ADVERTISEMENT

Best college football team per state

Marshall has played 4 ranked teams since 2011 and surprise lost all 4 (1 of them WVU) Marshall has not played a ranked opponent in 50 straight games. WVU has played 20 ranked teams in that same time frame. Definitely alot of thought went into choosing Marshall over WVU. Honestly the only people in West Virginia who believe this are Marshall fans. Good for them.

Placing Marshall in front of WVU and Michigan in front of MSU makes this ranking a joke.

Placing Marshall in front of WVU and Michigan in front of MSU makes this ranking a joke.
What's the joke in placing Michigan in front of MSU? Do you not follow football? This is about 2016, not what has taken place in the 1960's. Michigan is ranked in the top 10 in pretty much every preseason poll, and returns pretty much everybody from last year's team. MSU lost quite a bit from last year, so I would say they got it right. Additionally, last I saw, the Herd was ranked #22 in 2013, and received more votes in the polls the previous three years. It is what it is.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
What's the joke in placing Michigan in front of MSU? Do you not follow football? This is about 2016, not what has taken place in the 1960's. Michigan is ranked in the top 10 in pretty much every preseason poll, and returns pretty much everybody from last year's team. MSU lost quite a bit from last year, so I would say they got it right. Additionally, last I saw, the Herd was ranked #22 in 2013, and received more votes in the polls the previous three years. It is what it is.

No way you went to Michigan! Didn't Michigan fire their coach a couple of years ago because they sucked? I mean the preseason poll this year is all you have for your argument. You make an argument that it's about 2016(I'll go back and see if you are even right about that) then you go back to 2013 and the last 3 years to justify Marshall ahead of WVU(total joke). I know if UM keeps JH they will be a top 5 program no doubt. But I took the piece as where the programs are. Let's see UM go into East Langsing and win before you act like you love UM because you moved there.

No way you went to Michigan! Didn't Michigan fire their coach a couple of years ago because they sucked? I mean the preseason poll this year is all you have for your argument. You make an argument that it's about 2016(I'll go back and see if you are even right about that) then you go back to 2013 and the last 3 years to justify Marshall ahead of WVU(total joke). I know if UM keeps JH they will be a top 5 program no doubt. But I took the piece as where the programs are. Let's see UM go into East Langsing and win before you act like you love UM because you moved there.
Concentrate. Best team per state...NOW. Not several years ago, not in the 1940's, not last year, but NOW.

Concentrate. Best team per state...NOW. Not several years ago, not in the 1940's, not last year, but NOW.

Concentrate retard! IMO, this is an opinion site to some degree retard, JH needs a couple more years to get his program past MSU. I hope you don't represent Marshall as a graduate. I can see why you root for UM. Marshall is basically a commuter school right?

Doc has actually stockpiled some talent. He very well may have the better team this year. The best thing about us no longer playing Marshall is that by the time they fielded a team that could/would beat us is that .... they can't play us!

Sooo .... Marshall loses even when they could beat us.

Concentrate retard! IMO, this is an opinion site to some degree retard, JH needs a couple more years to get his program past MSU. I hope you don't represent Marshall as a graduate. I can see why you root for UM. Marshall is basically a commuter school right?
I realize it's an opinion site, corky. I also know that UM is already better than MSU. Perhaps you should actually watch a football game and understand the sport prior to spouting off. I've read all of your posts, so I realize you're of the belief that you're smarter than everyone else, but that belief is not shared by anyone else.

Doc has actually stockpiled some talent. He very well may have the better team this year. The best thing about us no longer playing Marshall is that by the time they fielded a team that could/would beat us is that .... they can't play us!

Sooo .... Marshall loses even when they could beat us.

No way Marshall would beat WVU. Marshall will be lucky to go 8-4 in C-USA this year and WVU will likely go 8-4 in the Big 12. Not even a comparison.

No way Marshall would beat WVU. Marshall will be lucky to go 8-4 in C-USA this year and WVU will likely go 8-4 in the Big 12. Not even a comparison.

Good grief .... Doc has put together a much better team than the one that we were lucky to beat in Huntington just a few seasons ago.

I understand that its unthinkable to you that Doc has quite a few talented players. But he does and it is quite possible that if our teams played this year that mooyoo could line up and beat us.

Good grief .... Doc has put together a much better team than the one that we were lucky to beat in Huntington just a few seasons ago.

I understand that its unthinkable to you that Doc has quite a few talented players. But he does and it is quite possible that if our teams played this year that mooyoo could line up and beat us.

It's never happened before, why would it happen now? And Doc hasn't stock piled that much talent, Marshall isn't even picked to win the conference. They will finish 8-4 at best this year and even most of their fans would gladly take that record at this point.

It's never happened before, why would it happen now? And Doc hasn't stock piled that much talent, Marshall isn't even picked to win the conference. They will finish 8-4 at best this year and even most of their fans would gladly take that record at this point.

Nothing you say proves that WVU will field a better team this year than mooyoo. But I am pretty sure that Doc will have a better team than the one that had us beat a few years ago until it fumbled away the game in the last few minutes.

My guess is that you have blocked out that game from your mind.

I'm not saying that Marshall definitely has the better team. But it is nowhere near as far fetched of an idea as you make it.

And .... I find it hilarious that when mooyoo finally has a team that "might" be our equal, or better, they still lose because we refuse to play them.

For the record .... I'm one of those guys that would be happy to see the green thundercows lose every game.

Nothing you say proves that WVU will field a better team this year than mooyoo. But I am pretty sure that Doc will have a better team than the one that had us beat a few years ago until it fumbled away the game in the last few minutes.

My guess is that you have blocked out that game from your mind.

I'm not saying that Marshall definitely has the better team. But it is nowhere near as far fetched of an idea as you make it.

And nothing you say proves that Marshall would be able to beat WVU this year...it's all opinion. The difference is I have history on my side. Also, you're arguing a year in which Marshall is down, so if there's any year in the last three that Marshall probably couldn't beat WVU, it's this year.

On most years Wvu would have no problem beating Marshall but the very fact that we are having this conversation shows the image of the program isn't close to where it was a decade ago and that is disturbing in itself.

Reactions: GoWVU
On most years Wvu would have no problem beating Marshall but the very fact that we are having this conversation shows the image of the program isn't close to where it was a decade ago and that is disturbing in itself.

I think we've beaten them every time, but I don't disagree with your comment. They are still my Mountaineers!

We have beaten them every time and only one game was close

And their recruiting has vastly improved the last few years.

I am not in fact saying they are better. But it's not an open and shut case that they aren't.

Can't they take partial and non-qualifiers?

Anyway ... I think the joke is on Marshall. When it's possible they might have team that could line up with us ..... pffffft .... we blew them off a few seasons ago.

And their recruiting has vastly improved the last few years.

I am not in fact saying they are better. But it's not an open and shut case that they aren't.

Can't they take partial and non-qualifiers?

Anyway ... I think the joke is on Marshall. When it's possible they might have team that could line up with us ..... pffffft .... we blew them off a few seasons ago.

Wvu should beat Marshall every year. There are years where the games might be close. 2010 which was even though when you look at the talent differential it shouldn't have been and im sure Marshall would have had a really good chance to beat us in 2013. The fact that we are debating who is the best team in the state of West Virginia shows how far the perception of our program has fallen. Ten years ago at this time we where talking about competing for national championships and now where debating who's the best team is in the state. If that's the case then we have fallen into the abyss.

Reactions: GoWVU
I realize it's an opinion site, corky. I also know that UM is already better than MSU. Perhaps you should actually watch a football game and understand the sport prior to spouting off. I've read all of your posts, so I realize you're of the belief that you're smarter than everyone else, but that belief is not shared by anyone else.

Whatever Marshall goof. Go back to your community school board for more training. I'm obviously in your head. How's your Herd gonna do this year? On the other hand don't answer that question. It doesn't how your Herd does this year. A UM wannibee. LOL!

I didn't catch who the best program was in Texas. Must be Houston based on your interpretation. I mean Michigan has been schooled by MSU but still ahead of MSU. So obviously based on the preseason rankings this year Houston is the best program in Texas. Much better program than Texas and Texas A&M. Now I understand where you are coming from.

Last edited:
I'm from Pittsburgh. Is Marshall respected in West Virginia? Here we look at Marshall like a community school with a joke reputation from an academic standpoint. Is that the case? Is Marshall highly regarded or just a jealous step child?

Last edited:
I have no understanding of this thread.

I don't see a link to an article, or a cut and paste of anything. It looks like a thread that got posted here vs the Smack board. The OP has a video where CBS radio (are they still in business) is talking about the troubles of Geno Smith.

If this thread is just a question,

My answers (excluding the states like Nebraska, Missouri etc with only 1 school not worth summarizing,, etc as well as the D1AA states/schools like Delaware, Montana, etc ond Non P5 states/schools like Hawaii, Boise State) would be:
WVU
TOSU
Michigan State
Notre Dame
Northwestern
Temple
Navy
VPI
UNC
Clemson
UGA
FSU
Alabama
TCU
Oklahoma
Missouri
ASU
Oregon
Stanford
Colorado State
Washington State
Louisville
Tennessee
Mississippi
LSU

That sums it up
Btw I didn't forget BC or Cuse, but honestly they both are beyond bad right now in football and participate in the ACC- basketball conference
Btw2-I didn't forget about the Fighting Bill Snyders either. It's just that obvious though.

Last edited:
Say's nothing about programs but shouts loudly about fan base.

Says nothing about the fan base. Are you saying all of WVU's fan base lives in Morgantown? No, people graduate and move away just like Marshall fans. But keep grasping.

So you dont have Marshall fans in Huntington?

Of course there are Marshall fans in Huntington, but there are also WVU fans. Who's to say the heroin overdose people were all Marshall fans or even gave a rat's ass about any school. To look at a crime statistics and then say it reflects on the fan base of a school is ridiculous. I guess all the date rapes on WVU's campus reflects on the WVU fan base.

Of course there are Marshall fans in Huntington, but there are also WVU fans. Who's to say the heroin overdose people were all Marshall fans or even gave a rat's ass about any school. To look at a crime statistics and then say it reflects on the fan base of a school is ridiculous. I guess all the date rapes on WVU's campus reflects on the WVU fan base.
Is logic a prereq for any degree ay the moo?

Is logic a prereq for any degree ay the moo?

I wouldn't know...didn't go to Marshall nor am I a Marshall fan. I just think it's ridiculous in the middle of a discussion about who has a better football team for someone to post about heroin overdoses...how's that logical?

I wouldn't know...didn't go to Marshall nor am I a Marshall fan. I just think it's ridiculous in the middle of a discussion about who has a better football team for someone to post about heroin overdoses...how's that logical?
If you cannot see the logic how can I show it to you?

I am a WVU grad. I was born in Morgantown. I follow all about the Mountaineers (not Eers for G..'s sake). I donate...a lot. That said, WVU should play Marshall in signature sports every year. They are the only D1 state schools. Lack of support and downright loathing of Marshall by some WVU fans is sad and stupid. Oh I guessI forgot, Liberty, Georgia State, Georgia Southern etc are much more attractive. lol

Well, that certainly explains all I need to know. Sorry I picked on you.

Good one man! Marshall guy looking for friends on WVU site. You're truly pathetic man! Go back to your community college site herd boy. Dude I'm sorry for picking on you as well. God bless!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT