ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone listen to today's "3 Guys Before the Game"?

.Bodhi.

All-Conference
Apr 5, 2009
A lot of harsh criticism directed towards the 19 year olds, not much said about the man making millions per year who assembled those teenagers. Anyway, that's not the point.

Tony broke down the statistical progression of many players over the years. His point was to speculate on how dismal the immediate future looks. But the inadvertent result was it was MASSIVE indictment the coaching staff's inability to develop talent.

Last edited:
Reactions: sccolaEER
A lot of harsh criticism directed towards the 19 year olds, not much said about the man making millions per year who assemble those teenagers. Anyway, that's not the point.

Tony broke down the statistical progression of many players over the years. His point was to speculate on how dismal the immediate future looks. But the inadvertent result was it was MASSIVE indictment the coaching staff's inability development talent.

I read your post before I listened to the episode but you're right.

A lot of harsh criticism directed towards the 19 year olds, not much said about the man making millions per year who assembled those teenagers. Anyway, that's not the point.

Tony broke down the statistical progression of many players over the years. His point was to speculate on how dismal the immediate future looks. But the inadvertent result was it was MASSIVE indictment the coaching staff's inability to develop talent.

Yep... so much turnover in the program... not advocating firing Hugs but dang develop the kids and if you can’t shoot and have good guards in today’s game you’re in trouble. My big thing is if they make a mistake quit just yanking them out teach them.

Reactions: jtturner09
We need to get shooters and ball handlers. This can be fixed in one recruitment cycle.

Huggs has spoiled this fan base with success we haven’t seen since Jerry West was playing here.

If things aren’t improved next year then bring on the flaming torches and pitch forks.

Otherwise calm down.

This season was the combo of no Javon and Esa being the worst possible standard for effort and accountability.

Reactions: jtturner09 and Phil
What's puzzling to me how inept the guys look at times - it's almost like they're playiing
their first game ever. Then I think - who evaluated and recruited these guys? Then I
go back to drinking.

I just think it's appropriate to hold Huggins to a higher standard. He's heralded as one of the greatest coaches of all time by WVU fans. He's paid an exorbitant amount of money while essentially having zero accountability on production. Hell, Adrian was going off on the players being selfish and immature and didn't utter neutral, let alone negative, syllable about the coaching.

Maybe it's me, but when posters on this board and others across the fan base insist on including Huggins in the same category with Coach K, Wright, Self, Williams, or even Beilein and Cal, I find it inexcusable to accept a team that very likely could go winless in conference.

Imagine if dook went 4-18 in the ACC.

For my part, I'm going to keep watching and hope we see some player development. That is all we have this year. I think West and Harris, and even Ahmad, would be playing better if we had a Big12 caliber point guard. Beetle at this point is trying to do it all. It is not only going to wear him out but may impede the progress of others trying to learn to play the position. Huggins looked depressed at that last post-game. Have to trust that he will decide when it is time for him to go and until then, when it is time for assistants and players to go.

Coach K would have back problems.......

And Beilein hasn't won a damn thing either. Why you putting him in with that club?
I strongly dislike Beilein and Michigan, in no small part to the university's mishandling of tuition reimbursement that cost me an undue 6k when I attended one of its grad programs.

Buuuuut.....Beilein has been to two NC and is poised to make a run at another.
Though last year's road was unbelievably easy and I fully believe WVU would have made the Finals as well if it was lucky enough to get that slate of opponents.

I strongly dislike Beilein and Michigan, in no small part to the university's mishandling of tuition reimbursement that cost me an undue 6k when I attended one of its grad programs.

Buuuuut.....Beilein has been to two NC and is poised to make a run at another.
Though last year's road was unbelievably easy and I fully believe WVU would have made the Finals as well if it was lucky enough to get that slate of opponents.

Again, what has Beilein WON? Not lost....

Why latch on to Beilein and conveniently ignore that other points or coaches I talked about?

But go ahead and keep ignoring the forest for the trees. Be a little more intellectually honest and I'll continue. I won't waste my time arguing with sycophants.

Why latch on to Beilein and conveniently ignore that other points or coaches I talked about?

But go ahead and keep ignoring the forest for the trees. Be a little more intellectually honest and I'll continue. I won't waste my time arguing with sycophants.

Because you have completely destroyed your argument against Huggins being mentioned with those guys by putting a guy (Beilein) who has not won a damn thing. Showing your bias for/against certain coaches.

That's why.

So Beilein isn't an elite coach because he hasn't won a NC. Ok. He's coached in two.

Huggins has coached in zero. Therefore, Huggins is even further from elite than Beilein, who hasn't won a "damn thing." So then why are we giving an apparent middle of the road a pass on this team? Middle of the road to "good" coaches get raked over the coals for seasons when they go 2-16 in conference...then they get fired. Is Huggins somehow different?

So Beilein isn't an elite coach because he hasn't won a NC. Ok. He's coached in two.

Huggins has coached in zero. Therefore, Huggins is even further from elite than Beilein, who hasn't won a "damn thing." So then why are we giving an apparent middle of the road a pass on this team? Middle of the road to "good" coaches get raked over the coals for seasons when they go 2-16 in conference...then they get fired. Is Huggins somehow different?

You put Beilein in with coaches who have won a national title. That was you, not me. Wake me when Beilein actually wins something.....

Your hatred for Huggs was awful silent the past few seasons......wonder why?

Huggins is a disaster this year. His coaching sucks and he’s making an ass out of himself. He and his staff recruited these D2 players. That’s on Huggs and staff. Plain lazy dumb recruiting. Huggs had to work for Dante Grantham. That’s the example of my point. He is too lazy and arrogant to work for a recruit so he settles on nobody recruits nobody wants mostly. It’s easy to get those guys.

Huggs recruits Harler but won’t recruit CJ Burks or Jon Elmore. Wow!

Zyon Dobbs has no WVU offer but Harler got one after 10th grade. Also Huggs recruits Trey Doomes who absolutely couldn’t shoot the ball in the ocean. But Zyon Dobbs a 6-3 strong, athletic point guard, combo guard has no offer. ??????? Dumb recruiting.

Huggins is a disaster this year. His coaching sucks and he’s making an ass out of himself. He and his staff recruited these D2 players. That’s on Huggs and staff. Plain lazy dumb recruiting. Huggs had to work for Dante Grantham. That’s the example of my point. He is too lazy and arrogant to work for a recruit so he settles on nobody recruits nobody wants mostly. It’s easy to get those guys.

Zyon Dobbs has no WVU offer but Harler got one after 10th grade. Also Huggs recruits Trey Doomes who absolutely couldn’t shoot the ball in the ocean. But Zyon Dobbs a 6-3 strong, athletic point guard, combo guard has no offer. ??????? Dumb recruiting.

Someone needs to ban this tool. He is clueless.

These D-2 players, as you call them, were good enough in the preseason for you to predict Final Four. Were they not? But, you are incorrect 95% of the time.....soooo.....

This year is like a perfect mix of issues. I have a feeling if Sags and Culver played all season, things would be a little different right now. The biggest issue we have is two of our most experience players, Harler and Ahmad are both playing at an all time low. Harler plays hard on D but he sucks big time overall. Ahmad is just flat-out bust for an espn100 recruit with 4 stars. Is it our coaches not developing, or is Esa simply lacking the skills and intangibles to be a really good player and leader? Some people just dont have "it" and when the game is on the line Esa looks like a toddler. That amazing pass he made to the photographers behind the basket when the game was on the line against KSU was a thing of beauty. Esa is out of control. Huggins asks too much of him. He's a role player at best and should never have a green light on offense. In fact you can't even trust him to pass it lol. That part is on Huggs. Ahmad gets some rebounds, and can make some mid range stuff and dunks, but he cant be relied on for anything.

He’d have won one Kenyon Martins last year there had he not broke his leg...

Huge MAYBE. They were good enough but lots of great teams dont win the tournament.

UNC, Duke, win the tournament because they have great teams each season. Essentially they are always good enough to win it all.

Again, what has Beilein WON? Not lost....

Mark Few is considered one of the best coaches in the game and he has never won a championship.

Imo, Brad Stevens might be the best pure coach in basketball and he has never won a national title or NBA championship.

Coach B has his team primed for national title runs. You do that consistently and eventually you win won.

Last edited:
I just think it's appropriate to hold Huggins to a higher standard. He's heralded as one of the greatest coaches of all time by WVU fans. He's paid an exorbitant amount of money while essentially having zero accountability on production. Hell, Adrian was going off on the players being selfish and immature and didn't utter neutral, let alone negative, syllable about the coaching.

Maybe it's me, but when posters on this board and others across the fan base insist on including Huggins in the same category with Coach K, Wright, Self, Williams, or even Beilein and Cal, I find it inexcusable to accept a team that very likely could go winless in conference.

Imagine if dook went 4-18 in the ACC.
2 posts in this thread and 2 references to coaches salary. could it be that someone is jealous of the green???

You can't blame the young men, this is a major coaching failure period. I think Huggs needs to completely shakeup his staff all of them.

2 posts in this thread and 2 references to coaches salary. could it be that someone is jealous of the green???
Do I think someone making millions of dollars per year and treated as an all-time great should be held accountable instead of passing the blame to 18-22 year olds. Absolutely. The way some of you worship Huggins is concerning.

Reactions: SKYHAWKBALL
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT