ADVERTISEMENT

RIVALS AP Top 25 Poll: By the numbers

I don’t know if our coaches just have a better eye for talent, or are better at developing talent in our recruits.

West Virginia has to finish in the Top 10 for this to be true.
I think almost all of the Top 25 would be undefeated with WV's schedule so far.

That doesn't discount WV.
I think what they are great at is bringing in transfers. Not all schools can bring in transfers because of academic reasons but DH has made the most of this.

Next important point is recruiting not by rankings but by need and by your own rankings.
Just like with the NFL draft each university has their own ranking system.
So the #1 QB on Rivals may be the #10 according to a certain coaching staff

The most important point is WV needs to get better on the DL.
Their DBs so far have been better than their rankings but DL has not.
This year has been so far an anomaly.
But.....
I saw yesterday Tech's weakness along the DL.
That is the one position WV needs to recruit a lot better.

The good things big is it looks like we are going to get more help from in state talent more and more. Our defensive depth chart is rocking with young WV talent. That builds more depth and that brings out more competition and better players.

Every recruiting service is different
ESPN has went to shit
Rivals base their rankings on their camps. They actually judge it by on the field performance

247 now judges recruits on potential like NFL teams.
You must run the 4.5 and be physical to get ranked high by their experts.

Like what was mentioned each school has their own recruiting
A lot if this based on interest.
Maybe a WR is the #1 recruit for WV but is considered a 3 star

West Virginia has to finish in the Top 10 for this to be true.
I think almost all of the Top 25 would be undefeated with WV's schedule so far.

That doesn't discount WV.
I think what they are great at is bringing in transfers. Not all schools can bring in transfers because of academic reasons but DH has made the most of this.

Next important point is recruiting not by rankings but by need and by your own rankings.
Just like with the NFL draft each university has their own ranking system.
So the #1 QB on Rivals may be the #10 according to a certain coaching staff

The most important point is WV needs to get better on the DL.
Their DBs so far have been better than their rankings but DL has not.
This year has been so far an anomaly.
But.....
I saw yesterday Tech's weakness along the DL.
That is the one position WV needs to recruit a lot better.
WV has a very good d-line and some young studs as back ups. Our DL is set up to be very good for the next several years. Perhaps you should watch us play before you show how ignorant you are.

WV has a very good d-line and some young studs as back ups. Our DL is set up to be very good for the next several years. Perhaps you should watch us play before you show how ignorant you are.

Very good is a stretch.
I don't think WV has the DLine yet to own the LOS.
More than that I don't think WV has the depth on the DL to put in the backups late in tight games.

The good things big is it looks like we are going to get more help from in state talent more and more. Our defensive depth chart is rocking with young WV talent. That builds more depth and that brings out more competition and better players.

If you're comparing this list, it wont help. The state of WV has no kids in the rivals 250.

I will agree that WV talent has gone up in the past 10 years

Last edited:
Interesting thread.

Serious questions: Take the names off of the uniforms and look at the scores. Ask yourself: Who is the better team?

Penn State?
Ohio State?
Appalachian State?

Ohio State edged Penn State at Happy Valley in front of almost 111,000 screaming, white-clad fans at night on National TV, and Penn State beat Appalachian State, so what's your point, other than to troll?

Ohio State edged Penn State at Happy Valley in front of almost 111,000 screaming, white-clad fans at night on National TV, and Penn State beat Appalachian State, so what's your point, other than to troll?

Did I strike a nerve?

App State LEAD PSU with a minute left and PSU had to score late after trailing most of the game just to TIE the game , and then had to sweat a long field goal attempt just to get to OT.

App State put up 38 points against the vaunted PSU defense in front of 100,000 crapping-in-their-pants fans.

OSU had to score late to take the lead after trailing most of the game.

Using the "eye test", App State is the BETTER of the three teams.

Did I strike a nerve?

App State LEAD PSU with a minute left and PSU had to score late after trailing most of the game just to TIE the game , and then had to sweat a long field goal attempt just to get to OT.

App State put up 38 points against the vaunted PSU defense in front of 100,000 crapping-in-their-pants fans.

OSU had to score late to take the lead after trailing most of the game.

Using the "eye test", App State is the BETTER of the three teams.
Yep, you're trolling, or you don't understand the emotional aspect of the game of football. The Ohio State game is Penn State's Super Bowl.

God it kills me to agree with you. In the grand scheme of things, OSU dusts Appy State.

That's what Penn State thought.
That's what Va Tech thought about ODU.
That's what Mich State thought about Arizona State.
That's what Wisconsin thought about BYU.
Typical Power 5 (Big 10) thinking/delusion.

Remember, a young TCU was outplaying Ohio State all over the field but kept shooting themselves in the foot.

My point is, just because OSU squeaked out a win at Penn State does NOT mean OSU should be ranked higher than us.

No "trolling" involved.

So, let me get this straight, "gold." Ohio State beats No. 15 TCU in Dallas by two scores, and takes a knee with a first and goal at the nine yard line late to avoid winning by three scores, but TCU outplayed Ohio State "all over the field?" Then, Ohio State beats No. 9 Penn State in Happy Valley. But WVU should be ranked higher than Ohio State? How many voting writers and coaches disagree with you?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT