ADVERTISEMENT

RIVALS Big 12 Spotlight: Grading the 2023 class

Grade: B-

Impossible, Buckaineer claims WVU can't recruit.

B-

I still support WVU.
LET'S GO MOUNTAINEERS.

I don't cheer for Brown.

Those are not mutually exclusive positions. If you know poker, it's like having a 7/2 off suit when you are the big blind in Texas Hold Em. You hope for a miracle, but you know the odds are against you and you'd have folded if you were not already committed.

I support WVU.
LET'S GO MOUNTAINEERS.

I don't cheer for Brown.

I support WVU.
LET'S GO MOUNTAINEERS.

I don't cheer for Brown.

I am not claiming you are cheering for Brown. Does this recruiting ranking make you feel any better about WVU's odds of winning more than 5 games next year? Because from where I stand I say no. I hope I'm wrong, but Neal's track record makes me think he could snatch any defeat from the jaws of victory. So this relatively modest recruiting ranking, in comparison to our Big 12 competition, pales in comparison to Neal's propensity to squander talent.

We will not win more than 6 and might only win 2.

But I cheer for WVU and damn proud of it.

We will not win more than 6 and might only win 2.

But I cheer for WVU and damn proud of it.

That latter statement has nothing to do with whether or not you can take solace in an only mildly positive recruiting ranking. I cheer for WVU as well and I am not at all saying that is a bad thing. Nor am I saying anything positive about the taint abscess that is Buckaineer. I just disagree with you that this recruiting class is really that much of a positive for WVU. You can point to the B-, but you can't ignore that the same source has WVU as 7th out of 10 when it comes to our conference competition.

That latter statement has nothing to do with whether or not you can take solace in an only mildly positive recruiting ranking. I cheer for WVU as well and I am not at all saying that is a bad thing. Nor am I saying anything positive about the taint abscess that is Buckaineer. I just disagree with you that this recruiting class is really that much of a positive for WVU. You can point to the B-, but you can't ignore that the same source has WVU as 7th out of 10 when it comes to our conference competition.
Stars, ratings and grades mean nothing. If you can't coach you can't coach.

Stars, ratings and grades mean nothing. If you can't coach you can't coach.

And you are right here as well. Even an upper half of the conference recruiting class is marred by Neal's ineffective use of the talent he does get. I really hope Brown some how flips the switch to become an amazing coach even though that is highly unlikely. But if not that, I'd rather he just flame out next year than limp along doing just enough to keep people hoping for naught like Holgorsen did. It is not anti WVU to prefer a short period of more intense pain than a longer period of lesser pain to just end up in the same position at the end. I just think it's better to move on from either a bad coach or an average coach as soon as possible if the goal is to have a good coach capable of getting a championship once in a while.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
ADVERTISEMENT