ADVERTISEMENT

BBQ Sauce?

WVRON

All-American
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Morgantown, WV
What's your favorite store bought sauce and post a your favorite recipe of your home made sauce.

I used to be a Sweet Baby Rays guy but lately I've been digging the Famous Dave's sauce. Stubbs also has some tasty sauces. Below is the recipe for my favorite home made vinegar based sauce. Goes great with pulled pork:

1 quart apple cider vinegar
1 cup water
1/8 cup red pepper flakes
1/4 cup sugar
1 Tabkespoon Worcestershire
1 Tablespoon kosher salt
1 Tablespoon black pepper
1 (16 ounce) bottle of ketchup

In a large saucepan mix all ingredients in order given and simmer over low heat for 30 minutes.

I'd love to find a good KC style sauce. I usually prefer the ones a little sweet with a little heat.

Reactions: Brookecountyeer
What's your favorite store bought sauce and post a your favorite recipe of your home made sauce.

I used to be a Sweet Baby Rays guy but lately I've been digging the Famous Dave's sauce. Stubbs also has some tasty sauces. Below is the recipe for my favorite home made vinegar based sauce. Goes great with pulled pork:

1 cup water
1/4 cup sugar
1 Tablespoon kosher salt

In a large saucepan mix all ingredients in order given and simmer over low heat for 30 minutes.

I'd love to find a good KC style sauce. I usually prefer the ones a little sweet with a little heat.

For a store bought sauce I like KC Master piece or stubs. Stubs also as some great rubs.

I've never made a home made BBQ sauce. I'll give that recipe a try Ron.

KC Masterpiece, Stubbs, Sweet Baby Rays and Cattlemans Classsic KC Master

If you want something different and I say again, different, try this. Been making this for over twenty years. Very good on ribs and brisket..expensive but a little goes a long way..

• 1 (17 ounce) jar Major Grey chutney

• 1 (14 ounce) bottle Heinz ketchup

• 1 (10 fluid ounce) bottle A1 steak sauce
  • 1 (10 fluid ounce) bottle Lee & Perrins Worcestershire sauce

• 1 (12 ounce) bottle Heinz chili sauce

• 1 small bottle Tabasco.

Reactions: bornaneer
Good stuff, Ron. I smoked a pork shoulder on Friday but just had some Sweet Baby Ray's on hand. Tried your recipe tonight with leftovers, and enjoyed it.

qQ0Gwz2.jpg

PFyfsIP.jpg

NoLrl5F.jpg

Reactions: Brookecountyeer
Good stuff, Ron. I smoked a pork shoulder on Friday but just had some Sweet Baby Ray's on hand. Tried your recipe tonight with leftovers, and enjoyed it.

qQ0Gwz2.jpg

PFyfsIP.jpg

NoLrl5F.jpg

You NAILED that one Mog! Looks fantastic! Glad you enjoyed the sauce.

If you want something different and I say again, different, try this. Been making this for over twenty years. Very good on ribs and brisket..expensive but a little goes a long way..

• 1 (17 ounce) jar Major Grey chutney

• 1 (14 ounce) bottle Heinz ketchup

• 1 (10 fluid ounce) bottle A1 steak sauce
  • 1 (10 fluid ounce) bottle Lee & Perrins Worcestershire sauce

• 1 (12 ounce) bottle Heinz chili sauce

• 1 small bottle Tabasco.

If you say it's good I'm making it! Thanks bro!

I've been using Sonnys sweet sauce for a while and really like it. It goes well with ribs for a sweet sauce. Hard to find here in VA but if you are the Caroline's you'll find it at any grocery store or you can buy at their restaurants

Wife and I are in the midst of moving so my recipes for my homemade sauces are packed up. Haven't smoked anything in a couple ofinths and am itching to get back into it.

Mog the Pulled pork looks great.

I tried this recipe over the weekend and enjoyed it. It's your typical think bbq sauce that's on the tangy side. It didn't have much heat at all, though. Next time I make it I'll put in more cayenne. I took a stick blender to it after it cooled down to smooth out the chunks of onion/garlic.

I also made this recipe, which is a pretty standard mustard bbq sauce. I like it with chicken.

I generally serve my pulled pork with 3 different sauces on the side. Unlike my sister, which serves a bunch more and makes them all (www.pigsflybbq.com). But I'm not in the business.

1. Bullseye -Easy to find, simple, traditional
2. Sticky Fingers Carolina Classic - South Carolina Mustard based
3. Eastern NC - that I make myself. Really simple one that works. One part Apple Cider vinegar, One part Worcestershire Sauce, and Texas Pete to taste.

After spending a lot of time with my smoker, and knowing that the sauce isn't the star, I want something simple.

This is a tangy/spicy sauce that I've been making for a couple years and will have at the first game.

Drunkle Joe’s Spicy BBQ sauce

• 1 medium chopped sweet onion
  • 4 minced garlic cloves
  • 1 diced jalapeno pepper
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 32-oz ketchup
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1 cup apple cider vinegar
  • 1/2 cup apple juice
  • 1/2 cup honey
  • 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
  • ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
Saute onion, garlic and jalapeno pepper in hot olive oil in hot oil until tender (about 5 minutes). Stir in all remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to low; simmer, stirring occasionally, 30 minutes. Can be refrigerated in an airtight container for 1 month.

I generally serve my pulled pork with 3 different sauces on the side. Unlike my sister, which serves a bunch more and makes them all (www.pigsflybbq.com). But I'm not in the business.

1. Bullseye -Easy to find, simple, traditional
2. Sticky Fingers Carolina Classic - South Carolina Mustard based
3. Eastern NC - that I make myself. Really simple one that works. One part Apple Cider vinegar, One part Worcestershire Sauce, and Texas Pete to taste.

After spending a lot of time with my smoker, and knowing that the sauce isn't the star, I want something simple.

COOL MAN raises his hand in agreement with Muskets on his selection of the Sticky Fingers mustard variety......one of my absolute favorites, as well.

1 cup water
1/4 cup sugar
1 Tablespoon kosher salt

@WVRON I'm having people over tomorrow and will use this as my vinegar sauce. Don't steer me wrong bro! 10lb butt on tonight for PP and two small birds on tomorrow for pulled chicken

Last edited:
@WVRON I'm having people over tomorrow and will use this as my vinegar sauce. Don't steer me wrong bro! 10lb butt on tonight for PP and two small birds on tomorrow for pulled chicken

I hope everyone liked it. Its a crowd pleaser when I serve it.

769DB34B-B514-46C8-B8CC-18A8855B7D08.jpg

FEB42CB3-DC07-4DEB-B924-213EEEF77CA3.jpg
I hope everyone liked it. Its a crowd pleaser when I serve it.
Sauce was great. Here's my butts and chickens just out of the smoker. Pulled pork was delicious; the chicken had a weird aftertaste that I can't figure out but everyone enjoyed it nonetheless. All in all a successful cook

Reactions: El~Scronko and Mog
I wish that I could find the recipe to the sauce Joey's used to make. I loved that stuff.

1 cup water
1/4 cup sugar
1 Tablespoon kosher salt

Call me crazy, but I like Kraft -- Spicy honey

Reactions: backcountry mounty
Seeing the pulled, chopped or chunk smoked pork looks fantastic.
Here's the eastern Carolina vinegar based sauce.
1 cup white vinegar
1 cup Apple Cider vinegar
1 tablespoon brown sugar
Teaspoon of crushed red pepper
Teaspoon of cayenne pepper
Teaspoon of salt
Teaspoon of pepper
Teaspoon or more of Louisiana Style hot sauce...Texas Pete, Frank's, etc.
Add all together, no cooking needed.
Make a day or 2 in advance for ingredients to blend.
Refrigerate, shelf life 2 months.
If you want Lexington style, add a tablespoon or more of ketchup.

This is a great site, wish we had one!
Good luck this season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT