ADVERTISEMENT

Big 12 needs to decide whether it is in, or out

WVUALLEN

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Aug 5, 2009
“For now, there is no interest from the Big 12 to take any Pac-12 schools. When a chance presented itself Thursday for the Big 12 board of directors to discuss these developments, one high-ranking Big 12 official said, ‘Why?'”

The Big Ten and SEC are both now at 16 schools apiece for the future and threatening to get even larger, yet the Big 12 is satisfied to keep itself at 12 and hope that things work out?

That is the same kind of thinking that got them into the position that they are in now with Oklahoma and Texas leaving. Sure, adding four schools to help offset that loss will help, but let’s not pretend that the conference doesn’t lose the vast majority of its leverage when those two schools leave. Adding schools like Arizona, ASU, Utah, Colorado, or even Oregon and Washington would allow the Big 12 to broaden its market and get to 16 schools, helping it secure a future for itself.

One way or another, college football is heading towards bigger conferences and the Big 12 needs to decide whether it is in, or out.

“For now, there is no interest from the Big 12 to take any Pac-12 schools. When a chance presented itself Thursday for the Big 12 board of directors to discuss these developments, one high-ranking Big 12 official said, ‘Why?'”

The Big Ten and SEC are both now at 16 schools apiece for the future and threatening to get even larger, yet the Big 12 is satisfied to keep itself at 12 and hope that things work out?

That is the same kind of thinking that got them into the position that they are in now with Oklahoma and Texas leaving. Sure, adding four schools to help offset that loss will help, but let’s not pretend that the conference doesn’t lose the vast majority of its leverage when those two schools leave. Adding schools like Arizona, ASU, Utah, Colorado, or even Oregon and Washington would allow the Big 12 to broaden its market and get to 16 schools, helping it secure a future for itself.

One way or another, college football is heading towards bigger conferences and the Big 12 needs to decide whether it is in, or out.

If they had a plan to offer Pac 12 schools, they wouldn't make a public announcement about it at this time. Big 12 has always been reactive not proactive but that's what happens when you have a bunch of schools that don't really want to be in the conference there in.

Probably people are waiting to see what happens next--Notre Dame in or out to Big Ten. If out, does the Big Ten add more PAC schools? Which ones do they add if ND is in?

On the BIG 12 side who is available and what will media partners do financially for adding and how many?

In terms of talking publicly about it, the Big Ten has shown how to do it--keep the lid on tight until its done.

The BIG 12 saw the fiasco caused last time when they were open about expansion plans--their enemies used the info to tank them. Won't happen again. Plus the new commish just got hired and hasn't started.

My sentiments exactly! That tells me they are not savvy in the world of business or have the intellectual insight to know how to monetize scale in the modernized economy where data & engagement rules...

Im not sure if its possible but I would call for a vote of no confidence.... There is absolutely no way adding 4 of those programs listed above would add significant value to the conference, if they thought outside the box when it comes to sourcing new revenue streams.

How do they know SEC and BigTen wont be aggressive and go for 20... The business world is very different from the polite intellectual culture hogwash that is exuded from University Presidents. Its brutal, archaic, and a competition. You dont win by being passive. Unless their playing "Of course Im not running for President" media game, which I hope is the case, this is a total fail if true and not a smokescreen..

Reactions: WVUALLEN
My sentiments exactly! That tells me they are not savvy in the world of business or have the intellectual insight to know how to monetize scale in the modernized economy where data & engagement rules...

Im not sure if its possible but I would call for a vote of no confidence.... There is absolutely no way adding 4 of those programs listed above would add significant value to the conference, if they thought outside the box when it comes to sourcing new revenue streams.

How do they know SEC and BigTen wont be aggressive and go for 20... The business world is very different from the polite intellectual culture hogwash that is exuded from University Presidents. Its brutal, archaic, and a competition. You dont win by being passive. Unless their playing "Of course Im not running for President" media game, which I hope is the case, this is a total fail if true and not a smokescreen..
Reminds me a lot of how the old Big East worked.

Reactions: 1duluth1

Adding those 4 ..... or any 2 or 4 may not give added value at this time. We don't know what the current value of the B12 is without OUT. We can only make a calculated guess at best. BUT..... not adding any teams leaves the conference in a vulnerable position. It puts them down on the par with the PAC and maybe even lower than the ACC.

Adding teams broadens the markets. Adds inventory. Secures the conference in a way that teams would not want to move to the PAC because we depleted their value significantly. This makes the B12 more stable for the long run. Not nearly SEC or B1G stable, but significantly better than the PAC and most likely the ACC. ACC is vulnerable because both SEC and B1G are looking to pick off a number of their programs. Picking from the B12 is done. Couple of teams bolt from the ACC and the B12 may have a chance to snatch a few Eastern market teams.

IMO if Yormark plays his cards right the P5 will become P5a -- SEC, B1G, P5b -- B12, P5c -- PAC, ACC.

Reactions: Volatility
ADVERTISEMENT