all these years. You have never been right.
It’s amazing you keep trying to sell people that I have never been right, when that is all I’ve been— which of course is why you and your shill buddies are so intent on trying to discredit my posts.

Funny that you think if I post a legitimate news article on the subject that I wrote it— good lord what morons.

What’s clear is you are here to sell doom and gloom for WVU and diminish WVU and its conference. Only question is who pays you? The ACC? ESPN? Perhaps one day that will be revealed.

Yep, but they will find out. I predict a massive restructuring in 20 years. It will likely go back to independent schools and abandoning conferences.
I think that college football will be reduced to a niche group of followers but the big money contracts are going to be destroyed once advertisers stop getting that return on investment. Interest in college sports will be greatly reduced by all of this— they are doing exactly the opposite of what is needed to increase popularity.

Reactions: ThePunish-EER
It’s amazing you keep trying to sell people that I have never been right, when that is all I’ve been— which of course is why you and your shill buddies are so intent on trying to discredit my posts.

Funny that you think if I post a legitimate news article on the subject that I wrote it— good lord what morons.

What’s clear is you are here to sell doom and gloom for WVU and diminish WVU and its conference. Only question is who pays you? The ACC? ESPN? Perhaps one day that will be revealed.
You haven't been right about anything. For years you have been posting BS articles on expansion. You have promoted pie in sky theory's of the big 12 which never had a chance of happening. The reason people like Dennis Dodd keep writing this crap is they know they have suckers who eat up like you. BTW if I worked for the Acc or Espn I wouldn't waste my time on here. I would speak to the people that actually had influence and there not wasting their time in these forums.

You haven't been right about anything. For years you have been posting BS articles on expansion. You have promoted pie in sky theory's of the big 12 which never had a chance of happening. The reason people like Dennis Dodd keep writing this crap is they know thing and you prove they have suckers who eat up like you. BTW if I worked for the Acc or Espn I wouldn't waste my time on here. I would speak to the people that actually had influence and there not wasting their time in these forums.
You waste your time on here to sell the WVU fanbase and anyone else in the BIG 12 on bogus theories that the conference sucks and no one should be a part of it and WVU should accept mediocrity or should try to be somewhere else blah blah blah.

constant lies, misinformation and disinformation bullshit. No one not being paid would spend so much time doing this endlessly unless they were just mentally deranged.

not only have things I’ve posted had a chance to happen most of them HAVE happened despite your desperation from keeping them from happening.

Youve never been right about anything and prove everyday you know I have by making attempts to discredit me whenever I discuss pro active actions the BIG 12 can make to grow stronger. You clearly have a vested interest in making sure that doesn’t happen.

Last edited:
You waste your time on here to sell the WVU fanbase and anyone else in the BIG 12 on bogus theories that the conference sucks and no one should be a part of it and WVU should accept mediocrity or should try to be somewhere else blah blah blah.

constant lies, misinformation and disinformation bullshit. No one not being paid would spend so much time doing this endlessly unless they were just mentally deranged.

not only have things I’ve posted had a chance to happen most of them HAVE happened despite your desperation from keeping them from happening.

Youve never been right about anything and prove everyday you know I have by making attempts to discredit me whenever I discuss pro active actions the BIG 12 can make to grow stronger. You clearly have a vested interest in making sure that doesn’t happen.
mentioning Pro active and the Big 12 in the same sentence is a lie in itself.

Texas and Oklahoma were responsible for the Big 12 payday now that there gone its back to collecting a welfare check.
Laughable— UT and OU were only able to get the deal they had because of the other members and then the additions of WVU and TCU and then WVU and TCU buying in rather than taking full shares right away. Half to 2/3rds of Ou and UTs ratings came from other BIg 12 schools.

Laughable— UT and OU were only able to get the deal they had because of the other members and then the additions of WVU and TCU and then WVU and TCU buying in rather than taking full shares right away. Half to 2/3rds of Ou and UTs ratings came from other BIg 12 schools.
Bob Bowlseby estimated that Texas and Oklahoma amounted for 50% of the Big 12's tv value. If you think trading 4 G5 schools for two blue bloods isn't going to be a reduced payday then you're one of the biggest fools on earth. The big 12 could have added Byu and Louisville instead of wvu and tcu and come up with the same payday.

Bob Bowlseby estimated that Texas and Oklahoma amounted for 50% of the Big 12's tv value. If you think trading 4 G5 schools for two blue bloods isn't going to be a reduced payday then you're one of the biggest fools on earth. The big 12 could have added Byu and Louisville instead of wvu and tcu and come up with the same payday.
Bob Bowlsby is gone and several people with knowledge of the situation have stated that there will be nowhere near that level of loss— in fact with more additions things will likely look even better— no matter what significant increases are on the way— the value of college rights has been reset and we are more than a decade beyond the old BIG 12 contracts. There is far more inventory available and far more potential bidders as well.

Reactions: quinnjj
Bob Bowlsby is gone and several people with knowledge of the situation have stated that there will be nowhere near that level of loss— in fact with more additions things will likely look even better— no matter what significant increases are on the way— the value of college rights has been reset and we are more than a decade beyond the old BIG 12 contracts. There is far more inventory available and far more potential bidders as well.
And who are those people with knowledge of the situation? Some of the crack pot articles you have posted over the years? Fact is were taking a pay cut and everyone knows it. Who is going to give us that payout? I see you complaining about espn but their the ones with the big bank accounts after them it gets leaner and leaner.

Another garbage article with little substance. Which is par for the course from you.
What specifically is “ garbage” moron? What are your shill bosses telling you that differs from this reporting? Put up or shut up. You are now claiming you know more than Wilner , Dennis Dodd, etc? Prove it.

What specifically is “ garbage” moron? What are your shill bosses telling you that differs from this reporting? Put up or shut up. You are now claiming you know more than Wilner , Dennis Dodd, etc? Prove it.
Dennis Dodd article ideas come from a message boards.

Reactions: Jason Voorhees
The only moron is the guy who keeps believing anything that comes from Dennis Dodd articles. If Espn wants the Big 12 gone they can make that happen. They are by far the biggest player in the process.

Let’s see, who to believe? A professional sportswriter working for a major sports network that speaks directly to industry and conference and school insiders and passes on what he hears, or a paid shill on someone else’s message board singing gloom and doom fantasies towards the fanbase of that message board in order to steer people in the wrong direction for the benefit of his payers?

Yeah real tough choice there. know who I’m going with.

Reactions: CAK125
Let’s see, who to believe? A professional sportswriter working for a major sports network that speaks directly to industry and conference and school insiders and passes on what he hears, or a paid shill on someone else’s message board singing gloom and doom fantasies towards the fanbase of that message board in order to steer people in the wrong direction for the benefit of his payers?

Well lets see Dennis Dodd main source for his pac 12 defection story came from a paid shill on a message board. Dodd is nothing but a rumor monger working for CBS sports. AD'S and college presidents are not telling him anything. They get their advice from the bean counters and lawyers not blowhards like him. I notice you don't post these articles why not? Doesn't fit your narrative.

CFE?

ADVERTISEMENT