ADVERTISEMENT

WVU Release Assistant Coaches and Players Media Session 8-28

Keenan Cummings

Fact Based and Wonderful
Staff
Sep 16, 2007
MORGANTOWN, W.Va. (August 28, 2018) – West Virginia University assistant coaches and select members of the West Virginia University football team met with the media on Tuesday, Aug. 28, 2018, at the Milan Puskar Center Team Room.

Assistant Coach (Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks) Jake Spavital

On what Mountaineer fans can expect to see from this year’s offense

I think you’re going to see a lot of similarities to last year. There’s not very many new faces, which is comforting from a coaching standpoint, because these guys have played a lot of football. But you’re going to see a lot of twists and little nuances to this offense, and I think that’s what you’re going to see every game. You have to adjust to the personnel that you have. You’re going to evolve your offense based on the studies that you’ve done in the offseason and how you try to do some professional development and study other things. You’re going to still see a lot of different looks with this offense, but you’re still going to see the same guys out there making plays. I think it’s an exciting brand of football.

On having fun as a coach in the pressure-packed world of college football

It’s fun. You still have to stay true to the game. I know a lot of people that, when they come back with a lot of good talent, they just go through the motions of things. That’s not what our coaching staff is going to do. We’re making sure that we’re doing the right amount of film study and preparation just to make sure that these kids are in the right spot, because they have an ability to do something special. If they stay close together and stay on course, I will be curious to see how they respond to adversity. That’s the beauty of this game is that nothing is ever going to go as planned. You wish it did, but I think it’s on the part of the coaching staff to put these kids in the right position and make sure that they can handle adversity in the right way.

On how he’s assessing the running backs

I think it’s about consistency. They’ve all been consistent this entire fall camp, which makes it harder on us, but that’s a good problem to have. You’re going to see (junior) Kennedy (McKoy) and (junior) Martell (Pettaway). You guys have seen them run out there on the field. I don’t know what (redshirt freshman Alec) Sink (Sinkfield) and what (freshman) Leddie (Brown) can do. They’ve never been in a college atmosphere, and this is going to be a pretty wild game. You just have to ease some of these kids into it and see how they react. Throughout the course of the week, I think these kids have shown enough of what they’re capable of doing. You just have to rep them accordingly and make sure that they’re mentally ready for this game. Assignment-wise, they’re ready to roll.

Assistant Coach (Running Backs) Marquel Blackwell

On redshirt freshman running back Alec Sinkfield

He’s gotten better every day that I’ve been here. The thing about him is that he seems to go with the flow and make things happen. He’s a hard worker; he’s a great kid. He’s done everything that we’ve asked of him. I’m just looking forward to seeing him go out there and helping us.

On what he’s seen from the running backs prior to Saturday’s game

Consistency, toughness and the will to compete. At that position, you have to have all three of those to be successful. I’m just looking forward to seeing those guys go out there, compete and have a great time.

On making adjustments with the running backs throughout the season

Sometimes you have guys that are teachable guys. You go on the board, correct it one time and it’s fixed. For the young guys, sometimes that’s hard. You have to show it visually and, sometimes, you actually have to get out there and walk them through it. You can teach them in a lot of different ways. For most of these guys, you can go in, make a correction and they fix it right away. That’s been the most surprising for the young guys. But it’s like I was saying about the will to compete – not everyone is competitive, especially coming from an environment where they’ve been the guy. Then, they come into an environment where they have to back-track and learn. They’re all tough, and I appreciate that about them. You have to be that way at this position. I’m looking forward to it. It’s here now. We only have a couple more days before we see what’s up.

Assistant Coach (Wide Receivers) Tyron Carrier

On what he sees from Tennessee’s defensive backs

It’s an interesting group. They have bigger-bodied corners. They’re strong, and they’re physical. I wouldn’t be surprised if they walk up on us and try to man us up, because they’re big and strong. They use their hands really well. My guys have a task in front of them. We’ll see how it goes.

On the wide receiving corps being game ready

I’ve tried to move them around and make things a little hard for them. They’re an experienced bunch now. It’s really just getting them to the game. There was a lot of energy coming through this place yesterday, and it was an off day. These guys are really focused, and they’re ready to prove themselves. I’m happy with them.

On the importance of making in-game adjustments against Tennessee

You really don’t know what they’re going to do. The thing that I was studying is how their starters competed in the spring game and how well they used their technique and what-not. Scheme-wise, you can get a feel for it by watching some of (Alabama), but you really won’t know how they’re going to come out and play us until after the first series. Then, we can get a feel for it.

Associate Head Coach (Defensive Coordinator/Linebackers) Tony Gibson

On his impressions of the defense heading into the season opener

I’m excited to watch them play; I think the kids are excited to play. I’m anxious to go watch them just like everyone else is. I feel comfortable. There are always what-if’s, and there’s always things going into the first game that you’re not real sure of. But I’m anxious to watch them play and watch this group of kids throw their bodies around for a little bit.

On making in-game adjustments

It’s a nerve-racking process. If you don’t have time, and that’s where I’d like for (assistant coach – offensive coordinator/quarterbacks) Jake (Spavital) to go on about a 14-play drive and take eight minutes off the clock to let us get settled in. But sometimes you don’t have that luxury, and that’s the tricky part. How much time do you have over there? Do we have time to adjust and get things in? And you have to pick and choose and not throw everything at them in between one series, because then, they’re going to blow a gasket and you have to keep building on it. I have a lot of different ideas on my game plan that the kids don’t, because I don’t want to overload them.

On how head coach Dana Holgorsen has evolved during his tenure

What has it been, six years since I’ve been with him? I think that he’s more of a CEO right now. Obviously, when I first got here, he was calling all the plays on offense – all the way up until two years ago. It was sort of hard to lend me some special teams and be involved in any other aspect of the program. Now that he’s done that – not saying that he wasn’t a good head coach before – he has a better grasp on the whole program right now.

Assistant Coach (Cornerbacks) Doug Belk

On what he expects to see from Tennessee’s receiving corps

They’re a big, athletic group. They do a good job of tracking, high-pointing and catching the ball on contested passes.

On game planning when there are still some unknowns

There are a lot of unknowns that we can’t study. The personnel and scheme is different, obviously, from last year. They have a lot of the same players that made a lot of plays over the last couple of years. For us, it’s about focusing on details and what we need to do to be successful against those guys.

On whether knowing the scheme or knowing the players is more important when preparing for a game

The good thing about corners is that, a lot of times, you have a guy across from you who can help you prepare. A lot goes into wanting to prepare the best that we can, but at the end of the day, it’s all about competing at a high level.

Assistant Coach (Safeties) Matt Caponi

On redshirt junior safety Deamonte Lindsay

He’s gotten progressively better over the course of the last three seasons, the offseason as well. He went through a lot of stuff early on in his career – more than we can imagine, more than some of us have gone through. He’s been able to overcome that, and I’ve been happy with where he’s at position-wise right now. Again, he’s one of our key backups, and it’s progressively gotten better and, obviously, at some point in time this year, he’s going to play for us. So, he has to continue to get better and work on his fundamentals and techniques, but I’d feel comfortable putting him in the game.

On safeties playing on special teams

Just football players – guys that have a good football IQ, because they’re doing something different on every special teams. So, can they retain the information? Can they retain the game plan? Can they execute at a high level? Most importantly, can they play with great effort on special teams? That’s what we look for and, obviously, whether I tell my guys they’re starters, key backups or third string guys, they should want to play special teams. It’s a huge part of the game. Sometimes it wins you a game, sometimes it loses you games. I feel comfortable, and my guys are 100 percent bought into playing special teams, and executing, and doing it well.

On which safeties have excelled in the past on special teams

Somebody that comes to mind, when he’s healthy, over the past couple of years has been (redshirt senior) Toyous (Avery Jr.). He’s played on a lot of special teams, and when he’s healthy, he’s been really good at it. His production on special teams led him to a starting role on defense. I think that’s where most young guys start. We have some guys, like (redshirt freshman) E.J. Brown, (redshirt sophomore) Dante Bonamico and (redshirt sophomore) Osman Kamara, who have produced on special teams, and we’re looking forward to them continuing to fill that role. Eventually, down the road, it’s going to lead them to playing time on defense.

Redshirt Senior Offensive Lineman Yodny Cajuste

On his expectations of Tennessee

We all don’t know what to expect and vice versa – they don’t know what to expect. We just have to do what we’ve been taught every day in practice and make sure we cover all of our assignments.

On making adjustments during the game

We’ll have to wait and see, but at the end of the day, everything that we’re going to do come Saturday, we’ve worked on.

On what he enjoys the most about game day

I can’t explain it. It’s a wonderful feeling, especially the first game.

Redshirt Senior Quarterback Will Grier

On his thoughts as the season opener approaches

I really like where we are at as a team. I think we’re in a good spot. I think we’re ready to go. It’s go-time now; it’s time to put this all together and go win a football game.

On if he’s excited to play in his home state of North Carolina to open the season

Yeah, no doubt. I think we’re all equally excited to play the first game. I’m excited for my friends and family in the area to come watch me play in the Panthers’ stadium. That’s a really cool opportunity for them, and it’s exciting for me. But I’m focused on winning the first football game. We could play in Alaska, and I’d feel just as excited.

On how the team has come together since last season ended

A lot. I think we were disappointed in the middle of the season last year. I think we’re really talented, and we put that on display. We couldn’t always put it together and win games, and we felt we could have won. So, we put in a lot of work this offseason to win those games, and no matter what you do, you have to go out and do it on Saturdays now. It’s like I said – it’s about executing now and putting it all together.

Junior Running Back Martell Pettaway

On if there is a friendly competition for the starting running back job

We talk about it and joke around sometimes, but for the most part, we’re all trying to contribute for the team and get the win. Whoever is the best back is going to play.

On what he looks forward to the most as the season gets started

The experience. I’m just ready for the season to kick off. It’s been a long offseason, and I’m ready to play right now.

On what younger players can do to be ready for road games

They just have to stay ready. Anything can happen during a road game. The next man has to get up and just be ready.

Redshirt Senior Safety Dravon Askew-Henry

On what he sees from Tennessee

They have a whole new coaching staff; the first game is the unknown. I feel like it’s going to be more about us doing our assignments and focusing on technique, and I feel like that’s how we’re going to win the game.

On if this year’s defense is being undersold

Yeah, but I like that. It’s keeps everybody coming in with a chip on their shoulder, ready to practice, ready to work out and to just come ready, in general.

On what he wants to accomplish on defense as a unit this week

I just want to see us go out there, have fun and dominate. I want to see everybody flying to the ball. If you’re playing well and having fun, then everything else will fall into place.

Redshirt junior linebacker David Long Jr.

On how he feels about the defense at the start of the season

Good. We’re close. Everybody is on the right page. Everyone has the same thing in mind, and that’s just to win.

On how he feels about playing in this year’s season opener after missing last season’s

I’m definitely ready. I’m finally healthy and definitely ready to go out there and give it all I’ve got.

On how the defense can prove something this season

It has started already. You have to go out there and earn our respect, go out there and not over-do things. You have to go out there and play how we know how to play and get the job done.

Senior defensive lineman Ezekiel Rose

On the excitement of game week

As soon as Saturday was over, everybody was hyped up and saying, ‘It’s game week.’ Everybody was out there talking and getting hyped up. We came in today, lifted this morning and everybody was in a great mood. It’s just great to be able to play somebody other than ourselves.

On his impressions of Tennessee

They’re a very physical team. It’s the SEC, so you know that they’re going to be downhill and try to run the ball. We’re working on run-stopping and all that good stuff, but we’re just going to play our style of defense, our style of football. We’re West Virginia, and we’re going to show them what we have.

On where the biggest growth has occurred on defense

Defensively, I feel like we have started over. With (associate head coach – defensive coordinator/linebackers Tony) Gibson, he brought in some new stuff to do at the beginning of spring, like new drills that will help us out with tackling. Also, new leadership has helped. I miss Al (-Rasheed Benton) and X (Xavier Preston). Those were good guys, but I feel like it’s our time to go out there and show what the defense can do. We have everybody on the same page. Now, we’re just trying to get everybody going in the same direction.

ADVERTISEMENT