ADVERTISEMENT

canned foods..

backcountry mounty

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Aug 27, 2001
Someone asked a couple of years ago how long canned foods last. I asked Dr. Joseph Marcy, a food scientist and he stated properly processed and canned foods stay good for a minimum of three years. The military advises a minimum shelf life of five years. Can't remember who asked but there is the expert answer.

Great guy besides he teaches at Tech.

Reactions: Vernon
Someone asked a couple of years ago how long canned foods last. I asked Dr. Joseph Marcy, a food scientist and he stated properly processed and canned foods stay good for a minimum of three years. The military advises a minimum shelf life of five years. Can't remember who asked but there is the expert answer.

Great guy besides he teaches at Tech.
On a somewhat related note, over the years I've twice had canned tomatoes leak from the can and cause a serious mess. My understanding is that comes from the acid settling on the metal. Now these were cans that should have been removed long before but I never got to them.

Good info backcountry.

I think that could be from several things V. I am always in a hurry and sometimes get the neck soiled with product and don't get a proper seal.

I was in class all weekend. I'm going to try to commercially bottle some of my salad dressings. Talk about a lot of stuff in a little bit of time.

Reactions: Vernon
I think that could be from several things V. I am always in a hurry and sometimes get the neck soiled with product and don't get a proper seal.

I was in class all weekend. I'm going to try to commercially bottle some of my salad dressings. Talk about a lot of stuff in a little bit of time.

Seems like a natural move for you because you could offer them at the Tamarack. When I had my Mail Boxes Etc we could do labels for several people selling their products and a few had their items at the Tamarack. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

ADVERTISEMENT