ADVERTISEMENT

Carnival Vista is one impressive ship

You know, I haven't been on a cruise for over 20 years, and my last was on Carnival's Fantasy; which was more or less a brand new ship at the time (and was among the biggest at sea, along with RCCL's Sovereign class ships).

This new Vista.....from a displacement standpoint.....is almost twice as big as Fantasy, and it begs the question in my own mind as to how big becomes "too big". Of course, that question has yet to be answered, as Cruise Lines keep christening mega-ship after mega-ship.

But I do find myself wondering where ship growth will max out......and if it's going to take an accident to put the brakes on the "mine's bigger than yours" approach the Lines seem to be following the past decade. None of which, of course, has anything to do with this specific post or the immediate future of the industry.

You know, I haven't been on a cruise for over 20 years, and my last was on Carnival's Fantasy; which was more or less a brand new ship at the time (and was among the biggest at sea, along with RCCL's Sovereign class ships).

This new Vista.....from a displacement standpoint.....is almost twice as big as Fantasy, and it begs the question in my own mind as to how big becomes "too big". Of course, that question has yet to be answered, as Cruise Lines keep christening mega-ship after mega-ship.

But I do find myself wondering where ship growth will max out......and if it's going to take an accident to put the brakes on the "mine's bigger than yours" approach the Lines seem to be following the past decade. None of which, of course, has anything to do with this specific post or the immediate future of the industry.
As of right now the ships are reaching max size based on what the ports can accommodate. The Vista isn't even among the top five in total size when counting the ships being delivered over the next two years, although it's not far off. I've been invited to sail on Norwegian's Getaway in October and it's a massive ship, hopefully I can go.

I do have to say cruise lines do a great job of maximizing the space they have and only a few ships that I've been on make you feel 'packed' in.

Coincidentally I was on the Fantasy two weeks ago for a ship inspection. I've sailed her before so I just went to get the latest news from the local rep and free food and booze. :cheers2: That ship is now the oldest major ship at sea but it still has extremely high ratings because most of the cruisers know what to expect before they go. The day of my inspection they started their new, and very affordable, onboard internet service and that's huge for those of us that need to be connected at all times. While that may not excite everyone it will allow a lot more people to cruise.

Reactions: Mountaineer Gooch
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT