ADVERTISEMENT

Beilein's Replacement at Meatchicken is...

The entire search was horrible.

The current AD at Michigan was at UCONN when Kevin Ollie was hired. He admitted he made a mistake with Ollie. That is subjective.
The AD said he was going to hire a top level coach. Stevens isn't interested. Donovan can pretty much get any job he wants if he leaves OKC. Donovan pushes Shaka Smart because Donovan wants the Texas job.

They hire a firm who said Ed Cooley was the guy
Cooley turns then down and signs an extension.

The entire time Michigan has probably a Top 10 assistant on the staff. Luke Yaklich.
Truthfully the job should have went to Yaklich. Yaklich is probably leaving. Don't know about Richardson.
The Michigan search made UCLA look good. That was hard to do.

The entire search was horrible.

The current AD at Michigan was at UCONN when Kevin Ollie was hired. He admitted he made a mistake with Ollie. That is subjective.
The AD said he was going to hire a top level coach. Stevens isn't interested. Donovan can pretty much get any job he wants if he leaves OKC. Donovan pushes Shaka Smart because Donovan wants the Texas job.

They hire a firm who said Ed Cooley was the guy
Cooley turns then down and signs an extension.

The entire time Michigan has probably a Top 10 assistant on the staff. Luke Yaklich.
Truthfully the job should have went to Yaklich. Yaklich is probably leaving. Don't know about Richardson.
The Michigan search made UCLA look good. That was hard to do.
totally uninformed post. When you get a chance, please show legitimate link of where Cooley was offered the job. Michigan wasn't interested in the Texas coach, who is obviously overrated as a hoops coach. UCLA made multiple offers, many of which were nuts, came across as fools, and in no way did Michigan do the same. Time will tell if Howard was a bad selection or not. I expect Juwan will be able to get higher ranked recruits and he'll also put together a top notch staff. You sound bitter, TVZ/KC.

Nothing promotes a "climate of compliance" like a school hiring a guy who was directly involved in major infractions at that school when he was a player. Looking at you, too, Penny Hardaway.

totally uninformed post. When you get a chance, please show legitimate link of where Cooley was offered the job. Michigan wasn't interested in the Texas coach, who is obviously overrated as a hoops coach. UCLA made multiple offers, many of which were nuts, came across as fools, and in no way did Michigan do the same. Time will tell if Howard was a bad selection or not. I expect Juwan will be able to get higher ranked recruits and he'll also put together a top notch staff. You sound bitter, TVZ/KC.

Why would I be bitter?

Ed Cooley was offered the job.
Reason why he signed an extension. No offer means no leverage. The entire time the AD said he wanted a coach with experience. Juwan Howard was their last choice only above Yaklich. Plus Yaklich was a better choice. Couldn't even get that right.

Quit being what GregJacobs calls a homer.

Call it for what it is "A shit show"

Why would I be bitter?

Ed Cooley was offered the job.
Reason why he signed an extension. No offer means no leverage. The entire time the AD said he wanted a coach with experience. Juwan Howard was their last choice only above Yaklich. Plus Yaklich was a better choice. Couldn't even get that right.

Quit being what GregJacobs calls a homer.

Call it for what it is "A shit show"
He was not offered the job. End of story. Facts being, many coaches over time I flirted with other jobs, just to get their current employer to give them a raise. You know nothing about Michigan, so stop pretending to be an expert. Hell, you can't even keep your phony Texas fandom facts in order. Be careful what you google, homer.

Reactions: tOSUGrad90
He was not offered the job. End of story. Facts being, many coaches over time I flirted with other jobs, just to get their current employer to give them a raise. You know nothing about Michigan, so stop pretending to be an expert. Hell, you can't even keep your phony Texas fandom facts in order. Be careful what you google, homer.

The truth hurts.
Ed Cooley turned Michigan down.

This clown, TVZ, thinks he knows everything about every team. All it does is cut and paste information from news articles pretending it was his very own comment or thought process.

Reactions: Rootmaster
Meanwhile, back to news about WVU sports.

Huggins' return to glory plans?
Brown's impact on WVU football?

Those are the things I care about.

I appreciate what Beilein did for WVU. I hope he does a great job with my Cleveland Cavs.

Beyond that, I begin to nod off.

Reactions: Phil
If Michigan wanted him, they would have got him. Don't be foolish, KC. Michigan is now out of WVU coaches, so you can stop following their every move.

Things don't work like that.
The Michigan basketball job is not that good. More coaches have failed than won in recent years.
Beilein is the first coach who won there since Steve Fisher.

I don't think Cooley deserved to be the first man up. At the end of the day..
The Michigan search was far worse than UCLA.
At least UCLA got a coach who is a proven winner. Unlike Michigan every coach at UCLA makes the Sweet 16. They just have unrealistic expectations.
Michigan on the other hand is only as good as the coach.

Should go back to just being a Marshall fan.

Things don't work like that.
The Michigan basketball job is not that good. More coaches have failed than won in recent years.
Beilein is the first coach who won there since Steve Fisher.

I don't think Cooley deserved to be the first man up. At the end of the day..
The Michigan search was far worse than UCLA.
At least UCLA got a coach who is a proven winner. Unlike Michigan every coach at UCLA makes the Sweet 16. They just have unrealistic expectations.
Michigan on the other hand is only as good as the coach.

Should go back to just being a Marshall fan.
Since you're only as good as the first article that pops up on your search engine, perhaps I can help. UM reached out to several so-called big names, just to get a feel as to their level of interest. Both were NBA coaches, who left college jobs for the NBA. Neither wanted to return to college coaching. UM interviewed internal candidates, but neither was what they were wanting. UM then lined up three interviews on consecutive days, and Cooley's took place on Monday. The UM AD had flown down to Miami shortly after the Cooley interview, as he had lined up Howard on Tuesday. Cooley was not offered, but out of fear of losing him, Providence took the bait and gave him a raise and an extended contract. The Howard interview took place, and he knocked it out of the park. Look for LeBron's son to commit to UM for the 2023 season.

Additionally, UM has played in the national title game twice out of the last six years. I also realize they've schooled Texas a few times in recent years, and I'm sorry the Horns couldn't compete on the national stage.

Since you're only as good as the first article that pops up on your search engine, perhaps I can help. UM reached out to several so-called big names, just to get a feel as to their level of interest. Both were NBA coaches, who left college jobs for the NBA. Neither wanted to return to college coaching. UM interviewed internal candidates, but neither was what they were wanting. UM then lined up three interviews on consecutive days, and Cooley's took place on Monday. The UM AD had flown down to Miami shortly after the Cooley interview, as he had lined up Howard on Tuesday. Cooley was not offered, but out of fear of losing him, Providence took the bait and gave him a raise and an extended contract. The Howard interview took place, and he knocked it out of the park. Look for LeBron's son to commit to UM for the 2023 season.

Additionally, UM has played in the national title game twice out of the last six years. I also realize they've schooled Texas a few times in recent years, and I'm sorry the Horns couldn't compete on the national stage.

Michigan went 10 years without a NCAA Appearance.
Most P5 schools at their high point can compete for Final 4 appearances.
Difference is Michigan doesn't have the consistently.
Texas has what every coach dreams about.
Average to low pressure to win and still have the ability to get top recruits.
Texas has the 4th most players in the NBA and has the second highest amount of any school in current NBA contracts.

We will all see if Michigan made the right choice.
Funny how they hire someone the same day Cooley turns them down and Cooley gets an extension.
Common sense says Michigan is trying to save face.

Funny how they hire someone the same day Cooley turns them down and Cooley gets an extension.
Common sense says Michigan is trying to save face.
If you had any sense at all, much less common sense, you would have to wonder what the Michigan AD is doing on South Beach interviewing a potential coach, if, the same AD had already offered the job to someone else.

Can you add 1 + 1, Corky?

If you had any sense at all, much less common sense, you would have to wonder what the Michigan AD is doing on South Beach interviewing a potential coach, if, the same AD had already offered the job to someone else.

Can you add 1 + 1, Corky?

The entire time the AD stated he wanted someone with head coaching experience.
That is not Howard. As much as you wish this to be true it is not.
Cooley already told Michigan he wasn't interested prior to the AD meeting with Howard.
If Cooley was formally offered the job doesn't matter. You can claim he was not all you want but it doesn't change the facts that Cooley agreed to an extension before Michigan hired Howard.
Cooley said himself that he is removing his name from the Michigan job.

Cooley said himself that he is removing his name from the Michigan job.
So, now you're finally on the side of admitting that it was Cooley who was saving face. UM AD wanted to hire someone good. He did.

Cooley saved face with his team, his school, his community. Look at it this way. Had he not pulled a Bob Pruett, and publicly withdrawn his name from consideration, and simply not been offered the job (as he wasn't), then it would had made him look like a clown, and he wouldn't have gotten a pay raise. This happens all the time, and of course, you know it does.

So, now you're finally on the side of admitting that it was Cooley who was saving face. UM AD wanted to hire someone good. He did.

Cooley saved face with his team, his school, his community. Look at it this way. Had he not pulled a Bob Pruett, and publicly withdrawn his name from consideration, and simply not been offered the job (as he wasn't), then it would had made him look like a clown, and he wouldn't have gotten a pay raise. This happens all the time, and of course, you know it does.

Why would Cooley have to save face?

You are out there, brother

If Michigan wanted him, they would have got him. Don't be foolish, KC. Michigan is now out of WVU coaches, so you can stop following their every move.

We have a couple assistant coaches you can have. Please take them.

Why would Cooley have to save face?

You are out there, brother
Why? Because he tried to leave his current employer and team. He tried, but failed. To save face, he pulled a Pruett, and told the homies he had withdrawn from consideration because in less than 16 hours, he somehow fell back in love with his current employer, i.e., he used the Michigan interview opportunity to get himself a raise. As I said, it happens all the time. Remember Rich Rodriguez? How many times did he pull the same stunt, prior to WVU getting tired of the games?

Why? Because he tried to leave his current employer and team. He tried, but failed. To save face, he pulled a Pruett, and told the homies he had withdrawn from consideration because in less than 16 hours, he somehow fell back in love with his current employer, i.e., he used the Michigan interview opportunity to get himself a raise. As I said, it happens all the time. Remember Rich Rodriguez? How many times did he pull the same stunt, prior to WVU getting tired of the games?

Where is his leverage to renegotiate.
If Howard was the #1 target and Cooley was someone they interviewed he wouldn't have had the leverage to get a raise.
The leverage has to be Michigan. Without the chance of Cooley leaving there wouldn't have been an extension that quickly.

Michigan has a far superior academic reputation than Texas....its a true Public Ivy, unlike wannabe Texas.

I just felt that needed to be said.

Looks bad for Michigan basketball...
So in the end Cleveland gets your HC and Texas gets your best assistant.

Luke Yaklich is an interesting guy.
Like some of his concepts plus he is the first assistant or head coach that comes to an interview with his wife.
I guess he wanted to make sure his wife was comfortable with Austin.

And Luke Yaklich will be Texas new HC after they fire Smart at the end of the season.

translation: I have nothing else.
Nuh, sorry bro, but I have plenty of other places to go, and things I could be doing. In fact, I'm actually down in the hills of WV for a few days. Just got finished a couple hours ago with a hell of a hike in the New River Gorge National Park. Almost got my breath back, so meeting a few friends over at Bridge Haven shortly for some beers and golf.

Now, if you don't care for my legitimate sports takes, and no longer want me to frequent what is apparently YOUR forum, then all it requires is for you to kindly ask me to stop posting, and I'll take my talents to South Beach. I don't do what I do for self pleasure, dude. I'm only here to teach, and provide insights.

Nuh, sorry bro, but I have plenty of other places to go, and things I could be doing. In fact, I'm actually down in the hills of WV for a few days. Just got finished a couple hours ago with a hell of a hike in the New River Gorge National Park. Almost got my breath back, so meeting a few friends over at Bridge Haven shortly for some beers and golf.

Now, if you don't care for my legitimate sports takes, and no longer want me to frequent what is apparently YOUR forum, then all it requires is for you to kindly ask me to stop posting, and I'll take my talents to South Beach. I don't do what I do for self pleasure, dude. I'm only here to teach, and provide insights.

This post was obviously meant to convince yourself, and not us.

I hope you feel validated, but you're choosing to be an interloper - which says it all.

Your "friends" (wink, wink) at "Bridge Haven" probably don't want you hanging around either...

Reactions: Rootmaster
This post was obviously meant to convince yourself, and not us.

I hope you feel validated, but you're choosing to be an interloper - which says it all.

Your "friends" (wink, wink) at "Bridge Haven" probably don't want you hanging around either...
stay in your lane, Star Wars geek

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT