ADVERTISEMENT

Big 12 Rival

Aug 12, 2004
After 4 years in the Big 12, has WVU established a rival with any particular school in the league? I know in basketball the Kansas game has become a huge game for both schools, with WVU faring very well! What about football?

After 4 years in the Big 12, has WVU established a rival with any particular school in the league? I know in basketball the Kansas game has become a huge game for both schools, with WVU faring very well! What about football?
Very one sided....WV fans love the Texas and OU games, but I'm not sure their fans feel the same way.

Reactions: Pitt4Life34
...I know that I, personally, hate TTech fans...they all assholes....which leads me to a serious dislike of said program....all of 'em...they all assholes...

Reactions: BobbyBoucheer
I think long term (if the B12 has a "long term" in it) I think Taco Tech will be it. Coaches off the same tree and

similar styles. Fan bases with a chip on their shoulders.

OK would be a great rival, but I'm pretty sure we need them to lose to us before we get their attention.

I hate losing to TCU most of all, followed closely by KSU, but there's no denying Snyder his due.

TCU and Baylor for me... ...but there's no actual rivals yet. However, our fan base considers PSU a traditional rival while theirs considers playing us just another OOC game.

Last edited:
Reactions: BobbyBoucheer

What's WVUs record against Kansas in hoops? As far as football.......you're dumb.

TCU and Baylor for me... ...but there's no actual rivals yet. However, our fan base considers PSU a traditional rival while there's considers playing us just another OOC game.

Penn State as WVUs rival? aaaaaahahahaha! Love how you speak for the entire fan base. When was the last time PSU actually played WVU? Their fan based mocks WVU.

We have no rivals in the Big XII & never will; we are a outlier, a curiosity to the other members. After conference realignment we have had ZERO rivals. VT, gone, Pitt, gone, PSU, long gone. Those were rivals.

Imo best rivals WVU has had are Maryland and those boys from VPI.

If I had to pick one in the Big XII It would be Baylor who WVU beat more than not and the year they won the league with TCU. Those games have been good and nasty and exciting. TCU is a very close 2nd but I'd still give the nod to Baylor.

I don't really follow basketball (except a little of the ncaa tournament) so got no opinion on The games vs Kansas.

I like the newness of the Big XII where all 9 conference opponents are culturally similar and just interesting match ups. I like that schedule much better than what we used to play. My tickets are a better bargain imo.

I will reiterate what others have said and that is we have no Big XII rivals and never will. Oklahoma and Texas are always going to be the big games on the football schedule, but we will never have a rivalry with either. If you look at Oklahoma, we would never jump Texas or Oklahoma State as rivals and the same could be said for Texas. We would never jump Oklahoma or any of the other Texas schools.

In my view, our best rival and longest rivalry was with Pitt.

Va. Tech became a fierce rival after Beamer started having success there but not a minute before.

Maryland is just Maryland. I never see much angst between the schools.

Penn State was our rival but we were nothing but a win to them.

Maybe Cuse, especially after the Marvin Graves incident. I mean you could always list old BE schools like BC and Rutgers, but were they really rivals?

In basketball only, we had a good thing with Temple and Chaney but those days are long gone.

Basically, to get back to the question, we have no conference rivals and we rarely play our long-standing East rivals.

It's one of the causalities of realignment and modern-day athletics.

Last edited:
Are you slow? He said in the post

"while there's considers playing us just another OOC game"

For the record...I corrected 'their' (previously 'there'). ....and he still wont understand even after you pointed out his misunderstanding.

Hah! You have never lived in the eastern panhandle or in the people's republic of MD. That game is bigger there than any game on the schedule. Maryland actually voted WVU as their top rival in a Washington Post study back when they were in the ACC. That game was a great series til that little weasel Randy Edsall said no more.

Hah! You have never lived in the eastern panhandle or in the people's republic of MD. That game is bigger there than any game on the schedule. Maryland actually voted WVU as their top rival in a Washington Post study back when they were in the ACC. That game was a great series til that little weasel Randy Edsall said no more.

I admit I have not lived in either place. Surprised to hear that they thought us as their top rival.

I have no problem with the game or the series...but I have always been hard-pressed to get excited that Maryland was on the schedule.

Historical rivalries include:

sPitt PSU Syracuse and VPI

Briefly Cincy and Louisville

Currently I like the edge on
Taco Tech KSU OSU and Baylor

Oklahoma and Texas don't see us as rivals but it's like playing annual bowl games.

We have no true rivalries left...sad. Of course, the only games anyone seems to care about anymore are with the "premier names". Then again seven win seasons have become the measuring stick for a successful football season...again sad. No wonder attendance is slipping in the NCAA,

Reactions: ColoradoMountaineer
The very fact that some people continue to come on here shouting eat sh$t Pitt even though we haven't played them in football or basketball in 5 years speaks volumes about the rivalaries we have created in the big 12.

Reactions: Rootmaster
Penn State as WVUs rival? aaaaaahahahaha! Love how you speak for the entire fan base. When was the last time PSU actually played WVU? Their fan based mocks WVU.

You do know that the way you think about WVU is the way most all of PSU fans think about Pitt. They truly believe you are beneath them and feel embarrassed that they are even playing you right? How do I know this? Wife is a PSU grad. Her and her friends say they would rather play WVU then Pitt, not that they dont look down their noses at WVU as well. Not my wife mind you, but her weirdo friends from her college years

I hate losing to TCU most of all, followed closely by KSU, but there's no denying Snyder his due.
Both those schools have legitimately top-echelon head coaches, which always makes a loss to them a little easier to take. No shame in dropping games to HOF-caliber coaches under most circumstances, that's why those guys are at the top.

Both those schools have legitimately top-echelon head coaches, which always makes a loss to them a little easier to take. No shame in dropping games to HOF-caliber coaches under most circumstances, that's why those guys are at the top.

I hate losing to K-State more than any other Big 12 team. Not really sure why.

No reason that you should lose to Kansas State? Here, let me help you: Bill Snyder >>>>>>>>>>Dana Holgorsen.

Did anyone ask a Suckeye fan their opinion. Now go to your smack room and shut your mouth.

The only "natural" Big 12 rivalry should have been TCU because it was a battle of newbies crashing the club. But WVU didn't match TCU's Big 12 record ... It takes time for rivalries. I agree that Oklahoma and Texas, which will be big for WVU fans (and draw well in Mountaineer Field) is a one-sided rivalry. Their fans put WVU far down the list of their hated opponents. It took 105 years for the Pitt rivalry. Not even double-digit in the Big 12 yet. We're there for the money, not the rivalries, and to stay halfway relevant in college football. Huggins would make WVU relevant in any conference.

Reactions: WVex-pat in GA
For those complaining...If WVU is playing a good schedule, does it really matter if we have a "rival"? Yes, it was great playing the Backyard Brawl. But, compared to the schedule in the Big Least which also contained UConn, USF, Rutgers, Cincy, Temple, I'd rather have the B12 Schedule with no "rival" but with Oklahoma, Texas, Okie State, TCU, Baylor, Kansas State, TTU. Those are good games against very good teams. I'd rather beat Oklahoma or Texas than just Pitt.

You do know that the way you think about WVU is the way most all of PSU fans think about Pitt. They truly believe you are beneath them and feel embarrassed that they are even playing you right? How do I know this? Wife is a PSU grad. Her and her friends say they would rather play WVU then Pitt, not that they dont look down their noses at WVU as well. Not my wife mind you, but her weirdo friends from her college years

I don't think that way about WVU. Some of you guys are literally worthless. I think WVU should be with Pitt in the ACC. Don't speak for me pal. You're right that the cultist at PSU look down on Pitt no doubt. But those same idiots look at PSU like they are Ohio State and Bama LOL. So that makes your wife......well.... forget it. LOL at beta boy quoting his wife. I bet you're a soccer dad and your wife screams and yells at a football game til she's horse. Dude I pray to God this new AD signs a lifetime deal to play WVU in all sports forever. I love Pitt! I love WVU! I love Ohio State. I mock PSU! So this is one Pitt and CMU guy that mocks PSU.

Are you slow? He said in the post

"while there's considers playing us just another OOC game"

Not slow. Wasn't responding to him. Was responding to her. Keep up.
She said "our fan base"
Pitt is like an epidemic on this site. I mean some on here start threads like "Eat shit Pitt".
Then five minutes later and 24 replies later 15 posters act like Pitt isn't WVUs biggest Rival.
Then argue that Texas or Baylor or who gives a crap are WVU rivals LOL.
Pitt always has been WVUs biggest rival. WVU and Penn State have always been Pitt's biggest rival.

Last edited:
I will reiterate what others have said and that is we have no Big XII rivals and never will. Oklahoma and Texas are always going to be the big games on the football schedule, but we will never have a rivalry with either. If you look at Oklahoma, we would never jump Texas or Oklahoma State as rivals and the same could be said for Texas. We would never jump Oklahoma or any of the other Texas schools.

In my view, our best rival and longest rivalry was with Pitt.

Va. Tech became a fierce rival after Beamer started having success there but not a minute before.

Penn State was our rival but we were nothing but a win to them.

Maybe Cuse, especially after the Marvin Graves incident. I mean you could always list old BE schools like BC and Rutgers, but were they really rivals?

In basketball only, we had a good thing with Temple and Chaney but those days are long gone.

Basically, to get back to the question, we have no conference rivals and we rarely play our long-standing East rivals.

It's one of the causalities of realignment and modern-day athletics.

Good post man!!!

Agree. Maryland game is huge and their fans hate and respect us at the same time. Classic boarder rival game that has huge momentum implications on both sides. Where has this guy been?

Last edited:

I would say either KSU or TCU will grow into closest thing we have to a rival in conference. "Problem" is their fan bases don't talk as much as our traditional foes. They keep to their own. I don't think our board has been raided once since we joined. If we emerge and start knocking off OU I could totally see that becoming a bitter unofficial rivalry like we are starting to quietly build with KU in basketball. Those two respective fanbases like to talk.
Is what it is and as long as we keep scheduling the locals in OOC like we get for the next decade then we have a nice partial cure.

Last edited:
We know that, it was the very point being made.
When you use the word we who are you referring to? Most logical people would know that Bill Snyder is a better coach than the fluffer. Most logical people wouldn't continue to worry each season whether another school is going to come in and hire a guy away who hasn't beaten a ranked team in almost 3 years. Most logical people wouldn't worry about their coach getting hired away when the only bowl game he has won with a team he recruited was against a 6-6 pac 12 team. Most logical people wouldn't be demanding that a coach who has mostly produced 7-5 seasons should be compensated with the likes of Saban and Meyer. With that said Fluffer holgorsens disciples are not known to apply much logic.

ADVERTISEMENT