ADVERTISEMENT

Best jobs rankend in Big 12

Hey pal have you seen Miami's recruiting class lately? Did you happen to see Miami destroy WVU in the Bowl game. Do you actually think Richt would have come to WVU over Miami because you think WVU is a better job than Miami? Come on man!!!
I see why you and the Ohio State grad get along so well.

The bowl game has absolutely nothing to do with what the conversation was about. I have never seen two people put so much stock into one exhibition game that has nothing to do with the original topic.

Miami has the prestige factor over WVU because of past success. Is it a better job today? Tell me what you base that on? Recruiting?

I see why you and the Ohio State grad get along so well.

The bowl game has absolutely nothing to do with what the conversation was about. I have never seen two people put so much stock into one exhibition game that has nothing to do with the original topic.

Miami has the prestige factor over WVU because of past success. Is it a better job today? Tell me what you base that on? Recruiting?

Agree basically with you about minor Bowls being exhibition games but when WVU beat UGA and Oklahoma I didn't view those as exhibition games. Minor Bowl sure. To me Miami is a better job because of four main reason. Location, tradition, perception and recruiting. I don't know OSU. He's not a homer and posts the truth so sure I respect his posting. But I respect your posting as well so it should be about time 5-0 or the idiotic broad hijaks the thread.

I think LSU is a good job but i would'nt say its as good a job as ohio state. Im not sure how you could rate Okie state above michigan. Harbaugh makes 7 or 8 million and has been there what 2 years. Gundy makes 3.75 and has been there a decade. The michigan fight song is one of the most recognized in college sports I doubt most people would recognize Okie states if they heard it.

LSU and Ohio State are interchangeable between 2 and 3. I'll admit I gave LSU a slight edge because of conference.

Out of boredom I've decided to come up with a Top 25 Best Head Coach jobs. (Football) So what follows in my opinion are the Top 25 HC jobs.

1. Alabama
2. LSU
3. Ohio State
4. Texas
5. Oklahoma
6. Florida State
7. Oklahoma State
8. Michigan
9. Oregon
10. Notre Dame
11. Penn State
12. Nebraska
13. Clemson
14. Michigan State
15. South Carolina
16. Georgia
17. USC
18. Wisconsin
19. Auburn
20. West Virginia
21. Texas A&M
22. Miami
23. Louisville
24. Arkansas
25. Tennessee

I put a lot of emphasis on fan base and all time win/loss records followed by recruiting, name recognition, conference affiliation and athletic budget. But like all rankings similar to what I posted it's very subjective and opinion based. I tried to put it in order from most desirable down. I believe I have it very close to accurate maybe a few could be higher or lower.

If you are ranking this in terms of most attractive to coaches, all-time won/loss record isn't really relevant. Just because a team won a bunch of games 50 years ago doesn't mean it's a good coaching job now. Minnesota is a good example. Historically, they have 3 or 4 national championships, and have a good won/loss record. However, they haven't been relevant since the 60s.

Taking your other criteria of fan base, name recognition, conference affiliation, and athletic budget, one big problem I see is Georgia. You have them all the way down at 16, directly behind Clemson, Michigan St, and South Carolina. Georgia leads all those schools in all your criteria, including all-time record. Ditto for Southern Cal, except maybe for conference payout in certain instances.

That also brings up another point. I have no idea how you can have Southern Cal at 17, and Oregon at 9. Southern Cal beats Oregon in all your criteria, by far.

Last edited:
Hey punish were would wvu's job be ranked in the sec, Big 10 ten or any other power five confernce for that matter?
I'm thinking WVU would be about the same in the PAC 12 below USC, Oregon, and Stanford. Maybe a notch better at #3 in the ACC below FSU and Clemson. Below in the SEC and Big 10. However, #1 in the old big east part 2 and definitely #1 in the AAC.

If you are ranking this in terms of most attractive to coaches, all-time won/loss record isn't really relevant. Just because a team won a bunch of games 50 years ago doesn't mean it's a good coaching job now. Minnesota is a good example. Historically, they have 3 or 4 national championships, and have a good won/loss record. However, they haven't been relevant since the 60s.

Taking your other criteria of fan base, name recognition, conference affiliation, and athletic budget, one big problem I see is Georgia. You have them all the way down at 16, directly behind Clemson, Michigan St, and South Carolina. Georgia leads all those schools in all your criteria, including all-time record. Ditto for Southern Cal, except maybe for conference payout in certain instances.

That also brings up another point. I have no idea how you can have Southern Cal at 17, and Oregon at 9. Southern Cal beats Oregon in all your criteria, by far.
Georgia is behind Clemson right now, that much is obvious. I can also see the other poster's rationale for ranking Oregon over USC, and I even live in SoCal.

Just throwing this out there in regards to Oregon, but if the Phil Knight's money dries up one day, to the Ducks stay relevant?

Georgia is behind Clemson right now, that much is obvious. I can also see the other poster's rationale for ranking Oregon over USC, and I even live in SoCal.

The rationale doesn't make sense. The other poster listed a specific set of criteria he used to rank the teams:

-fan base
-all-time record
-recruiting
-name recognition
-conference affiliation
-athletic budget

So let's see how these teams stack up, according to the stated criteria:

-fan base - Georgia over Clemson
-all time record - Georgia
-recruiting - Georgia
-name rec. - I'll give you Clemson here (for the sake of argument)
-conference - Georgia
-athletic budget - Georgia, by far

Now let's take the other case:

-fan base - Southern Cal over Oregon, by far
-all time record - Southern Cal, by far
-recruiting - Southern Cal
-name rec. - Southern Cal, by far
-conference -same
-athletic budget - basically even

Based on the stated criteria, the rankings don't match up at all.

The rationale doesn't make sense. The other poster listed a specific set of criteria he used to rank the teams:

-fan base
-all-time record
-recruiting
-name recognition
-conference affiliation
-athletic budget

-recruiting - Georgia
-conference - Georgia

-conference -same

You know what trumps all that stuff, topdeck? Clemson just made consecutive national-championship game appearances and is the reigning title-holder, having gone through the SEC's best program to do it. Georgia hasn't won even a conference title since 2005.

Some of the same factors work in Oregon's favor, too. The Ducks have been to two national-title games since USC last won the conference. The Trojans also aren't Nike University, Oregon is. Winning and money matter the most.

You know what trumps all that stuff, topdeck? Clemson just made consecutive national-championship game appearances and is the reigning title-holder, having gone through the SEC's best program to do it. Georgia hasn't won even a conference title since 2005.

Some of the same factors work in Oregon's favor, too. The Ducks have been to two national-title games since USC last won the conference. The Trojans also aren't Nike University, Oregon is. Winning and money matter the most.

But that's not what the other poster said. He listed specifically his criteria. You can't say, "This is my criteria," and then use completely different criteria to justify your result.

What happened to Georgia's 2005 sec championchip team in the Suger bowl?
I don't think they were expecting the brick wall they ran into

Last edited:
Reactions: GoWVU
But that's not what the other poster said. He listed specifically his criteria. You can't say, "This is my criteria," and then use completely different criteria to justify your result.
You didn't read his post thoroughly enough, topdeck. He simply said "I put a lot of emphasis on" the list of criteria. On its face, that also implies he emphasized other, unstated criteria when appropriate.

Nowhere did his post say it was a comprehensive, all-inclusive list or that no other criteria applied. Common sense will tell you winning is certainly among them. This is why he ranked Clemson above Georgia right now.

WVU has always been considered a good job in coaching. The most important factor is whether a coach can win at the school, and WVU is a place where you can win, and our last 4 coaches all have.

There are more prestigious jobs where winning isn't easy right now (Miami, Tennessee).

You didn't read his post thoroughly enough, topdeck. He simply said "I put a lot of emphasis on" the list of criteria. On its face, that also implies he emphasized other, unstated criteria when appropriate.

Nowhere did his post say it was a comprehensive, all-inclusive list or that no other criteria applied. Common sense will tell you winning is certainly among them. This is why he ranked Clemson above Georgia right now.
No, you didn't read carefully. He said
"I put a lot of emphasis on fan base and all time win/loss records followed by recruiting, name recognition, conference affiliation and athletic budget."

He put a lot of emphasis on the first two, followed by the others to a lesser extent.

To your argument, you aren't viewing this in the context of best coaching jobs. What you are describing is more of a traditional Top 25 ranking, in other words who is the most successful right now. Who is most successful right now and which are the best coaching jobs are two different things. The best coaching job is judged in the long-term, not the short term.

For example, Southern Cal vs. Oregon. If you're a coach, and you look at which school has pieces for long-term success, it's clearly Southern Cal. USC is a bigger school than Oregon. It has nearly double Oregon's enrollment. USC has a much larger fan/alumni base. USC is located in one of the biggest talent beds in the country. Oregon isn't. Even with Nike, Oregon doesn't make more money. The latest figures, from 2015, have Oregon and USC's athletic department revenue at $105 million each. Oregon depends on a single donor to get that level. USC doesn't. They have a much stronger foundation, with a deeper fan base. If you are a coach looking for all the ingredients for success (donor base, access to recruits, etc.), USC clearly has the advantage over Oregon.

So in other words, the school winning at the moment doesn't mean it's a better job overall. (By the way, at this moment, USC is 10-3 and Oregon is 4-8, so there's that.)

That game was the biggest roller coaster of emotions i've ever had watching a WVU game. We almost give the game away and then the fake punt.
we won and thats all that matters. The game was played in the georgia dome and we essentially beat the sec champion right in their back yard. That georgia team had 22 players that went on to play in the nfl.

I'm thinking WVU would be about the same in the PAC 12 below USC, Oregon, and Stanford. Maybe a notch better at #3 in the ACC below FSU and Clemson. Below in the SEC and Big 10. However, #1 in the old big east part 2 and definitely #1 in the AAC.

Number 3 in the ACC LOL. Some of you guys are delusional.

-fan base
-all-time record
-recruiting
-name recognition
-conference affiliation
-athletic budget

-recruiting - Georgia
-conference - Georgia

-conference -same

Welp I guess if you post it then it is obviously true. You're amusing!

I already posted my order. Miami, UNC and VaTech would be ahead of the WVU job by all non homers.
UNC and VaTech? Only a troll would rank those programs ahead of WVU. Your not a troll are you Greg? You said we could be as low as 10. Would you also put Duke, NC State, Wake Forest, BC, Georgia Tech, Syracuse, UVA or Pittsburg in front of WVU?

VT and WVU are basically even from a program history, series record, and fan base perspective.

I guess you could give VT a slight edge due to being in a regional conference and being located in a state with superior recruiting.

UNC - No way. Basketball school, doesn't give a shit about football.
Miami - Maybe. Both them and WVU have different strengths that make the job more attractive.

Reactions: Brookecountyeer
UNC and VaTech? Only a troll would rank those programs ahead of WVU. Your not a troll are you Greg? You said we could be as low as 10. Would you also put Duke, NC State, Wake Forest, BC, Georgia Tech, Syracuse, UVA or Pittsburg in front of WVU?

Dude it is Pittsburg with a H. Pittsburgh. You come off as kind of dumb.

Only a homer would put wvu over unc and vatech. Honestly I think most of those second tier jobs are the same. Leaving Pitt out of the discussion, to emotional for some of you guys to discuss, WVU is a much better job than the other programs you mentioned.

Changed my mind. So when hot Rod left what did WVU do? They went out and got an up and coming assistant. Makes sense for a middle of the pack program right? Guess what? They would probably do the same thing again today. Or go get a lower level hot shot head coach like most second tier programs do. What did Pitt do. They had a splash hire with Wanny. Hired a lower level hot shot head coaches in Hayward and Graham. And Pitt hired two hot shot assistants like Holgy. Not what Michigan, Bama and Ohio State do. Even Penn State hired a hot shot NFL assistant and then a hot up and coming head coach. What do think WVU would do now LOL. Take Franklin form PSU. Or take the VaTech coach. What would happen if WVU offered UNC coach 4 or 5 million. Think he thinks WVU is a better spot than UNC? LOL at your argument making WVU job more than it is.

All these second tier jobs are the same. The programs you listed are 3rd and 4th tier jobs. Minus Pitt of course. That's a second tier job.

Dude it is Pittsburg with a H. Pittsburgh. You come off as kind of dumb.

Only a homer would put wvu over unc and vatech. Honestly I think most of those second tier jobs are the same. Leaving Pitt out of the discussion, to emotional for some of you guys to discuss, WVU is a much better job than the other programs you mentioned.

Changed my mind. So when hot Rod left what did WVU do? They went out and got an up and coming assistant. Makes sense for a middle of the pack program right? Guess what? They would probably do the same thing again today. Or go get a lower level hot shot head coach like most second tier programs do. What did Pitt do. They had a splash hire with Wanny. Hired a lower level hot shot head coaches in Hayward and Graham. And Pitt hired two hot shot assistants like Holgy. Not what Michigan, Bama and Ohio State do. Even Penn State hired a hot shot NFL assistant and then a hot up and coming head coach. What do think WVU would do now LOL. Take Franklin form PSU. Or take the VaTech coach. What would happen if WVU offered UNC coach 4 or 5 million. Think he thinks WVU is a better spot than UNC? LOL at your argument making WVU job more than it is.

All these second tier jobs are the same. The programs you listed are 3rd and 4th tier jobs. Minus Pitt of course. That's a second tier job.
So you don't agree with yourself. This was a fair post. The others you come across as a stupid troll.

So you don't agree with yourself. This was a fair post. The others you come across as a stupid troll.

Always looking for a gutter fight 5-0. You really are pathetic sir. Plus you don't even make sense. No one likes you on your HB because you are a flippin retard. Prove me wrong! Count to 10!!!!

Reactions: tOSUGrad90
Always looking for a gutter fight 5-0. You really are pathetic sir. Plus you don't even make sense. No one likes you on your HB because you are a flippin retard. Prove me wrong! Count to 10!!!!
Good to see you take the high road only call me retard and stupid. Have a great night Greg.

Good to see you take the high road only call me retard and stupid. Have a great night Greg.

You are the single biggest D Bag on the entire internet. You should be proud of yourself. Like winning the lottery. Almost statically impossible but you defied the odds and won the D Bag Of The Year award!!! Congrats!

You are the single biggest D Bag on the entire internet. You should be proud of yourself. Like winning the lottery. Almost statically impossible but you defied the odds and won the D Bag Of The Year award!!! Congrats!
Thanks Greg. Coming from you, it means absolutely nothing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT