ADVERTISEMENT

Am I wrong, but were the RBs blind ...

The Bell Tolls for Thee

All-Conference
Feb 15, 2005
or not allowed to run anywhere other than the play call. Seemed to me on multiple occasions Petteway would run like it was off tackle or between tackle and guard. The outside would be wide open, yet he would run into the back of the O-line or right into the ISU defender plugging the gap. I know he is not the fastest but could've at least got some yards instead of getting stuffed. Montgomery did that multiple times when there was no hole at the line.

I’ve said in other threads that McCoy and Pettaway are not very good. McCoy needs a huge hole to go anywhere and has no breakaway speed. He’s too slim, light. Pettaway lacks vision among other things.

Leddie Brown not playing was a huge loss. Sinkfield has been out 4 games now. He needs to get healthy. McCoy and Pettaway are 3-4 string when Leddie Brown and Sinkfield are healthy. I guarantee McCoy transfers out after this year. He will be 4-5 string next year.

We have no running plays outside the tackles. Every running play we have is RPO. We have no pitches or sweeps.

True, but when the defense crashes into the middle, why can't our RBs bounce it to the outside. Are they so rigidly sticking to the play call that they'd rather run into defenders than deviate from the play call to gain yards?

WVU's O-line is out of sync. The side the Cajuste anchors is solid, the other side is a mess. The backs don't want to run to that side, so teams slide extra support to the solid side after the snap knowing they can handle the other side man on man., then slide off blocks to make the play if it does happen to come back their way.

The backs are smart enough to know they're being suckered.

WVU's O-line depth is full of young players and J.C.'s. It takes about three seasons of working together for an O-line to play well as a unit. WVU doesn't have but a few of those guys, and definitely not enough function consistently as a unit.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT