ADVERTISEMENT

Brown's thoughts on Albany

Keenan Cummings

Fact Based and Wonderful
Staff
Sep 16, 2007
"We've got an opponent coming in this week that has played football at a high level. This Albany team, the thing that sticks out to me the most is I watched them last night and this morning is extremely well coached. It's a group that played in the semifinals last year, the FCS. I'm sitting there watching them beat Idaho in the – I think it's the Kibbee Dome and I played there when we were Troy when Idaho was FBS. That's a tough place to play. And they go out last year and win in Idaho and I'm watching that game thinking, you know, Idaho almost beat Oregon. And so I think that puts some, that gives you some perspective on what kind of team that's coming in here, it’s a team that's used to winning, it’s a team that plays in a really good conference, the CAA it’s one of the top two or three FCS leagues in the country. I coached in that myself for a number of years, and these guys do a really good job schematically in all three phases. And I'll start kind of on offense. Last year they were really good throwing the football but it started with the run. They're going to give us a bunch of different formation looks. They're going to establish the run.

Offensive line-wise, they've got really good size, especially at the FCS level. I think they've got three guys up front that are good enough to play in our league. And they've got a receiver that had a big game last week or on Saturday night that started his career at Oregon. Overall, they've got 20 Division I transfers. They have six guys they were on top of four rosters a year ago, so they've got guys that can play at this level. And they're not going to be intimidated they gave Marshall everything they wanted him for last year down in Huntington. And so defensively, they line up and play. They're a four-down front that bases out and cover four. And they play really gap-sound defense, they tackle. Their defensive line is really well coached. They've had several guys that have left there in the last three and four years and gone on to power four schools and then been drafted and so they really are good at developing guys on that defensive line. And they've got two corners that they can really run that they play man coverage regardless of who they're playing, they've lined up and play man. And they're sound and they're special teams. They do some things that we've got to work. They're a little bit unique, but they're a good football team. This is the best FCS program we've had coming here since the first game in 2019 when we played James Madison. And so they've got our attention. We're an 0-1 football team until we do something about it. And we've got a great opportunity on Saturday night to get under the lights."

Reactions: spot the ball
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.