ADVERTISEMENT

Athlon's Early Big XII predictions

TownesVanZandt

All-Conference
Aug 19, 2018
https://www.google.com/amp/s/athlon...ll/big-12-football-predictions-early-2019?amp

8. West Virginia

west-virginia-mountaineers.png
The Mountaineers hit a home run with the hire of Neal Brown to replace Dana Holgorsen, but the 2019 season is likely to be a rebuilding year. In addition to the overall transition to the new staff, West Virginia must replace quarterback Will Grier, left tackle Yodny Cajuste and receivers Gary Jennings and David Sills. The defense also has holes to fill, as linebacker David Long left early for the NFL, and lineman Kenny Bigelow, safety Dravon Askew-Henry and end Jabril Robinson have expired their eligibility. Safety Kenny Robinson and linemen Dante Stills and Darius Stills will lead the way on defense next fall, while the offense will have to lean on a trio of running backs – Kennedy McKoy, Martell Pettaway and Leddie Brown – until a quarterback emerges. Miami transfer Jack Allison started the Camping World Bowl and completed 17 of 35 throws for 277 yards and one pick. He will battle freshman Trey Lowe for the starting job in spring ball. The Mountaineers do return a strong foundation up front, headlined by tackle Colton McKivitz.

10. Kansas
9. K State
8 WV
7 Tech
6 Okie Lite
5 Baylor
4 TCU
3 Iowa St
2. Texas
1. Oklahoma

Should rename the numbers challenged Big 12-2=10 Flag Football League the "Texas-Oklahoma Conference" and name the two Kansas universities and WVU and Iowa State as schedule fodder members. Who the hell can get excited about the sage brush schools?

Reactions: Pitt4Life34
What does that have to do with anything?

I am going to use your argument against you....

Conferences don't mean anything. They are only as strong as their members.

So attacking conferences is just as stupid as promoting them.
Don't you think....Greg

Reactions: Phil
I think this is understandable in terms of people thinking we will not have a great year next season.

I think we end up anywhere from 5-7 to 7-5.

I think this is understandable in terms of people thinking we will not have a great year next season.

I think we end up anywhere from 5-7 to 7-5.

The changing of the coaches and the play of Allison took any buzz away for next year.

Even with that
TCU and Oklahoma St have new QBs.
Iowa St is losing some playmakers
Baylor is still at best a 7-8 win team
Tech is getting the benefit of the doubt because of returning QBs. What if Carter and Duffey are trash without KK.

With all this I still say 3rd to 9th
More reasonably be 5th or 6th

Should rename the numbers challenged Big 12-2=10 Flag Football League the "Texas-Oklahoma Conference" and name the two Kansas universities and WVU and Iowa State as schedule fodder members. Who the hell can get excited about the sage brush schools?

Oklahoma State and Baylor were once fodder members as well.

Drayton McLane and T Boone Pickens changed that among others at both universities.
David Booth is now doing the same thing at KU. Funny thing is Les Miles is who started the turnaround in Stillwater in the early 2000's.

I think we’ll know exactly how good we are after the NC State game. Going against our old DC with another program that’s in reloading phase will say a lot about what we’re made of.

Yea rootmaster, the Big XII is so bad that the NFL is imitating our league.

They are doing stories about how exciting the NFL Final Four will be.

But thanks for the clown comment.

For all of you doubting Allison, just think about how much he and the young wide receivers learned from the bowl game.

You will see a much improved product next year.

Josh McDaniels went all in on the spread and putting Tom Brady in the shotgun about 10 years ago.

Truthfully it is hard to do what McDaniels does in the NFL regarding the different sets on offense because you can't just bring in a TE from the practice squad or off the street during the season.

Iowa uses a lot of their 2 and 3 Tight end sets.
Teams like Oklahoma use lot of their base sets with 3 WRs and putting the TE out wide.
Iowa doesn't have the WRs to use a lot of their 3-5 WR sets.
But their OC comes from N England

Yea. You're right. But it goes back even further than that. The San Diego Chargers had Fouts and Winslow with a stud running back in Muncie as well as several great receivers in the early 1980s.

Hell, even Joe Namath and the Jets relied on a strong tight end and stout wide receivers although they used more fullback then.

It really is nothing new.

Yea. You're right. But it goes back even further than that. The San Diego Chargers had Fouts and Winslow with a stud running back in Muncie as well as several great receivers in the early 1980s.

Hell, even Joe Namath and the Jets relied on a strong tight end and stout wide receivers although they used more fullback then.

It really is nothing new.

There has been some changes.
Mainly with the trips' sets and the routes.

Bill Walsh who has a direct connection to Jack Neumeier is the first one that started using short patterns to get the ball out quick and allow the WR to work in space.

What is different is the stretching of Defenses at every level.

The Jet sweep has became a big play in the NFL

Funny story about Andy Reid.
He has been a fan of the "Texas HS" offense since 2003.
He watched the Hawaii Bowl between Houston and Boise St and fell in love with Art Briles and the UH QB at the time Kevin Kolb.
Kolb was suppose to be Mahomes before Mahomes but it didn't work out and it cost him his job in Philly.

But he kept his faith in what he saw and drafted Mahomes.

Tech 7th? Really. What a joke.
Baylor 5th. Hilarious.

10. Kansas
9. Texas Tech
8. KSU
7. Baylor
6. WVU
5. Oklahoma State
4. TCU
3. Texas
2. ISU
1. Oklahoma

There are some errors as always.

But you are disregarding returning QBs.
If you rank returning QBs you would rank Texas, Baylor and Tech in the Top 4 with Brewer and Purdy from Iowa State tied at 2nd.

Ultimately I think giving Lincoln Riley and Oklahoma the benfit of the doubt will prove wrong.
They lose too much on the OL and even with Jalen Hurts their offense will not be as explosive as it was this year.
Maybe if Riley and Oklahoma had more than 4-6 months to work with Hurts.

Regarding WV
Best case scenario is TCU has more QB and OLine problems.
The coaching change is better than the other three.
WV can beat Oklahoma St and Iowa St at home
Then win in Waco..

That is 7-2.
Neal Brown going 9-3 in his first season will set WV up well in the future.

I think there is a small chance this could happen
You can even say 10-2 if they find a way to win against Mizzou as well.

Hopefully Neal Brown can match the intensity in CoMo.

Mizzou looked like Mizzou in their last two matchups against the Big XII.
They are circling WV. Oklahoma St and Texas went up against Mizzou and punched them in the mouth.

Hopefully Neal Brown and WV can do the same.

What does that have to do with anything?

I am going to use your argument against you....

Conferences don't mean anything. They are only as strong as their members.

So attacking conferences is just as stupid as promoting them.
Don't you think....Greg

I’ll never speak for Root. This Ian me........GFY Texass

I think we’ll know exactly how good we are after the NC State game. Going against our old DC with another program that’s in reloading phase will say a lot about what we’re made of.

Texass has 3 accounts chatting with each other......bawahahahaha!
What a f’n loser

Don't act so victimized Greggy.

If you want a safe space stay on your Pitt board.

No victim. You’re a scumbag racist homophobe that is a huge loser. Actually invigorating calling out a racist pig like you Texass. You haven’t been called out before haha. Cold water in your face scumbag. Get lost.

Reactions: Rootmaster
No victim. You’re a scumbag racist homophobe that is a huge loser. Actually invigorating calling out a racist pig like you Texass. You haven’t been called out before haha. Cold water in your face scumbag. Get lost.

The downward spiral of GregJacobs.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT