ADVERTISEMENT

After last night's loss to the Leaf's, I expect big some big trades moving forward

Original Mountaineer1

Heisman Winner
Aug 27, 2001
  • How many glorious chances does Phil Kessel need per game to score? He had at least 3 last night
  • While the PP scored a goal, it took a high risk pass from Sid (under a leaf's leg) to get the puck across the ice. There was another PP where the team was buzzing and couldn't score. Otherwise nothing. Time to separate Malkin and Sid and get them on separate units. I also don't understand why they don't try two defensemen playing the points. The single player on top can't hold the puck in the zone once it passes the player on the half wall. Whatever they are doing now isn't working. I think the Pens finished 1 for 5 yesterday on the PP.
  • I am failing to see why the fans and the press covering the Pens keep attacking the defensemen. Sure I understand that corp on hand can't get out of their zone efficiently and fail to spring forwards with the stretch pass; however, the Jets scored 1 goal and the mighty Leafs 2....lost both games. At some point Hornqvist, Perron, Cullen, Fehr and the rest of the forwards have to bury the freaking biscuit. Malkin had the game on his stick and hit the post. Letang whiffed on a rebound of his own shot. Hornqvist was supposed to be a factor in front of the goal but lacks quick hands.
  • Sergei Plotinkov might be the biggest waste of a contract ever. He makes the Kunitz bad deal look like a steal
All that said, I can't see the current Pens team making the playoffs. I believe Perron, Lovejoy, and Matt Cullen are all free agents after the season. Maybe you can grab a mid-tier prospect for any of the three. Kunitz's value might be relatively high right now as he is regaining some scoring touch? Move him just to free cap space for next season even if you get little in return. The Pens now have a great keeper, a rising star, and a solid number 2 goalie. MAF is probably a top 4 keeper in the NHL right now. Moving him would free $5 mil a year in cap room. I can't see this team winning in the next few years...but, he is relatively cheap as compared to the production from Hornqvist, Perron, and Kunitz. I might keep him. The Pens have $35 mil in Letang, Kessel, Malkin, and Crosby. Nobody will take Kessel or a damaged Letang. Crosby and Malkin have great value but at a huge cost as moving either would devastate the value of the franchise unless you could get a young star in return.

I am not sure what GMJR will do, but something must be done to reconfigure the roster both from an age and salary perspective. I am afraid it is going to be a long and frustrating next 3.5 months.

About the only value the Pens have on the roster.....or in WB/S......right now is Maatta (who's I assume is as close to untouchable as anyone in the organization) and perhaps, to a lesser extent, Pouliot. Now that I think about it, they probably aren't moving Dumoulin right now, either. Of course, they're largely out of #1 picks (which nobody wants GMJR trading anyway after tossing one in the garbage for Perron).

Malkin (more so) and Crosby have some value, but not at the price GMJR would demand.....and the only franchises who can practically afford them are budget teams (meaning not spending to the cap) who aren't looking to add major salary no matter where they're at in the standings. The Canadiens would probably deal a package of middling prospects like Jarrod Tinordi and Alex Galchenyuk, maybe Tomas Plekanic (to clear cap space), and maybe a pick for Sid.

But the Pens would almost assuredly be looking for someone like Pacioretty in return, and that's an absolute non-starter for Montreal. Of course, if the Canadiens continue to flounder this season, it's possible they might be willing to sweeten a proposed deal for Sid.

But, any deal with Montreal for Sid just isn't going to include the guy we (or perhaps I) want. Dealing from a position of weakness is a devastating position for a GM; if you don't believe it, go ask Garth Snow why he can't deal a top-pairing D-man.....arguably the most valuable position in the League these days.....like Travis Hamonic.

They do have some organizational depth in goal, but moving MAF until they're absolutely sure about Murray (still at least a year+ away).....or even Tristan Jarry, for that matter.....makes that a dangerous decision. Besides, $5 million for a legitimate #1 goaltender these days.....which even his skeptics would now agree is a reasonable description for MAF......is far from the worst deal on the team. Unfortunately, even if there were any thoughts about dealing him now, they've probably been scotched with this new concussion issue.

Obviously, Hornqvist and Perron are untradeable......I admit I remain shocked how far their production (and resulting reputations) have declined in the past year. And while Kunitz has been coming around, nobody is going to do GMJR any favors for an aging guy with an almost $4 million cap number. Maybe they decide Bonino isn't working out, but what's he worth ?? Like you, I assume the Pens are dead stuck with Letang, and left to pray he somehow rediscovers his form of the first half of last season.

As for Kessel, a guy with a goal-scorers' pedigree has value to anyone with decent centers (and especially if they're good on defense). But the notion he returns any kind of bonanza now is obviously nil. That said, I've been thinking the last month it's possible GMJR actually made the deal with the alternative notion PK could be an trade candidate down the road. After all, almost anyone chasing a Cup can use a documented goal-scorer, and might be willing to give up something to get one (especially one who isn't a FA anytime soon).

His value is clearly low today; but who knows what it's like 2 months from now......or in a year. Anyway, I'm not betting a ton of money right now that Kessel will be a long-timer in Pittsburgh.

In closing whatever I have to offer on this subject......which I think we'd ALL be happy to table IF the Pens could somehow recreate the 2nd and 3rd periods of last night's game a little more frequently......the team clearly has at least ONE more promising kid in Danny Sprong.

Oh, and for the record, Ryan Wilson opined on Hockey Buzz that any team who understands cap management......in light of Murray's recent play.......would already be considering the move of MAF at this season's trade deadline. If the playoffs aren't realistic at that point, I'm sure that IS a possibility.

But if they're in the race......and if so, Flower's play will almost assuredly have been a key contributing factor.....then it's hard to envision him going anywhere.

ADVERTISEMENT