ADVERTISEMENT

Austin Kendall discusses 'very tough' decision leaving for new start

Vernon

The Legend
Staff
May 29, 2001
Beyond The Sun
wvsports.com
The former Sooners quarterback was at West Virginia’s facility until midnight on Thursday and, on Friday morning, informed new Mountaineers coach Neal Brown of his final decision to join the West Virginia program. The graduate transfer has two years' eligibility remaining.

“It’s a great opportunity for me and a great situation,” Kendall told the Tulsa World on Friday morning. “Having a prior relationship with coach (Neal) Brown really helped.”

Kendall initiated enrollment paperwork at West Virginia and an unnamed Power-Five school, the Tulsa World learned on Thursday night. The quarterback wanted one final night to mull his decision before choosing West Virginia.

Kendall entered the NCAA transfer portal last Friday and spent the past seven days looking for a new home.

Leaving OU “was very tough,” Kendall said Friday morning. “I spent three years with the team and those guys around the locker room. Being with coach (Lincoln) Riley for three years, I learned a tremendous amount from him, and it’s helped me through the process.”

Kendall said he’ll also forever have a bond with Oklahoma after graduating with a communications degree last month.

More: https://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsex...cle_f33d3927-c541-5a59-ad1b-28f05ecc2109.html

And likely a lot more coachable. I’ve been told that he is very similar to the quarterback that Coach Brown had at Troy the last few years.

There was a source that has this as a done deal Wednesday. Major WVU sites ran with it so I assume a reliable source. Any idea how that got so off target that the actual final decision wasn't until this morning?

All's well that ends well.

There was a source that has this as a done deal Wednesday. Major WVU sites ran with it so I assume a reliable source. Any idea how that got so off target that the actual final decision wasn't until this morning?

All's well that ends well.

On Austin’s end, I doubt he was ever going to just blindly sign with a team without seeing it up close. This is his last chance to make himself an NFL QB. I’d be cautious too.

I think assumptions were made.

No biggie in the end.

The former Sooners quarterback was at West Virginia’s facility until midnight on Thursday and, on Friday morning, informed new Mountaineers coach Neal Brown of his final decision to join the West Virginia program. The graduate transfer has two years' eligibility remaining.

“It’s a great opportunity for me and a great situation,” Kendall told the Tulsa World on Friday morning. “Having a prior relationship with coach (Neal) Brown really helped.”

Kendall initiated enrollment paperwork at West Virginia and an unnamed Power-Five school, the Tulsa World learned on Thursday night. The quarterback wanted one final night to mull his decision before choosing West Virginia.

Kendall entered the NCAA transfer portal last Friday and spent the past seven days looking for a new home.

Leaving OU “was very tough,” Kendall said Friday morning. “I spent three years with the team and those guys around the locker room. Being with coach (Lincoln) Riley for three years, I learned a tremendous amount from him, and it’s helped me through the process.”

Kendall said he’ll also forever have a bond with Oklahoma after graduating with a communications degree last month.

More: https://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsex...cle_f33d3927-c541-5a59-ad1b-28f05ecc2109.html
Shot you an email. Hopefully you can help w/ one of the two. Thanks...

ADVERTISEMENT