ADVERTISEMENT

WVSPORTS.COM Big 12 Pre-season Hoops Poll

I think that is a good first guess of how it will turn out. I think it has as much to do with other coaches know Huggins won’t settle for losing 2 years in a row, and we have had some good recruiting classes as of late.

Things started to come together a little toward the end of the season last year, so that probably plays into it a bit.

Does this ranking have to do with Huggins or is it that the Big 12 will have a down year? Or could it be both?

Usually we are are picked 7th or 8th. So this is a bit of a surprise. Shows respect for WVU program.

You could have ranked any team 4-10.

The top 3 are obvious.

I have seen pretty much every team at 10 this off-season.

It is based on having a lot of teams capable of making a NCAA tournament run. I don't think any conference in the country could say all their teams believe they should be playing in the NCAA Tournament.
I think this is how teams feel this year.

Not all are going to make it of course but going to be interesting who doesn't.

I am not as high on Iowa State as some. I actually think they could be easily the worst team in the Big 12 but they still have Haliburton.

Other than Texas being ranked too highly, this poll seems reasonable. When is the last time that Texas finished at least as high as fourth in the Big 12?

Shaka's first season.

You could rank any team 4-10. Truthfully would have been better to be ranked much lower because this is from the conference.
This is what the coaches think about you.

TCU, Oklahoma and Kansas State are the ones who are using this as motivation instead of Texas, Oklahoma State and WVU.

Kansas State is pretty much saying they feel like they are being underappreciated.

The difference isn't that much between the teams.

Texas is probably the only school in that group with the talent to challenge the Top 3

Going to be a huge season for them or Shaka is gone. With what they have in the Backcourt and their new defensive assistant Luke Yaklich.

They bring it on the defensive end.

They were a Top 25 team last year according to KenPom and Top 30 on both offense and defense.
Could end up Top 15 in both this year

The only thing that is glaringly wrong is Texas at 4. They have nothing left except hype and media driven reputations.

The media is split on them.
This is from the coaches and not the media anyway.

This is about WVU.

Matters how Bob Huggins uses this. I know he was upset when people had him at the bottom. Truthfully I think it would have been better for WVU to be ninth or tenth.
They need something to spark them out of the gate because their season will be determined by the OOC schedule like last year.

Regarding Texas.

According to some this is Shaka Smart's least talented team and they don't have any lottery picks.
He didn't his first season either and they had his best record.
From what I have seen and heard Texas still has a player who may end up being drafted pretty high in Gerald Liddell.

Our starting five can play with any team in the country.

Is the Jones kid at Texas healthy?

I worry about your PG with McCabe on defense.
He will score 10-15 PPG and make some plays but he isn't a pitbull.
If he can turn into Bob Huggins on the floor I am with you .

Someone said McBride looked better but he is a true freshman and doesn't have the strength IMO to go up against older guards.

Jones should play.
Should come off the bench.
Both of Texas' guards off the bench Andrew Jones and Donovan Williams could start at a lot of D1 schools.
Williams is the key because he is 6-5 with length and athleticism. But he is coming in as an elite defender.

Last edited:
I disagree any team could be ranked 4-10. There is alot of depth in this conference and good teams, but no way are the bottom 5 teams better than us. I think this is a very good poll. The top 5 are more rearrangeable than the bottom 5. It should be wide open. Holding down your home court and staying healthy will be huge

Reactions: WVUALLEN
I disagree any team could be ranked 4-10. There is alot of depth in this conference and good teams, but no way are the bottom 5 teams better than us. I think this is a very good poll. The top 5 are more rearrangeable than the bottom 5. It should be wide open. Holding down your home court and staying healthy will be huge

I agree.

Texas has been picked highly every season and always finds a way to underachieve. Could be Shaka's last season if he doesn't produce a sweet 16 team.

Every single rankings they have.

Oklahoma State to me is better than WVU.
They beat you in both games last year. Bring back everyone and have depth.
Lindy Waters is a player who you want with the ball late in the game.

Every single game in the conference is a play in game for the tournament.

Iowa State
K State
TCU
Oklahoma

All 4 have enough to play in the tournament.
They aren't much different than Texas and WVU.

Baylor has more talent than they ever had according to some

Tech brings back some and added a grad transfer and an elite recruit in Ramsey

KU is a Final 4 contender

Texas has been picked highly every season and always finds a way to underachieve. Could be Shaka's last season if he doesn't produce a sweet 16 team.

We will see.
There are some things to like with that team but Smart hasn't produced since he has been there.
The issue has been in game. I think this is why Texas brought in someone who can make the changes in game with Luke Yaklich defensively.
He was quality enough of an assistant that John Beilein changed his team based on Yaklich.

If any team ends up Top 5/10 defense that is a surprise it could be Texas.

M
I worry about your PG with McCabe on defense.
He will score 10-15 PPG and make some plays but he isn't a pitbull.
If he can turn into Bob Huggins on the floor I am with you .

Someone said McBride looked better but he is a true freshman and doesn't have the strength IMO to go up against older guards.

Jones should play.
Should come off the bench.
Both of Texas' guards off the bench Andrew Jones and Donovan Williams could start at a lot of D1 schools.
Williams is the key because he is 6-5 with length and athleticism. But he is coming in as an elite defender.
McBride was a high school quarterback for Moeller. He is built like a truck and his play reminds me of Truck Briant. Mcabe's defense is much improved. I think we will be just fine at point guard. I definitely think we will finish ahead of Texas.

M

McBride was a high school quarterback for Moeller. He is built like a truck and his play reminds me of Truck Briant. Mcabe's defense is much improved. I think we will be just fine at point guard. I definitely think we will finish ahead of Texas.

That has to be shown on the floor.
Texas had luck at Moeller with Jaxson Hayes so McBride could be ready to play at a high level but maybe McBride's success is because of McCabe guarding him.

I will have to see them in action.
McCabe is the key to your defense along with having a shot blocking presence.
Like I have said I thought Culver and McCabe were liabilities on defense last year.

We will see.
There are some things to like with that team but Smart hasn't produced since he has been there.
The issue has been in game. I think this is why Texas brought in someone who can make the changes in game with Luke Yaklich defensively.
He was quality enough of an assistant that John Beilein changed his team based on Yaklich.

If any team ends up Top 5/10 defense that is a surprise it could be Texas.

Right..how many top players in the country has Texas had? Only to fail.
Shaka 71–66 (.518) 31–41 (.431)

If not for NIT run last year he would be 66-66.

Right..how many top players in the country has Texas had? Only to fail.
Shaka 71–66 (.518) 31–41 (.431)

If not for NIT run last year he would be 66-66.

What does that have to do with this year's team.
Majority of coaches have ups and downs coaching. Very few programs consistently win at a high level.
After 4 years I think Shaka Smart has to show that he can win at a high level.

He has had some lottery picks but all those players were drafted based on potential and not having a major impact their freshman year.

His problems started in his first two recruiting classes. His last two have been much better.
He knows the players in the state and getting who fits his style or finding those players elsewhere.

I can make a case on every team being 4th.
But there are only one or two teams out of that group I can make a case for to finish in the Top 3 and Texas is one.

I think this is why they were voted by the coaches to finish 4th.

Only two teams really got the best of Texas last year.
Michigan State and Texas Tech .

They did it defensively by giving trouble to Texas on the perimeter

They feel with their pieces they can be that team.
All 3 of their starting guards return. Andrew Jones who was the best guard Texas had before he went down returns
They bring in a player with a huge upside in Donovan Williams.
If he can develop a shot watch out.

A team who was losing close games last year who returns their Backcourt makes you think they can be a threat

The reason why they are 4th and not much higher is Shaka Smart and his lack of success at Texas.

Your points being made is why they aren't in the top group and being labeled a team who is a legit Sweet 16 team.

Like I have said I really have to see that WVU team be a Bob Huggins team before I can say they are going to be able to win at a high level in the Big 12.

Even when you won some games at the end of the year it wasn't what you expect from a Bob Huggins coached basketball team.

I think the coaches in the conference are giving him the benefit of the doubt.
Even then I expect some struggles during the season.

I am much higher on WVU next year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT