ADVERTISEMENT

Big 12 expansion:

Marine03

All-Conference
Sep 29, 2012
Looks like UH is a lock now. I'm thinking Cincy, Memphis, and a Florida a school or possibly SDSU.
Any predictions by the EER faithful? And do you think this conference stays in tact with the additions for more than 5 years?
No smack here just debate

Looks like UH is a lock now. I'm thinking Cincy, Memphis, and a Florida a school or possibly SDSU.
Any predictions by the EER faithful? And do you think this conference stays in tact with the additions for more than 5 years?
No smack here just debate
Houston is a lock, if UT really supports their inclusion! Which seem counter intuitive to me but maybe I'm being too Machivellian because of MU's dealings with WVU.

Houston is a lock, if UT really supports their inclusion! Which seem counter intuitive to me but maybe I'm being too Machivellian because of MU's dealings with WVU.

Yeah UH is in for certain now. I think they take 3 more and call it a day. But I also see Oklahoma and Oklahoma state shifting at some point and possibly Texas also. Maybe not this go around but the SEC and PAC 12 have enough clout and big time programs to lure them away. The sad part is the realignment and moving is not going to stop anytime soon and it's ruining the game IMHO. WVU could at some point be left in a conference with no Oklahoma, no Texas, no Oklahoma State which then becomes a weak conference without big dollar programs, and very small revenue making schools left in it. This is no fault to WVU just like our jump to CUSA wasn't ours either. Both schools made the right call at the time, we see how this has effected Marshall time will tell about WVU.

Texas doesn't want Houston. I don't think TCU, OU or OSU wants it either.

Just my opinion, but I think Houston doesn't get in. Cincy is the closest "lock" I see, at the moment. Even that could change.

As for the SEC or PAC 12, do you really think that Texas will give up all of its power to go to either? They lose their Longhorn Network, for sure. They turned down the PAC 12 when the Big 12 was worse off than it is now.

2025 is a few years away. Lots can change. These money grabs could suddenly disappear to where any more expansion wouldn't be worth it. Highly unlikely WVU will be left out in any final scenario anyway.

Just my opinion, but I think Houston doesn't get in. Cincy is the closest "lock" I see, at the moment. Even that could change.

As for the SEC or PAC 12, do you really think that Texas will give up all of its power to go to either? They lose their Longhorn Network, for sure. They turned down the PAC 12 when the Big 12 was worse off than it is now.

2025 is a few years away. Lots can change. These money grabs could suddenly disappear to where any more expansion wouldn't be worth it. Highly unlikely WVU will be left out in any final scenario anyway.
It's hard for me to believe that UT wants Houston either although news reports indicate they are for Cougar High getting in. Texas didn't want TCU for crying out loud...they just don't want to share any of the oxygen in the state.

Yeah UH is in for certain now. I think they take 3 more and call it a day. But I also see Oklahoma and Oklahoma state shifting at some point and possibly Texas also. Maybe not this go around but the SEC and PAC 12 have enough clout and big time programs to lure them away. The sad part is the realignment and moving is not going to stop anytime soon and it's ruining the game IMHO. WVU could at some point be left in a conference with no Oklahoma, no Texas, no Oklahoma State which then becomes a weak conference without big dollar programs, and very small revenue making schools left in it. This is no fault to WVU just like our jump to CUSA wasn't ours either. Both schools made the right call at the time, we see how this has effected Marshall time will tell about WVU.
Well, reasonable minds can differ on whether we should have left the MAC for C-USA...IMHO, one did not need a crystal ball to see the train wreck coming but what the hell. I 100% agree that virtually everything in college football is fluid.

Cat the UT Pres has already endorsed Houston along with the governor and Lt governor. It's a guarantee they're getting in.

Cat the UT Pres has already endorsed Houston along with the governor and Lt governor. It's a guarantee they're getting in.
Texas isnt going to stop it because they know everyone else is against it already so they get what they want while keeping their hands clean politically.

Or at least that is how the texas fans are spinning it.

There's no guarantee UT would lose the longhorn network. ESPN could pay them a large enough deal to offset that considering a game with BAMA, USC, LSU, Oregon would likely be a huge game yearly compared to what's now in the B12 (aside from Oklahoma)

Texas isnt going to stop it because they know everyone else is against it already so they get what they want while keeping their hands clean politically.

Or at least that is how the texas fans are spinning it.

Of course that's how they spin it. UT suddenly has become the 4th best program in the state based on the field results. Houston, just like TCU and TTU the past few seasons will likely beat them head to head. Can you imagine Texas getting their ass handed to them by 3 other Texas schools? If not for Baylor's epic choke job last season and I may consider them 5th in Texas.

There's no guarantee UT would lose the longhorn network. ESPN could pay them a large enough deal to offset that considering a game with BAMA, USC, LSU, Oregon would likely be a huge game yearly compared to what's now in the B12 (aside from Oklahoma)

No guarantee? Well...It's why Texas A&M, Nebraska and Missouri left. Do you really think the SEC will let Texas keep that power if it offered Texas?

It's very likely why the Longhorns didn't bolt for the PAC 12.

The Big wouldn't let it happen either.

Texas isn't "all that" in the eyes of the SEC. It's doing great without Texas.

No way Texas keeps its network....it is King in the Big 12...Not so, in the other P5 conferences.....Unless it goes to the ACC. I don't see that happening.

I'm sure Herd fans are hoping for the collapse of the Big 12, just for WVU's sake.....We'll see what happens in several more years.

so what if the Gov of Texas wants Houston...

Texas gets one vote, just like WVU...

adding Houston doesn't add a single TV set... this is why I say NO to Houston

so what if the Gov of Texas wants Houston...

Texas gets one vote, just like WVU...

adding Houston doesn't add a single TV set... this is why I say NO to Houston
And WVU endorsed Marshall for the Big East. All teams vote.

Texas owns the b12. If Texas wants them in they're in. Anyone want to bet they don't?

lol... adding Houston adds ZERO TV sets...

the Gov of Texas has as much say as me when it comes to Big12 expansion...

Last edited:
Texas owns the b12. If Texas wants them in they're in. Anyone want to bet they don't?

If that's the case, do you truly think they'll have that type of power in any other conference? Also, how much more could Texas possibly make in another conference, be stripped of its power and it be worth it?

Still....All schools get a vote. What Texas says in public, under pressure from the state, doesn't mean that's what Texas wants.

It's a political game.

Don't let your hatred for WVU blind you.

If that's the case, do you truly think they'll have that type of power in any other conference? Also, how much more could Texas possibly make in another conference, be stripped of its power and it be worth it?

Still....All schools get a vote. What Texas says in public, under pressure from the state, doesn't mean that's what Texas wants.

It's a political game.

Don't let your hatred for WVU blind you.

Yes Texas will have that type of power in any conference. The only program with as much is BAMA which is why a move to the Pac 12 Makes more sense. I don't hate WVU so don't turn it into a WVU deal, it's not. I don't know why you have to turn open support into a Back Door ass rape by UT. They said it publically and and I think it should be taken for face value. Fact is, the big 12 as it stands right now doesn't have enough clout to break into the playoff. Of the schools being mentioned Houston is the only legit program who could come in right now and make an impact. The conference needs a boost and you're not going to get it with Cincy, USF, UCF, Memphis, SDSU like you would with Houston. Everyone in the b12 I think knows that which is why I think they're a lock.

Yes Texas will have that type of power in any conference. The only program with as much is BAMA which is why a move to the Pac 12 Makes more sense. I don't hate WVU so don't turn it into a WVU deal, it's not. I don't know why you have to turn open support into a Back Door ass rape by UT. They said it publically and and I think it should be taken for face value. Fact is, the big 12 as it stands right now doesn't have enough clout to break into the playoff. Of the schools being mentioned Houston is the only legit program who could come in right now and make an impact. The conference needs a boost and you're not going to get it with Cincy, USF, UCF, Memphis, SDSU like you would with Houston. Everyone in the b12 I think knows that which is why I think they're a lock.
Except last year when OU made the playoffs.

The ACC, Pac 12, SEC and the Big 10 each have their own conference network. Only the Big 12 lacks its own network. Why? Because of the Longhorn network.

The LHN is one of the biggest reasons Big 12 teams left the Big 12.

In no way, shape or form will any of the P5 conferences allow Texas in, while keeping the LHN. No way...and no way will ESPN offer Texas any incentive. Especially considering it's already losing big money with the LHN deal with Texas to begin with.

ESPN wants a Big 12 network. That's where it will make money, not the LHN. Guess what's standing in the way? That's right...The LHN contract with Texas. Years ago, the LHN looked like a good profit to be had. The only other network was the Big 10 network and it wasn't doing all that good.

Times have changed and conference networks have proven to be the money makers.

Big 12 expansion may help, but it doesn't look good. ESPN has lost millions so far on the LHN. Millions.

ESPN didn't want Texas and Oklahoma going to the PAC.

Unless Texas gives up its network, it is stuck in the Big 12, for better or worse.

It'll be a few years before we find out what will happen.

I still say, Texas will not give up what power it has and no way will any of the other P5 conferences allow it to come in and "poison" their leagues.

The ACC would be the closest exception, but with its new deal, I think that ship has sailed as well.

Last edited:
No way would Texas keep that kind of power. Especially in the SEC.

No way.

Pac 12, yes they absolutely would. SEC other than BAMA no one else carries their clout. Texas has more money and donors than anyone else in college sports.

Pac 12, yes they absolutely would. SEC other than BAMA no one else carries their clout. Texas has more money and donors than anyone else in college sports.

They would not get to keep the LHN..... no way. The SEC nor the PAC would let them keep it either.

The only power Texas has and always will is its income. It would not get special treatment in the SEC or the PAC. Not by the conferences or ESPN.

SEC and PAC conference members wouldn't allow it.

No one will bow to Texas anymore....Except, of course, for the Big 12. All other P5 conferences have no reason to bow to Texas. Texas has no bargaining power. Not the kind it thinks it has anyway. Those days are gone. If it leaves the Big 12, it will no longer have a throne.

They would not get to keep the LHN..... no way. The SEC nor the PAC would let them keep it either.

The only power Texas has and always will is its income. It would not get special treatment in the SEC or the PAC. Not by the conferences or ESPN.

SEC and PAC conference members wouldn't allow it.

No one will bow to Texas anymore....Except, of course, for the Big 12. All other P5 conferences have no reason to bow to Texas. Texas has no bargaining power. Not the kind it thinks it has anyway. Those days are gone. If it leaves the Big 12, it will no longer have a throne.

Time will tell but that's like saying if BAMA left the sec they would suddenly lose any clout they have. In the end it's still BAMA and Texas is still Texas.

Time will tell but that's like saying if BAMA left the sec they would suddenly lose any clout they have. In the end it's still BAMA and Texas is still Texas.

I'm not saying Texas will lose clout. I'm saying ESPN will not cater to Texas if they were to attempt to move. Neither will any other P5 conference. Texas would NOT get any special treatment over any other team within the conference, like it is currently getting in the Big 12.

Its special treatment is what caused the breakups in the Big 12. No other P5 conference will let anything like that happen.

Alabama doesn't get any special treatment in the SEC. Everything is equal in the SEC. Alabama, like Texas and other elites, has an advantage of recruiting, donors and being an elite. The SEC doesn't give it special treatment.

As it stands, Texas would lose money if it left the Big 12, because it wouldn't get to keep its LHN contract with ESPN.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT