ADVERTISEMENT

Big 12 Predictions This Weekend

TheRedSon

All-American
Oct 13, 2008
Kansas State -6.5 @ Iowa State (Kansas State)
Texas +3.5 vs Oklahoma (Oklahoma)
Oklahoma State -27.5 @ Kansas (Oklahoma State, Kansas beats spread though)
West Virginia -4.0 @ Texas Tech (West Virginia)
TCU +7.0 @ Baylor (Baylor)

I think K-State @ Iowa State and OSU @ Kansas are the hardest to pick against the spread. ISU isn't as good a team as K-State, but their defense matches up well against them. That game was surprisingly close last year and I think it will be again this year. With OSU-Kansas that's just too big of a spread to figure. I think Walsh will start again this week, and I don't think Gundy/Monken let him use his full skill set in this one in order to stay as healthy as possible at the QB position.

I went with OU because Texas is a young team coming off of two very emotional games against OSU and West Virginia while the Sooners have had a bye and a relatively easy win coming into this one.

West Virginia has more experience than Texas, and we saw last week that Tech isn't on OU's level. Tech needs a nightmare type day from Geno Smith to pull this one out I think.

Without Pachall TCU has very little chance to score with Baylor. They just managed to get back in that game late with him last year, and he's not the only member of the team that has moved on early or had their season lost to injury.

I like

KState becuse of the defense
Oklahoma becuse I think they are fairly balanced on offense
WVU (homer pick) plus to your point I think they have too much on offense. Although, this could be a trap game coming off win against UT and before a big match up with Kstate
OSU in a route because they have a really good offense and based on what I have read Kansas may already be shutting it down.
Baylor in a route. I think this game could get ugly really fast.

Those are your picks, your picks against the spread or both?

For the record, I think my Cowboys beat Kansas easily. I'm just not confident enough to go with 27.5 points without Lunt starting.

Just picks. I rarely pay attention to the spread. I guess I should have mentioned that.

After watching highlights (a terrible way to pick for spreads), I like KSU to cover. OU/UT is a tossup with the winner winning by 3-7 points - I'll pick OU to win and cover. I wasn't on the TCU bandwagon before they lost their QB, Baylor easily covers the spread. The only way OSU doesn't cover is if they get up early and try to run clock, but 27.5 is still too many to feel comfortable with, so OSU to win, KU to cover. I like WVU, but then I always do.

Originally posted by TheRedSon:
Kansas State -6.5 @ Iowa State (Kansas State)

OK, so I was right to say this one was too close to mess with. Iowa State may have the best or second best defense in the conference. Not looking forward to facing it next week.

Texas +3.5 vs Oklahoma (Oklahoma)

I didn't expect a beat down in that one. OU was very impressive. If anything is going to cost Mack Brown his job it's getting killed in this game. I wouldn't be surprised if Diaz is gone this week.

Oklahoma State -27.5 @ Kansas (Oklahoma State, Kansas beats spread though)

I guess I should congratulate myself for saying they'd beat the spread. I was thinking 20-24 point win though.

West Virginia -4.0 @ Texas Tech (West Virginia)

Man was I wrong... Geno's going to have to get used to that wind. It could be just as bad anywhere in the Big 12 other than Austin and Waco.

TCU +7.0 @ Baylor (Baylor)

Way off on this one as well. I thought the Baylor offense would have days like today before the season started, but I was a believer after the first few weeks. TCU really impressed me in that one.
3-2, but I'd have taken a serious hit on the two games I thought were the biggest locks in Lubbock and Waco.

That was a crazy day in the Big 12. Kansas State and Iowa State was about the only thing that went the way I thought it would, and it was still closer in the end than I expected. OSU flat out slept walk through that game in Kansas. Baylor, West Virginia and Texas were flatter than pancakes. TCU and Texas Tech got off the matt in a big way, and Oklahoma looked like the team the experts said they were before the season started. Those four games really surprised me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT