ADVERTISEMENT

šŸ”„šŸ”„BREAKINGšŸ”„šŸ”„ Brown to WVU now official

Looking forward to the future of Mountaineer football and to the dignity and pride that Coach Brown will bring to WVU! Coach, your reputation of molding young men, not only for football, but for life precedes you. I believe that the qualities and skills that you possess as a coach and as a person will be the reason Mountaineer football will rise to new heights... not only for what happens on the field, but for how you will instill a culture of success at WVU, through hard work, dedication and sacrifice, with character and class, teaching young men not only winning in football, but winning in life. Praying for you sir for a smooth transition and much, much success!

Looking forward to the future of Mountaineer football and to the dignity and pride that Coach Brown will bring to WVU! Coach, your reputation of molding young men, not only for football, but for life precedes you. I believe that the qualities and skills that you possess as a coach and as a person will be the reason Mountaineer football will rise to new heights... not only for what happens on the field, but for how you will instill a culture of success at WVU, through hard work, dedication and sacrifice, with character and class, teaching young men not only winning in football, but winning in life. Praying for you sir for a smooth transition and much, much success!

Molding men?

Isnt that how God made Adam? Brown seems like a good guy and a heck of a coach so far, but holy moly....all we need from him is to win some football games.

Sounds like Browns photo has a place reserved on your dining room wall, right between JFK and MLK.

Last edited:
Molding men?

Isnt that how God made Adam? Brown seems like a good guy and a heck of a coach so far, but holy moly....all we need from him is to win some football games.

We ā€œwon some football gamesā€ with Dana. Real programs mold men. Men win the BIG games. We havenā€™t done much of that for a long while.

Reactions: Phil
We ā€œwon some football gamesā€ with Dana. Real programs mold men. Men win the BIG games. We havenā€™t done much of that for a long while.

Mold men?

Give me a break. Urban Meyer runs REAL programs that win BIG games. His players dont seem too well molded to me.

Miami won a tons of BIG games and those boys werent very molded. Same goes for FSU, USC.

If you want to mold a man (whatever that even means), have a child and raise him properly. The football coach at a major university will be too busy trying to win games so he doesnt get fired.

Last edited:
Mold men?

Give me a break. Urban Meyer runs REAL programs that win BIG games. His players dont seem too well molded to me.

Miami won a tons of BIG games and those boys werent very molded. Same goes for FSU, USC.

OSU did it with overwhelming talent. Does Urban Meyer remind you of a great ā€œx and oā€ guy??? Heā€™s a very average coach. I would argue he was a far better coach at Utah. He won because he gets top 5 talent every year. When you donā€™t get that level of talent, you need men.

Think at what Huggs has done with marginal talent here. Ignoring Sags, he has molded men. Thatā€™s how you win big games with average talent.

OSU did it with overwhelming talent. Does Urban Meyer remind you of a great ā€œx and oā€ guy??? Heā€™s a very average coach. I would argue he was a far better coach at Utah. He won because he gets top 5 talent every year. When you donā€™t get that level of talent, you need men.

Think at what Huggs has done with marginal talent here. Ignoring Sags, he has molded men. Thatā€™s how you win big games with average talent.

I dont care how he does it. His job is to win football games and he does. Thats the goal. Thats why they are there. They arent counselors or priests.

Look at the post I quoted, it was about winning in life, yadda yadda. Hollywood BS.

These coaches win or get fired. No one cares about anything else. Not the fans, not the administration.

When we were winning big no one seemed to care that Pac Man and Chris Henry were out of control. They werent "molded" but no one seemed to care.

Huggins players dont seem any different than kids from other programs. Some are good kids, some are knuckleheads.

I dont care how he does it. His job is to win football games and he does. Thats the goal. Thats why they are there. They arent counselors or priests.

Look at the post I quoted, it was about winning in life, yadda yadda. Hollywood BS.

These coaches win or get fired. No one cares about anything else. Not the fans, not the administration.

When we were winning big no one seemed to care that Pac Man and Chris Henry were out of control. They werent "molded" but no one seemed to care.

Huggins players dont seem any different than kids from other programs. Some are good kids, some are knuckleheads.
I donā€™t agree. While you are correct, everybody wants to win games. No 1 priority! These athletes are representatives of the University and help mold the public impression of the University. As a West Virginian who has lived in a few other states the public opinion of our state and University can stand improvement. It is a uphill battle! Dabo has done a lot to help the public stature of Clemson. College kids do what college kids do. I was a student at WVU for 5 years and some of my behavior was not great. The more we say and do in a positive manner the better off our program will be.

I donā€™t recall us winning big when Pac-Man and Henry were here, and except for the Pac-Man pool stick incident, they didnā€™t have big legal issues while at WVU. They didnā€™t blossom into legal headaches until they were in the NFL. Henry had one meltdown during a game against Rutgers that I recall, but that was emotion in the game, not breaking the law.

And yes, everyone was concerned with the black eye their behavior in the nfl gave WVU.

I want to win. And for us to do so, we have to take chances on some guys here and there. I think what people are saying is they want/hope our program can bring in kids and keep them a few years and release them better prepared to be good citizens than when we got them. I donā€™t know what is so hard to understand about that.

And of course if we are losing 8-10 games a year, regardless of how well mannered the players are, people are not going to be happy. Again, donā€™t see the difficulty in comprehending that concept.

People hope to have a good program that produces quality citizens. That appears to be what Brownā€™s goals are, and most fans appreciate that... maybe you donā€™t, and that is your right, but most do. Once more, not that hard to understand.

Reactions: Tnmounty
I donā€™t recall us winning big when Pac-Man and Henry were here, and except for the Pac-Man pool stick incident, they didnā€™t have big legal issues while at WVU. They didnā€™t blossom into legal headaches until they were in the NFL. Henry had one meltdown during a game against Rutgers that I recall, but that was emotion in the game, not breaking the law.

And yes, everyone was concerned with the black eye their behavior in the nfl gave WVU.

I want to win. And for us to do so, we have to take chances on some guys here and there. I think what people are saying is they want/hope our program can bring in kids and keep them a few years and release them better prepared to be good citizens than when we got them. I donā€™t know what is so hard to understand about that.

And of course if we are losing 8-10 games a year, regardless of how well mannered the players are, people are not going to be happy. Again, donā€™t see the difficulty in comprehending that concept.

People hope to have a good program that produces quality citizens. That appears to be what Brownā€™s goals are, and most fans appreciate that... maybe you donā€™t, and that is your right, but most do. Once more, not that hard to understand.

They are citizens before they join the team, and their quality ranges. Saying we take chances here and there is a polite way if saying we over look behavior if the player is good enough.

Btw, most players we recruit and sign wont graduate from WVU. They leave, transfer get kicked off whatever and then we graduate about 80% of whats left over. If it werent for football, most athletes would never be accepted to these universities.

After they leave the program, they get little support. Many go back to where they came from and don't do a whole lot.

Even the pro players go broke. We dont prepare them for squat.

Football teams produce football players. Meyer, Jimbo, Kelly, ect. arent in the quality citizen business....no coach is at this level. Save the Hollywood ending shtick for someone else.

Its phony BS. Its like when a politician says they are for the working man, or whatever. They feed bullshit because they know fans lick it up.

Browns goal better be winning lots of football games because if not, he wont have a job. Maybe he has a fall back plan as a Scout Leader but Im guessing coaching is where he wants to be.

People wanted DH fired after his 4 win 3rd season. Two years removed from an Orange Bowl win.

Stop lying to yourselves. Its only about winning and losing.

Anything else is marketing and salesmanship.

I donā€™t agree. While you are correct, everybody wants to win games. No 1 priority! These athletes are representatives of the University and help mold the public impression of the University. As a West Virginian who has lived in a few other states the public opinion of our state and University can stand improvement. It is a uphill battle! Dabo has done a lot to help the public stature of Clemson. College kids do what college kids do. I was a student at WVU for 5 years and some of my behavior was not great. The more we say and do in a positive manner the better off our program will be.

Nobody thinks any different of South Carolina or Clemson, they just know their football team is pretty good right now. Their stature hasnt changed.

Alabama is a football dynasty and it hasnt seemed to help the perception of the state one bit outside of football.

Miami football had some of the worst behaved teams in CFB history and it never effected Miami's status as an academically well ranked, expensive, private university.

They are citizens before they join the team, and their quality ranges. Saying we take chances here and there is a polite way if saying we over look behavior if the player is good enough.

Btw, most players we recruit and sign wont graduate from WVU. They leave, transfer get kicked off whatever and then we graduate about 80% of whats left over. If it werent for football, most athletes would never be accepted to these universities.

After they leave the program, they get little support. Many go back to where they came from and don't do a whole lot.

Even the pro players go broke. We dont prepare them for squat.

Football teams produce football players. Meyer, Jimbo, Kelly, ect. arent in the quality citizen business....no coach is at this level. Save the Hollywood ending shtick for someone else.

Its phony BS. Its like when a politician says they are for the working man, or whatever. They feed bullshit because they know fans lick it up.

Browns goal better be winning lots of football games because if not, he wont have a job. Maybe he has a fall back plan as a Scout Leader but Im guessing coaching is where he wants to be.

Nothing you said changes my point. Like I said, maybe you donā€™t appreciate it, but that is your right.

Nothing you said changes my point. Like I said, maybe you donā€™t appreciate it, but that is your right.

I dont believe you are sincere.

I expect a coach to prepare his players for football games. Ive never wanted a coach to mold a man...whatever that means.

These arent volunteer coaches mentoring inner city youth in Detroit.

Penn State played the Success With Honor card for decades, look where that got them. Best to just let your football coach, coach football and let the man molding to family and other people more qualified.

Last edited:

You are totally wrong about Urban Meyer.

Meyer has a very high football IQ.
He is not of the Mack Brown mold.

Ohio St loss to Purdue because they didn't have Meyer early in the season.
This is why I am questioning the hire of Ryan Day.

Day was happy to throw the ball 60 times. This worked until they played Purdue.

Think that was the second game back for Urban Meyer.
After that loss Meyer forced that team to find a way to run the ball.

Talent does not win football games...
Oklahoma's D is the best example.
Oklahoma has Top 10 talent on D.

You are totally wrong about Urban Meyer.

Meyer has a very high football IQ.
He is not of the Mack Brown mold.

Ohio St loss to Purdue because they didn't have Meyer early in the season.
This is why I am questioning the hire of Ryan Day.

Day was happy to throw the ball 60 times. This worked until they played Purdue.

Think that was the second game back for Urban Meyer.
After that loss Meyer forced that team to find a way to run the ball.

Talent does not win football games...
Oklahoma's D is the best example.
Oklahoma has Top 10 talent on D.

I think Meyer will be the next ND coach.

People wanted DH fired after his 4 win 3rd season. Two years removed from an Orange Bowl win.

Stop lying to yourselves. Its only about winning and losing.

Anything else is marketing and salesmanship.

It wasnā€™t just because of the win total. That team got worse as the year went on and absolutely quit on several occasions. Lack of executing the fundamentals was rampant. I would argue the later is still an issue on defense.

Losing like that pisses off the educated fan.

It wasnā€™t just because of the win total. That team got worse as the year went on and absolutely quit on several occasions. Lack of executing the fundamentals was rampant. I would argue the later is still an issue on defense.

Losing like that pisses off the educated fan.

Like I said, its about winning. Nothing else.

I think Meyer will be the next ND coach.

USC is a strong possibility
Because of the timing and Meyer's history.

USC's footprint in their recruiting territory is stronger than probably even LSU's in theirs.

But SC boosters need to write the check.
They are the weirdest alumni group you will meet and are responsible for 98% of USC's problems.

The Urban Meyer self-appointed experts on this board are hilarious. Some argue that he can't recruit and others contend that he doesn't know x's and o's. I just look at his numbers and accomplishments, and laugh at the haters. He went 83-9 at Ohio State with a national title, and wins in the Sugar, Rose, Fiesta and Cotton bowls in seven seasons. Before that, he won two national championships at Florida, led Utah to an undefeated season, and won at Bowling Green. There are two coaches in college football history who have coached as long as he has, and posted higher winning percentages, and both of them coached at Notre Dame ions ago. Not even Nick Saban has a higher winning percentage than Meyer. I'd say, with great confidence, that Meyer is an elite recruiter, and knows x's and o's better than most. Ryan Day has enormous shoes to fill.

Reactions: Tnmounty
Nobody thinks any different of South Carolina or Clemson, they just know their football team is pretty good right now. Their stature hasnt changed.

Alabama is a football dynasty and it hasnt seemed to help the perception of the state one bit outside of football.
I donā€™t understand your negativity. I have kids that attended both Clemson and Alabama. I can assure the incoming freshman entrance scores have risen significantly. Student body size has increased. The sheer numbers applying for entrance has increased substantially. There are a huge number of California kids applying. Now why would that be?

Miami football had some of the worst behaved teams in CFB history and it never effected Miami's status as an academically well ranked, expensive, private university.

Meanwhile, hopefully we can look forward to games where we shouldn't win, but do.

Why all the negativity? If you can win the ā€œright wayā€ people see that and respect it. I have kids that have graduated from Alabama and Clemson. I know from my experience that both of these schools have seen a rise in their freshman class entrance exams scores, larger application numbers which allows more selectivity and some great national recognition. I know a number of recent grads from California and the northeast. Why do think that is?

I dont believe you are sincere.

I expect a coach to prepare his players for football games. Ive never wanted a coach to mold a man...whatever that means.

These arent volunteer coaches mentoring inner city youth in Detroit.

Penn State played the Success With Honor card for decades, look where that got them. Best to just let your football coach, coach football and let the man molding to family and other people more qualified.

I donā€™t really give a crap what you believe. You are nobody to me. I donā€™t owe you anything. You donā€™t like what I say, then have a coke and a smile a go the heck on. You can be contrary all day for all I care.

All I tried to do was explain to you what people hope for, but you are so intent on having an argumentative and opposing view that you canā€™t even accept that people hope WVU wins and also helps impact its players in a positive manner to the point that they go out and do well in life and are good citizens in the community.

I donā€™t believe this is about WVU at all. I believe this is about you and your own frustrations in life. Maybe things havenā€™t turned out the way you want, so your Schlick is to be miserable on purpose, and you happen to follow WVU so you believe they owe it to you to win at all costs?

Do you do anything and everything in life to win? Are you a winner in life? Because if you are not, then maybe you are just frustrated at yourself for not having the courage to go all out and achieve, and end up taking your frustrations out on a message designed for fans of a college sports team. Your win at all costs claim seems particularly hypocritical if you are unwilling to sell out yourself to achieve the best you can in your own life.

I donā€™t really give a crap what you believe. You are nobody to me. I donā€™t owe you anything. You donā€™t like what I say, then have a coke and a smile a go the heck on. You can be contrary all day for all I care.

All I tried to do was explain to you what people hope for, but you are so intent on having an argumentative and opposing view that you canā€™t even accept that people hope WVU wins and also helps impact its players in a positive manner to the point that they go out and do well in life and are good citizens in the community.

I donā€™t believe this is about WVU at all. I believe this is about you and your own frustrations in life. Maybe things havenā€™t turned out the way you want, so your Schlick is to be miserable on purpose, and you happen to follow WVU so you believe they owe it to you to win at all costs?

Do you do anything and everything in life to win? Are you a winner in life? Because if you are not, then maybe you are just frustrated at yourself for not having the courage to go all out and achieve, and end up taking your frustrations out on a message designed for fans of a college sports team. Your win at all costs claim seems particularly hypocritical if you are unwilling to sell out yourself to achieve the best you can in your own life.

Nice kids on the team ride the bench if they cant out perform the knucklehead. The bonehead with talent will get more chanced than the average kid struggling to find a spot on the roster.

The quality citizen doesnt get the scholarship if he can't out perform a troublemaker.

If you want to focus on producing good citizens via college football, then you need to scrape the current system and start from scratch. Its not set up for that. Coaches get fired for losing. They get paid for winning.

Coaches need to follow rules, but they dont need to be anything but coaches. They are hired to produce wins. Everything else is marketing.

You can hope in one hand and shit in another and tell me which fills first.

I say here all the time, my life doesn't change if WVU wins or loses. Its entertainment. The coaches know if they dont win they are gone, thats reality. Look at Major Applewhite. 2 seasons and fired, and not because his players weren't quality citizens.

About every thread on this site gets taken over by bitchin and moanin contests. Let's talk about the new head coach!

Im content with myself enough that I dont need to lie and pretend. College football has nothing to do with building men of character.

If you want that out of the game, then the service academies are a good example.

Oh we like our heroes, we want to win, and we want to have fantasies that off the football field a few players kiss babies, help old women across the street, are good husbands, eagle scouts. We want to have our cake and eat it too, undefeated and 3 Rhodes scholars and Coach of the Year for the coach. We love winning and if we can find 1 or 2 players on the team that are model citizens out of the 100 players on the team, we love to brag about that and proclaim that they represent the character of the whole team. We won't look real closely at the rest of the players because most people won't care unless they embarrass the school. Fan fantasies. Good luck Coach Brown!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT