ADVERTISEMENT

Big 12 is the deepest conference in America !!!!

A lot of people do not understand that Texas hasn't purposely loss games in the last few years but they have aided in the growth of other programs
TCU especially.
It is the time starting in the 18-19 school year to either have the other program keep up and keep the Big XII alive or for UT to say goodbye to the conference. That is other universities' choice.
Basketball and Shaka Smart is the last puzzle piece .
Trust me on this UT's new superstar in basketball will be special.
I have heard people say that the way he controls the game defensively is like Hakeem.

Do you understand the difference between Texas and Oklahoma and the SEC in terms of revenue.

In potential growth mainly.

I know in Austin the 05-06 school year may return soon and once it does it may be like that for more years than it is not

Ranked #1 in football, basketball and baseball the same school year.

Why are you on the WVU site begging for all things Texas. Man are you a tool. I can't believe you are that lonely but it must be so.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
No they didn't. You are way too obstinate about this. The SEC schools had their Tier 3 deals up until they signed the new contract with ESPN in 2013 (which is what created the conference network). The SEC repurchased its Tier 3 rights in April of 2013. Then the SEC signed the new contract with ESPN in May of 2013.

Sorry, no, that's incorrect. Raycom had the SEC's Tier 2 rights, not Tier 3. As I just told the other poster, the SEC repurchased their Tier 3 rights in April of 2013. In fact, in September of 2008 ( one month after the deal with ESPN), Florida renewed their Tier 3 contract with Sun Sports.

You guys are simply way off on the facts.

Not true. West Virginia got $6 million a year from their old Tier 3 contract with West Virginia Radio Corp., which West Virginia had while still in the Big East.

I'm also not deflecting at all. You claimed I was incorrect, and I wasn't. West Virginia had a Tier 3 contract when they were in the Big East which paid similar (not quite as much) to what West Virginia gets now. The Tier 3 contract is/was independent of the conference, be it the Big East or the Big 12. I'll agree with you that overall, West Virginia makes more money in the Big 12, but that's not because of Tier 3 money. It's because of the Big 12's league contract, not Tier 3 money.

Also, whether the Tier 3 money comes from Tier 3 money DOES matter, because that was the entire point I was making to the other poster. I was responding to his point about Tier 3 money. You jumped into that conversation, and tried to argue a point that was unrelated to the issue being discussed by the other poster and me.

WVU made about $1 to $2 million a year with West Virginia RC. They made $6 million total on their tier 3 rights which has now jumped up to closer to $10 million.

The point is the "Big12 beats up the Big12" doesn't have traction outside of Big12 country. The Big12 homer(not you) thinks that but no one on the Committee thinks like that unless they are connected to the Big12. Your post was excellent and I agree with most of it!!! But, right or wrong, the Big12 fights the same national respect issue that the Big East and ACC use to fight. I've always believed that every P5 Conference should have have its champion in playoff with the argument being focused on teams 6,7 and 8.
They only fight that because of the 4 team playoff. ESPN's ultimate goal was 4 conferences, but they still can't control that with the B12 and Notre Dame on the outside of those other 4 conferences. Funny thing is Notre Dame plays 12 teams, no conference championship and will not be questioned about their right to be in the playoff, only because they are Notre Dame. Granted right now there are 5 ranked teams on their schedule but because they are Notre Dame they don't need that extra game at the end like the playoff committee said was important the first couple years. The fight for 8 teams will be louder every year, especially a year when Notre Dame or another conference gets in two teams and two conferences are left out. Until the B12 goes to 12 teams and splits into divsions they will always be fighting to get into the playoff. Sorry to disagree with your point about b12 respect but the b12 gets way more respect than the old bigeast and old acc.

Do you understand the difference between Texas and Oklahoma and the SEC in terms of revenue.

In potential growth mainly.

I know in Austin the 05-06 school year may return soon and once it does it may be like that for more years than it is not

Ranked #1 in football, basketball and baseball the same school year.

I understand the media rights and the TV contracts. You don't. You are worried about playing the "mine's bigger than yours game." I'm not.

WVU made about $1 to $2 million a year with West Virginia RC. They made $6 million total on their tier 3 rights which has now jumped up to closer to $10 million.

That's inaccurate. As the article I linked clearly states, West Virginia made $6 million from their previous Tier 3 deal. They now make a little more than that, $8 or 9 million. That's because IMG paid a little more for the new deal ($7 million), and West Virginia retained some sponsorship rights (about $1 or 2 million).

The point is, the other poster was inaccurate when he said West Virginia did not have Tier 3 money in the Big East. They most certainly did, to the tune of $6 million a year.

I understand the media rights and the TV contracts. You don't. You are worried about playing the "mine's bigger than yours game." I'm not.

That's inaccurate. As the article I linked clearly states, West Virginia made $6 million from their previous Tier 3 deal. They now make a little more than that, $8 or 9 million. That's because IMG paid a little more for the new deal ($7 million), and West Virginia retained some sponsorship rights (about $1 or 2 million).

The point is, the other poster was inaccurate when he said West Virginia did not have Tier 3 money in the Big East. They most certainly did, to the tune of $6 million a year.

WVU control it's media rights and WVRC paid $1 to $2 million for the radio rights not $6 million. WVU was able to generate $6 million in tier 3 rights revenue prior to the IMG revenue. The total is right but you are wrong on how it was generated. WVU's revenue has doubled since joining the B12.

Well one thing is for sure...while the Big12-2=10 has historically been the weakest of the P5 setup in terms of end of year Top 10 finishes...those saying it is the "deepest" must be referring to the crap they are spewing lol.

No they didn't. You are way too obstinate about this. The SEC schools had their Tier 3 deals up until they signed the new contract with ESPN in 2013 (which is what created the conference network). The SEC repurchased its Tier 3 rights in April of 2013. Then the SEC signed the new contract with ESPN in May of 2013.

Sorry, no, that's incorrect. Raycom had the SEC's Tier 2 rights, not Tier 3. As I just told the other poster, the SEC repurchased their Tier 3 rights in April of 2013. In fact, in September of 2008 ( one month after the deal with ESPN), Florida renewed their Tier 3 contract with Sun Sports.

You guys are simply way off on the facts.

Not true. West Virginia got $6 million a year from their old Tier 3 contract with West Virginia Radio Corp., which West Virginia had while still in the Big East.

Whoa! John Raese gave WVU about $400K, NOT $6 million, according to printed reports that I read. Where did you get this wild $6 million claim from. Raese had a sweetheart deal, which is why he sued everyone in sight when IMG got the WVU deal and ponied up $6 to $8 million.

Show me your proof and I'll show you mine.

I'm also not deflecting at all. You claimed I was incorrect, and I wasn't. West Virginia had a Tier 3 contract when they were in the Big East which paid similar (not quite as much) to what West Virginia gets now. The Tier 3 contract is/was independent of the conference, be it the Big East or the Big 12. I'll agree with you that overall, West Virginia makes more money in the Big 12, but that's not because of Tier 3 money. It's because of the Big 12's league contract, not Tier 3 money.

Also, whether the Tier 3 money comes from Tier 3 money DOES matter, because that was the entire point I was making to the other poster. I was responding to his point about Tier 3 money. You jumped into that conversation, and tried to argue a point that was unrelated to the issue being discussed by the other poster and me.

IMG deal provides WVU with $7.2 million a year PLUS WVU got to get its rights to Coca-Cola, United Bank, WVU Health Care System and Nike, which is close to another $2 million a year. So you are right and I was wrong. It’s not $6 to $8 million but closer to $9 million. I apologize for not remembering the deal for being greater than I thought. Two separate sources I quote below use the $9 million figure.

IMG subsequently won the second round of bidding, agreeing to pay the university $86.5 million over 12 years for third-tier rights to bottom-rung football and basketball games, all radio broadcasts, coaches shows, website content and campus signage.

http://wvmetronews.com/2015/06/26/west-virginia-university-board-of-governors-pays-937k-in-media-rights-settlement/

West Virginia Radio Corp. partnered with WVU's Mountaineer Sports Network for more than 70 years.

IMG did, offering WVU a minimum guarantee of $86.5 million for 12 years. IMG's bid allowed WVU to retain certain rights, such as the $500,000 Coca-Cola will pay, and it allows WVU to sign direct sponsorship agreements with United Bank, WVU Health System and Nike

http://www.yourohiovalley.com/story/23287900/img-keeps-rights-to-carry-wvu-games-for-now

Media sources have reported that WVU was expecting to make $5 million more than the $4 million it was making every year while controlling the Tier 3 rights independently.

In a Feb. 8 story reported in the Charleston Daily Mail, Payne said “John Raese has a very lucrative deal up there with West Virginia Radio and he is trying to protect it.”

We understand that he doesn’t want to let go of a good thing. But we question how Raese can complain about what he claims is a “conflicted process” when he has had his way all of these years as a true ìMountaineer Insider.

https://www.theet.com/opinion/editorials/article_b243ca1c-7bdc-11e2-819a-001a4bcf887a.html

WVU control it's media rights and WVRC paid $1 to $2 million for the radio rights not $6 million. WVU was able to generate $6 million in tier 3 rights revenue prior to the IMG revenue. The total is right but you are wrong on how it was generated. WVU's revenue has doubled since joining the B12.

I have posted a link to this. West Virginia's Tier 3 rights, prior to IMG and the Big 12 paid $6 million a year. That was the point. Now, to your side point that WVRC only paid $1-2 million. 1) That doesn't change the fact that the total was $6 million. 2) Post a link about how much WVRC specifically paid.

To your last point, you are correct that West Virginia has doubled its income since joining the Big 12. However, that's not because of Tier 3. West Virginia had Tier 3 rights in the Big East, just like they do now in the Big 12. West Virginia's revenue increase is due to the TV contract (plus CFP/bowl money) the Big 12 has with Fox and ESPN. That increase isn't due to Tier 3, like some people are trying to claim.

IMG deal provides WVU with $7.2 million a year PLUS WVU got to get its rights to Coca-Cola, United Bank, WVU Health Care System and Nike, which is close to another $2 million a year. So you are right and I was wrong. It’s not $6 to $8 million but closer to $9 million. I apologize for not remembering the deal for being greater than I thought. Two separate sources I quote below use the $9 million figure.

IMG subsequently won the second round of bidding, agreeing to pay the university $86.5 million over 12 years for third-tier rights to bottom-rung football and basketball games, all radio broadcasts, coaches shows, website content and campus signage.

http://wvmetronews.com/2015/06/26/west-virginia-university-board-of-governors-pays-937k-in-media-rights-settlement/

West Virginia Radio Corp. partnered with WVU's Mountaineer Sports Network for more than 70 years.

IMG did, offering WVU a minimum guarantee of $86.5 million for 12 years. IMG's bid allowed WVU to retain certain rights, such as the $500,000 Coca-Cola will pay, and it allows WVU to sign direct sponsorship agreements with United Bank, WVU Health System and Nike

http://www.yourohiovalley.com/story/23287900/img-keeps-rights-to-carry-wvu-games-for-now

Media sources have reported that WVU was expecting to make $5 million more than the $4 million it was making every year while controlling the Tier 3 rights independently.

In a Feb. 8 story reported in the Charleston Daily Mail, Payne said “John Raese has a very lucrative deal up there with West Virginia Radio and he is trying to protect it.”

We understand that he doesn’t want to let go of a good thing. But we question how Raese can complain about what he claims is a “conflicted process” when he has had his way all of these years as a true ìMountaineer Insider.

https://www.theet.com/opinion/editorials/article_b243ca1c-7bdc-11e2-819a-001a4bcf887a.html

You asked me for proof of my point in your previous post. Well, here you go:

Luck estimates that while $86 million over 12 years averages out to just over $7 million a year — WVU was grossing about $6 million a year in Tier 3 revenues before this contract, the additional rights they kept this time that were included in the first deal give the Mountaineers about a $9 to $9.5 million gross per year.

West Virginia was making $6 million a year from its previous Tier 3 contract. Well, that tells us several things:

1) West Virginia retained Tier 3 rights prior to joining the Big 12, while still in the Big East.
2) West Virginia was receiving Tier 3 income prior to joining the Big 12, while still in the Big East.
3) West Virginia's overall income has doubled since joining the Big 12, but the Tier 3 contract has only gone up about $3 million. Therefore, it's not Tier 3 that's responsible for West Virginia's increase. It's the payouts from the Big 12 that's making the difference, not the Tier 3 rights.

I have posted a link to this. West Virginia's Tier 3 rights, prior to IMG and the Big 12 paid $6 million a year. That was the point. Now, to your side point that WVRC only paid $1-2 million. 1) That doesn't change the fact that the total was $6 million. 2) Post a link about how much WVRC specifically paid.

To your last point, you are correct that West Virginia has doubled its income since joining the Big 12. However, that's not because of Tier 3. West Virginia had Tier 3 rights in the Big East, just like they do now in the Big 12. West Virginia's revenue increase is due to the TV contract (plus CFP/bowl money) the Big 12 has with Fox and ESPN. That increase isn't due to Tier 3, like some people are trying to claim.

Luck estimates that while $86 million over 12 years averages out to just over $7 million a year — WVU was grossing about $6 million a year in Tier 3 revenues before this contract, the additional rights they kept this time that were included in the first deal give the Mountaineers about a $9 to $9.5 million gross per year.

West Virginia was making $6 million a year from its previous Tier 3 contract. Well, that tells us several things:

1) West Virginia retained Tier 3 rights prior to joining the Big 12, while still in the Big East.
2) West Virginia was receiving Tier 3 income prior to joining the Big 12, while still in the Big East.
3) West Virginia's overall income has doubled since joining the Big 12, but the Tier 3 contract has only gone up about $3 million. Therefore, it's not Tier 3 that's responsible for West Virginia's increase. It's the payouts from the Big 12 that's making the difference, not the Tier 3 rights.

You know that Tier 3 rights can be as valuable as I want to make them.
I can use my Tier 3 rights and begin to market my university in Asia and Europe.
If a university truly wanted to they could make Tier 3 rights bring in 50 million a year

You numbers don't add up to what independent sources wrote. It was $4 million, not $6 million, and it went up $5 million to $9 million. I only follow the facts, even when they don't agree with what I thought. You should try it.

You know that Tier 3 rights can be as valuable as I want to make them.
I can use my Tier 3 rights and begin to market my university in Asia and Europe.
If a university truly wanted to they could make Tier 3 rights bring in 50 million a year

No, Tier 3 rights aren't as valuable as you want to make them. They are only as valuable as someone is willing to pay for them. Nobody is willing to pay tens of millions of dollars for these rights. Texas is only school that comes close to that, because they have a subscription network. Nobody has offered the other schools a subscription network, hence the reason they can't make that much money from Tier 3 rights.

You numbers don't add up to what independent sources wrote. It was $4 million, not $6 million, and it went up $5 million to $9 million. I only follow the facts, even when they don't agree with what I thought. You should try it.

Sorry, "my" numbers do add up, and those numbers are from "independent sources." This is a direct quote from The Times West Virginian:

http://www.timeswv.com/sports/wvu-i...cle_60f5c7e4-2cfc-5bea-9e24-c9630d5107fb.html

Well, there you go. A West Virginia newspaper reported that the old Tier 3 contract was about $6 million per year. That's not me making up the number. That's from a sourced media outlet.

From your posted link.

Luck believes that his school benefitted by being late in selling its Tier 3 rights, the Mountaineers being among the last major schools in the nation and the final one in the Big 12.

WVU produced its own content and was paid between $1 to $2 million by the WVRC. WVU made a total of $6 million but that was mostly outside of WWRC. WVU tier 3 income is around $10 million this year a 67% increase from the BE days.

This whole "mine is bigger than yours" posting debate is comical. Talk about picking the fly shit from the pepper...posting a week 9 top 25 post bragging about teams, not in the Top 10, but 25 is hysterical. The Big 12=2=10, just from sheer number of members, is on shaky ground. lol

From your posted link.

Luck believes that his school benefitted by being late in selling its Tier 3 rights, the Mountaineers being among the last major schools in the nation and the final one in the Big 12.

WVU produced its own content and was paid between $1 to $2 million by the WVRC. WVU made a total of $6 million but that was mostly outside of WWRC. WVU tier 3 income is around $10 million this year a 67% increase from the BE days.

You still haven't posted a link showing the actual figures. You're just telling me it was $1-2 million, and thinking I'm supposed to accept that on faith, without verification.

Here's the thing. If you're telling me that WVRC was just part of the overall contract, I'm fine with that. It doesn't change the fact that West Virginia was making $6 million in Tier 3 revenue, like I said.

The thing is, Tier 3 doesn't have anything to do with the conference. The schools negotiate these contracts individually, so switching from the Big East to the Big 12 didn't change the Tier 3 contract. It changed because West Virginia decided to go with IGM, which is a bigger company. West Virginia could have signed with IMG while they were in the Big East if they wanted (assuming the contract was up for bid at that point).

My point is, the ~$30 million increase in West Virginia's revenue is due to the Big 12's contract with Fox and ESPN, not the Tier 3 contract with IMG. People think these Tier 3 rights are worth tens of millions of dollars a year, and they aren't.

You still haven't posted a link showing the actual figures. You're just telling me it was $1-2 million, and thinking I'm supposed to accept that on faith, without verification.

Here's the thing. If you're telling me that WVRC was just part of the overall contract, I'm fine with that. It doesn't change the fact that West Virginia was making $6 million in Tier 3 revenue, like I said.

The thing is, Tier 3 doesn't have anything to do with the conference. The schools negotiate these contracts individually, so switching from the Big East to the Big 12 didn't change the Tier 3 contract. It changed because West Virginia decided to go with IGM, which is a bigger company. West Virginia could have signed with IMG while they were in the Big East if they wanted (assuming the contract was up for bid at that point).

My point is, the ~$30 million increase in West Virginia's revenue is due to the Big 12's contract with Fox and ESPN, not the Tier 3 contract with IMG. People think these Tier 3 rights are worth tens of millions of dollars a year, and they aren't.
Except at some schools like WVU they are worth 10+ million (2018). Not long before we went with IMG, WVRC was paying $50,000 for broadcast rights. That changed under Luck. Also the content was produced by the university at its own cost and sold post production. That expense has been eliminated. So glad we have someone who knows nothing about WVU, tell us all about our university. It is not the you are wrong on all your points but a good many you have jump to the wrong conclusions.

Except at some schools like WVU they are worth 10+ million (2018). Not long before we went with IMG, WVRC was paying $50,000 for broadcast rights. That changed under Luck. Also the content was produced by the university at its own cost and sold post production. That expense has been eliminated. So glad we have someone who knows nothing about WVU, tell us all about our university. It is not the you are wrong on all your points but a good many you have jump to the wrong conclusions.

Oh no, I haven't jumped to the wrong conclusions. West Virginia makes about $9 million a year on Tier 3. The IMG contract pays about $7 million a year, and the university retains advertising rights worth about $2 million a year.

Now, if you want to talk about jumping to the wrong conclusions, you are doing that yourself. West Virginia's Tier 3 contract with IMG is all-inclusive. It's not just TV. Let me say that again so you understand that.

IT'S NOT JUST TV.

I'll say it one more time to make sure you get it.

IT'S NOT JUST TV.

People keep thinking that having that one football game against a low-grade opponent is worth all kinds of money, and it isn't. West Virginia has always had that game in its Tier 3 content, even when they were in the Big East. Moving to the Big 12 didn't change that, because West Virginia always retained the same Tier 3 content in both conferences. So here's the point. West Virginia was making $6 million in Tier 3, WITH TV. Now, West Virginia is making $9 million in Tier 3, WITH TV. Television isn't making the difference. Changing conferences isn't making the difference. The difference is that West Virginia decided to sign its Tier 3 rights with IMG, which is a big company.

Oh no, I haven't jumped to the wrong conclusions. West Virginia makes about $9 million a year on Tier 3. The IMG contract pays about $7 million a year, and the university retains advertising rights worth about $2 million a year.

Now, if you want to talk about jumping to the wrong conclusions, you are doing that yourself. West Virginia's Tier 3 contract with IMG is all-inclusive. It's not just TV. Let me say that again so you understand that.

IT'S NOT JUST TV.

I'll say it one more time to make sure you get it.

IT'S NOT JUST TV.

People keep thinking that having that one football game against a low-grade opponent is worth all kinds of money, and it isn't. West Virginia has always had that game in its Tier 3 content, even when they were in the Big East. Moving to the Big 12 didn't change that, because West Virginia always retained the same Tier 3 content in both conferences. So here's the point. West Virginia was making $6 million in Tier 3, WITH TV. Now, West Virginia is making $9 million in Tier 3, WITH TV. Television isn't making the difference. Changing conferences isn't making the difference. The difference is that West Virginia decided to sign its Tier 3 rights with IMG, which is a big company.
Well dumb a$$, I never said it was just TV. What kind of mental midget takes a discussion about radio and claims it is about TV. I was posting about radio and overall tier 3 rights. Never once mentioned TV, though WVU did produce its own tier 3 TV games along with the radio content. So that $6 million was what WVU was paid but does not subtract what it cost to produce that content. The IMG is NET earnings. I can explain the difference between net and gross if you want. Thanks for giving a great example of what I just posted, you jumping to the wrong conclusion.

So that we are clear, prior to this post in this thread, I have not talked about TV.

Well dumb a$$, I never said it was just TV. What kind of mental midget takes a discussion about radio and claims it is about TV. I was posting about radio and overall tier 3 rights. Never once mentioned TV, though WVU did produce its own tier 3 TV games along with the radio content. So that $6 million was what WVU was paid but does not subtract what it cost to produce that content. The IMG is NET earnings. I can explain the difference between net and gross if you want. Thanks for giving a great example of what I just posted, you jumping to the wrong conclusion.

So that we are clear, prior to this post in this thread, I have not talked about TV.

You need to watch your mouth, and get your facts right. Here is the very first thing I said in this thread regarding Tier 3 rights:

For the 1 millionth time, Tier 3 rights are not as valuable as you think they are. The TV portion of the Tier 3 rights are MAYBE worth $2-3 million.

This was post #98 on page 3 of this thread. I've been talking about TV rights the whole time. I said that in response to a poster who mentioned Tier 3 rights, vis-a-vis the SEC network. So no, this discussion isn't about radio. It's been about TV from the beginning. Just because your dumb ass jumped into the conversation midstream and didn't understand the context, that's not my fault.

Reactions: tOSUGrad90
You need to watch your mouth, and get your facts right. Here is the very first thing I said in this thread regarding Tier 3 rights:

This was post #98 on page 3 of this thread. I've been talking about TV rights the whole time. I said that in response to a poster who mentioned Tier 3 rights, vis-a-vis the SEC network. So no, this discussion isn't about radio. It's been about TV from the beginning. Just because your dumb ass jumped into the conversation midstream and didn't understand the context, that's not my fault.
Well thanks for your double standard. I need to watch my mouth and then you call me the same name. Unlike you I am a big boy and can take it. I never once posted about TV but was correcting some of your inaccuracy with WVRC. So three times in a direct response to me, you stated:
IT'S NOT JUST TV.
Twice in all caps despite me never talking about TV. That was in response to my post correcting you on WVRC. RC you know is Radio Corporation. So take a step back and look in the mirror at the dumb a$$ staring back at you before you respond.

Well thanks for your double standard. I need to watch my mouth and then you call me the same name. Unlike you I am a big boy and can take it. I never once posted about TV but was correcting some of your inaccuracy with WVRC. So three times in a direct response to me, you stated:

Twice in all caps despite me never talking about TV. That was in response to my post correcting you on WVRC. RC you know is Radio Corporation. So take a step back and look in the mirror at the dumb a$$ staring back at you before you respond.

It's not a double standard at all. You are the one who went down that road.

I don't care if you never once posted about TV. That's what this discussion has been about. The discussion doesn't change just for you. You have to adapt to the discussion. If you don't want to discuss TV, then your comments are irrelevant to the discussion.

So on Saturday night I am going to check out a WVU/UT women's volleyball match

Sometimes it is difficult to pay attention to the match with the girls you see on the volleyball court.

I hope it is a good match but I truthfully am unfamiliar with your university's volleyball team

It's not a double standard at all. You are the one who went down that road.

I don't care if you never once posted about TV. That's what this discussion has been about. The discussion doesn't change just for you. You have to adapt to the discussion. If you don't want to discuss TV, then your comments are irrelevant to the discussion.
Hey Topdick, the subject matter is actually about the relative depth of the B12. So applying your own standard, all tier 3 discussion is irrelevant. Just saying.

Hey Topdick, the subject matter is actually about the relative depth of the B12. So applying your own standard, all tier 3 discussion is irrelevant. Just saying.

I'm not the one who brought up Tier 3 in the first place. Another poster brought it up, regarding the SEC network. And the reason I brought up WVRC (in the context of Tier 3) is that another poster (incorrectly) claimed West Virginia wasn't getting Tier 3 money in the Big East. So if you have a problem with Tier 3 being discussed, take it up with those other posters.

The real problem here is you guys are way too insecure about the Big 12. I'm not even criticizing the Big 12. I'm not agreeing with the critics of the Big 12. I'm pointing out that if you don't like others making distorted claims about the Big 12, don't turn around and do the same thing to other conferences. That's what other posters have been doing in this thread and others.

I'm not the one who brought up Tier 3 in the first place. Another poster brought it up, regarding the SEC network. And the reason I brought up WVRC (in the context of Tier 3) is that another poster (incorrectly) claimed West Virginia wasn't getting Tier 3 money in the Big East. So if you have a problem with Tier 3 being discussed, take it up with those other posters.

The real problem here is you guys are way too insecure about the Big 12. I'm not even criticizing the Big 12. I'm not agreeing with the critics of the Big 12. I'm pointing out that if you don't like others making distorted claims about the Big 12, don't turn around and do the same thing to other conferences. That's what other posters have been doing in this thread and others.

Do you understand that tier 3 rights didn't disappear with conference networks.

http://www.wvillustrated.com/story/18305309/what-exactly-are-tier-three-rights

Tier 3 rights disappeared long ago in most conferences

You never saw Alabama or Ohio State putting football games on pay per view

Do you understand that tier 3 rights didn't disappear with conference networks.

http://www.wvillustrated.com/story/18305309/what-exactly-are-tier-three-rights

Tier 3 rights disappeared long ago in most conferences

You never saw Alabama or Ohio State putting football games on pay per view

Actually, you're incorrect after I reread your post. Tier 3 rights didn't disappear long ago. Florida televised their Tier 3 games with Sun Sports until 2014. South Carolina sold their Tier 3 games through a local PPV outlet until 2014.

And as I have said repeatedly, Tier 3 is more than just TV. It's other stuff like radio, multimedia, and advertising. The other stuff has never disappeared, and even schools with conference network still have that.

Last edited:
That's the entire point I've been making all along.

No you claim that universities held onto to their media rights up until the conference network

The SEC especially in football had every game broadcast since the early 2000's
CBS had their first rights
ESPN had second rights
And
Raycom had third rights

No SEC games were controlled by the university.
I think basketball was the same way I believe

I am not talking about baseball or volleyball. Those games fetch small media rights.

Just image if Alabama could control their second or third tier rights.

Just one or two Texas football games a year on the LHN is worth 15 million a year to ESPN

If not Texas could take those games and do whatever they wanted

No you claim that universities held onto to their media rights up until the conference network

The SEC especially in football had every game broadcast since the early 2000's
CBS had their first rights
ESPN had second rights
And
Raycom had third rights

No SEC games were controlled by the university.
I think basketball was the same way I believe

I am not talking about baseball or volleyball. Those games fetch small media rights.

Just image if Alabama could control their second or third tier rights.

They did hold on to their rights up until the conference network. Florida had their Tier 3 games televised by Sun Sports until 2014. South Carolina sold their Tier 3 games on PPV until 2014.

So no, you are incorrect. The SEC schools did control their Tier 3 games up until the conference network in 2014.

So stop projecting what one poster gets wrong on every other poster. It is not a new thing for you. As I said most of what you said was right. You have never been able to take any correction to the points you have wrong. Speaking of which, I should correct myself. If you back out production cost from the $6 million, WVU has more than doubled their tier 3 revenue since joining the B12

That was the contract with Raycom.
Raycom owned those rights and they broadcasted the games whatever way they wanted

This was a Raycom game I remember.

Sometimes it would air on over the air channels sometimes it would be on ppv but what was always the same was that Raycom owned the rights

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT