ADVERTISEMENT

WVU Release Ahmad to return for senior season

Keenan Cummings

Fact Based and Wonderful
Staff
Sep 16, 2007
Ahmad Returns for Senior Season

MORGANTOWN, W.Va. (May 1, 2018) –West Virginia University forward Esa Ahmad has withdrawn his name from the 2018 NBA Draft and will return for his senior season at WVU.

A native of Cleveland, Ahmad averaged 10.2 points and 5.5 rebounds per game last season as a junior. He has played in 89 career games with 82 starts and needs 238 points to become West Virginia’s 53rd 1,000-point scorer.

“We are pleased that Esa will be back for his senior season,” coach Bob Huggins said. “Esa was able to explore his options and gain valuable feedback from NBA professionals that will help him in the future.”

If Sags comes back I don’t see how Bob couldn’t coach them to a national title. We replaced 2 senior guards with some very talented guards plus everyone else is returning. Literally every player that played is back except for 2.

Kansas and the other blue bloods lost everybody. Literally everybody.

Oceantide fill us in? I just figure it’s what we already knew in that he isn’t NBA material. Anything else?

Good news. He has the talent to be a top player in college ball. If he can stay motivated and play up to his ability, he can definitely make this team a challenger for the B12 title. If Sags returns, there is no question that we are one of the top dogs in the hunt.

Elite guard play is what gets teams to the final 4. We just lost our backcourt. We have good replacements but Carter and Miles’ experience is a huge loss. Not sure if 2018-19 will result in a team that can go deep into tournament. I think 2019-20 season looks to be special. Guards will be veterans again that year.
If Sags comes back I don’t see how Bob couldn’t coach them to a national title. We replaced 2 senior guards with some very talented guards plus everyone else is returning. Literally every player that played is back except for 2.

Elite guard play is what gets teams to the final 4. We just lost our backcourt. We have good replacements but Carter and Miles’ experience is a huge loss. Not sure if 2018-19 will result in a team that can go deep into tournament. I think 2019-20 season looks to be special. Guards will be veterans again that year.

It will be tough to develop the chemistry Carter and Miles had, but maybe by tournament time we’ll have a solid rotation.

No one on this team is capable of replacing Carter. Losing these two Gs will hurt WVU in some games.

No one on this team is capable of replacing Carter. Losing these two Gs will hurt WVU in some games.

Greg- you're absolutely correct on this. Every team that has EVER been successful, did so with good guards. Just because a forward may come back, doesn't get you a title. Its the ones who can actually handle the rock. And not some the rock like someone I know.......Cough Cough uder.

Reactions: Pitt4Life34
I would prefer a team grow and improve through the season and not one that has a collapse in the middle or near the end. This coming team will be one that improves through the year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT