ADVERTISEMENT

Biff is starting a commission to address that boogeyman we call vaccines

bamaEER

All-American
May 29, 2001
5-time pickem champ
Why does the entire freaking world have to take 20 steps backward to let him get caught up on sciency things like vaccine safety? Medical community refuted the 'vaccines cause autism' theory long ago. But no, Biff doesn't believe doctors and scientists and instead is going to waste taxpayer money and reinvent the wheel. He even said he wants smaller doses delivered over a longer period of time, as if he understands immunology. Antigen recognition doesn't work that way. It's like saying, light the grill, but use a smaller match. He's such a know-nothing know-it-all.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/donald-trump-meets-with-vaccine-skeptic-robert-kennedy-jr/

Why does the entire freaking world have to take 20 steps backward to let him get caught up on sciency things like vaccine safety? Medical community refuted the 'vaccines cause autism' theory long ago. But no, Biff doesn't believe doctors and scientists and instead is going to waste taxpayer money and reinvent the wheel. He even said he wants smaller doses delivered over a longer period of time, as if he understands immunology. Antigen recognition doesn't work that way. It's like saying, light the grill, but use a smaller match. He's such a know-nothing know-it-all.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/donald-trump-meets-with-vaccine-skeptic-robert-kennedy-jr/

Listen bama.... listen.... I know these things... these vackscenes.... I know these things.... have you heard this? Be-leeb-me.... I talk to all the important science people... the ones in the white coats.... and let me tell you.... people who know me know I know these things.... and they'll tell you that we need to really focus.... you know... because these people.... they tell me these things... and you've heard them tell us before.... riiiight.... so yeah.... we're gonna do this thing..... and then we're gonna build a wall..... and guess who's gonna pay for it..... Be-leeb-me.....

Listen bama.... listen.... I know these things... these vackscenes.... I know these things.... have you heard this? Be-leeb-me.... I talk to all the important science people... the ones in the white coats.... and let me tell you.... people who know me know I know these things.... and they'll tell you that we need to really focus.... you know... because these people.... they tell me these things... and you've heard them tell us before.... riiiight.... so yeah.... we're gonna do this thing..... and then we're gonna build a wall..... and guess who's gonna pay for it..... Be-leeb-me.....
You are a gem.

Maybe. But he will be President in a few days. :)

Making American Great Again!

hillary-clinton-staircase-600.jpg

WATCH--Hillary-Clinton-Falls-Boarding-Plane-In-2011-_VIDEO.jpg

Hillary-clinton-fall-9-11-memorial-health-crisis-video-pp.jpg

images

Getting better with each attempt. Well done

I believe that Robert, I'm not on drugs right now, Kennedy, Jr said he was being asked to head a commission. Right after that, the Trump admin said no such thing was made. A kennedy is usually not a good source of factual info. Too much incest and drug use.

Make Diseases Great Again elections have grave consequences

I believe that Robert, I'm not on drugs right now, Kennedy, Jr said he was being asked to head a commission. Right after that, the Trump admin said no such thing was made. A kennedy is usually not a good source of factual info. Too much incest and drug use.
Kudos to Trump if he backs away from this nonsense, but let's not pretend he hasn't ran on the side of nutbags in this area.

Reactions: EEResistable
Kudos to Trump if he backs away from this nonsense, but let's not pretend he hasn't ran on the side of nutbags in this area.

I've always thought this was a liberal position but I can't really say it's one side or the other. Just people thinking that there is someone to blame because their child has autism.

I've always thought this was a liberal position but I can't really say it's one side or the other. Just people thinking that there is someone to blame because their child has autism.
We should try to stop categorizing issues as liberal or conservative. You want business to do their thing....same with science.

You calling Jenny McCarthy crazy too!!?!
jenny-mccarthy-tweets-picture-of-former-211lbs-pregnant-body.jpg

I know it's tough but when hysteria rules and science takes a back seat,it is a loss. Just like trial lawyers and silicone breast implants. They put Dow Corning division out of business over hysteria. Those implants didn't cause a problem and the medical profession proved it but lawsuits were awarded based on disfigurement and not science.

I thought that he'd also address the communist plot that is water fluoridation but he's obviously a russian spy so he'll let that continue.

I know it's tough but when hysteria rules and science takes a back seat,it is a loss. Just like trial lawyers and silicone breast implants. They put Dow Corning division out of business over hysteria. Those implants didn't cause a problem and the medical profession proved it but lawsuits were awarded based on disfigurement and not science.
There's no harm from leaking silicone implants?

There's no harm from leaking silicone implants?

Actually, no. If you go to the research, people with silicone implants got the "diseases" in the lawsuit at the same rate as women who did not have implants. Therefore, silicone implants did not cause it. 60 minutes did a segment on that and the head of the AMA went through the data. Do you remember John Edwards suing docs saying that forcep delivery caused cerebral palsy? Won a big judgement because the jury didn't use the science where it was proven it didn't. Just because someone didn't like that they were going to have to take care of their child isn't a reason to award a large settelement. Since I am a dentist, do you remember Kimberely Bergalis testifying that she got Aids from her dentist? Well, 60 mins did another segment after she died and found that her aids was not related to the aids that her dentist had. She really wasn't the clean person she claimed to be.Dentistry was compltely changed over a lie.

Actually, no. If you go to the research, people with silicone implants got the "diseases" in the lawsuit at the same rate as women who did not have implants. Therefore, silicone implants did not cause it. 60 minutes did a segment on that and the head of the AMA went through the data. Do you remember John Edwards suing docs saying that forcep delivery caused cerebral palsy? Won a big judgement because the jury didn't use the science where it was proven it didn't. Just because someone didn't like that they were going to have to take care of their child isn't a reason to award a large settelement. Since I am a dentist, do you remember Kimberely Bergalis testifying that she got Aids from her dentist? Well, 60 mins did another segment after she died and found that her aids was not related to the aids that her dentist had. She really wasn't the clean person she claimed to be.Dentistry was compltely changed over a lie.
Since you didn't specifically address leaking implants I'll move on.

Bullshit. This hits home with me. You absolutely don't know what you are talking about as it pertains to faulty breast implants. But it s consistent with most if your posts.

Bullshit. This hits home with me. You absolutely don't know what you are talking about as it pertains to faulty breast implants. But it s consistent with most if your posts.
Got the wife some bolt-ons huh? Good for you.

Were they built for speed or pleasure?

Wife has been thinking about it as well, more of just resetting her back to the pre-kid phase of perkiness.

Reactions: WVUCOOPER
Google does breast implants cause autoimmune diseases? You will be surprised at what real medical research says. Silicone has been studied for over 3 decades and does not cause autoimmune disease. It is the same thing that autism people have said about vaccines.

Google does breast implants cause autoimmune diseases? You will be surprised at what real medical research says. Silicone has been studied for over 3 decades and does not cause autoimmune disease. It is the same thing that autism people have said about vaccines.
Google the fda.gov website on silicone breast implants and learn there are many issues discovered. Do research on the many lawsuits on it. You are being very selective on your very broad initial assertion which is dead wrong. Period.

Since you didn't specifically address leaking implants I'll move on.

Please go look up real research, just type in what you want to know but don't look at Huffington Post or anything that isn't a scientific publication, use real medical research that looks at the true results. Silicone does not cause arthritis, automimmune diseases, etc. Make sure you look at real research papers. I just googled it and found several articles. I remember the episode with 60 mins and the head of the aMA, she said definitely there was no linked results. Hysteria is not a cause.

Google the fda.gov website on silicone breast implants and learn there are many issues discovered. Do research on the many lawsuits on it. You are being very selective on your very broad initial assertion which is dead wrong. Period.

Lawsuits are not settled on science and that is where you are mistaken. The silicone was settled on hysteria not science. Again, look at other research articles, too.

Risk of Connective Tissue Disorders among Breast Implant Patients
https://doi.org/10.1093/aje/kwh272
Published:

01 October 2004

Issue Section:
ORIGINAL CONTRIBUTIONS
Received for publication December 12, 2003; accepted for publication April 15, 2004.

Considerable controversy has surrounded the long-term safety of silicone breast implants. Concerns regarding cancer risk have centered around breast cancer, hematopoietic malignancies, and sarcomas (brinton@nih.gov).

TABLE 1.
Relative risk of self-reported connective tissue disorders and other conditions among patients with breast implants in comparison with other plastic surgery patients, southeastern United States, 1960–1996

Condition* No. of implant patients (n = 7,234) (87,199 person-years) No. of comparison patients (n = 2,138) (23,724 person-years) Relative risk† 95% confidence interval
Connective tissue disorders 351 62 2.0 1.5, 2.8
Rheumatoid arthritis 258 49 1.9 1.4, 2.7
Scleroderma 23 3 3.0 0.8, 10.9
Systemic lupus erythematosus 72 10 2.1 1.1, 4.2
Sjögren’s syndrome 43 2 11.7 2.5, 54.9
Other conditions
Other arthritis 724 201 1.3 1.1, 1.6
Raynaud’s phenomenon 97 10 2.6 1.3, 5.1
Fibromyalgia 311 57 1.3 0.9, 1.7
Vasculitis 21 4 1.4 0.5, 4.6
Chronic fatigue syndrome 246 27 2.4 1.6, 3.6
Multiple sclerosis 26 5 0.7 0.2, 1.9
Other disorders 202 24 2.5 1.6, 3.9
* Conditions are not mutually exclusive.

† Adjusted for age at follow-up (5-year intervals through age 85 years), calendar period of follow-up (1960–1964, …, 1990–1994, 1995–1996), and race (White or Black).

TABLE 2.
Relative risk* of self-reported connective tissue disorders and other conditions among patients with breast implants in comparison with other plastic surgery patients, by period of diagnosis, southeastern United States, 1960–1996

Condition Period of diagnosis
Before 1992 During or after 1992
No. of cases observed† RR‡ 95% CI‡ No. of cases observed† RR 95% CI
Connective tissue disorders 185 1.7 1.2, 2.5 166 2.6 1.6, 4.1
Rheumatoid arthritis 145 1.9 1.2, 3.0 113 2.0 1.2, 3.3
Scleroderma 13 2.6 0.5, 13.6 10 2.3 0.3, 18.2
Systemic lupus erythematosus 29 0.9 0.4, 2.1 43 5.9 1.4, 24.6
Sjögren’s syndrome 12 12.1 1.1, 134 31 10.1 1.4, 75.2
Other conditions
Other arthritis 397 1.3 1.0, 1.6 327 1.3 1.0, 1.6
Raynaud’s phenomenon 47 1.8 0.7, 4.8 50 3.1 1.2, 8.1
Fibromyalgia 156 0.9 0.6, 1.4 155 1.9 1.2, 3.0
Vasculitis 10 2.6 0.3, 22.0 11 1.3 0.4, 5.1
Chronic fatigue syndrome 123 1.9 1.1, 3.2 123 3.3 1.7, 6.3
Multiple sclerosis 10 0.6 0.2, 2.2 6 0.6 0.1, 3.1
Other disorders 82 1.4 0.8, 2.6 120 3.6 1.9, 7.0
* Adjusted for age at follow-up (5-year intervals through age 85 years), calendar period of follow-up (1960–1964, …, 1990–1994, 1995–1996), and race (White or Black).

† Number of breast implant patients with the disorder.

‡ RR, relative risk; CI, confidence interval.

TABLE 3.
Relative risk* of self-reported connective tissue disorders and other conditions among patients with breast implants in comparison with other plastic surgery patients, according to various time parameters of initial implantation, southeastern United States, 1960–1996

Condition Age (years) at initial implantation Calendar year of initial implantation No. of years since initial implantation
<30 30–34 35–39 ≥40 <1975 1975–1979 1980–1984 ≥1985 <5 5–9 10–14 ≥15
Connective tissue disorders 2.3 (94)† 2.0 (89) 3.9‡ (83) 1.8‡ (85) 1.3 (40) 2.2‡ (119) 2.1‡ (125) 2.1‡ (67) 1.6 (61) 1.9‡ (125) 3.9‡ (101) 1.5 (64)
Rheumatoid arthritis 1.9 (68) 4.0 (63) 4.2‡ (68) 1.5‡ (59) 0.8 (27) 2.1‡ (100) 2.2‡ (86) 2.2‡ (45) 1.8 (43) 1.9‡ (91) 3.1‡ (74) 1.1 (50)
Scleroderma ∞ (3) 0.9 (7) ∞ (6) 3.3 (7) ∞ (2) 2.5 (4) 1.5 (11) ∞ (6) ∞ (4) 2.0 (13) ∞ (3) ∞ (3)
Systemic lupus 4.3 (28) 0.9 (20) 1.2 (6) 2.8‡ (18) ∞ (8) 3.9 (17) 2.8 (31) 1.2 (16) 1.2 (15) 1.6 (23) ∞ (25) ∞ (9)
Sjögren’s syndrome ∞ (9) ∞ (8) ∞ (12) 8.3‡ (14) 5.7 (5) ∞ (12) ∞ (16) 4.4 (10) ∞ (5) 5.5 (14) 8.3 (14) ∞ (10)
Other conditions
Other arthritis 1.8 (162) 1.4 (176) 1.5 (181) 1.2 (205) 2.3‡ (90) 1.4‡ (250) 1.2 (258) 1.2 (126) 1.6‡ (149) 1.0 (217) 1.4 (219) 1.8‡ (139)
Raynaud’s phenomenon 3.4 (37) 1.3 (20) 4.2 (24) 2.6 (16) ∞ (5) 2.5 (31) 1.5 (39) 10.8‡ (22) ∞ (27) 1.5 (32) 8.4‡ (28) 1.8 (10)
Fibromyalgia 1.3 (103) 1.0 (96) 1.3 (69) 1.4 (43) 3.4 (34) 1.3 (92) 1.0 (109) 1.7 (76) 1.0 (72) 1.3 (113) 1.2 (83) 3.5 (43)
Chronic fatigue syndrome 1.6 (97) 1.3 (59) 3.1 (47) 4.1‡ (43) ∞ (25) 1.5 (75) 1.7 (90) 4.4‡ (56) 2.4 (46) 1.9‡ (83) 1.7 (72) ∞ (45)
* Adjusted for age at follow-up (5-year intervals through age 85 years), calendar period of follow-up (1960–1964, …, 1990–1994, 1995–1996), and race (White or Black).

† Numbers in parentheses, number of breast implant patients with the disorder.

‡ 95% confidence interval excluded 1.0.

TABLE 4.
Results of two board-certified rheumatologists’ reviews of selected self-reports of rheumatoid arthritis, scleroderma, and Sjögren’s syndrome among patients with breast implants and other plastic surgery patients, southeastern United States, 1960–1996

Condition and rheumatologists’ assessment of diagnosis All patients Patients with breast implants Comparison patients
No. % No. % No. %
Rheumatoid arthritis (n = 114)* (n = 97) (n = 17)
Likely 20 17.5 16 16.5 4 23.5
Unlikely 80 70.2 69 71.1 11 64.7
Unassessable 13 11.4 12 12.4 1 5.9
No consensus 1 0.9 0 0.0 1 5.9

Scleroderma (n = 8) (n = 7) (n = 1)
Likely 2 25.0 2 28.6 0 0.0
Unlikely 2 25.0 2 28.6 0 0.0
Unassessable 4 50.0 3 42.9 1 100.0

Sjögren’s syndrome (n = 20) (n = 19) (n = 1)
Likely 6 30.0 6 31.6 0 0.0
Unlikely 7 35.0 7 36.8 0 0.0
Unassessable 7 35.0 6 31.6 1 100.0
* Number of medical records that were reviewed by the rheumatologists. In standard chi-squared testing, none of the tests for differences produced significant results.

TABLE 5.
Projections of the likely number of cases of connective tissue disorders in the patient population based on the number of reported cases assessed by rheumatologists to represent “likely” diagnoses, southeastern United States, 1960–1996

Condition Reported no. of cases % for which medical record was obtained % for which diagnosis was assessed as “likely” No. of likely cases identified* Projected likely no. of cases†
Rheumatoid arthritis, scleroderma, or Sjögren’s syndrome
Implant patients 310 39.7 19.5 24 60
Comparison patients 54 35.2 21.0 4 11
Relative risk 2.2 2.5 2.0
95% confidence interval 1.6, 3.0 0.8, 7.8 0.7, 5.4
Rheumatoid arthritis only
Implant patients 258 37.6 16.5 16 43
Comparison patients 49 34.7 23.5 4 11
Relative risk 1.9 1.9 1.3
95% confidence interval 1.4, 2.7 0.6, 6.2 0.5, 3.8
* Derived by multiplying the reported number of cases by the percentage of records obtained and the percentage of obtained records with diagnoses assessed as likely.

† Derived by multiplying the reported number of cases by the percentage of obtained records with diagnoses assessed as likely.

References
Brinton LA, Lubin JH, Burich MC, et al. Breast cancer following augmentation mammoplasty (United States).
Cancer Causes Control

;
:
–27.
Brinton LA, Lubin JH, Burich MC, et al. Cancer risk at sites other than the breast following augmentation mammoplasty.
Ann Epidemiol

;
:
–56.
McLaughlin JK, Nyren O, Blot WJ, et al. Cancer risk among women with cosmetic breast implants: a population-based cohort study in Sweden.
J Natl Cancer Inst

;
:
–8.
Mellemkjaer L, Kjoller K, Friis S, et al. Cancer occurrence after cosmetic breast implantation in Denmark.
Int J Cancer

;
:
–6.
Baldwin CM Jr, Kaplan EN. Silicone-induced human adjuvant disease?
Ann Plast Surg

;
:
–3.
Copeland M, Kressel A, Spiera H, et al. Systemic inflammatory disorder related to fibrous breast capsules after silicone implant removal.
Plast Reconstr Surg

;
:
–81.
Fock KM, Feng PH, Tey BH. Autoimmune disease developing after augmentation mammoplasty: report of 3 cases.
J Rheumatol

;
:
–100.
Marik PE, Kark AL, Zambakides A. Scleroderma after silicone augmentation mammoplasty: a report of 2 cases.
S Afr Med J

;
:
–13.
Okano Y, Nishikai M, Sato A. Scleroderma, primary biliary cirrhosis, and Sjögren’s syndrome after cosmetic breast augmentation with silicone injection: a case report of possible human adjuvant disease.
Ann Rheum Dis

;
:
–2.
Sahn EE, Garen PD, Silver RM, et al. Scleroderma following augmentation mammoplasty: report of a case and review of the literature.
Arch Dermatol

;
:
–202.
Sergott TJ, Limoli JP, Baldwin CM Jr, et al. Human adjuvant disease, possible autoimmune disease after silicone implantation: a review of the literature, case studies, and speculation for the future.
Plast Reconstr Surg

;
:
–14.
Spiera H, Kerr LD. Scleroderma following silicone implantation: a cumulative experience of 11 cases.
J Rheumatol

;
:
–61.
van Nunen SA, Gatenby PA, Basten A. Post-mammoplasty connective tissue disease.
Arthritis Rheum

;
:
–7.
Varga J, Schumacher HR, Jimenez SA. Systemic sclerosis after augmentation mammoplasty with silicone implants.
Ann Intern Med

;
:
–83.
Weiner SR, Paulus HE. Chronic arthropathy occurring after augmentation mammoplasty.
Plast Reconstr Surg

;
:
–92.
Burns CJ, Laing TJ, Gillespie BW, et al. The epidemiology of scleroderma among women: assessment of risk from exposure to silicone and silica.
J Rheumatol

;
:
–11.
Edworthy SM, Martin L, Barr SG, et al. A clinical study of the relationship between silicone breast implants and connective tissue disease.
J Rheumatol

;
:
–60.
Englert H, Joyner E, McGill N, et al. Women’s health after plastic surgery.
Intern Med J

;
:
–89.
Gabriel SE, O’Fallon WM, Kurland LT, et al. Risk of connective-tissue diseases and other disorders after breast implantation.
N Engl J Med

;
:
–702.
Giltay EJ, Bernelot Moens HJ, Riley AH, et al. Silicone breast prostheses and rheumatic symptoms: a retrospective follow up study.
Ann Rheum Dis

;
:
–6.
Goldman JA, Greenblatt J, Joines R, et al. Breast implants, rheumatoid arthritis, and connective tissue diseases in a clinical practice.
J Clin Epidemiol

;
:
–82.
Greenland S, Finkle WD. A retrospective cohort study of implanted medical devices and selected chronic diseases in Medicare claims data.
Ann Epidemiol

;
:

This is a real article from scientific literature. You can skim it and then do to the end. It brings real statistics into the discussion. Hysteria is not science. Just becasue you think something happened to you or your family, blind studies and eval of data will not support it. People get diseases whether they have implants or not. It's whether they increase for those with implants vs those without. Does not appear to be so, scientifically.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT