Staff
May 29, 2001
Beyond The Sun
wvsports.com
BAYLOR FOOTBALL QUOTES

Oct. 12 – prior to West Virginia

HEAD COACH ART BRILES

Opening statement:
"Good afternoon. It was a good outing in Kansas. It's always tough - every time you go on the road it's just different. It feels different, you have to bring your own emotion as a football team; fortunately, we have a pretty mature team. We talked about how we'd have to come out and start fast and I think we did okay. Of course, they got the touchdown drive to come out and start the game, which added six minutes to the contest a little bit. It gave them some hope for a little while. But I thought our guys recovered well and we got out of there with a conference win and that's all we're after. Like I said, I didn't care how it happened, just had to happen. So we got a good conference win. We had a few people there and we appreciate those people being at the game. We need an outstanding crowd out there this Saturday at 11 a.m."

On Xavien Howard’s play and improvement this year:
"He's had some big plays for the last couple years, quite honestly. I can flash back to the pick against Kansas State last year. But he's a smart guy, a good guy and a great person. A very quality individual, a great player, a former high school quarterback. He's got good ball skills, and that's what usually a separating factor on the defensive side of the ball. If you can find a defensive back with good ball skills, they'll have the potential to make a lot of big plays for you because they're going to be around the ball a bunch. So I think that's kind of what separates him. His physical ability and his stature also. He's a big guy, probably a little over six-foot, right at 200 pounds. That's a big corner. That's what we're looking for and that's why he's our lockdown guy and he's done well the past few years."

On having the ability to give backups significant playing time the first few games:
"I think it's massive. Everyone talks about chemistry, another word I like to use is the word morale, but you need them both. You need great chemistry and you need great morale. I also think from a recruiting standpoint that guys can look at Baylor and they can say, 'hey, I might not be a starter, but I can play a quarter of a game.' You do that over a 12-game season and that's three full games. So that's not bad. That's pretty good, so I think it helps from that standpoint too. But like I've said, experience you can't buy. You have to feel it, taste it, touch it, and we're getting some guys with great experience".

On being one win away from bowl eligibility this early in the season:
"That's still our number one priority today. Our first two goals were to go undefeated in non-conference play and get bowl eligible. Then we go from there. So that's a huge, huge fact and it's something that we feel like we need to accomplish every year. That's something we never take lightly, and we're not there yet. We need to get to six and we'll have that opportunity this Saturday at 11 a.m. at McLane Stadium."

On if there is a mindset of revenge going into the West Virginia game this year:
"As silly as it sounds, revenge is not something that is really thrown into our vocabulary. I was asked that on the telephone call this morning, and if there's any revenge it needs to be on us. Are we going to blame them for beating us? The way we look at is that it's our fault, my fault. We didn't take care of business. They're supposed to try and beat us, that's everybody's goal every time they step on the field, and that's our goal every time we step on the field. They just did their job and we didn't do ours. That's what it comes down to every Saturday and we'll have the opportunity to do our job on Saturday."

On how this offensive line compares to past ones at Baylor:
"We've had some great players, some great players in our offensive line. I'd hate to single some guys out, but I can think of eight guys that flash through my mind that aren't with us now that have been with us. We've had some really, really good football players. As a unit, this might be one of the best, or maybe the best, but the clock is still early. We've played five games, not even halfway through the season, and really it feels like, to us, we haven't really gotten started. We haven't gone to that really passionate level yet, and that's something that we'll need to get to as a football team. I feel like we're getting there, and we've been there for spurts and maybe one game, but over the whole season, no. But I think when we get to that level, when we've got five guys playing from the inside-out with a passion and desire to be the best in America, then I think we have the skill level to be the best offensive line we've had collectively."

On recruiting QBs then moving them to different positions:
"I think it's kind of the way the game has evolved at the high school level. 20 years ago you look and everyone was putting their best guy at I-back on offense and maybe free safety on defense. Today, a lot of people with the spread offense are putting that guy at QB, the guy who can really move around and make plays, keep the ball alive. So I think the mindset has changed from high school which makes us have to change how we look at future recruits. A lot of times the best athlete at his school will be at QB in today's game. So that's where we start looking a lot of the time."

On how this team is different from last year's group at West Virginia:
"I don't know, time will tell. I think I can answer that better after Saturday. Because last year, going into this game, we felt pretty good. We were a 6-0 football team, we knew we were going into a hostile environment against a really good team because we had been up there in 2012 and we knew what the environment would be like regardless of the time the game started. We knew how the stadium would be, and we weren't disappointed. We felt good going in, but they just outplayed us. They out-coached us, they outplayed us, they did a better job that day than we did. We feel the same way this Saturday. We feel good going into the game and our job is to perform and coach once we get to it."

On offense posting massive numbers and comparing to past groups:
"I think we've got a chance to be pretty good. I think the thing that's helping us this year is definitely the defensive side of the ball. We felt like, going into the season, we'd be better defensively because we have nine guys back who have won a bunch of football games, so that equates to getting more touches offensively. If we get more touches on the offensive side of the ball, there's a probability that we're going to score touchdowns because of the people we have and our style of play. I think, once again, its early, as we know, but at this stage of the season, with the limited amount of reps that these guys have gotten, 47 reps on Saturday with the first team, we haven't fulfilled many football games, but I do know we're on pace to be pretty good."

On West Virginia and what to expect from them:
"They're really good. They're a really good football team. I think that goes without saying, they've done a good job ever since they were in the Big East, and ever since they've been in the Big 12. I think this will be their fourth season. They've just got good people. Their staff does a good job, Dana [Holgorsen], and [Tony] Gibson on the defensive side has really done a good job for them. They recruit Florida and east coast kids. When I was at Houston we recruited the east coast a little bit, and there were some big athletes up there, so they've got some big bodies that can move around. Offensively, you mentioned they have two really good running backs, and the quarterback is a big enough run threat that he adds that dimension to it. They've always been well-schemed and well-coached, well-schooled, and same thing this year, and the same thing defensively - just a really solid football team."

On what has made this season so special for Corey Coleman:
"I think just him being him. To us, it doesn't feel special, because this is kind of what you expect. Like I said, predictability is the most important ability. It's not like we're gasping and oooh-ing and ahh-ing when this stuff is happening because this is what we expect to happen, what he expects to happen, and I just think it's a tribute to him, it's a tribute to our running game, it's a tribute to our defense, and it's a tribute to our offensive line and Seth Russell."

On being ranked No. 2 and if it's significant to him at all at this point in the season:
"I was asked that earlier, and quite honestly, I probably don't look the same, but mentally I feel the same as I did in 2012 when we were unranked. We have to go do a job. I think it shows a great perception for our football program and this University and the Big 12, but other than that, as you mentioned, it's at the end that matters. We are proud that people noticed and respect us as a quality football team, I know we are proud of that."

On early kickoff time, and if he prepares any differently for them:
"I like getting up and playing. I've sat around hotel rooms until 8 p.m. It's hard on a jittery guy to begin with, so I like it. I like getting up and playing. Like I tell my players, it's 11 a.m. on the clock but 3 p.m. on the body. It's our job to make sure their bodies are hot and sweaty and ready at 11 a.m., and having a mature football team certainly helps in these situations. I think it's good, it allows them some time in the evenings with their families, and gives them a 4-6 hour window that you normally don't get during the season. We just need to make sure it's a happy window."

On the defense starting to play really well lately:
"Just the same thing. Mature guys playing hard, understanding the game, assignments. Just taking care of business. We like to think we can have a dominant factor across the board, and I think with our front defensively, it allows us to have a physical nature to us that we haven't been able to have the last 2-3 years. We have good people who have played a lot of snaps and really know what they're doing."

SETH RUSSELL, QB

On the team’s game plan for West Virginia:
"This year, we’re just going to have to stick to our game plan, and that’s score points. The defense will get a lot of stops like we know they will, and we’re just going to have to put a lot of points on that board and stay focused on what we can control."

On the offensive performance so far:
"Just with the people we have around and their experience, I would say it’s our best yet. Each year, we’re going to grow stronger. Next year, it’s going to be a totally different story. A bunch of the younger guys are going to step up and make big plays, so it’s a growing process. Each year you have to get better."

On shifting expectations year after year:
"They know the expectations. A couple of years before us they were just trying to get bowl eligible, and now our eyes are set on a national championship. The level has risen, and all of the guys are on the same page with it. They’re ready to get going. They’re not going to settle for anything less."

On the team’s performance against Kansas:
"That’s something that we were focusing on before we even got into the game, and that’s sit out the second half after making a statement in the first half. We wanted our younger guys to get experience, and that’s something we accomplished. This next week, we have to have another goal to set, and maybe that’s sit out after the first quarter. It’s always about going out to win, and anytime the younger guys can go out there and get experience is crucial."

On if the West Virginia game is a revenge game:
"Not really. Coach [Briles] said it best, it was an on us type deal. They played the game they were going to play and we kind of fell into what they were playing. This year we are going to have to stick to our plan and do what we do best, and that’s scoring points."

Thoughts on DB Xavien Howard:
"He’s just a tremendous athlete. He’s somebody that if the ball is in the air it’s either his or the other team isn’t going to come down with it. He’s a great guy, he’s humble, he’s a father so he has someone to fight for, someone he’s working for. A lot of guys on the team are fathers, and it just shows in their work ethic that they’re not going to let something like that get them down but it’s just going to be motivation. I’m actually locker mates with him. He’s right next to me, he’s always talking trash to me. Like, 'don’t throw my way or I’ll pick you off,' and you know, I’m like, 'we’ll see."

On how fun it is to work with the offensive weapons he has:
"It’s the same every week. You can’t pick one person to throw it to. Everybody is a lethal weapon, I guess to say. It’s kind of funny, we were watching the film on the game the other day, and the second teamers all got in. They’re all above 6-4, 6-5 -- tall receivers. If we lose one there is going to be another one to step in. Hopefully we don’t lose one but heaven forbid something happens we’ll have some guys step in."

On what to expect from West Virginia on Saturday:
"I’m expecting it’s going to be a tough game. They’re going to come out with a lot of energy. They’re coming off a tough loss against Oklahoma State and they’re going to try to prove themselves. Just like us, we have to prove ourselves every week. As long as we do what we do on offense, take what they’re going to give us. They’re probably going to take away the deep pass, that’s what Kansas did, they took away a lot of the deep passes. As long as we can keep hitting underneath passes and moving the ball and put points up on the board we should get the W."

On if it’s hard to be patient on drives where defenses are taking away deep throws:
"A little bit. The coaches like one hit drives. But that’s just something we have to grow with as an offense, being a little more methodical, I guess to say."

RYAN REID, DB

On the team’s 18-game home win streak:
"We are going to do everything it takes to keep that winning streak going. It means a lot to us and the program. For Baylor Nation it means a lot, so we want to keep it going and keep it alive."

On last year’s performance against West Virginia:
"Last year, I was in so much pain and I was still out there playing. After the game, I didn’t even sit down in my seat. I just laid down in the aisle. I feel like I left some plays out there on the field, so this year I’m striving for perfection. I’m going to have to make those plays. I don’t have any pain to worry about. I’m 100 percent now. I’m ready to go."

COREY COLEMAN, WR

On Seth Russell:
"He's been doing great. I'm so proud of that dude. He's been doing everything that the coaches ask him to, and he's doing it at a really high level."

On getting revenge vs. West Virginia:
"It's important for us to defend our home turf. When anyone steps foot in Waco, it's our job to run them out of here. They outdid us last year, so we have a little bit of an edge going into this game. We're ready to get that bad taste out of our mouth."

On being ranked No.2 in the country:
"It means a lot, but we still have a lot of games left. It only matters how you finish, so we have a lot more to prove."

JAY LEE, WR

On the depth of the team:
"It's very exciting and I'm sure it's exciting for the fans to watch the game. As a group, we all rally around each other and are happy for each other. Everybody makes plays. It's all just about togetherness and being there for each other. It's exciting to play with all these guys in the receiving corps. At the end of the day, it's all about getting the win, and that's what we pride ourselves on doing."

On playing West Virginia:
"We just have to go back to our fundamentals. We're excited about this game and to go out and play at McLane Stadium in front of our fans. They get to come down here now, so they get to feel what kind of atmosphere we've got going on down here for their first time. We're just ready to go out there and play."

TRAVON BLANCHARD, NB

On playing with confidence:
"Confidence is a multiplier. If you feel confident, you already have an advantage. Just being out there with your teammates, you know you don't have to make every play on your own. You have 10 people around you that are with you through the good and the bad. So you just go out there and do your job."

On playing with intensity:
"I know that I'm not the biggest on the field, or the fastest, but I have to find the edge somewhere. So I play with an extra spark, an extra energy, and I feel like that's my boost on the field."

On the game against Kansas:
"We take each game like a playoff game. We know that we can't take any team lightly because any team in the Big 12 could upset anyone. We can't take any game lightly if we want to accomplish our goal of being in the playoffs."

On his inspiration growing up:
"When I was younger, I watched Earl Thomas, the safety for the Seattle Seahawks. I loved the passion he played with, especially with being so small on the field. I know I’m not the biggest on the field. I know I’m not the fastest, but you just have to find an edge somewhere."

Reactions: MntnEERinSC
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT