Bru

Snow Sled Baby

All-American
Gold Member
Jan 4, 2003
Staunton Va
to continue from yesterday (had a basketball game to watch
ohwell.r191677.gif

I'm with you on posting pics. I can't do it. I can link a webpage though.

Here is a youtube video of what is being called an Indian Hen. I find no evidence of a real woodpecker named Indian Hen. There is an Indian Hen chicken but I'm sure that isn't what is being referenced. Anyway, this video shows a Pileated Woodpecker but both the male and female does have a red crest. This video is showing smaller Pileated than what I witnessed but maybe they are different sizes based on the habitat. I don't know.

The female red-bellied woodpecker does not have red on her head. That maybe what you witnessed. Many people call red-bellied woodpeckers "red-headed" woodpeckers but they simply don't know what they are talking about as red-headed are much rarer to see. Red-bellied and Downy woodpeckers are the two type that are most commonly seen and they will visit backyard feeders for seeds. I have both at my feeders as they have nests in my backyard.

youtube

May I chime in here on a related subject ??

By any chance, did either of you guys happen to catch the PBS Nature episode earlier this week on owls ??

If not, I was amazed to learn that owls can see 2 1/2 times better in the dark than others.....in fact, 70% of an owl's skull is said to be devoted to accommodating their eyes (while eyes only occupy 5% of a human skull). They therefore do much of their hunting at night when other predators are down; as a result, they're viewed to more or less "own the skies" when it's dark. In addition, their hearing is something like 10x better than other birds, meaning they can literally hear their pray moving (even when covered by snow).

The show also explained how their wings are developed in such a way that they create virtually no air turbulence when in flight; meaning they fly virtually silently. Moreover, their wings are apparently much bigger (comparatively speaking) than other predator birds, allowing them to fly much slower and virtually hover in the air......making it easier for them to plot an attack on their prey. Apparently, their biggest physical negative is the fact their wings are not waterproof; said to be a byproduct of their ability to fly so silently. I guess when it rains, they have big problems; in fact, the piece described rain as their "kryptonite".

They also discussed the physiology surrounding owls' wacky ability to swivel their heads something like 270 degrees; extremes that would pinch-off arteries and cause a human to pass out from lack of blood flow to the brain. Anyway, if you haven't seen the Show, I'd wholeheartedly recommend you take the time to watch this profile about this fascinating predator the next time it shows on your local PBS affiliate.

Re: May I chime in here on a related subject ??

Yes, good show. It's neat and rare for me to see an owl.

Re: Absolutely you can chime in! And yes, I saw

the new documentary and absolutely loved it. Been watching a lot of PBS lately with that new documentary and the series on Italian-Americans and last month was the Roosevelt's.

But owls are probably the most intriguing bird of prey and challenges hummingbirds as maybe the most fascinating of the entire species. They are amazing and the documentary was truly outstanding. I can't wait to watch it again.

I love seeing the owls that live in my neighborhood. We hear them often but as any birder knows, they are hard to spot. It is truly a great day when we see one gliding around going from one perch to another.

If I was a founding father, my vote for the national bird would have been the Great Horned Owl versus the Bald Eagle if one went on the characteristics of the birds. But the Bald Eagle is so majestic looking and it isn't a bad pick at all. But Eagles are not even remotely as interesting as an owl or even hawks in the bird of prey category.

Re: Absolutely you can chime in! And yes, I saw

Lemme tell you......those damned hummingbirds can flap their wings like a sonovabitch, eh ??

Anyway, back to owls, I was surprised to recognize how really little I knew about them. It occurred to me how seldom in my life I've actually seen them in the wild; of course, perhaps they've been around, and simply found a way to remain hidden from my attention.

Regardless, like all God's creatures in their own right, they're an amazing species.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT