ADVERTISEMENT

B12, WVU's cash cow...

WVU, as usual, does more with less. It's a state trait.

Also, WVU income is more than double its best year in the Big East.

Thank you, Oliver Luck!

Eers WVU is probably at 3 or 4 times what a typical Big East payout year was. If I remember correctly typical payout was
$7-$12 mill. And that was at the end of their road.

You guys ever read a p and l sheet? expenses...a controllable item in college sports...was down at WVU. income, in sports' profit neutral environment was 27th. not bad certainly but a shadow of big boys. winning at a higher level would drive income higher. just sayin'

You guys ever read a p and l sheet? expenses...a controllable item in college sports...was down at WVU. income, in sports' profit neutral environment was 27th. not bad certainly but a shadow of big boys. winning at a higher level would drive income higher. just sayin'
Well, one would have to actually see the P&Ls to know WVU's relative health. Texas is roughly revenue neutral after spending 207mil. How much of that chunk was spent in a manner which promotes the athletics, and how much was spent of non-beneficial obligations like Charlie Strong's buyout? At any rate WVU was 4mil in the black. Someone is doing something right.

Still 4th or 5th most profit is pretty freaking amazing when you look at what we've actually won in the last 8 years. Now If you got bragging rights for having a low overhead, then that would be something...

Still 4th or 5th most profit is pretty freaking amazing when you look at what we've actually won in the last 8 years. Now If you got bragging rights for having a low overhead, then that would be something...

Was comparing Louisville at $120M to Cincinnati at $60M. Sure glad we got out of the Big East/AAC.

Seeet!!! Now hopefully it will translate into wins against top teams.

Money and wins usually means players being paid. WVU would be given the death penalty unlike those blue bloods.

If your thinking money equals building and rebuilding. Those don't typically translate into top recruits for WVU.

Eers WVU is probably at 3 or 4 times what a typical Big East payout year was. If I remember correctly typical payout was
$7-$12 mill. And that was at the end of their road.
We both are correct. Big 12 payout ALONE is triple Big East payout alone, but WVU's AD income is just over double what it was in our Big East days. We're just looking at numbers from different parts of the pie. But we both are correct that Oliver Luck made WVU so much better off financially than we were in the Big East days. And more relevant on the national scene, too, particularly in basketball and baseball.

Well, one would have to actually see the P&Ls to know WVU's relative health. Texas is roughly revenue neutral after spending 207mil. How much of that chunk was spent in a manner which promotes the athletics, and how much was spent of non-beneficial obligations like Charlie Strong's buyout? At any rate WVU was 4mil in the black. Someone is doing something right.

Like I said: click on West V. and you can see the P&L.

Money and wins usually means players being paid. WVU would be given the death penalty unlike those blue bloods

If your thinking money equals building and rebuilding. Those don't typically translate into top recruits for WVU.

Ummmm. We are a blue blood. That is all.

Reactions: BobbyBoucheer
Well, there’s an objective list by 12 espn writers. Nothing to debate there. BTW, what is the criteria by which they judged “blue blood”. It would be interesting to know which factors put Stanford in the top 25.

[sarcasm]
Standards are 2 things...
1.Cheating without being caught
2. Being caught and only getting a light slap.

What is the factor for WVU being 44th?

Good question. WVU is top 20 in terms of total program wins. Stanford is not top 50.

Fair enough. Just like those ESPN blabbering twits, It's your opinion of what a blue blood is or isn't. Same as anyone else. But I like your line of thinking of Blue blood choices by looking at overall wins, losses and ties.

5th most profitable team in country. Click on West Virginia and you can see where the income/expenses come from.

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/

I dumped it into an Excel spreadsheet, added a "difference" column to make sense of the profit margins and looked at the Big 12's health compared to the ACC's. Every team listed in the Big 12 is in the black with the 2 private U's (TCU & Baylor) not listed. Compare that to the ACC's outlook and you find that 4 of their 8 teams listed are in the red with probably more to come if their private schools were to report their finances. TCU and Baylor appear to have money as they have built new facilities in recent years but how about...

BC - Is there any way they are solvent?
Duke - Basketball side of things probably puts them comfortably in the black
Miami - Small private school with a large number of int'l students leaves few fans to make the necessary athletic department contributions
Syracuse - Big school with a lot of successful alums means they are probably in the black
Wake - No way they are solvent, right?
Notre Dame - Not sure how much they add to the ACC outside of the games they are required to play but they are most certainly in the black

Now would WVU join the ACC if they were invited? I'm guessing yes but for the moment, our financial situation is running laps around anything the ACC has to offer.

Reactions: BobbyBoucheer
I dumped it into an Excel spreadsheet, added a "difference" column to make sense of the profit margins and looked at the Big 12's health compared to the ACC's. Every team listed in the Big 12 is in the black with the 2 private U's (TCU & Baylor) not listed. Compare that to the ACC's outlook and you find that 4 of their 8 teams listed are in the red with probably more to come if their private schools were to report their finances. TCU and Baylor appear to have money as they have built new facilities in recent years but how about...

Miami - Small private school with a large number of int'l students leaves few fans to make the necessary athletic department contributions
Syracuse - Big school with a lot of successful alums means they are probably in the black
Notre Dame - Not sure how much they add to the ACC outside of the games they are required to play but they are most certainly in the black

Now would WVU join the ACC if they were invited? I'm guessing yes but for the moment, our financial situation is running laps around anything the ACC has to offer.
There are very few teams in the ACC that match our profile and mission. Florida State, NC State, UNC, Va Tech and maybe Clemson. The rest are either closer to Ivy league schools or belong in the old Metro Conference. Notre Dame deserves a special Hell all their own. That conference would suck for us and would only be preferable to the AAC. If there is no place for us in the SEC or the BIG, then the Big12 is the best possible home for WVU.

Last edited:
Reactions: spectat'EER
To sum it up: Thank you, Oliver Luck, for getting WVU into the Big 12 before leaving for another job. I'll be forever grateful. All those improvements at Mountaineer Field should be credited to Oliver getting WVU joining the Big 12 treasure handouts.

Well, there’s an objective list by 12 espn writers. Nothing to debate there. BTW, what is the criteria by which they judged “blue blood”. It would be interesting to know which factors put Stanford in the top 25.

Kinda weird Pitt at 26 and WVU at 44.

[sarcasm]
Standards are 2 things...
1.Cheating without being caught
2. Being caught and only getting a light slap.

What is the factor for WVU being 44th?

Maybe no National Titles and inconsistent rankings over several decades. Or possibly the WVU brand for viewers nationally isn’t very respected. Was academic metrics used? Who knows.

Good question. WVU is top 20 in terms of total program wins. Stanford is not top 50.

Stanford has won a lot of big time games. WVU not so much. Some of Stanford’s brand is based on its academic standards. Actually most of their brand(reputation) comes from academics.

Fair enough. Just like those ESPN blabbering twits, It's your opinion of what a blue blood is or isn't. Same as anyone else. But I like your line of thinking of Blue blood choices by looking at overall wins, losses and ties.

Not true. The Blue Blood concept has been around for decades and there are just a few true Blue Blood programs. Why is it so hard for some of you to admit WVU just isn’t a Blue Blood program like Ohio St or Oklahoma?

There are very few teams in the ACC that match our profile and mission. Florida State, NC State, UNC, Va Tech and maybe Clemson. The rest are either closer to Ivy league schools or belong in the old Metro Conference. Notre Dame deserves a special Hell all their own. That conference would suck for us and would only be preferable to the AAC. If there is no place for us in the SEC or the BIG, then the Big12 is the best possible home for WVU.

LOL.

Fair enough banned boy

Has WVU won a national title in football, basketball or baseball? Has Ohio State, Oklahoma, ND, FSU, Michigan, Alabama ,Texas, USC won national championships?

Blue blood no.

Reactions: Rootmaster
Has WVU won a national title in football, basketball or baseball? Has Ohio State, Oklahoma, ND, FSU, Michigan, Alabama ,Texas, USC won national championships?

Blue blood no.

Please tell me where I can find information about what makes a school a "blue blood"? Or is this made up BS by espn? I can't wait for an answer.

Please tell me where I can find information about what makes a school a "blue blood"? Or is this made up BS by espn? I can't wait for an answer.

ESPN
FANSIDE

CheatSheat - https://www.cheatsheet.com/sports/l...a-look-at-these-8-powerhouses.html/?a=viewall

SPUN - https://thespun.com/independents/no...st-of-college-footballs-8-blue-blood-programs

Twitter Poll picked by fans - https://thespun.com/college-football/college-football-blue-bloods-twitter-poll

ABC News - https://abcnews.go.com/Sports/blue-bloods-college-football/story?id=41650149

According to ABC ...there are only eight blue bloods in college football: Alabama, Michigan, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Texas and USC.

They have won 44 of the 80 Associated Press national championships. If you are talking bloodlines, then the dominance necessary to become a college football blue blood must span not just coaches but generations, because history and tradition have cast a spell upon this sport.

AP College Football Rankings: Greatest Programs Of All-Time
Rededit -

Blue blood programs are nothing more than someone's opinion and projection. But they give a pretty good argument to back it up..

Please tell me why WVU should be a blue blood?

This not factual information. It’s “sportswriter’s opinions and fan’s opinions. It’s complete bull$hit and your falling for it. We are a BIG time program and can play with anyone and that’s a blue blood.

You wanted information I gave you information. I gave no opinion of my own. But if you had read my reply top to bottom you would have noticed my thoughts.

Blue blood programs are nothing more than someone's opinion and projection...

WVU was unbeaten in 1922 under Clarence "Doc" and won East-West Classic, forerunner of the Rose Bowl. Why doesn't that count as a national title?

...can play with anyone and that’s a blue blood.

You can make this statement about any team that plays college football.

WVU was unbeaten in 1922 under Clarence "Doc" and won East-West Classic, forerunner of the Rose Bowl. Why doesn't that count as a national title?

We are not Pitt. We don't want made up titles.

The 1921 game
January 1, 1921 California 28 Ohio State 0

The game in 1922
January 2, 1922 California 0 Washington & Jefferson 0

Rose Bowl was first called Tournament East–West football game.
WVU has never been in the Rose Bowl or Tournament East–West football game.

WVU played in the East-West Christmas Classic. Beating Gonzaga

If you're going to quote me, then at least you use the whole quote - "We are a BIG time program and can play with anyone and that’s a blue blood". I guess you don't think we're BIG time. Why don't you go back to mommy's basement now. I guess this is why I should stay away from the main board.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT