ADVERTISEMENT

WVU Release Bob Bowlsby stepping down

Keenan Cummings

Fact Based and Wonderful
Staff
Sep 16, 2007
Big 12 Conference Commissioner Bob Bowlsby announced today that he will step away from the Commissioner’s chair later this year after a decade of leading the league and securing its long-term future as one of the five major collegiate athletics conferences. Bowlsby, a steady, influential voice for intercollegiate athletics, will remain Commissioner of the Big 12 until the appointment of a new Commissioner and will then, at the request of the Conference, transition to a new interim role with the Conference, subject to the mutual agreement of Bowlsby and the new Commissioner.

“After more than 40 years of serving in leadership roles in intercollegiate athletics, including the last 10 with the Big 12, and given the major issues that college sports in general and the Big 12 specifically will address in the next several years, I have reached a natural transition point in my tenure as Commissioner, as well as in my career,” said Bowlsby.

“The Big 12 will soon bring in our four new members and negotiate a new grant of rights and media rights agreements. I truly believe the Big 12 and our member institutions are in a strong position now and as we look into the future. As such, this is an appropriate time for me to step away from the Commissioner’s role so that the next leader of the Conference can take the reins on these significant matters that will come to the forefront before the end of the term of my employment agreement in 2025 to set the stage for the Big 12’s future ongoing success.”

Bowlsby was appointed Commissioner in 2012, and under his watch, the Big 12 has seen tremendous growth in its national brand, television exposure, distributable revenue for its member institutions, and competitive success. Most recently, he guided the Big 12’s addition of four future members, with BYU, Central Florida, Cincinnati, and Houston agreeing to join the Conference no later than the 2024-25 academic year.

Over his tenure, the Big 12 has won 25 NCAA team national championships, including last night’s men’s basketball title game victory by the University of Kansas. In 2020-21 the Big 12 captured 5 NCAA team national championships, including a Baylor University men’s basketball title. Also, for four consecutive years, the Big 12 has placed men’s basketball teams in the Final Four. In football, the Big 12 has placed teams in the College Football Playoff New Year’s Bowls throughout its seven-year history. The Big 12 is the home of two of the last five Heisman Trophy winners and was the only Conference to place a team in the Final Four and CFP semi-finals in 2017-18 and 2018-19.

“On behalf of the Big 12 Conference, I want to extend my sincere appreciation to Commissioner Bowlsby for his outstanding leadership over the last decade,” said Chair of the Big 12 Board and President of Texas Tech University, Lawrence Schovanec. “Bob has consistently driven distributable revenue growth for the Conference’s member institutions, has stood strong during turbulent times in the world of collegiate sports, has led innovation within collegiate athletics, and has worked tirelessly to ensure the stability and future of the Big 12 Conference. Bob’s leadership contributed to the opportunities afforded to our students and their success beyond their athletic experiences. The Conference will continue to excel, and we are confident of an even brighter future. I appreciate that during this transition, Bob will continue to be a trusted resource for the Conference in whatever appropriate role on which he and the new Commissioner mutually agree.”

The Conference is interviewing and engaging an executive search consulting firm to assist it in an extensive national search process for the new Commissioner, which will begin in the next few weeks.

As one of the first achievements during his tenure with the Conference, Bowlsby finalized a 12- year comprehensive media rights agreement with ESPN and FOX Sports, one of the most lucrative television deals in college athletics. Subsequently, he oversaw the expansion of the ESPN relationship with the 2019 debut of the Big 12 Now digital distribution platform on ESPN+, on which hundreds of additional Big 12 sporting events and original programming are distributed annually on a worldwide basis. Bowlsby played a key role in the formation of the College Football Playoff that began in 2014-15, the first postseason playoff in the history of Collegiate Football. Additionally, under his leadership, the Big 12 Football Championship Game was reinstated beginning in 2017.

In 2014-15, the Big 12 introduced “State of Collegiate Athletics” forums to examine some of the pressing issues that college athletics is facing. Seven events were conducted in cities across the nation, with panelists of respected experts addressing topics such as “Race and College Athletics,” “ESports on Campus,” and “Where Do We Go From Here: The Future of College Sports.” The award-winning Big 12 Champions for Life program, another initiative of the Conference that is now in its seventh year, has featured more than 400 students and alumni from its members’ sports programs in a series of public service announcements highlighting the positive impact of athletics scholarship on their stories of personal growth and success.

On the national stage, he served as a member of the United States Olympic Committee from 2007 to 2014, is a member of the NCAA Presidential Task Force on Federal and State Legislative Issues, and has testified in Congressional hearings on numerous matters relating to collegiate sports. He has served on the NCAA Men’s Basketball Committee, including serving as Chairman for the 2004 tournament in San Antonio and the 2005 tournament in St. Louis. He was appointed to the inaugural NCAA Division 1 Council in 2015 and served as chair of the Football Oversight Committee, which oversees all aspects of collegiate football and reports directly to the NCAA Division 1 Council. He also has served in leadership positions on numerous other NCAA committees and task forces.

Prior to his role at the Big 12, Bowlsby spent six years as the Athletics Director at Stanford University, preceded by a 15-year stint as the AD at the University of Iowa and seven years in that role at the University of Northern Iowa.

The National Association of Collegiate Directors of Athletics named Bowlsby as a regional AD of the year in 2001-02. The Sports Business Journal then selected him from the four regional award winners as its National Athletics Director of the Year, which celebrates the commitment and positive contributions to campuses and their surrounding communities made by the recipients of this prestigious award.

“I have been honored to serve the Big 12 Conference membership, and I am tremendously proud of the incredible professionals in the Conference office and in the extraordinary coaches and athletics departments of our member institutions with whom I have worked to serve the student-athletes who participate in our member’s sports programs,” said Bowlsby. “When my transition is complete, I will miss the daily interaction with these wonderful colleagues and with the student-athletes but will welcome the opportunity to spend more time with my wife, my children, and my ten grandchildren. I have consistently sought to align my professional actions with the best principles of higher education and intercollegiate athletics. Now, I look forward to the next chapters of my personal and professional activities and, as I do so, I am very confident in a vibrant, highly competitive, and prosperous future for the Big 12 Conference.”

Please address press inquiries of the Big 12 to Lawrence Schovanec, Board Chair at lawrence.schovanec@ttu.edu or (806) 742-2136.

He quit about 10 years too late.

Oklahoma and Texas will now leave at the end of 2022. ESPN will then renegotiate current contract. Because it's not of the same quality it first signed up for and Big 12 pay will be cut in half. Thus the Big AAC 12 will begin.

Reactions: OlegeezEER
Bowlsby was going to retire in 2025. What this signifies is the existing and new members leadership do not have confidence in Bowlsby to negotiate their next set of media rights contracts which will happen in about a year. They need someone to take a new approach to leading the conference and building on the success of the conference.

New members don't have a say in what is happening now.

More than likely it says New Big 12 sucks and I'm out of here.

Here’s the scoop. BIG 12 board wanted him out before media rights:

STILLWATER – The Big 12 Conference Board of Directors, headed by chairperson and Texas Tech University President Lawrence Schovanec, made the decision to seperate from Big 12 Conference Commissioner Bob Bowlsby. The board cited failure to perform as the primary reason for the change which will take place over a three-month (90-days) period. Pokes Report has also learned that the Board of Directors also felt the need to have somebody better versed in television contract negotiations and even more astute on dealing with the television networks and other potential multimedia partners. The move was actually made last week but the parties waited to make the announcement on April 5.

The release from the Big 12 Conference laid out a mutual decision between the parites, but this was initiated by the Board. The terms will be favorable and will accommodate Bowlsby as he has been an effective leader during most of his time as commissioner.

Here is the take from CBS Sports:

A short list of candidates has emerged. Among the names: Former West Virginia athletic director Oliver Luck, Pac-12 associate commissioner Jamie Zaninovich, Texas Tech AD Kirby Hocutt, Washington State president Kirk Schulz and Baylor president Linda Livingstone.

Doubtful Oliver Luck would be selected unless he makes significant, personal
changes.

Oliver is good "in name" supposedly,
but my gut feeling Oliver is not qualified,
per say.

But Oliver has baggage, baggage which would be difficult to overcome.

Nuff said.

Guess we'll see.

Reactions: Rootmaster
Doubtful Oliver Luck would be selected unless he makes significant, personal
changes.

Oliver is good "in name" supposedly,
but my gut feeling Oliver is not qualified,
per say.

But Oliver has baggage, baggage which would be difficult to overcome.

Nuff said.

Guess we'll see.
Would like Kirby Hocutt.
He played football for us.
Great to see one of our own be the new commish.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: SeronimusPratt
Bowlsby is quitting because he knows the Big 12 will look like the American conference a decade from now with a couple of unlucky Big 12 members who didn't find a new home.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
He’s leaving due to the negative posts on this site and by the look of things, Oliver Luck stands no chance for the same reason.

Look for either of these two because they're both Texas and teams are current members.

Texas Tech AD Kirby Hocutt and Baylor president Linda Livingstone.

Good God I would hope not!
Why? He is the guy that everyone runs to for consulting. He jumped in on the expansion we got what was best (or leftover) out there and his group essentially has Texas and Oklahoma help financing there replacement one way or the other.

If there is a person that would work with the “Alliance” to position the conferences against the SEC or even reaching out to SEC with some sort of agreement between B12/SEC, it’s Luck.

Don’t be butt hurt because he set up a HCIW deal and the incumbent went rogue to a below avg reporter that relies on his sugar mama creating a debacle.

Luck is well respected around the country and world really in athletic management circles. He has been brought in to develop pro leagues. He has been integral in college conference realignments. He has extensive knowledge of media rights negotiations as well as lots of NCAA experience.

Being that he played for and attended WVU and was the AD that saved WVU from a UConn type fate previously as well as delivering the second winningest coach in WVU history, WVU fans would welcome that addition.

Luck is well respected around the country and world really in athletic management circles. He has been brought in to develop pro leagues. He has been integral in college conference realignments. He has extensive knowledge of media rights negotiations as well as lots of NCAA experience.

Being that he played for and attended WVU and was the AD that saved WVU from a UConn type fate previously as well as delivering the second winningest coach in WVU history, WVU fans would welcome that addition.
Which pro league he consulted still exists today?

Which pro league he consulted still exists today?
Here is some info on his pro accomplishments:

In 1991, he became general manager of the Frankfurt Galaxy of the fledgling World League of American Football. He held the post for two years until the league was suspended. Upon its resumption in 1995, he became general manager of the Rhein Fire, and was named league president the following year. Luck held that role until 2000, during which time he oversaw the league's rebranding as NFL Europe, intended to strengthen the connection between the league and its parent, the NFL.

In 2001 Luck was sworn in as Chief Executive Officer of the Houston Sports Authority. In this role he oversaw the operations of the Harris County Houston Sports Authority, the governmental entity created in 1997 to provide the financing, construction and management oversight of the three large sports and entertainment venues in Houston: Minute Maid Park (home of the Houston Astros), Reliant Stadium, (home of the Houston Texans and the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo), and the new Downtown multi-purpose arena (home of the Houston Rockets and Comets).[citation needed]

Prior to joining the Sports Authority, Luck was a top-ranking executive with the National Football League for more than ten years, where he served as Vice President of Business Development and President and CEO of NFL Europe. In 2005, he was named president of the Houston Dynamo of Major League Soccer. Luck worked with the City and County to create a publicly funded downtown soccer stadium, BBVA Compass Stadium, which opened to much fanfare in March 2012.[10] all of this from Wikipedia.

NFL Europe lasted 12 years btw, pretty long time for an experimental upstart. The XFL was destroyed by the COVID outbreak, not something Luck did or didn’t do.

For at least one mouthy resident troll that never gets any of his fables here correct:

Texas Tech President Lawrence Schovanec, who is the president of the Big 12 board of directors, told the Dallas Morning News that the incoming members of BYU, Cincinnati, Houston and UCF would have a voice in choosing the next commissioner.

• Haha
Reactions: xWVU2010x
Hold the phone.

I though you said that Dana Holgersen was the one who got us in the Big 12 saving us from UConn’s type fate with winning the Conference and whipping Clemson?

You need to stick to your teleprompter Joe and stay on point.

Hold the phone.

I though you said that Dana Holgersen was the one who got us in the Big 12 saving us from UConn’s type fate with winning the Conference and whipping Clemson?

Hold the phone. Once again you’ve completely mischaracterized what was said in your desperation to derail yet another thread And make it about you or your lunatic politics. You truly are insane.

Hold the phone. Once again you’ve completely mischaracterized what was said in your desperation to derail yet another thread And make it about you or your lunatic politics. You truly are insane.
Oh no. You have been called out for your Holgersen claims and the best you have is name calling. Nice (if this was recess on the playground).

For at least one mouthy resident troll that never gets any of his fables here correct:

Texas Tech President Lawrence Schovanec, who is the president of the Big 12 board of directors, told the Dallas Morning News that the incoming members of BYU, Cincinnati, Houston and UCF would have a voice in choosing the next commissioner.

Shows you how desperate the Big 12 really is. This has such a Big East feel to it now. Wonder how all that turned out?

Hold the phone.

That's the problem with Liars. They tell so many they forget what they originally said. Bucky is spin doctor liar of the year.

For the resident liar that thinks he is an insider....

Baylor Athletic Director Mack Rhoades, who just signed a 10-year contract extension one day before Bowlsby’s announcement, believes the focus should center on the eight remaining institutions.

Baylor AD weighed in on potential input from new Big 12 members in the commissioner search

“I think that the process is to be determined. You know, I know that the press release talks about getting a search firm involved. But I think that process is still probably fluid,” said Rhoades to SicEm365 Radio on Tuesday.

Rhoades continued, “I think there will be a space for the new schools –again, one person’s opinion– there will be a space for the new schools to certainly be updated and to have influence. But I would think that certainly the eight remaining are going to be the primary drivers. It could even be a smaller group of the eight potentially when you think of the Presidents. Again, one person’s opinion, but that’s probably the way I would frame it up.”

As we’ve seen with other conference expansion moves in the past, teams that move from Group of Five leagues to the power ranks don’t always get a full share or vote from the beginning. It’s no different for Independent BYU. When they join the Big 12 in 2023, the Cougars will receive 50% of the revenue share in the first two years. Then in 2025, with the new TV contract, they’ll get a full share.

Here is some info on his pro accomplishments:

In 1991, he became general manager of the Frankfurt Galaxy of the fledgling World League of American Football. He held the post for two years until the league was suspended. Upon its resumption in 1995, he became general manager of the Rhein Fire, and was named league president the following year. Luck held that role until 2000, during which time he oversaw the league's rebranding as NFL Europe, intended to strengthen the connection between the league and its parent, the NFL.

In 2001 Luck was sworn in as Chief Executive Officer of the Houston Sports Authority. In this role he oversaw the operations of the Harris County Houston Sports Authority, the governmental entity created in 1997 to provide the financing, construction and management oversight of the three large sports and entertainment venues in Houston: Minute Maid Park (home of the Houston Astros), Reliant Stadium, (home of the Houston Texans and the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo), and the new Downtown multi-purpose arena (home of the Houston Rockets and Comets).[citation needed]

Prior to joining the Sports Authority, Luck was a top-ranking executive with the National Football League for more than ten years, where he served as Vice President of Business Development and President and CEO of NFL Europe. In 2005, he was named president of the Houston Dynamo of Major League Soccer. Luck worked with the City and County to create a publicly funded downtown soccer stadium, BBVA Compass Stadium, which opened to much fanfare in March 2012.[10] all of this from Wikipedia.

NFL Europe lasted 12 years btw, pretty long time for an experimental upstart. The XFL was destroyed by the COVID outbreak, not something Luck did or didn’t do.
Thanks Wikibucky

Reactions: Euell
Believe the myth. Guy has destroyed everything he has touched.
Man you and your cronies are miserable and full of hate. Pretty sure he was in upper management of the NFL for 10 years. The NFL sure seems to be doing ok . What are you, a paid shill for the Bill Stewart smear campaign? Grow up. Trolls like you with 0 accomplishments in life should really scale back on insulting anyone else.

Last edited:
Anyone who hates on Luck is a moron. Did he get us into the ACC? No, which pisses off some of the babies on here.

That being said, if the SEC takes Clemson and either Miami or FSU, that "new" ACC would be so much worse than this new B12 there aren't words to describe that drop off.

The ACC is one Friday afternoon SEC memo from becoming the Sun Belt Conference.

Anyone who hates on Luck is a moron. Did he get us into the ACC? No, which pisses off some of the babies on here.

That being said, if the SEC takes Clemson and either Miami or FSU, that "new" ACC would be so much worse than this new B12 there aren't words to describe that drop off.

The ACC is one Friday afternoon SEC memo from becoming the Sun Belt Conference.
No one is talking about the ACC suckup.

ADVERTISEMENT