ADVERTISEMENT

Can someone explain the draw with Fickell?

Apparently because he had a good year this year..... but one year? I'm not seeing it either. I'm pretty fickle on Fickell. If we hire him its going to be hard to be pumped.

Reactions: countryroads89
His one season as coach of OSU really shouldn't count. Went into the season without recruiting for himself, and with so much uncertainty.

His first season at UC was with another guys recruits. He turned the team around quite a bit, especially the defense. He also did a good job recruiting.

1) He has head coaching experience.
2. He has Ohio roots which could help recruiting.
3) He has a connection with the administration.

If he's the one, I wouldn't go out on a limb and say its a home run hire. But certainly a solid double that maybe could be a stretch triple. We could do a lot worse.

1) He is loyal. Maybe to a fault.
But once he gives you his word it means something
Reason why him leaving Cincinnati may not happen

2) His D will translate.
Some of his best performances that I remember came against Oregon.

3) He is a program builder.
Forces players to commit to the program and forces them to work or they won't play

Nothing is given under Luke Fickell.

But will recruits from Ohio come to WVU, or will they stay loyal to Ohio and go to OSU, Cinncy, etc???

They are Big 10 kids not Big XII kids.

But will recruits from Ohio come to WVU, or will they stay loyal to Ohio and go to OSU, Cinncy, etc???

WVU has been getting oodles of kids from Ohio since it started playing football some 120 years ago. They've always got a good chunk of their class from there. WVU has always whipped Cincy when comes recruiting quality players from Ohio by a long shot. Cincy is normally a non-factor in WVU's recruiting in Ohio.

It's not far away, it's just across the river. Look at a map some time. You can drive from Charleston, WV, the state capital, to Ohio in well under an hour, to Cincy in a little under two and half. Going into Ohio for players is nothing new for WVU.

There's a reason why WVU hasn't recruited well in Ohio, despite the fact that Ohio has a lot of top notch recruits year in and year out. It's fertile recruiting ground for many of the top programs, including all B1G schools, as well as power hitters like Notre Dame. Even Kentucky has been feasting on Ohio recruits as of late. Penn State and Rutgers also opened the door to the Northeast US for the B1G, and teams like Michigan have feasted on recruit heavy states such as New Jersey and Pennsylvania.

Maybe we should save the money and give up the football program if there’s no chance.

You do realize 3 of the 5 starting OL are from Ohio. Another from Missouri. The defensive POY isn’t he from Cincinnati

WVU has been getting oodles of kids from Ohio since it started playing football some 120 years ago. They've always got a good chunk of their class from there. WVU has always whipped Cincy when comes recruiting quality players from Ohio by a long shot. Cincy is normally a non-factor in WVU's recruiting in Ohio.

It's not far away, it's just across the river. Look at a map some time. You can drive from Charleston, WV, the state capital, to Ohio in well under an hour, to Cincy in a little under two and half. Going into Ohio for players is nothing new for WVU.
Charleston to Columbus in under an hour? Cincinnati in under two? Are you thinking of the right Ohio?

I can’t. Terrible choice if he gets it. I think the powers that be at WVU underestimate the University and the football program. They never included any current P5 coaches in their consideration.

They either underestimate the program or they just don’t want to spend money on the program (which I tend to believe is more the case). You get what you pay for.

I can’t. Terrible choice if he gets it. I think the powers that be at WVU underestimate the University and the football program. They never included any current P5 coaches in their consideration.

They either underestimate the program or they just don’t want to spend money on the program (which I tend to believe is more the case). You get what you pay for.

I'm willing to bet after reading Holgerson's comments about pretty much negotiating for a new contract since the beginning of the year that AD Lyons has put out feelers to see what interest could be. Perhaps he didn't get what he was looking for? Perhaps no qualified candidate other than Fickell and Brown were interested? Tell me, who would have you targeted from a Power 5 team?

I'm willing to bet after reading Holgerson's comments about pretty much negotiating for a new contract since the beginning of the year that AD Lyons has put out feelers to see what interest could be. Perhaps he didn't get what he was looking for? Perhaps no qualified candidate other than Fickell and Brown were interested? Tell me, who would have you targeted from a Power 5 team?

Matt Campbell or David Shaw. That’s just two. There are plenty of good candidates out there. Someone else mentioned Chris Peterson. Others have mentioned P. J. Fleck.

Charleston to Columbus in under an hour? Cincinnati in under two? Are you thinking of the right Ohio?

From Charleston the capital WV of to Gallipolis? Less than an hour. Same to South Point. I said Cincy in a two and half. Where did I mention Columbus.? Pay attention.

I've been making that Cincy trip all my life. I can't help it if you're afraid to stomp on it and run those pokey-assed Buckeyes in the ditch. Grow a pair kid!

Countryroads... you are dreaming with those names.
At WVU, Dana could pay his assistants 3.4 million. At Houston, a non power 5 school, he is getting 4.5 million to hire a staff. Another reason to leave, and another reason those names won’t consider West Virginia.

P. J. Fleck.
He would be the best get, if it was possible, but he's making a little over 3.5 million, and has a decent gig at Minnesota. Likely a big buyout as well. I'm actually hoping he ends up at Michigan, somehow, someway. Maybe WVU can do me a favor, and take Harbaugh?????

Countryroads... you are dreaming with those names.

We are about to receive a check for $44 million. We just got $1 million from Houston. We make about $3 million per home game in ticket sales alone. The annual revenue for football is about $22.5 million, not counting television rights.

Matt Campbell or David Shaw. That’s just two. There are plenty of good candidates out there. Someone else mentioned Chris Peterson. Others have mentioned P. J. Fleck.

So, you think those guys would leave their current positions? Why would Campbell leave a team that beat WVU with the team we had this year?

We are about to receive a check for $44 million. We just got $1 million from Houston. We make about $3 million per home game in ticket sales alone. The annual revenue for football is about $22.5 million, not counting television rights.

Other schools make that same money.

You are silly.

You think there is some special status coaching for wvu?

Petersen just coached in the Rose Bowl.

Reactions: tOSUGrad90
You are silly.

You think there is some special status coaching for wvu?

Petersen just coached in the Rose Bowl.

This is the biggest disconnect with some of our fans....usually the casual fan sadly not always. You have to understand who you can realistically get. Matt Campbell isn't going anywhere for a few years and when he does it's NFL or a select few blue bloods. He declined to interview with the Jets. (can't blame him) Shaw or Peterson would struggle at best recruiting to WVU plus they have equal or better gigs. We weren't going to attract at P5 coach we would want....just isn't happening.

This is the biggest disconnect with some of our fans....usually the casual fan sadly not always. You have to understand who you can realistically get. Matt Campbell isn't going anywhere for a few years and when he does it's NFL or a select few blue bloods. He declined to interview with the Jets. (can't blame him) Shaw or Peterson would struggle at best recruiting to WVU plus they have equal or better gigs. We weren't going to attract at P5 coach we would want....just isn't happening.

And nothing wrong with drawing from the lower tier. Many top programs go a level down to hire coaches.

Some fans arent grounded in any form of real life.

Reactions: Soaring Eagle 74
PJ Fleck is better than Scott Frost

Remember I said this in three years.

Minnesota is going to be a dark horse in the B1G West next year

That is the exact mentality that holds us back.

And nothing wrong with drawing from the lower tier. Many top programs go a level down to hire coaches.

Some fans arent grounded in any form of real life.

I like dipping down....they are typically hungry to win and you might find the next Matt Cambell or Urban Meyer.

Chris Petersen would turn down any job not in the PNW
It was difficult for Washington to get him away from Boise St.

But it is at the best job in the PNW.
He will retire at Washington

Mentality? It's just common sense man. Not busting your balls here, but to think that a Chris Peterson or David Shaw would leave those two schools (Washington and Stanford) or that Matt Campbell would take a lateral move in the Big 12 is crazy thinking. It has nothing to do with "mentality" of our fans. WVU is a great coaching spot, but we didn't just play in a Rose Bowl.

And you should know that AD Lyons didn't just pick up a phone book last week looking for a replacement. These AD's know when to start looking. Fact that we got Neal Brown tells me that there wasn't any interest from any of the current coaches at the Power 5 level.

Why waste 3 weeks chasing people who won't take the job.

WV could have said they wanted Nick Saban or Dabo.
Then end up like Tennessee chasing coaches.

Lyons and WV did a good job in such a short notice.
Can't knock them.

Mentality? It's just common sense man. Not busting your balls here, but to think that a Chris Peterson or David Shaw would leave those two schools (Washington and Stanford) or that Matt Campbell would take a lateral move in the Big 12 is crazy thinking. It has nothing to do with "mentality" of our fans. WVU is a great coaching spot, but we didn't just play in a Rose Bowl.

And you should know that AD Lyons didn't just pick up a phone book last week looking for a replacement. These AD's know when to start looking. Fact that we got Neal Brown tells me that there wasn't any interest from any of the current coaches at the Power 5 level.

Getting a big name coach is a process that takes a few months.

Boosters contact the coach to see the interest.
Usually the coach has made an agreement with a third party before the other coach is fired.

Similar to Jimbo last year and DH this year.
Or even Mack Brown going back to UNC.

There were rumors of that in August.
Reason why Fedora was kicked around in the media.

Money, dipshit.

Money talks and bullshit walks.

If bullshit could walk, you'd been gone a long time ago.

Believe it or not, their current jobs pay them too.

So if you are the AD, how much do you offer Peterson over how many years, and how much of it do you guarantee?

It's not a mentality...it's truth. I can guarantee over the past few months Lyons and his team gauged interest in all coaches. No "big" names showed interest so they looked at the G5 and likely coordinators to see who they could get. Not a lot of top flight P5 coaches looking to make a move right now. OSU could have anyone and they hired from within. It's not a defeatist mindset....it's the state of the market and our program. Build it up to a top 15 program and you could have a different process next time around.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT