ADVERTISEMENT

Breaking News!! Pat White to interview for QB coach opening!

dentist83

Redshirting
Jan 10, 2019
Got to admit it's got merit, what he could do with Trey Lowe, one on one is unthinkable. Now if we can only get Coach Brown's attention...any ideas??

Why would you want a QB who never developed as a passer trying to teach Lowe how to be a QB.

The changes of the D have made the zone read without the pass option unrunnable.

The pass option was never a part of White's game.

Reactions: leapinglannypoffo
Why would you want a QB who never developed as a passer trying to teach Lowe how to be a QB.

The changes of the D have made the zone read without the pass option unrunnable.

I don't at all think the hire is one that should be considered but Pat 'greatly' developed as a passer. You just don't know where he was when he first arrived at WVU. It was night and day.

Let's see.......Pat White rushed for 4480 total yards and passed for 6049 yards.
His rushing average per carry was 6.5 yards and his average pass completion was for 7.7 yards. He completed 65% of his passes and had a passer rating of 147.7. It's funny how time does not change numbers, just your perceived memory.

Reactions: wvufootball1976
I don't at all think the hire is one that should be considered but Pat 'greatly' developed as a passer. You just don't know where he was when he first arrived at WVU. It was night and day.

That is true.
I wouldn't say never developed as I did..

Let's see.......Pat White rushed for 4480 total yards and passed for 6049 yards.
His rushing average per carry was 6.5 yards and his average pass completion was for 7.7 yards. He completed 65% of his passes and had a passer rating of 147.7. It's funny how time does not change numbers, just your perceived memory.

Don't take it as an attack on Pat White.
He was a great QB in his time.

But his collection of plays have been phased out.
One of the reasons why Rich Rod failed elsewhere.

QBs today are taught to read the secondary instead of the DE and LB.

The Zone Read was the step from the Triple Option to the RPO.

Pat had trouble throwing with touch he was good at throwing certain routes.... I wouldn’t complain if Clint tricket got it o think he will be up and coming coach....His dad was heck of a coach just very rough around the edges lol.

Pat White played with more heart than many other talented QB's in his time.
Pat White played with more heart than many larger and more gifted QB's in his era.He rushed for 47 touchdowns and passed for 56 touchdowns.Lots of manageable passes and great reads were his mark. From first impressions, it sounds like Coach Brown knows how to sustain drives down the field. Dana often would throw the 30 yard pass on 3rd down and short, this lead to many short circuited drives in a league where time of possession could very easily slow down the shoot out mentality. You can't have a shootout if one team is making 8-10 minute drives with common sense decisions. That is what Pat White did best, make very quick common sense decisions. He could recruit in Alabama, Troy's back yard. He does not need to have great passing touch to be an effective coach.

Reactions: pressvirginia

Pat White played with more heart than many larger and more gifted QB's in his era.He rushed for 47 touchdowns and passed for 56 touchdowns.Lots of manageable passes and great reads were his mark. From first impressions, it sounds like Coach Brown knows how to sustain drives down the field. Dana often would throw the 30 yard pass on 3rd down and short, this lead to many short circuited drives in a league where time of possession could very easily slow down the shoot out mentality. You can't have a shootout if one team is making 8-10 minute drives with common sense decisions. That is what Pat White did best, make very quick common sense decisions. He could recruit in Alabama, Troy's back yard. He does not need to have great passing touch to be an effective coach.

Can he develop a kid? he’s coached one year. if Coach brown says he can coach it’s his hire I’m all for it.

But pats playing style was brought up which is why I commented on it. He was an all time great mountaineer. One of the best football players ever to play here

Reactions: RAK

Dana did that..

Because you have take the top off of a defense.
Then the safties sit back. The DL and LB gets tired.

If WV came out and tried to established the run against any of the good defenses in the conference they would get into third and six and seven.

Then you put a QB that doesn't have an arm.
You can play man to man and play physical off the line.

Because even if the WR beats the CB the QB can make an accurate pass 40 yards downfield.

Watch Shawn Robinson from TCU.
Reason why they told him to get loss and TCU's offense looked like shit.

Reactions: wvufootball2006
Hire him ASAP. Pat White played in NFL and Canada and actually played in real NFL games. He was one of the greatest QBs ever in college and it wasn’t that long ago. 10 years isn’t that long. He knows WV, WVU and can possibly recruit north and south with his knowledge, name, proven stardom, experience as a player. Pat White has a daughter and her mother has a nice medical job in Morgantown, Bridgeport greater North Central WV area which is a great area to live.

Hire him ASAP. Pat White played in NFL and Canada and actually played in real NFL games. He was one of the greatest QBs ever in college and it wasn’t that long ago. 10 years isn’t that long. He knows WV, WVU and can possibly recruit north and south with his knowledge, name, proven stardom, experience as a player. Pat White has a daughter and her mother has a nice medical job in Morgantown, Bridgeport greater North Central WV area which is a great area to live.

He was one of the best players ever in college not one of the best qbs ever his mechanics had issues.
He’s coached one year... his qb threw for over 200 yards three times all season I love pat like everyone else but you think that because someone was a great player it automatically makes them this awesome coach it’s not true it takes time...

Yo can't make tis stuff up.Pat White was the quarterback coach for Alcorn State University this past fall.
Not a big leap for an Alabama kid to work with Neal Brown.
Dana did that..

Because you have take the top off of a defense.
Then the safties sit back. The DL and LB gets tired.

If WV came out and tried to established the run against any of the good defenses in the conference they would get into third and six and seven.

Then you put a QB that doesn't have an arm.
You can play man to man and play physical off the line.

Because even if the WR beats the CB the QB can make an accurate pass 40 yards downfield.

Watch Shawn Robinson from TCU.
Reason why they told him to get loss and TCU's offense looked like shit.
I'm not saying establish the run only, but the total lack of perimeter runs in 3rd and short situations was questionable at best. Grier was not mobile enough and was not coached to roll out and pump fake, he was coached to stare down the the d-backs and step up,he got creamed, that's not developing a quarterback to roll. Trey Lowe can definitely move, rolling, pump faking with RPO at his side would be effective. Execution of high probability for success plays on short yardage situations was Dana's obvious weakness, plus the run became too predictable again due to lack of perimeter plays in those instances. It was like the jet sweep just disappeared, you only needed 2 yards, a good QB read or pitch easily gets somebody to the perimeter which eventually opens up the middle of the line which was overused, especially in goal line situations. Those corner tosses in the end zone are not high probability for success, what the Eagles did Sunday at the goal line on 4th and goal was high probability. Brown already knows the difference.

Is this true, would love to have Pat White on the staff. Him and Jack Ham are the only signed pics I have on my wall.

Reactions: eerphone
Yo can't make tis stuff up.Pat White was the quarterback coach for Alcorn State University this past fall.
Not a big leap for an Alabama kid to work with Neal Brown.

I'm not saying establish the run only, but the total lack of perimeter runs in 3rd and short situations was questionable at best. Grier was not mobile enough and was not coached to roll out and pump fake, he was coached to stare down the the d-backs and step up,he got creamed, that's not developing a quarterback to roll. Trey Lowe can definitely move, rolling, pump faking with RPO at his side would be effective. Execution of high probability for success plays on short yardage situations was Dana's obvious weakness, plus the run became too predictable again due to lack of perimeter plays in those instances. It was like the jet sweep just disappeared, you only needed 2 yards, a good QB read or pitch easily gets somebody to the perimeter which eventually opens up the middle of the line which was overused, especially in goal line situations. Those corner tosses in the end zone are not high probability for success, what the Eagles did Sunday at the goal line on 4th and goal was high probability. Brown already knows the difference.

I can’t believe I’m wasting my time responding to this. Will Grier had what 37 touchdowns this year? Not being able to stay in the pocket and rolling takes an entire side of the field away, the best qbs stay in the pocket and move dbs with their eyes they don’t stare them down. Look at tua vs Trevor lawerence, tua panicked to much and threw two awful picks in NC. Will Grier did not stare them down or he wouldn’t have had 37 to 8 td to int. Jet sweeps aren’t high probability plays on a stacked box... I’d rather see a team get north south

tenor.gif

Reactions: WVU-Brand
I see what Dentist/WVpride is saying.

Best example of this is Auburn and Gus Malzahn.

But Auburn's OLine was in the 330 pound range.
Plus Nick Marshall when needed could make the throws.

But even Auburn and Gus Malzahn went with more of a pocket passer.

Texastrill many people get hired because of who likes them, who they know just like the real world. Why would Pat White be any worse than anybody else we hire? He just coached at D1 FCS Alcorn State as QB coach. He is one of the all time great college QBs and played 2 years in NFL and 2-3 years in Canada after being a early 2nd round NFL draft pick. He got a bad concussion playing against Pittsburgh Steelers his rookie year at QB and the next year decided to quit NFL and play professional baseball but later came back to football 1-2 years later. He actually played in real NFL games for Miami Dolphins. He has NFL and Canada playing experience as a player after 5 years at WVU where he redshirted and then started 4 years. Why not Pat White? He knows the position. Been in football his entire life. Legendary high school star QB in Alabama. Has player credibility at all levels.

Pat White was a star QB at WVU and one of the greatest college QBs of all time. He also got drafted early 2nd round as a QB and played in real NFL games as a rookie and later played QB in Canada. The guy has real player credibility and just coached his first year at Alcorn State as a QBs coach. You don’t think he knows what he’s doing? He is a 32 year old with more maturity now and a year of coaching experience to go along with great QB playing credibility at all levels and former legendary QB here at WVU.

I see what Dentist/WVpride is saying.

Best example of this is Auburn and Gus Malzahn.

But Auburn's OLine was in the 330 pound range.
Plus Nick Marshall when needed could make the throws.

But even Auburn and Gus Malzahn went with more of a pocket passer.

Marshall wasn’t accurate throwing the ball. He was a great player but Malzahn has been on hot seat 2x because his offense has been one deminsonal he set Stidham back 4 years

And the reason PW never made it in the NFL was that he never developed that pass option. Bubble Screens for a pass option just doesn't work. It took teams a few years to figure out a D that worked, but when Wanny finally did it, the zone read was out the window.

Pat White was a star QB at WVU and one of the greatest college QBs of all time. He also got drafted early 2nd round as a QB and played in real NFL games as a rookie and later played QB in Canada. The guy has real player credibility and just coached his first year at Alcorn State as a QBs coach. You don’t think he knows what he’s doing? He is a 32 year old with more maturity now and a year of coaching experience to go along with great QB playing credibility at all levels and former legendary QB here at WVU.

OH, Pride, Pride, Pride. Pat was an all time great in COLLEGE. But he was far from a QB in the NFL. He was only used in a hand full of plays in a wildcat situation. He NEVER developed his passing game. Not in college, not in the NFL, not in Canada. Yes, he passed for 6000 yds but most of that was YAC from the bubble screen. His downfield touch was lacking. That's why he never made it in the NFL. And one year as a coach at Alcorn doesn't make him a P5 QB coach. Great player, not a coach. Recruiter? Show me where he's been able to recruit.

You should be smarter than that. But as BloomDaddy says, your smarts are just enough to let you know you shouldn't poop yourself.

For those that don't think Pat would make a great QB coach because he wasn't much of a "passer", go and look at the other QB coaches in the sport that didn't even play Division I football and became very successful coaches.

Pat would be a great hire and something that may be needing to rejuvenate the fanbase some.

Reactions: pressvirginia
Love Pat White but just because someone is a great player doesn't mean he'll be a good coach. As I understand it, he's going on 33 and this past year was his 1st year in coaching (and not because he's been busy playing into his 30s).

Neal's the boss and I'll let him pick and if he picks Pat then great, I'll support it, but I betcha he won't pick Pat.

If Pat does move up to a major program I bet it won't be until after more years at smaller programs, learning and proving himself.

Love Pat. Arguably the most impactful player in WVU history. Great, Great college player. But he was, for 95% of his career, a terrible passer.

I've watched virtually every game of the Pat White era multiple times just in the past 2 years, and while we won at least 10 games every year in part because of his incredible open field running and impeccable vision (seriously. he has some of the best open field vision I've ever seen. RB or QB. He was a special runner) his below average to bad passing ability kept WVU from going undefeated. Regularly overthrew or underthrew wide open receivers. And not on difficult passes. His passing is often cringeworthy. I can't fathom how unstoppable those teams would have been if Pat had even average accuracy.

Saying that, it has literally nothing to do with his ability to coach QB's. You don't need to be a good QB to coach QB's. You don't even need to be a QB.

I don't know where this rumor came from. I don't know if it's true. I doubt it, but I don't have a membership so I maybe it's out there. But he could very well be a good QB coach. And it would be super cool if he came back and joined this staff.

ADVERTISEMENT