ADVERTISEMENT

Big XII storylines for each team going into 2018

TheMasterVader

Freshman
Dec 30, 2017
Iowa State-Losing a lot of seniors but it looks like Montgomery returns. Can they replace the senior leadership and have consecutive winning seasons.

West Virginia-Can they prove once and for all they can compete at a high level in the Big XII. Grier is back and so is David Long. They still have not shown the toughness on either the defense and offensive lines to compete in this conference

Kansas-A lot of talent coming in to go with what they have. Kansas could be a surprise next year.
Not counting out David Beatty but if Baylor struggles again and Texas Tech falls KU can win those and one another to gain bowl eligibility.

Kansas State-May start in Top 25 again. Could be Bill Synder's last year and with how they finished K State could be the dark horse for the Big XII Championship game appearance. Top 4 finish is almost a lock. Very much like Texas as a 2-4 win improvement is projected.

Oklahoma State- Don't know who will start next year but if it is Sanders from Denton I would expect Gundy to rely on the run and defense.
Will be a much better team at the end of 2018 than at the beginning. I think they still win 7 maybe 8 games next year.

Oklahoma-Anoher Aggy transfer will lead a Big XII team but this time in Norman. Murray most likely will be the starter and if he is anything like his daddy OU could win another Big XII title. They will miss a lot of senior leadership next year.
As Mayfield is not the only one leaving. I wouldn't count out Riley and the Sooners as they reload every year. Expect 9-11 wins.

Texas Tech-Dark days could be upon Lubbock. I wouldn't totally count out Kliff Kingsbury but with the way BU and Kansas have recruited Tech may have the bottom moving up on them with Tech going backwards instead of forward.
Better chance they do not play in a bowl than in one.

Baylor- Played a lot of young players and played a lot of close games in the conference. I am thinking a 4-6 win improvement could happen.
If they finish recruiting strong than Baylor in 2019 could be back challenging for a Big XII Championship. In 18 I am thinking 6-7 wins highly likely.

TCU-Looks like it is time for Justin Rogers. Still a lot of talent on the roster but I don't see TCU challenging for the conference championship again. They are in a dogfight with four other schools for the fifth position. TCU is showing signs that these valleys and peaks might move from 6-7 and 9-11 to 9-10 and 11-13 if Texas and Aggy continue to struggle. Big games next year against Baylor and UT.

Texas-With the way they are recruiting I am expecting a 2-4 improvement. Ehlinger looks like he will be the starter and if they shore up the OL and can replace the NFL bound starters on defense without problems a Big XII Championship game could be likely.

Teams with a good chance to play in Arlington
Oklahoma
Texas
West Virginia
Kansas St

Teams who may be looking for a new coach after next season
Kansas St
Texas Tech
Kansas
Baylor
West Virginia

Teams on their way up
Texas
Iowa St
Baylor

Teams on their way down
Texas Tech

Who wrote this?
I'd say this is click bait but there's no link.
This is a lot of supposition and speculatuon.

To me

Same old same for ISU 7-5 or 8-4
KSU - not looking for big things just middle of the road.
Oklahoma State - never meets expectations
Kansas will improve- From 10th to 9th
WVU an unknown element for now. (seems on surface like a tough OOC schedule)
Oklahoma another Big 12 title
Texas makes a run at OU
TCU probably a 5-4 or 6-3 team in conference
Tech - will be in a battle with Baylor on who finishes 8th or 9th.

Teams who may be looking for a new coach after next season
Kansas St (due to retirement)
Texas Tech (due to failure as HC)
Kansas

Teams on their way up
Texas (good coach for now)

Teams on their way down
Texas Tech - see Kliff

I think Bill Snyder retiring will be a huge story next year and Kansas St responds.
Problem is if K State has issues early again cause they have a huge late September matchup against Texas in Manhattan

Kansas St has to play at West Virginia and then return home to host Texas the following week.

The Kansas St game for Texas is the third game of four against quality opponents as they have home games against SC and TCU and then Red River.'

Sept 2018 is going to be a great month for college football this year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT