ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone collect baseball cards?

rog1187

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
My son is starting to get into baseball and baseball cards. I know Beckett used to be the place to go to look at value of cards, but I wasn't sure if they still are or if somewhere else would be a good place to follow.

I used to. Not so much baseball, but football as far as individual players go.

When the SkyBox cards came out for basketball I put together a couple of complete sets.

I have a few complete sets of baseball cards that I bought as a set and never opened the box.

Beckett's was the go to, I assume it still is but haven't looked for years.

I used to. Not so much baseball, but football as far as individual players go.

When the SkyBox cards came out for basketball I put together a couple of complete sets.

I have a few complete sets of baseball cards that I bought as a set and never opened the box.

Beckett's was the go to, I assume it still is but haven't looked for years.

I was on the Beckett site last night and saw some guys talking about leaving their site and going to other sites that they thought were better - didn't list the sites though. McCutchen is his favorite player and wouldn't you know it on his first pack there was a McCutchen card - he was sold. I have to admit it's bringing the kid out in me a little as well. I've just been buying the Topps Series 1 and 2 cards, but there are so many out there that I have no idea what is considered a good card/series to purchase. Cards have come a long way since I was a kid.

Trying to get him a McCutchen signed baseball without breaking the bank - I have a good lead and hope it comes through.

I was on the Beckett site last night and saw some guys talking about leaving their site and going to other sites that they thought were better - didn't list the sites though. McCutchen is his favorite player and wouldn't you know it on his first pack there was a McCutchen card - he was sold. I have to admit it's bringing the kid out in me a little as well. I've just been buying the Topps Series 1 and 2 cards, but there are so many out there that I have no idea what is considered a good card/series to purchase. Cards have come a long way since I was a kid.

Trying to get him a McCutchen signed baseball without breaking the bank - I have a good lead and hope it comes through.

I love stuff like that with my son ... things that bring the kid out of you again. He isn't into sports all that much (although he does swim competitively) as far as watching and having any interest in collecting cards.

My son is a teenager now, but when he was little, it was really incredible discovering the world again through his eyes. Things we come to take for granted are wondrous to them. Things as simple as watching a butterfly we hardly pay attention to, but are absolutely fascinating to little kids.

I hope the McCutchen ball works out for you. I have a Ken Griffey Jr ball, and used to have a Wayne Gretsky puck and Tiger Woods golf ball, but sold those awhile ago. I also have a set in which one is autographed by Don Larsen and the other by Yogi Berra as a reminder of the perfect game in the world series.

My step-mother has been able to get me some WVU stuff recently. Footballs autographed by Oliver Luck and Bill Stewart and a basketball from Desean Butler.

It's fun.

I'm glad you're getting into it with your son.

Mmmmmm I freaking loved that stick of topps gum with the white dust on it, I can smell it now!

As I recall, the smell of the gum was better than the chewing of it. Half the time you'd put it in your mouth and it would just snap in two. It smelled awesome though.

Talking about the smell of the gum reminds me of the Start Trek: The Next Generation episode where a collector of rare items kidnaps Data while making it look like he was killed. So he has Data and he's showing him his collection of rare stuff and one of them in a little glass case was a baseball card, I think Roger Maris 1961. So the kidnapper opens the door to the little glass case and says excitedly "Can you smell that? Bubble gum!"

That was a really good episode and the series was good in general. If someone is looking for something to watch and they've not already seen those shows, take a look. I don't think you even have to be big into science fiction to appreciate them.

I love stuff like that with my son ... things that bring the kid out of you again. He isn't into sports all that much (although he does swim competitively) as far as watching and having any interest in collecting cards.

My son is a teenager now, but when he was little, it was really incredible discovering the world again through his eyes. Things we come to take for granted are wondrous to them. Things as simple as watching a butterfly we hardly pay attention to, but are absolutely fascinating to little kids.

I hope the McCutchen ball works out for you. I have a Ken Griffey Jr ball, and used to have a Wayne Gretsky puck and Tiger Woods golf ball, but sold those awhile ago. I also have a set in which one is autographed by Don Larsen and the other by Yogi Berra as a reminder of the perfect game in the world series.

My step-mother has been able to get me some WVU stuff recently. Footballs autographed by Oliver Luck and Bill Stewart and a basketball from Desean Butler.

It's fun.

I'm glad you're getting into it with your son.

He's watching a lot of baseball...so much that he's picking up the routines of the players like the arm stance the Pirates make after a big hit...I saw him do it one day after getting to 2nd base and couldn't stop laughing.

20150615pdPirates06-1.jpg

I came home with a Huggins signed basketball...which I thought would be mine...it's now in his room.

Reactions: WhiteTailEER
Lol, I'm a Mets fan from watching the 69 world series with my Dad, he was an Orioles fan!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT