ADVERTISEMENT

And Huggs was right.

He's a basketball coach, not a social worker.

This is such a stupid argument.
Huggins isn't just there for basketball. A lot of these players aren't coming from great families.
Huggins as the head coach becomes a father figure.
It is more than basketball. I am sure Huggins tried to look out for Allen. That doesn't mean Allen listen real well. Probably the reason why Allen left.

Kicking a guy off the team that Huggins could have helped was right?

Bleeding hearts to understand the real world. A spot on a major college or indeed on any college team is an opportunity that is earned. A young player hope
Huggins isn't just there for basketball. A lot of these players aren't coming from great families.
It is more than basketball. I am sure Huggins tried to look out for Allen. That doesn't mean Allen listen real well. Probably the reason why Allen left.

You really live up to your moniker do you not?

Huggins is the head basketball coach at WVU, if you would be so kind as to point to the lines in his contract that says he has to hold the hands and be the "daddy and mommy" of some self-entitled little wannabe.

His job is to seek out recruits that he believes he can train into a team that will allow him to keep his job and if all that goes well, to send on to the professional options. He is not a case worker. He is not some slumps mentor. He is not their patsy when they run afoul of the law. He is their coach - nothing more. That is all WVU pays him to be.

I can see you never coached little league baseball let alone college basketball.

Even coaches in the NFL and NBA form lasting bonds with their players.
Huggins gets 18 year old kids. He is doing more than teaching basketball. A lot of what he teaches is stuff off the court. Sometimes it is through basketball other times it is not.

No one is blaming Huggins. It is Allen's responsibility. There is a reason why Allen is not at WV and it is not because of basketball.

He's not here. Not our problem.

Huggins is not there to kiss the bumps and bruises. He's the coach. If the kid doesn't listen then a relationship can not be built. Anyway glad he wasn't here when it happened.

Reactions: Rootmaster
I can see you never coached little league baseball let alone college basketball.

Huggins gets 18 year old kids. He is doing more than teaching basketball. A lot of what he teaches is stuff off the court. Sometimes it is through basketball other times it is not.

No one is blaming Huggins. It is Allen's responsibility. There is a reason why Allen is not at WV and it is not because of basketball.

He's 21 years old. He should know better than this. He has screwed up his life now and needs serious counseling. It's up to him if he wants help. It's not Huggins job to baby sit these kids.

So all the players in the NFL that failed at life, murdered others and beat people half to death. The coaches did not teach those adults about life. Made sure they were properly cared for and tucked in tight with a bedside story. Fluffed their pillows and kissed them good night. Terrible terrible coaches. They should know better.

Kicking a guy off the team that Huggins could have helped was right?

Maybe he was too far gone to come back. Sometimes people have to hit bottom before they can change. That may mean a long time of bad behavior which a program can not tolerate. No rear view mirror here for me.

All I said was Huggs was right to not let things continue as they were. Whether he was kicked off or left of his own accord that was totally up to the player and his attitude.

Reactions: DoogEER

They form lasting bonds because the PLAYER forges it because the PLAYER wants to be on the team. The coach can either accept that situation or not. Good coaches do. But the effort is all on the player, not on the coach. Once forged it is more equitable.

Also, you do not know, so do no presume something of which there is a good chance you are ignorant of. I would suggest you use that advice in dealing with any one else on these or any other boards. Otherwise, you come across as your moniker suggests and in spite of your self-anointment of that dubious title, I do not think you meant it in any seriousness.

You’re a total nimrod if you think every kid responds to tough love or is worth dealing with when a coach has the rest of a team to consider.

OMG you’re pathetic.
tqoaUFj.gif

Most fans observed Huggs try "Huggins-style" disciplinary actions against Teddy during his time here for whatever he was doing (or not doing) at the time. Hard to tell what additional things were going on away from the court. Some kids respond and some don't. Sometimes coaches have to question whether a player's toxic presence, bad attitude and maybe questionable character is going to start rubbing off on other players.

I hate the path that Teddy has chosen for himself, but those consequences do not fall on Huggs shoulders. What's the old saying...."You can lead a horse to water, but can't force it to drink". Gotta be responsible for the choices you do AND don't make in life.

I want Huggs to focus on winning an NC and send the trash packing for good. These arent kids they are adults. If Teddy doesnt understand how what he did was wrong at his age, then I assure you anything Huggs says will be moot.

ADVERTISEMENT