ADVERTISEMENT

Bruce Irvin Almost Heaven West Virginia

Lost a lot of respect for him.... Not that it matters

Peaceful symbolic protest. If you had any relations that faced the below I am sure you'd be singing a different tune. This was my parents era....not like ancient history. Guys have an American obligation to peacefully protest if they feel the need to do so...as should you. You are no more American or patriotic than guys that sit..at least they care enough about civics to make some sort of stand. Off my soap box.

70092.jpg

0d873d764ad20f9644ba7258faa3b46f.jpg

Last edited:
Lost a lot of respect for him.... Not that it matters

Peaceful symbolic protest. If you had any relations that faced the below I am sure you be singing a different tune. This was my parents era....not like ancient history. Guys have an American obligation to peacefully protest if they feel the need to do so...as should you. You are no more American or patriotic than guys that sit..at least they care enough about civics to make some sort of stand. Off my soap box.

70092.jpg

Well said!

Peaceful symbolic protest. If you had any relations that faced the below I am sure you be singing a different tune. This was my parents era....not like ancient history. Guys have an American obligation to peacefully protest if they feel the need to do so...as should you. You are no more American or patriotic than guys that sit..at least they care enough about civics to make some sort of stand. Off my soap box.

70092.jpg

Regarding the first photo, Malcolm Gladwell had a very interesting review of that moment in his book, David and Goliath. In short, the situation was not what most people believed it to be. Nonetheless, it was a pivotal point in the Civil Rights movement.

Reactions: majoreer

70092.jpg

I could absolutely respect it, if they used their platform to also condemn those who are inciting riots, burning and looting their own neighborhoods, blocking highways, etc....but they do not. Hypocrites. It's divisiveness and disrespect....nothing more.

70092.jpg

But, the difference is that peaceful protests lose their merit when they dishonor something else that is righteous. The right to protest is not the issue. The method that has been chosen is the issue.

Peaceful symbolic protest. If you had any relations that faced the below I am sure you'd be singing a different tune. This was my parents era....not like ancient history. Guys have an American obligation to peacefully protest if they feel the need to do so...as should you. You are no more American or patriotic than guys that sit..at least they care enough about civics to make some sort of stand. Off my soap box.

70092.jpg

I'm a military war veteran.. and your post was absolutely disgusting and disgraceful. I cared enough to fight in Iraq and Afghanistan

Last edited:
And WVU fans wonder why young people are leaving the state in droves or questions why black recruits have preconceived notions of backward West Virginians. Smh.

Reactions: countryroads89

70092.jpg

I'm a military war veteran.. and your post was absolutely disgusting and disgraceful. I cared enough to fight in Iraq and Iran
Thank you for your service Jason!

Reactions: Tin10Ten
There’s nothing even remotely racist in this thread.

Systemic and Paternalistic racism don't require the "N-word." Implying blacks are improperly protesting or do not know the correct way to protest is patently paternalistic. These athletes have a platform and are using it. Its not the method anyone has a problem with. Its the message.

Reactions: countryroads89
Systemic and Paternalistic racism don't require the "N-word." Implying blacks are improperly protesting or do not know the correct way to protest is patently paternalistic. These athletes have a platform and are using it. Its not the method anyone has a problem with. Its the message.
Sports was great... Before they force fed us their opinions on politics. I don't go to games, or buy cable packages to watch political garbage in sports.

Did you bother to read through the thread? The method is exactly what people have a problem with. You are running with a pre-conceived assumption.

There’s nothing even remotely racist in this thread.

Blacks and Whites are both doing it. And there are many blacks who are not doing it. Just because I don’t agree with what they are doing has nothing to do with their color. It’s the act. You can’t throw race on everything and everyone.

Did you bother to read through the thread? The method is exactly what people have a problem with. You are running with a pre-conceived assumption.

Yes, I did read it. I am commenting on the larger nature of the protest.

70092.jpg

I don't want to get too deep into this here on BL because we do have an OT forum for this, but what bothers me about these athletes and their "protests" is that it's all one sided. If America is all bad, why are they getting paid millions by mostly White folks to watch them play a game?

Criticize what's wrong with us sure...but don't act like this isn't still one Hell of a decent country that also deserves some appreciation!

Again...plenty of space on the OT board to carry this further and I'm Black. But some of this sh*t is even pissing me off!

It would be hard to be a Mountaineer Fan and an outright racist. Most of our athletes are not white, and I love and support them in every way I possibly can. I love Bruce no matter what he does, but I can still be disappointed.
Exactly how I feel too. Well stated WVUman11.

Reactions: atlkvb
Yes, I did read it. I am commenting on the larger nature of the protest.
I was just about to go to bed when you posted so this will be my last post for the evening.

Respectfully, I disagree with you. The protestors' cause is worthy and just, their chosen method is not. There are better ways to do what they want to do, and as professional athletes, they have multiple platforms. In reality, the national anthem is not "their" platform. It is actually held by the team owners and the NFL itself. No employee can go to work and use their employer's place of business as the employee's platform. The 1st amendment is very limited in those situations as it is here. Their chosen method actually discredits their cause. They need to rethink it if they truly want to be effective.

And claiming that one has no right to criticize another's form of protest, or that such criticism is simply racism, sexism, or some other "ism", comes off as nothing more than an attempt to silence debate and speech itself. Such a suggestion is dangerous because it threatens to stop the free flow of ideas.

The protest message is not the problem. The method is.

I'm a military war veteran.. and your post was absolutely disgusting and disgraceful. I cared enough to fight in Iraq and Afghanistan

So a post about not knowing the history behind why people might protest (and their right to do so) is disgusting and disgraceful? My father was shot in Vietnam and never once heard him pass judgement on others patriotism or use that status as some sort of moral high ground. Whatever make you tick I guess.

Just in this one thread so far, is proof positive we have some fine American soldiers on the BL. Thanks for your service Tin10Ten. Plus to all the others here that did the same, and more.

Also, this thread proves we have some smart open minded posters here too. Like Tin10Ten, MikeIII, WVUman11, atlkvb, and WVbirdman. Sure, there's many others too. I'm glad to have posters like them here to keep the rest of us on the straight and narrow, and well informed. :victory:

I was just about to go to bed when you posted so this will be my last post for the evening.

Respectfully, I disagree with you. The protestors' cause is worthy and just, their chosen method is not. There are better ways to do what they want to do, and as professional athletes, they have multiple platforms. In reality, the national anthem is not "their" platform. It is actually held by the team owners and the NFL itself. No employee can go to work and use their employer's place of business as the employee's platform. The 1st amendment is very limited in those situations as it is here. Their chosen method actually discredits their cause. They need to rethink it if they truly want to be effective.

And claiming that one has no right to criticize another's form of protest, or that such criticism is simply racism, sexism, or some other "ism", comes off as nothing more than an attempt to silence debate and speech itself. Such a suggestion is dangerous because it threatens to stop the free flow of ideas.

The protest message is not the problem. The method is.
Exactly...there is more talk about the method than there is about the issue...that's the funny thing about this whole thing. The kneelers are overshadowing their reason(s) for kneeling and they don't even realize it. What are they kneeling about anyways?

Reactions: MikeIII
So a post about not knowing the history behind why people might protest (and their right to do so) is disgusting and disgraceful? My father was shot in Vietnam and never once heard him pass judgement on others patriotism or use that status as some sort of moral high ground. Whatever make you tick I guess.
1st.. back in your fathers day, we didn't have these people on TV playing fool. They may have had legit reasons then. Doing this to piss Trump off is sad and pathetic.
I'm not claiming any moral high ground. I was asked what I contributed. I answered. Proudly served.....

I have not seen one person question so much their right to protest...just that basically sitting for the anthem ir more showing disrespect for the people who fought to help make this country what it is(we are not perfect, but which country would you have all we do here?). They have other avenues that can get their message across. Many take it as an affront. I think some of the riots have been used as excuses for punks/thugs to loot/destroy. Most will say there is some bad cops, but to have people advocating to kill cops without proof they are bad is as bad as any police abuse.(not that the players are advocating that) But many while holding BLM signs have espoused that...doesn't make BLM as a whole bad, but makes them look bad.

1st.. back in your fathers day, we didn't have these people on TV playing fool. They may have had legit reasons then. Doing this to piss Trump off is sad and pathetic.
I'm not claiming any moral high ground. I was asked what I contributed. I answered. Proudly served.....

Trump took 5 deferments. 1 for a bad foot on an otherwise pristine medical history and the others for college while 300,000 other Americans (including my father) we heading to SE Asia. Not sure why you all have give him a pass there but not here to talk about presidential politics. My Dad, BTW, went to college after and ended up with his Ph.D. My point is that a white guys from homogenous WV where everyone is thinks the same and looks the same can't be in the mind of a black kid from a place like Stone Mountain, GA. We are all way to0 judgey. Everyone always being reinforced that their world view is the smart and just one.

I don't want to get too deep into this here on BL because we do have an OT forum for this, but what bothers me about these athletes and their "protests" is that it's all one sided. If America is all bad, why are they getting paid millions by mostly White folks to watch them play a game?

Criticize what's wrong with us sure...but don't act like this isn't still one Hell of a decent country that also deserves some appreciation!

Again...plenty of space on the OT board to carry this further and I'm Black. But some of this sh*t is even pissing me off!
I read some of this and get T'ed of a bit myself. First of all it is young minds who have been totally influenced by 95% liberal minded profs. Neither Prof nor student has actual experience on which to draw a valid opinion of their own. My bitch is that these people are making charges and fun of all of male predecessors who fought and killed enemy of WWII and Korea. They totally believed in song and flag and the cause. I get mad as hell when the government give a pass to the young idiots and do not provide VA benefits that the older generation fought and died for. Uncle who was shot and left to die for three days on a beachhead. Uncle who was on multiple boats on 12-7-41. Another uncle who got frostbite and eventually died. Step-father who drove a tank for Patton in one hitch. On recall, he rode a motorcycle behind enemy lines delivering messages. Now, I am forbidden to fight for the same causes they fought for. I certainly do not believe I am doing my part in support for my family.

Nothing racist in this post/thread??? The hair cuts on the boys at the counter tell me they are centered in my era. Cops, I wore badge then, in large metro city in the south, and I can tell you there was racism when dogs were brought out. The racism has changed just a bit in my life time. To illustrate, the young black at the counter would now be breaking windows and burning the business establishment. Now, the liberals attempt to justify their actions by what happened sometime in the past. I have seen racism and it is impossible for me to make a distinction as to whether it is provided by whites of yesteryear or blacks of today.

As the man said, "Why can we all not just get along".

Trump took 5 deferments. 1 for a bad foot on an otherwise pristine medical history and the others for college while 300,000 other Americans (including my father) we heading to SE Asia. Not sure why you all have give him a pass there but not here to talk about presidential politics. My Dad, BTW, went to college after and ended up with his Ph.D. My point is that a white guys from homogenous WV where everyone is thinks the same and looks the same can't be in the mind of a black kid from a place like Stone Mountain, GA. We are all way to0 judgey. Everyone always being reinforced that their world view is the smart and just one.
Does that include your attempt at passing judgement on people who had deferments from military service? You are criticizing people for doing what you have done. Would you not offer the president an apology for your insinuation?

How about me? I had deferment for medical, student, and age finally. I had medical because of ulcers. Really? Yes, they said they could not feed me a bland diet in VN and that is where I was bound for if I got in. Actually, I volunteered if they had an assignment that I chose, I would have been in military if fit for duty. Quiet a few others received physical deferments

ADVERTISEMENT