Vernon

The Legend
Staff
May 29, 2001
Beyond The Sun
wvsports.com
Not too bad.

Others receiving votes:
Baylor 146, West Virginia 81, Georgia Tech 69, TCU 49, Virginia 39, Arkansas State 33, SMU 32, Iowa State 14, Mississippi State 14, Boise State 6, South Florida 6, Ole Miss 5, Texas Tech 5, UAB 4, Missouri 3, Air Force 2, Florida State 2, Marshall 2, Houston 1
Point values in parentheses indicate the number of first place votes.
* Indicates team canceled their games for the season.

Not too bad? Really? Considering there are all the teams missing from the two non playing P5 conferences...and the 26 teams above WVU includes several Group of 5 programs and several teams that didn't play at all...it is lousy. Just sayin '

Not too bad? Really? Considering there are all the teams missing from the two non playing P5 conferences...and the 26 teams above WVU includes several Group of 5 programs and several teams that didn't play at all...it is lousy. Just sayin '

It means nothing. WVU was not great last year and must prove it's value on the field. Unfortunately beating a lamb to slaughter team is meaningless. Games like the EKU game can mostly reveal bad things. Hence, this team is still an unknown commodity.

Root you’re not being realistic. WVU played one game and pounded a team they should pound. There are less than 10 teams that would be top 25 if Big Ten and PAC12 were playing. No one had WVU as a Top ranked type of team. The next month should be interesting.

It means nothing. WVU was not great last year and must prove it's value on the field. Unfortunately beating a lamb to slaughter team is meaningless. Games like the EKU game can mostly reveal bad things. Hence, this team is still an unknown commodity.

Neal Brown is being conservative when he says he has about 10-15 players who improved drastically.

Watch a player from last year compared to this year.

Look. This team will be better than last years, if only because we have a returning starter at QB.

Our running is better. Defense looks pretty good.

our OLine will decide this season. If they come together, this is a Top 25 team. If not, we fight to be bowl eligible...if there are even non-CFP games.

Being an honorable mention Top 25 is about right.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
ESPN FPI has them at 24.
AP/Coaches Poll are reactionary.
Polls are much higher on Miami and Tennessee because of name value.

Around the same place for WVU
24/27

Neal Brown has some things to go on for a week but can't really do anything until he sees Oklahoma State play.
Oklahoma State attempts to get talent in one on one matchups similar to Dana did but Gundy always adds different wrinkles based on coaches.

Interesting how Neal Brown plays it. Does he attempt to do 2 week prep on Oklahoma State
Or fix some issues for a week and then do 1 week game prep..

Well yeah a game that if you tried to lose n purpose would still be hard to lose when playing EKU. But they did what they should do against that type team. Unlike last season. Heck OU, Texas and other top 15 teams are being praised for beating a bunch of nobody's.

Well yeah a game that if you tried to lose n purpose would still be hard to lose when playing EKU. But they did what they should do against that type team. Unlike last season. Heck OU, Texas and other top 15 teams are being praised for beating a bunch of nobody's.

Whether its the media's reasoning or not, Texas and OU were good teams last year and not completely ravaged by attrition. That far more than beating the little sisters of the poor factors in to their rating. I'm just saying that from an objective stand point cupcakes can really only deliver bad news about your team. In the past crushing them, as expected, has proven to not be much of an indicator for success against the meat of the schedule.

Whether its the media's reasoning or not, Texas and OU were good teams last year and not completely ravaged by attrition. That far more than beating the little sisters of the poor factors in to their rating. I'm just saying that from an objective stand point cupcakes can really only deliver bad news about your team. In the past crushing them, as expected, has proven to not be much of an indicator for success against the meat of the schedule.

Uh Texas wasn't that good last year 8-5 (5-4) another year of under performing.

Yes beating cupcakes are no indicator of what a season will be. But does show they are doing what needs to be done to build. I'm looking one game at a time with this team. Show me improvement each week win games when you get the chance. Last year they showed no improvement in run game but defense looked to be improving. My take is one game at a time. Right now I see improvement. I also see anywhere from 4-6 on low end and 6-4 at best. For those numbers to change for me I will have to see the effort at Oklahoma State. A team supposedly capable of wining Big 12.

As far as the rankings that is a joke in every year. This year is even worse as there are 26 P5 teams not even playing.

Reactions: Rootmaster
That is why ESPN's FPI is one of the best right now
Other places have similar systems used to rank teams

Past production
Talent
Current production

Removes the human element.

Only issue that some people have is that it has Florida St still in front of Georgia Tech.
But it believes Florida St wins that game 60+% of the time.
The other games will show this according to them. If not you will see a change. Unlike polls it isn't automatic. All the human polls claim GA Tech is a better team because of one game.

Has WVU at #24
6th best team in the Big 12. With a 1% to win the conference
5.2-4.8
Most likely going 5-5

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT