(Steve Dunlap) (Safties)
FS Jerry Porter, Bo Orlando, Jahmile Addae
SS Karl Joseph, Ryan Mundy, Robert Sands, Mike Lorello

K Paul Woodside
P Todd Sauerbrun/Pat McAfee

KR Tavon, Antonio Brown
PR Pacman, Fulton Walker

Reactions: ddorsey608
You really know how to start a sh*t storm with your first post. Are you wvpaper?

I doubt seriously that anyone would want to make you a jeffi sandwich unless it was two other guys.

I would address each of your selections but I'm not that interested.

However, RR is, was and has proven to be an average coach at best.

Reactions: 3xWVUenginEER
You really know how to start a sh*t storm with your first post. Are you wvpaper?

I doubt seriously that anyone would want to make you a jeffi sandwich unless it was two other guys.

I would address each of your selections but I'm not that interested.

However, RR is, was and has proven to be an average coach at best.
I think his selections were great. However, your assertion Rodriguez was average "at best" is hilarious.

Rich wasn't much as a player or a coach. He did well against the Little Sisters of The Poor after Miami, VPI, and BC took a powder, but so did a very mediocre Rutgers program, jumping to 10-1 the year after the complete split.

Let's face it, Rich is the man who single handedly destroyed one of the most storied programs in college football history, Michigan. He ought to thank his lucky stars he didn't get the Alabama job. They would have tarred, feathered and thrown him in the Black Warrior River if he'd landed there and performed like that.

Nehlen wouldn't have dropped a game to the bunch of stiffs WVU played in the dying Big East unless the Plague struck Morgantown out of blue. Rich couldn't carry Don's raquetball equipment.

I see where reason and rationality are still banished from this board.
Rich is 108-68 at WVU, Michigan and Arizona, for 61.4% winning percentage. That isn't chopped liver.
Don is 202-128-8 at WVU, his only major college coaching record. That's 61.2% winning percentage. Pretty much Don and Rich are equal.

Don went unbeaten in 2 seasons, 1988 (only 2 opponents with winning records) and 1993. Rich had WVU within grasp of playing for the national title before losing to 4-7 Pitt.

Remember, we're talking ONLY coach records here (and, to be fair, Don was going to Ohio State before the Buckeyes backed off).
Rich, Bobby Bowden, Jim Carlen, Don Nehlen and Clarence "Doc" Spears, in my opinion, are the best coaches WVU has ever had. You can dispute how to arrange them from 1 to 5. But to disparage any of them as coaches only points to your inability to separate anger from facts.
Major Harris and Pat White, in my opinion, are the best QBs in WVU history. Not a knock on the others. It's just that some are better than others even though all were good at WVU.

Last edited:
CFE, always respect your opinion but RR is a combined 38-42 since leaving WV; the state not the school. While he had a good run at WVU it was undoubtedly against lesser competition.

He won a BE title outright ONCE in his tenure against that competition. If close enough on an NC is great actually playing for two is phenomenal, Don did that.

Even at Glenville RR could only manage one outright title. He can come close but no cigar!

CFE, always respect your opinion but RR is a combined 38-42 since leaving WV; the state not the school. While he had a good run at WVU it was undoubtedly against lesser competition.

He won a BE title outright ONCE in his tenure against that competition. If close enough on an NC is great actually playing for two is phenomenal, Don did that.

Even at Glenville RR could only manage one outright title. He can come close but no cigar!
RR did a better job than your giving credit for his teams had 3 consecutive top ten finishes something no other coach has done at wvu. He might not have had any success at Michigan but that program wasn't the right fit for him anyway and he didn't have 100% backing from the alumni. He took Arizona to the Fiesta bowl in his 3rd year and they are happy to have him. He may not be the best coach but to say he is average at best is a little unfair. I doubt Mark Stoops or Mark Richt 2 of the bums that you have coveted would have the same success as Rich did at Wvu

Reactions: GoWVU
You really know how to start a sh*t storm with your first post.

Yada yada yada

I would address each of your selections but I'm not that interedted.

Exactly.

i will say having Dick as the HC and Don as a QB coach and assistant HC just screams, "watch this $#!+" even more so than the ridiculousness of naming wRs not named foreman or sanders to this list.

It's a fun list to think about really. Imagine Dana calling Air Raid plays with a Rich coached team & with running QBs.

I'd go with Nehlen as head coach for experience & leadership. Only guy to get WVU to the title game. Hall of Fame. 20 years of service to the program. Brings sound defense as well.

Rod as offensive coordinator. His principles fit Nehlen's: if I can run the ball & you can't, I win. Both coaches were at their best with option offense & mobile QBs plus had elite RBs. Philosophy wise they could co-exist.

Dana may be good with the receivers. Maybe those inside or outside. I'd bring back Galloway to at least co-coach receivers because he was a beast recruiter who brought several of the program's best ever players.

Reactions: WVex-pat in GA
It's a fun list to think about really. Imagine Dana calling Air Raid plays with a Rich coached team & with running QBs.

I'd go with Nehlen as head coach for experience & leadership. Only guy to get WVU to the title game. Hall of Fame. 20 years of service to the program. Brings sound defense as well.

Rod as offensive coordinator. His principles fit Nehlen's: if I can run the ball & you can't, I win. Both coaches were at their best with option offense & mobile QBs plus had elite RBs. Philosophy wise they could co-exist.

Dana may be good with the receivers. Maybe those inside or outside. I'd bring back Galloway to at least co-coach receivers because he was a beast recruiter who brought several of the program's best ever players.

More realistic approach.

Rich was a legend in his own mind. There you have it. Rich found the gold that was buried in the Arizona hills. He ain't coming back.

One big difference between Nehlen and the product...the latter had something to build on. Nehlen did not. For some reason, Don does not get the credit he deserves in general. Maybe it's a short term memory issue.

One big difference between Nehlen and the product...the latter had something to build on. Nehlen did not. For some reason, Don does not get the credit he deserves in general. Maybe it's a short term memory issue.
Nehlen didn't have anything to build on? I guess Oliver Luck and Darryl Talley were nothing. Maybe it's a long term memory issue. Lol

The fans who only know WVU football during that era all think that. I find that hilarious also.
i guess it's hilarious that Rodriguez teams delivered 3 consecutive 11 win seasons. Something never accomplished before in WVU history. Nehlen was a good coach. Rodriguez is just better.

i guess it's hilarious that Rodriguez teams delivered 3 consecutive 11 win seasons. Something never accomplished before in WVU history. Nehlen was a good coach. Rodriguez is just better.

Against a glorified CUSA schedule. How did Rich do with a bowl team Don left him against a pitiful Temple team led by Walter "Fat Albert" Washington at home that initial season?

You must be one of the spawn Richie is said to left strewn around the northern part of state. What is it they call you fellas whose daddies won't marry their moms? If I were you, I'd call Maury to resolve the issue. It would do you a world of good to know for sure.

Against a glorified CUSA schedule. How did Rich do with a bowl team Don left him against a pitiful Temple team led by Walter "Fat Albert" Washington at home that initial season?

You must be one of the spawn Richie is said to left strewn around the northern part of state. What is it they call you fellas whose daddies won't marry their moms? If I were you, I'd call Maury to resolve the issue. It would do you a world of good to know for sure.
lmao here we go again. Bringing up Rods first year with a bare cupboard of talent losing to temple. Yet you conveniently ignore his last 3 years at WVU. And you fail to comprehend Rod finished no worse than 2nd place in the old big east in 3 of his 4 years playing Miami, VT, and BC. One of those years he finished tied for 1st place with Miami. Here's some advice, put down the moonshine and fireworks and stop posting until you sober up.

Last edited:
Nehlen didn't have anything to build on? I guess Oliver Luck and Darryl Talley were nothing. Maybe it's a long term memory issue. Lol
My long term memory says that before Don, wvu had 5 losing seasons out of six and that Luck and Talley did not have a winning season before he arrived. Nehlen put WVU football on the national scene. Under his leadership, we played for a national championship definitely once and possibly twice. As I said, he often does not get the credit he deserves for the job he did and the loyalty he showed. I also do not question what the product accomplished only the way he left the program. From a long term stand, loyalty mattered. From a short term stand, maybe it doesn't.

Reactions: pressvirginia
Noel Devine and Robert Walker both deserve a spot over Sims.

Rodney Woodard at FB was a beast

How do you leave out Darrell Whitmore? He ended up in baseball IIRC, but he was the 3-4th best DB we ever had here...regardless of position.

Poor Jerry Porter. He should have been a star here, but Dandy Don had no idea what to do with him.

Reactions: WVU80ate
My long term memory says that before Don, wvu had 5 losing seasons out of six and that Luck and Talley did not have a winning season before he arrived. Nehlen put WVU football on the national scene. Under his leadership, we played for a national championship definitely once and possibly twice. As I said, he often does not get the credit he deserves for the job he did and the loyalty he showed. I also do not question what the product accomplished only the way he left the program. From a long term stand, loyalty mattered. From a short term stand, maybe it doesn't.
lmao good lord. Luck and Talley were freshmen and sophomores when Nehlen came. The point was, Nehlen was given talent to work with as well as a brand new state of the art football stadium to recruit with. Nehlen was a good coach, but let's keep up with the facts.

And all time coaching staff (post 1980)

Rich Rodriguez (Head Coach)

(Don Nehlen) (Qbs, assistant HC)
QB
Major Harris
Geno Smith
Pat White
Marc Bulger
Jeff Hostetler

(Calvin Magee) (RBs/FBs)
RB
Steve Slaton
Amos Zereoue
Adrian Murrell
Avon Cobourne
Charles Sims

(Magee)
FB
Owen Schmitt
Ron Wolfley
Will Johnson

(Dana Holgorsen) (OC/WRs)
WR
Chris Henry
Kevin White
Tavon Austin
Jerry Porter
James Jett
Stedman Bailey
Darius Reynaud
Reggie Rembert

(Bill Stewart) (TE, Special teams)
TE
Anthony Becht
Lovett Purnell
Mark Raugh

(Rick Trickett) (OL)
LT Solomon Page, Lance Nimmo
LG Mike Compton, Kevin Landolt
C Rich Braham, Dan Mozes
RG Quinton Spain, Mark Glowinkski
RT Brian Joswiak, Don Barclay, Jack Linn

(Bill Kirlav) (DL)
DT John Browning, Henry Slay, Julian Miller
NT John Thornton, Chris Neild, Kelein Dykes
DE Mike Fox, David Grant, Will Clarke

(Jeff Casteel) (LBs)
LB Bruce Irvin, Canute Curtis, JT Thomas
LB Daryl Talley, Barrett Green, Steve Grant
LB Grant Wiley, Dennis Fowlkes, Najee Goode
LB Renaldo Turnbull, Gary Stills, James Davis

(Tony Gibson) (CBs)
CB Pacman Jones, Mike Logan, Daryl Worley
CB Aaron Beasley, Charles Fisher, Brandon Hogan/Keith Tandy

(Steve Dunlap) (Safties)

K Paul Woodside

KR Tavon, Antonio Brown
PR Pacman, Fulton Walker

I like your list . . . can't think of too many others. I'll take it a step further with the all-time offensive starters (post 1980):

QB - Major Harris
RB - Amos Zereoue, Adrian Murrell
FB - The Runaway Beer Truck
WR - Chris Henry, Jerry Porter, Tavon Austin, James Jett
TE - Lovett Purnell

Hmm, must be July :)

I think some of you people are mistaken to say w/o BC in a watered down BE. WVU owns those clowns. DickRod still would have beat them. VT? maybe.

I see where reason and rationality are still banished from this board.
Rich is 108-68 at WVU, Michigan and Arizona, for 61.4% winning percentage. That isn't chopped liver.
Don is 202-128-8 at WVU, his only major college coaching record. That's 61.2% winning percentage. Pretty much Don and Rich are equal.

Don went unbeaten in 2 seasons, 1988 (only 2 opponents with winning records) and 1993. Rich had WVU within grasp of playing for the national title before losing to 4-7 Pitt.

Remember, we're talking ONLY coach records here
(and, to be fair, Don was going to Ohio State before the Buckeyes backed off).
Rich, Bobby Bowden, Jim Carlen, Don Nehlen and Clarence "Doc" Spears, in my opinion, are the best coaches WVU has ever had. You can dispute how to arrange them from 1 to 5. But to disparage any of them as coaches only points to your inability to separate anger from facts.
Major Harris and Pat White, in my opinion, are the best QBs in WVU history. Not a knock on the others. It's just that some are better than others even though all were good at WVU.

Joseph, I think you're mistaken on this one. Don did say No Thank You to Ohio St in 87. Don knew what kind of team he had returning.

QB
Major Harris
Geno Smith
Pat White
Marc Bulger
Jeff Hostetler

(Calvin Magee) (RBs/FBs)
RB
Steve Slaton
Amos Zereoue
Adrian Murrell
Avon Cobourne
Charles Sims

(Magee)
FB
Owen Schmitt
Ron Wolfley
Will Johnson

WR
Chris Henry
Kevin White
Tavon Austin
Jerry Porter
James Jett
Stedman Bailey
Darius Reynaud
Reggie Rembert

TE
Anthony Becht
Lovett Purnell
Mark Raugh

(Rick Trickett) (OL)
C Rich Braham, Dan Mozes

(Bill Kirlav) (DL)

(Jeff Casteel) (LBs)

(Tony Gibson) (CBs)

(Steve Dunlap) (Safties)

K Paul Woodside
VXDygB.gif[

KR Tavon, Antonio Brown
PR Pacman, Fulton Walker

QB
Major Harris
Geno Smith
Pat White
Marc Bulger
Jeff Hostetler

(Calvin Magee) (RBs/FBs)
RB
Steve Slaton
Amos Zereoue
Adrian Murrell
Avon Cobourne
Charles Sims

(Magee)
FB
Owen Schmitt
Ron Wolfley
Will Johnson

WR
Chris Henry
Kevin White
Tavon Austin
Jerry Porter
James Jett
Stedman Bailey
Darius Reynaud
Reggie Rembert

TE
Anthony Becht
Lovett Purnell
Mark Raugh

(Rick Trickett) (OL)
C Rich Braham, Dan Mozes

(Bill Kirlav) (DL)

(Jeff Casteel) (LBs)

(Tony Gibson) (CBs)

(Steve Dunlap) (Safties)

K Paul Woodside

KR Tavon, Antonio Brown
PR Pacman, Fulton Walker
VXDygB.gif

Joseph, I think you're mistaken on this one. Don did say No Thank You to Ohio St in 87. Don knew what kind of team he had returning.
lmao!!!!! Don DID NOT turn Ohio State down. He wasn't even offered the job. If he had been, he would have left.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT