ADVERTISEMENT

Big 12 to interview 17 schools about expansion

It seems like their way of not saying when, but they truly may not know. I guess it starts with making sure all of the presidents have gone over available information, then picking perhaps 10 or 12 schools they absolutely would not vote for.

That makes the numbers much more manageable and could be accomplished in a day. Wouldn't you get the list down to about the top six before you even begin debate?

After the backroom dealings and political arm twisting is finished, then it should simply be, "Gentlemen, do you vote in the affirmative to invite the following school to join the Big 12?"

As at least eight positive votes are required, at that point it may either become four, two, or none very quickly. It only becomes complicated and time consuming if the results are three or one, does it not?

That is simply my understanding of the actual process and how it may transpire. Any inside info on procedure?

Bingo! The Big-12 is trying to play Fox against ESPN. Fox seems willing to pay them to expand, and they're now trying to see how much the boys in Bristol will give them not expand.

I've got no problem with them squeezing the TV network that caused most of this crap with their greed, ie; ESPN to see what they'll pay to stop expansion.

There is a cap. If the number gets up to the pro rata payout, then there's no point in foregoing expansion.

Excuses Excuses perhaps you would Ike to elaborate on what injuries TCU and Oklahoma had when they played Boise? Boise state just debunked your fraud theory just can't admit you got owned.

Nope. Injuries. You want me to link something from years ago?

Blow a dog, fool.

The BIG 12 has completed initial interviews with all candidates.

The decision(s) are expected to be made by the board of director's meeting Oct 19th.

The decision(s) are expected to be made by the board of director's meeting Oct 19th.
What a stupid process. Everyone knows there was only 5-6 programs with a legit chance of joining the BIG12. Why waste everyone's time, unless they were sending a message to ESPN and FOX.

To be fair, it really is not your call. My guess is they will not solicit yours or anyone's advice from this board. They know more than we do.
Should be 100% to stay at 10. None of those teams add enough value to keep everyone's shares the same in revenue.

Whichever teams are chosen will have 7 - 8 years to show their value. Starting out ranked #15 likely carries some weight. Each school actually being considered tips the scales in their favor by criteria established by the Big 12.

On field performance is only one factor for goodness sakes. Academics, investment, reputation as a school, enrollment, population base, marketability, market area, cost of doing business with, recruiting area etc make up the biggest areas for the decision makers...Presidents not coaches, ADs or fans (with the exception of big time money contributors lol) make the decision. Lot of boxes to check. Remember Maryland and Rutgers to the B1g.

Reactions: michaelwalkerbr
On field performance is only one factor for goodness sakes. Academics, investment, reputation as a school, enrollment, population base, marketability, market area, cost of doing business with, recruiting area etc make up the biggest areas for the decision makers...Presidents not coaches, ADs or fans (with the exception of big time money contributors lol) make the decision. Lot of boxes to check. Remember Maryland and Rutgers to the B1g.

Well stated. (Don't forget the politicians!)

If it is Houston and BYU...there are two ways to look at that. Yes, WVU will continue to have issues with travel and costs for minor sports, and yes WVU will have issues with lack of rivalry games. However, being able to recruit the Big 12-2=10 from East of the Mississippi isn't so bad...Ohio, Pa and Florida stay in WVU's orbit. My sources still say Houston and Cincinnati likely, but if it does end up BYU and Houston then so be it. Some sunshine in those stormy clouds you know.

I think the timing of an announcement is being publicly pushed down the calendar to give Big 12 officials some breathing room. It could realistically come anytime. Those involved must be sick of being asked, "OK, off the record, who's in?"

If Houston is one of the teams chosen, Oklahoma surely wants it announced before Saturday. The Sooners are 10 point favorites but consider the last game each team played. Oklahoma lost to Clemson by 20 and Houston beat FSU by 14. If UH would happen to win at home, it would take away a little of the sting for Oklahoma at least perception wise.

I would think WVU would feel the same way about their Sept. 24th match up with BYU. If your going to bring the Mormon Cougars in, do it by the 23rd please. Just a thought.

I always figured there was a real good chance that WVU would be left on the island. At least we wouldn't have to compete with Cincy for all the kids that can't go to tOSU. I wonder if they will announce how they plan to do divisions at the same time?

Interesting article

One thing to look for is will Texas and Oklahoma agree to an extension of the GOR and TV Contract extension until 2030 or 2032 for the Big 12 to add 2 teams.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

I always figured there was a real good chance that WVU would be left on the island. At least we wouldn't have to compete with Cincy for all the kids that can't go to tOSU. I wonder if they will announce how they plan to do divisions at the same time?

I would imagine divisions would be announced at the same time. I didn't mention Cincy only because they play no current B12 members this year. But depending on whose chosen it could add some luster and interest to their games against Houston and/or BYU.

Interesting article

One thing to look for is will Texas and Oklahoma agree to an extension of the GOR and TV Contract extension until 2030 or 2032 for the Big 12 to add 2 teams.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

If they don't, then this conference is toast.

Interesting article

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

I cannot imagine any of the B12 teams agreeing to an extension of either one. Why simply give away a major bargaining chip for when renewal comes up? If two are added, what if even one of them comes on like TCU over the next nine years?

Do you really think ESPN being pissed off now is going to matter in 2025? I think the success of the B12 is all that will matter in future negotiations.

Interesting article

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

I heard the Pitt-Penn St game time got moved due to a pirates game..............What a shame. Pitt football takes a back seat to a MLB team that is really just a small market farm team for the real MLB teams.

The major news, however, was that Pitt and Penn State would kick off at noon on September 10th.

If you follow the Pirates' schedule, you'd know that a noon game was highly likely here. The Bucs have a night home game on that day and that really limited Pitt's options. Even a 3:30 p.m. kickoff seemed unlikely since it would allow for people to clear out of lots in time for the Pirates game and would make that entire area even more congested with Pitt fans leaving around the time Pirates fans would be arriving.

ummmmm how does wvu get screwed?

We are making money hand over fist and we will be making even more money hand over fist. I like that we can continue to recruit Cincinnati and the bearcats can flounder in the AAC or wherever.

Did you even read the article? I would suggest you try that first.

Reactions: Rootmaster
Did you even read the article? I would suggest you try that first.

To call this an "article" is a bit misleading. It implies its a "NEWS article" when what it really is is a work of fiction posted in a BLOG.

The author crafted total fiction from a few reports out there, lots of message board blather and other posts which like this one are based on opinion and unsourced material.

According to link below candidates cut to fewer than 10 teams. No Mountain West teams included.

List includes American schools in Cincinnati, Houston, Connecticut, Memphis, Central Florida, South Florida plus a pair of unnamed AAC schools and then BYU.

http://www.mwcconnection.com/2016/8/30/12720330/big-12-trims-candidate-list

According to link below candidates cut to fewer than 10 teams. No Mountain West teams included.

List includes American schools in Cincinnati, Houston, Connecticut, Memphis, Central Florida, South Florida plus a pair of unnamed AAC schools and then BYU.

http://www.mwcconnection.com/2016/8/30/12720330/big-12-trims-candidate-list

I see two major problems with that 'article' regardless of the substance. The writer bases his story on the premise of a pared down list being sent out to the schools under consideration. You have to follow a link to a pay site to access the mystery list.

And people call Big 12 expansion a money grab! I suppose this guy is merely an entrepreneurial opportunist

I heard the Pitt-Penn St game time got moved due to a pirates game..............What a shame. Pitt football takes a back seat to a MLB team that is really just a small market farm team for the real MLB teams.

The major news, however, was that Pitt and Penn State would kick off at noon on September 10th.

If you follow the Pirates' schedule, you'd know that a noon game was highly likely here. The Bucs have a night home game on that day and that really limited Pitt's options. Even a 3:30 p.m. kickoff seemed unlikely since it would allow for people to clear out of lots in time for the Pirates game and would make that entire area even more congested with Pitt fans leaving around the time Pirates fans would be arriving.

LOL!!!!

CBS Sports came out Ranking the Top 15 Big Ten games to be played this year.
The Pitt-Penn State game was ranked as the #8 most exciting game to be played in the Big Ten.:smiley:

Expecting 70,000 for the game since they are only selling standing room tickets.
If you want to buy one, check out stub hub for availability and pricing.
If you can't attend, be sure to watch because it will be a highly Nielsen Rated TV Game.

Since the Pirates are basically out of contention, the Bucs may get a crowd of about 18,000 fans.

I suspect when Pitt-WVU begin play (2 game series) it will also be a highly rated TV Game.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

LOL!!!!

CBS Sports came out Ranking the Top 15 Big Ten games to be played this year.
The Pitt-Penn State game was ranked as the #8 most exciting game to be played in the Big Ten.:smiley:

Expecting 70,000 for the game since they are only selling standing room tickets.
If you want to buy one, check out stub hub for availability and pricing.
If you can't attend, be sure to watch because it will be a highly Nielsen Rated TV Game.

Since the Pirates are basically out of contention, the Bucs may get a crowd of about 18,000 fans.

I suspect when Pitt-WVU begin play (2 game series) it will also be a highly rated TV Game.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Nice to see Penn St fans fill up Heinz field like WVU fans do when we play Pitt there. Its like getting another home game added to our schedule.

Nice to see Penn St fans fill up Heinz field like WVU fans do when we play Pitt there. Its like getting another home game added to our schedule.

Actually, Penn State has not been selling out Beaver Stadium for most home games(95,000).

When Pitt plays Penn State next year Penn State stadium will be a sell out with standing room only tickets.

I see WVU had a listed home attendance ( reported in Phil Steele Mag) of 54,826 fans.

When Pitt plays at WVU again, you will also have a sell out.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Panther has a point unfortunately. lol

You know, this tells me you are a douche bag troll. Attendance is down in all of college football, and no I'm not taking the time to link shit in here. But for you to side with a spitt poster when we are actually talking about attendance shows you are not really a WVU fan and probably a spitt troll to begin with.

They never get more than 30 thousand fans in heinz unless they are playing Notre Dame or WVU.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT