ADVERTISEMENT

WVU Release Brown meets Nehlen

Would have been so much smoother for Brown just to lie and act like he already had a breadth of knowledge of the University and it's history and not just straight up tell him he did research.

It's great either way, but a true climber would have fibbed a little. :wink:

You could see that kindred spirit when the two of them shook hands. As Brown told him you have a lot more wins than me so I will take any advice you want to give me. 40 years is like deja vu all over again. We have our man, lets go mountaineers.

Reactions: LAMountaineer
Wow, it's been a long time since I've seen video of Dandy Don. It's good to see that he's hanging in there. Just hearing that voice of his brings back memories. I bet he stopped at TCBY on the way home. I wonder if that TCBY he used to go to all the time is still there, near the intersection of Van Voorhis and the other one, Patterson maybe.

Good luck Neal Brown. Thanks for the memories Don Nehlen. And Mountaineer football goes on.

ETA: The way Nehlen puts his hand on Neal Brown's shoulder is the exact same way he used to do it when he was on the sideline and he was getting ready to send in the next offensive play, with his hand on the WVU players shoulder, and then when he decided on the play he'd pull the player down towards him a little and say the play in his ear and he player would the run to the huddle with it. I've seen it a million times.

ETA: I just looked up TCBY's website and not only is that TCBY not still near the stadium, there's not one anywhere in Motown and the nearest one is Charleroi, PA. Dang, I hope Don has found something similar in Motown he likes just as well.

Last edited:
A little arithmetic shows me that Don Nehlen took the WVU job 95 days before Neal Brown was born (Dec 7, 1979 vs Mar 11, 1980).

You could see that kindred spirit when the two of them shook hands. As Brown told him you have a lot more wins than me so I will take any advice you want to give me. 40 years is like deja vu all over again. We have our man, lets go mountaineers.

And with this simple gesture of a hand on the shoulder we have the passing of the baton, never mind all those guys that were in between.

Reactions: Rootmaster and RAK
And with this simple gesture of a hand on the shoulder we have the passing of the baton, never mind all those guys that were in between.

He wasn't passing the baton. He was knighting the next WVU coach as he did the previous 3.

He wasn't passing the baton. He was knighting the next WVU coach as he did the previous 3.

Body language. While Don did like Stewart, he spent little time with Holgorsen and from everything I saw from him including his own words, he had a strong dislike of The Product as soon as he met him. He of course met them all in due time but there is a difference in doing your job and being happy with that discharge.

Body language. While Don did like Stewart, he spent little time with Holgorsen and from everything I saw from him including his own words, he had a strong dislike of The Product as soon as he met him. He of course met them all in due time but there is a difference in doing your job and being happy with that discharge.

I've heard Don speak in person and on his how and it appeared he spent a little more time speaking with Dana over the past few years. I agree that he never seemed impressed with "the product". Love listening to Don on Sportsline on Monday's during the season. He would discuss how he would run the defense to try to slow down the big 12 offenses.

Or his classic coaches show line, "I'm tellin' ya Jack, these modern defense's wouldn't know how to handle the single-wing."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT