ADVERTISEMENT

All eyes on 2023 for conference realignment

WVUALLEN

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Aug 5, 2009
2017 article...

The Pac-12 deal expires after the 2023-24 sports year, and the Big 12's ends the following year.

The question down the road will be whether any conferences want to add schools that they feel will strengthen them in football, whether it's because of an upcoming rights fee deal, or they feel it would strengthen their conference network.

So it might come down to the Big 12 and Pac-12.

The Big 12 is still perceived as the most vulnerable, as Texas or Oklahoma could cripple the league by leaving. But revenue totals are encouraging -- its 10 members will split $348 million from the 2016-17 academic year -- and the internal squabbling that has plagued the conference seems to have disappeared.

The Pac-12's forecast, meanwhile, is less encouraging, and its revenue gap with other Power 5 leagues will widen before the next rights negotiation. Cal's athletic department lost $21.7 million in the 2016 fiscal year. Although the Pac-12's geography and tradition suggests members won't be looking to leave, something needs to shift before 2023.

As an industry insider said, "The Big 12's making strides, while the Pac-12 is falling behind." Another asked, "Can other conferences take advantage of the Pac-12?"

For those who love league stability, enjoy these years. For realignment fanatics, your time is likely coming again in 2023.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/19743196/why-2023-next-big-date-conference-shuffling

My personal thought is Big 12 will add Arizona and Arizona State. Pac 12 will be desperate and add BYU and possibly Boise State.

My personal thought is Big 12 will add Arizona and Arizona State. Pac 12 will be desperate and add BYU and possibly Boise State.

I agree. However, when the time comes could see the Big 12-2=10 go big to 16 and get ahead of the curve. That would BYU and Boise State in play for the Big 12-2=10 as well...along with a Florida school (either USF or UCF) and Houston too. Then again, the powers to be might sit on their hands and wait to implode if Tx and Ok leave.

I don't believe the Big Xii will go any where and my reasons are as follows:

1. Oklahoma is tied to T Boone Pickens State. That's why the SEC which is the only real threat, won't take them. Texas likes fighting with Oklahoma.

2. Ego. In Austin & Normon, they have them and they're on the level with anyone in college sports. In the Big Xii they both got stroke! They don't have stroke in the SEC (Oklahoma) or the B1G (Texas) or the off chance of the PAC (both Texas & Oklahoma). The ACC is out. I think the PAC is out too cause they blew it last time.

Plus the ego gets you people that want to bring you down from the beginning. Especially going somewhere where you're the new flavor of the time and there are 4 other longtime family members to tell you that don't work around here. They don't like adjusting.

3. They're are consequences to a divorce when you decide to leave a pretty good situation. Ask A&M, Colorado, Mizzoo, and Nebraska how well things gone on the field since bailing. It's not all been roses and champagne.

-A&M did get a Heisman and away from Texas but they're 25-23 in the SEC conference. They did get Jimbo too but it is costing them A LOT.
-Colorado had 1 good year and has had 2 coaches And went 13-42. That is pretty bad.
-Mizzoo got to the SEC Title Game twice from the SEC Least but they've also went 21-25.
-Nebraska has done the best of the schools in their new conference (32-24) but they're on their 3rd coach and they've lost a lot of tradition by choice. No Oklahoma, No Colorado, and recruiting from Texas is not as easy as it once was when you play games in the rust belt.

But then again idk. The whole system may be different then. I got 1000000+ more important things to do before then. I am more interested in 5 more years of Pick'm starting week 1 of 2018.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
2017 article...

The Pac-12 deal expires after the 2023-24 sports year, and the Big 12's ends the following year.

The question down the road will be whether any conferences want to add schools that they feel will strengthen them in football, whether it's because of an upcoming rights fee deal, or they feel it would strengthen their conference network.

So it might come down to the Big 12 and Pac-12.

The Big 12 is still perceived as the most vulnerable, as Texas or Oklahoma could cripple the league by leaving. But revenue totals are encouraging -- its 10 members will split $348 million from the 2016-17 academic year -- and the internal squabbling that has plagued the conference seems to have disappeared.

The Pac-12's forecast, meanwhile, is less encouraging, and its revenue gap with other Power 5 leagues will widen before the next rights negotiation. Cal's athletic department lost $21.7 million in the 2016 fiscal year. Although the Pac-12's geography and tradition suggests members won't be looking to leave, something needs to shift before 2023.

As an industry insider said, "The Big 12's making strides, while the Pac-12 is falling behind." Another asked, "Can other conferences take advantage of the Pac-12?"

For those who love league stability, enjoy these years. For realignment fanatics, your time is likely coming again in 2023.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/19743196/why-2023-next-big-date-conference-shuffling

The thoughts expressed in this article are part of the reason Lyons is scheduling 2 P5 schools basically every year in the out of conference part of the schedule...... Big TV exposure. Additional branding across the country. Continuing to build WVU as a national brand which gets big TV audiences. Network favorite. National following. Not afraid to play heavy weights from all the other P5 conferences. Probably a pretty good strategy for WVU to utilize while the conference situation is still in flux. Just my thoughts....................

I don't believe the Big Xii will go any where and my reasons are as follows:

1. Oklahoma is tied to T Boone Pickens State. That's why the SEC which is the only real threat, won't take them. Texas likes fighting with Oklahoma.

2. Ego. In Austin & Normon, they have them and they're on the level with anyone in college sports. In the Big Xii they both got stroke! They don't have stroke in the SEC (Oklahoma) or the B1G (Texas) or the off chance of the PAC (both Texas & Oklahoma). The ACC is out. I think the PAC is out too cause they blew it last time.

Plus the ego gets you people that want to bring you down from the beginning. Especially going somewhere where you're the new flavor of the time and there are 4 other longtime family members to tell you that don't work around here. They don't like adjusting.

3. They're are consequences to a divorce when you decide to leave a pretty good situation. Ask A&M, Colorado, Mizzoo, and Nebraska how well things gone on the field since bailing. It's not all been roses and champagne.

-A&M did get a Heisman and away from Texas but they're 25-23 in the SEC conference. They did get Jimbo too but it is costing them A LOT.
-Colorado had 1 good year and has had 2 coaches And went 13-42. That is pretty bad.
-Mizzoo got to the SEC Title Game twice from the SEC Least but they've also went 21-25.
-Nebraska has done the best of the schools in their new conference (32-24) but they're on their 3rd coach and they've lost a lot of tradition by choice. No Oklahoma, No Colorado, and recruiting from Texas is not as easy as it once was when you play games in the rust belt.

But then again idk. The whole system may be different then. I got 1000000+ more important things to do before then. I am more interested in 5 more years of Pick'm starting week 1 of 2018.

Those are all good reasons that the Big XII will stay together and possibly add teams to the conference when the media contract ends.

If WVU can't get into a conference with some teams closer so it's easier to get to away games, Then I'd like
to see the Big 12 go after getting Mizzo and Nebraska back into the Conference. Quality programs
that seem out of place where they are now.

g 12 go after getting Mizzo and Nebraska back into the Conference. Quality programs

And just why lol would Missouri and Nebraska walk from the two highest profile, earnings conferences that are stable to rejoin one the two most shaky conferences in the Big 12-2=10? They did leave the Texas-Oklahoma conference for a reason you know.

Nebraska and Mizzu are not coming back. Maybe the big 12 has a shot at poaching AU and ASU from the pac 12 down the road, (which doesn't help WVU travel.) I love to get Arkansas, they would make since in the b12, but they most likely wouldn't come.

Although Big 12 would be better fit and competitive for Arkansas, I don't see them leaving SEC. Unless things fall apart and OU is forced to leave then Big 12 will stay fit. Texas although not winning at the moment holds all the cards. They are perhaps the only team from Big 12 that could go independent if forced to do so.

In the Big 12 OU & Texas are making money so I don't see a break up.

I wouldn't mind a return of Colorado if a partner could be found. Great trip, John Denver Bowl. Beautiful place. Big12 footprint. State School. Not a powerhouse but a good add.

Nobody that left the Big 12 is coming back, get that out of your head now. If you want to have a real discussion about conference realignment you need to take your homer glasses off.

The Big 12 has no conference channel, they have the Longhorn Network. Arizona, Florida State or any P5 conference member is not joining a conference that answers to Texas. If you want to try and convince yourself that a Pac 12 or ACC member is leaving a far superior conference in prestige stability and academic strength then you are still wearing those homer glasses.

If the B1G offered Oklahoma a spot they are gone. My best guess is West Virginia needs to look at the ACC or SEC if they want to stay in a P4 conference. That would be a better fit than being on an island like they are now. Texas doesn't care about what happens to the rest of the Big 12, they love the power position they hold over everyone. Oklahoma is going to bolt for greener pastures.

The Big 12 is not built to last, it won't but West Virginia will not be left in the cold imo. They will be in the SEC or ACC in less than 10 years.

Reactions: Rootmaster
Nobody that left the Big 12 is coming back, get that out of your head now. If you want to have a real discussion about conference realignment you need to take your homer glasses off.

The Big 12 has no conference channel, they have the Longhorn Network. Arizona, Florida State or any P5 conference member is not joining a conference that answers to Texas. If you want to try and convince yourself that a Pac 12 or ACC member is leaving a far superior conference in prestige stability and academic strength then you are still wearing those homer glasses.

If the B1G offered Oklahoma a spot they are gone. My best guess is West Virginia needs to look at the ACC or SEC if they want to stay in a P4 conference. That would be a better fit than being on an island like they are now. Texas doesn't care about what happens to the rest of the Big 12, they love the power position they hold over everyone. Oklahoma is going to bolt for greener pastures.

The Big 12 is not built to last, it won't but West Virginia will not be left in the cold imo. They will be in the SEC or ACC in less than 10 years.

PAC 12 is not built to last. They have 4 major teams that will want to stay together in UCLA, USC, Stanford and California The PAC is dead last and losing money faster than water goes down the drain. PAC is in serious trouble.

WVU has been rejected by ACC more times than the local prostitute has.

So you think OU would prefer joining B1G to become a mediocre team like Nebraska. Another factor is OU and Okie State are tied at the hip. They come as a pair where every they go. The Pac 12 is in serious trouble of losing teams. The battle, if realignment returns, will be between PAC and Big 12. Big 12 top teams already rejected PAC. I see Big 12 stealing 2 from PAC (Arizona and Arizona State) and then PAC will offer BYU and either Boise or Colorado State. But PAC could stay the same and Big 12 finally takes BYU and CSU.

Big 12 will not grow farther east. As much as we want it too it ain't happening. Then again everything could stay the same and 2 teams will be added to CFP.

SEC and B1G are happy with 14 and will not want to grow. ACC is waiting for ND and nobody else.

The best bet for WVU is to pray Big 12 doesn't fold cause ACC nor SEC will invite them.

Reactions: Rootmaster
If WVU can't get into a conference with some teams closer so it's easier to get to away games, Then I'd like
to see the Big 12 go after getting Mizzo and Nebraska back into the Conference. Quality programs
that seem out of place where they are now.
You know there are a few teams in the American conference that say the same thing about us.....maybe one day WVU will get fed up and miss playing us.

The truth is the Big Ten is making a push to add Oklahoma and Texas but they do not want to add them with their fan bases feeling like their model will change

Texas and Oklahoma are both sitting above the fray and have the decision in their hands.
More so Texas as it seems like Texas is in a William Faulker novel in post Civil War Mississippi.
With their world falling a part but hanging onto their culture.

The question is of course ND.

Texas and Oklahoma could go West with ND and Navy and then have the Pac 12 negotiate with NBC and NBC Sports.

2022-2023 is a huge year because the Big Ten's media rights with their first and second tier rights will have to be extended

But FOX is having issues over Anti Trust and the Big Ten is having issues with Spectrum over Big Ten Network on out of market cable packages

So the Big Ten Network could be just as horrible as the Pac 12 Network in amount of households

Last edited:
Pac 12 is on narrow ground with the Arizona schools
The best chance I see is Pac 12 commish Larry Scott plays the fool still and UofA and ASU jump to the Big XII and the Big XII goes to two divisions

South
The 4 Texas schools
2 new Arizona schools

North
The rest

With the Red River Game being protected
Only thing possibly happening in the next 5 years

Oklahoma State fits into the SEC not OU
Oklahoma State is a short drive to Fayetteville
OU sees what is going on with Mizzou.
Both schools are the South meeting the Midwest
More importantly Oklahoma State represents the part of Oklahoma known as Little Dixie in the SE Corner
Reason why Oklahoma A&M now known as Oklahoma State was in the SWC before the Big 8
OU wants academic prestige.
Something the SEC cannot give
OU can only get this in the B1G, Pac and ACC

Anyone who says Oklahoma to the SEC does not understand the true intentions of OU
The Pac XII will not make sense same as the Big.
The ACC wants Texas as the 16th member

If you see UT take up lacrosse then you might see Texas in the ACC

But Texas is the master of the plantation with OU as the boss
Plantation ain't going anywhere unless Texas or OU pick otherwise

ADVERTISEMENT